View Full Version : The Suns believe they can win the NBA title

ALVAREZ6
02-01-2005, 06:09 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0201sunsnb0201.html

Players say 'why not?' to NBA title talk

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 1, 2005 12:00 AM

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Amaré Stoudemire seems to have the power of a soothsayer when he foretells where Steve Nash's passes are headed.

Suns fans can only hope he truly has such power, given the 2002 statement he made to Phoenix's other powerful basketball tandem - Jerry and Bryan Colangelo.

"I told them when they drafted me to give me three or four years and we'll win a championship," Stoudemire said. advertisement

The claim seems more appropriate with Phoenix among the elite at 36-10. Two wins from their first six-game road sweep ever, the Suns are openly talking about a championship in earnest for the first time.

There had been title allusions cast in long-term goals. Ever since Nash returned from injury and the Jim Jackson trade fast-forwarded the plan, the Suns' confidence about winning a title this season has grown.

"We're too good of a team to think we can't be a contender and can't win," Nash said of championship aspirations.

The coaching mantra is that the jump from a losing team to a 50-win team is tough, but the bump from 50 to 60 wins is even tougher. Yet, the Suns are on pace to leap from 29 wins to 64 wins, which would be one victory off the greatest turnaround in NBA history by San Antonio seven years ago.

Nash's off-season acquisition was made with the idea of assembling the Suns' first championship team. The notion then was that the Suns had a five-year window to make their move and add the necessary pieces along the way.

"It (a title) wasn't a goal," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said of the preseason, when he aimed for 50 wins. "Making the playoffs was the goal. We talk about it (a title) in ways of what we have to do to be a championship team. We've got a ways to go. Whether or not we've got the stuff to do it, that's way in the future."

D'Antoni did put up signs in every Suns locker before the season with words over the backdrop of a championship ring. It read: "The Ring . . . Commitment to the game . . . Commitment to winning . . . Commitment to teammates . . . You're in or you're out."

"You can't ever sell yourself short," said Stoudemire, averaging 31.5 points on 69 percent shooting in six games since Nash's return. "If we can do it this year, we have to go after it."

If the Suns don't, the six-man core returns next season, as long as they match any offer that restricted free agent Joe Johnson receives.

Nash is almost a consensus MVP pick. But when it comes to title talk, the Suns get a lot of "buts" and "ifs" about their experience, style and depth.

"I think we're taking a lot of the 'buts' and 'ifs' out of it," D'Antoni said.

Free throws

The Suns control D'Antoni's chances of coaching in the All-Star Game. The Suns will have the West's best record on the cutoff date Sunday if they win at Memphis today, at Minnesota on Wednesday and against New York at home Saturday.

• During this trip, Phoenix is averaging 126.3 points on 53 percent shooting and 47 percent accuracy from three-point range.

Extra Stout
02-01-2005, 06:12 PM
The Suns believe they can win the NBA title

...if Tim Duncan gets hit by a bus.

FromWayDowntown
02-01-2005, 06:14 PM
The Suns control D'Antoni's chances of coaching in the All-Star Game. The Suns will have the West's best record on the cutoff date Sunday if they win at Memphis today, at Minnesota on Wednesday and against New York at home Saturday.

I guess that's right -- only because the Suns will have played more games. Pop may still get his wish without having to cough up a game to earn a vacation.

desflood
02-01-2005, 06:15 PM
...if the earth falls through a black hole into an alternate universe.

Matrix
02-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Did anyone pick the Pistons to win last year? Hey I like the fact that they are young and gaining confidence, doesn't everyteam that makes the playoffs think they're going to win the championship? I would be more concerned if he said, "you know we don't have a shot to win this year, because they're better teams than us?...They're not cocky They're confident, people always get that mixed up....but I like this..And a Suns v Spurs WCF, hell i paid to watch that on PPV, where's don king :fro

GoSpurs21
02-01-2005, 06:28 PM
lets the suns TALK all they want, still gotta prove it in the playoffs. lets see if the suns have anything left in the tank by may (if they make it that far).

SPARKY
02-01-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm more concerned about the Pistons and then the Sonics than the Suns. Detroit, if they get their shit together, are capable of playing the style of defense that the Lakers did last postseason.

Stop taking a title for granted Spurs fans.

ALVAREZ6
02-01-2005, 06:38 PM
The Suns dream is gonna go down the drain when they face the Spurs in the play-offs.

They came all that way for nothing.

BigVee
02-01-2005, 06:42 PM
They're not cocky? Everytime I see them pull their jerseys forward to display the name I want to puke. They may be good, but QR and AS are a couple of punks. The pushups were a nice touch of class don't you think?

RobinsontoDuncan
02-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Yeah i think adding Jackson wasn't the thing they needed, in stead of adding one very good role player, they needed to add about 3 servicable ones to spell the starters. The suns will be outta gas come may, especially Steve Nash.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-01-2005, 06:47 PM
All this proves is that the crack in Phoenix is about as good as you can find anywhere else.

ShoogarBear
02-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Did anyone pick the Pistons to win last year?

Not a valid comparison. The Pistons came into last year as two-time division champions who flamed out in the playoffs.

The Suns are going to need at least another year, I think, to prove their staying power.

A fact that hasn't gone mentioned is that every other big-turnaround team (Spurs in 98, Spurs in 90, Celtics in 80) didn't win the championship that year (although the 98 Spurs and the Celtics won it the following year).

Matrix
02-01-2005, 07:01 PM
All this proves is that the crack in Phoenix is about as good as you can find anywhere else.

Actually not known for the crack here but a better one would be the speed, They do call us the "Valley of the Spun." As far as the jersey and pushups, yeah AS has some maturing to do, he is only just barely 22, I remember 22, I did some foolish things...But you notice in the column their intial goal was to make the playoffs, now they're extending their goal, I like that. Odds are against them, but I like the fact they are gaining confidence in themselves.

Matrix
02-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Not a valid comparison. The Pistons came into last year as two-time division champions who flamed out in the playoffs.

But did anyone pick them? Did anyone say they had shot last year?

ShoogarBear
02-01-2005, 07:05 PM
But did anyone pick them? Did anyone say they had shot last year?

After they got Rasheed, yes.

Jimcs50
02-01-2005, 08:13 PM
The Suns have as good a shot as anyone.
If you think the Spurs will just sleep walk through a series with them, you are even dumber than I thought.

SirChaz
02-01-2005, 08:26 PM
If the reporters ask them, what are they supposed to say? That they have no chance?

With the possible exception of the Spurs, there is no dominant team this year.

Obivously the Suns have to play better defense and get some breaks but they are clearly one of the teams that have a chance.

Whether Spurs fans believe it or not shouldn't bother them. :)

TDfan2007
02-02-2005, 12:36 AM
...if Tim Duncan gets hit by a bus.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

samikeyp
02-02-2005, 12:45 AM
If the reporters ask them, what are they supposed to say? That they have no chance?

very true. they have played well...why not believe it?

nothing wrong in thinking it. but reality could prove to be a bitch.

T Park
02-02-2005, 01:05 AM
I remember 22, I did some foolish things.

Tony Parker is 22, and do you see him doing stupid shit like that??

Tim Duncan never did stuff like that his rookie year.

Chalking it up to youth is ascanine.

Maybe lack of discipline on the team, and Stoudamire being a punk are the reasons.

Rummpd
02-02-2005, 01:53 AM
It ain't happening. Suns will not even make WCF. Spurs vs. either Mavs or Kings as both Sonics and Suns face growing pain. Short run:

Game of which "losing streak" blinks first now, Tpups of Suns.

"I told them when they drafted me to give me three or four years and we'll win a championship," Stoudemire said." Garnett I am sure thought the same thing and Nash for all his brilliance does not have a history of taking a team to the finals.

I am predicting right now Suns lose again to Wolves and then begin a slow spin back to reality falling several games back of Spurs in race for 1.

MadDoc

boutons
02-02-2005, 02:04 AM
"Suns lose again to Wolves"

no fucking way. The Wolves don't hustle the way the Spurs and Grizz did end-to-end to beat PHX, and the Wolves don't have the offense to keep up.

T Park
02-02-2005, 02:10 AM
Suns have to play there tommarow.

Could be a close one, Phoenix could be getting fatigued.

boutons
02-02-2005, 02:21 AM
"Phoenix could be getting fatigued."

It's a second of B2B for Minny, also.

TWolves suck, can't get it up anymore. PHX, even at half power, will kill the Wolves.

exstatic
02-02-2005, 08:26 AM
The Suns have as good a shot as anyone.
Nope. Sorry, running teams just don't cut it deep in the playoffs. See: Dallas Mavs, 2002-2004.

boutons
02-02-2005, 09:15 AM
PHX is a lot more powerful offense than DAL was in 02/03, so I don't think your DAL analogy really fits.

Nobody's going to get past PHX if they don't stop PHX's offense, and it takes a very tough 48-min defense, not a sporadic, streaky defense.

example: Short 3 key rotation guys, MEM out-hustled and defended PHX into 16 TOs and cold 3-pt shooting, while MEM hit some huge shots in crunch time. MEM did it on both ends. The game was closer than the 9 pt difference. A tremendous effort by MEM, but PHX never folded and were right there at the end. Nash obviously screwed up badly, (for a Canadian, he's fiery little dude), and probably cost PHX the game. PHX played hard and well and got beat, they didn't give the game away.

PHX has as much right, fully justified, as the Spurs or any team in the Top4 or 5 to think they can win the Title.

SirChaz
02-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Nope. Sorry, running teams just don't cut it deep in the playoffs. See: Dallas Mavs, 2002-2004.

Dallas never had an inside player like Stoudemire.

The main cut on Phoenix is their youth, inexperience, and immaturity. I think it is probably a long shot this season as well but they started the season the youngest team in the league.

Extra Stout
02-03-2005, 04:00 PM
I think Phoenix is clearly the second-best team in the league. They will look back on this season and be proud of going from 29 wins to the WCF.