View Full Version : Free Agent: Shaun Livingston

mystargtr34
06-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Unrestricted.

Throwing it out there.

T Park
06-28-2008, 08:46 PM
well thats an interesting prospect.

While I think the Spurs are set at point guard with the drafting of Hill, it would be interesting to sign Randy, and he could play some as the third string point, small ball shooting guard, or safety valve in case Hill doesn't pan out.

I'm for it.

Darkwaters
06-28-2008, 08:48 PM
How much would he go for you think? He hasn't exactly done a lot recently. But the Clips were really high on him at the beginning of this contract too.

mystargtr34
06-28-2008, 09:03 PM
:lol did T-Park just confuse Shaun with Randy?

Well the Clips are desperate for a PG, and yet they decide to turn down a qualifying offer for Shaun.... so i think hes pretty much reached rock bottom... although it would have cost them over $5 mil.

I think they would prefer to spend part of that on Beno... although Beno's agent says hes after the full MLE, saying his client will be a bargain for that :lol.

Anyway, i think he could be had for the LLE, but now that we have Georgo Hill... i assume we would get rid of JV and use that spot to bring Horry back.... or stay with 5 bigs and bring Hairston on. This is of course assuming Hairston and Gist both do enough to make the roster.

Parker/Hill/Livingston
MLE/Manu/Barry/Hairston
Bowen/Udoke/Gist
Duncan/Mahinmi/Bonner
Oberto/Thomas

But i dont see that happening with the Geroge Hill drafting.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 09:04 PM
A little too injury-prone for my liking.

midgetonadonkey
06-28-2008, 09:05 PM
2F2B796QeFk

I doubt he will ever come back from this.

Russ
06-28-2008, 09:16 PM
I was there the night he injured his knee -- it was the most devastating knee injury I've ever seen (and, unlike most knee injuries, you could actually see what happened). It was during the the '06-'07 season and he hasn't stepped on the court since.

Sway
06-28-2008, 09:29 PM
DAMN! That was painfull to watch! I dont see how someone can come back from that.

Spurtacus
06-28-2008, 09:31 PM
2F2B796QeFk

He's coming back. Livingston has been working hard on a comeback. Question is, how will he hold up when he does?

mystargtr34
06-28-2008, 09:32 PM
I think most ppl know about the injury.... so far thats what defines his career...but hes talented as hell... maybe he was worth a look before we picked up Hill.

tav1
06-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Ugh, he hasn't played ball in 2 years and wasn't very good then.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 10:39 PM
2F2B796QeFk

Damn that's nasty.

Bookmarked.

Obstructed_View
06-28-2008, 11:30 PM
2F2B796QeFk

Shit. I forgot how bad that video was. Fortunately my wife was digging a splinter out of my hand as I was watching it so when I made a noise at watching his knee bend that direction she thought she did it.

big daddy russ
06-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Ugh, he hasn't played ball in 2 years and wasn't very good then.

He was 21 years old and was learning under Sam Cassell. He was on his way to becoming the Clips' sixth man as a creator and scorer.

He's huge for a PG... about 6'6" or so... and can play all three perimeter positions. If he can regain some of his explosiveness and just a little of his athleticism, would be a great option at the two to give Manu a breather.

If he comes cheap (real cheap), he's worth a gamble, but I'd rather show loyalty to Horry than take up a roster spot for a guy who may or may not be back in another year or two.

Juanobili
06-29-2008, 01:32 AM
is he even ready to play?

Blackjack
06-29-2008, 01:42 AM
If he wasn't so injury-prone he'd be ideal for the Spurs.

A 6'7" point who's capable of guarding the 2 (and sometimes 3) would give us alot of versatility going big/small. Allowing Parker or Hill to play the 2 on occassion would be another added bonus.

Hopefully he's able to prove people wrong, the way McDyess did, and salvage his career. I don't see the Spurs having the roster spot or being willing to take the risk, but I hope someone takes a chance on him.

Blackjack
06-29-2008, 01:47 AM
is he even ready to play?

IIRC... I think ESPN reported that he was cleared to start playing again not too long ago

exstatic
06-29-2008, 08:18 AM
I would think the Clip's doctors are more familiar with his case and situation than anyone. If the Clips didn't even want to make him a qualifying offer to keep him restricted that speaks volumes.

montgod
06-29-2008, 08:27 AM
I would think the Clip's doctors are more familiar with his case and situation than anyone. If the Clips didn't even want to make him a qualifying offer to keep him restricted that speaks volumes.

Well, to an extent. It was moreso that he was owed a huge offer... like around the 5 million dollar range so of course they don't want to pay that out until he truly proves himself. I have a feeling he will return to the CLips at a cheaper rate if someone else doesn't bite.

I just think of Livingston now equating to the J. Williams deal (Chicago from Duke) and don't think he will ever be the same. Sad... but that's why you get your money upfront which he did.

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-29-2008, 12:38 PM
I hope he signs with the Nuggets for cheap :smokin......

of course that's not going to happen coz the Nuggets are in luxury tax hell. JR is the first priority and sadly i think the PG postion will be run by Chucky with Green backing up, UNLESS the Nuggets pull off a trade for Hinrich.

cant w8 4 2012
07-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Take a chance?He's been let go by the clips.:smokin

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2008, 11:54 PM
He's make a great injured reserve player, he's the best in the league at that position.

romad_20
07-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Why? he's a point guard who's coming off of a horrible injury. Doesn't really address a need.

cant w8 4 2012
07-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Why? he's a point guard who's coming off of a horrible injury. Doesn't really address a need.

just a question bro. he is 6'8 and long limbed,can't be too spensive.relax

Tully365
07-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Signing him to the minimum and letting him work his way back in the D League would not be very expensive.... and while it's possible he never gets back, it's also a low risk high reward chance that you get a lottery guy for almost nothing. Someone will do it. I'm rooting for him to make it back. That video of his injury still turns my stomach, and I've seen it 20 times, each time vowing to never look at it again... It will be a great story if he ever plays again.

angelbelow
07-10-2008, 01:25 AM
could be tempting, but with mason and hill here i dont see us even calling his agent to see whats up.

Tully365
07-10-2008, 01:48 AM
could be tempting, but with mason and hill here i dont see us even calling his agent to see whats up.

Yeah-- I could see Cuban doing it. For him, it would be like playing the nickel slots in Vegas for twenty minutes.

Indazone
07-10-2008, 01:56 AM
even if he comes back he will always forever be tentative around the rim. He will be looking to protect that knee. I see him as a perimeter player taking safe jump shots and making the occasionals safe layup. He'll go to a team that is dire need of a pt guard and is willing to take the risk. That being said, it isn't any playoff bound team.

baseline bum
07-10-2008, 02:02 AM

My thoughts too. Too bad... dude was an outstanding defender.

rj215
07-10-2008, 02:06 AM
Unrestricted.

Throwing it out there.

who'd wheel him onto the court before games??

Sissiborgo
07-10-2008, 05:24 AM
I think the spurs need a PG that can score i mean vaughn ain't scoring but a killer PG focused and controls the game but i think we need a nother PG!:king

spursjustice
07-10-2008, 07:42 AM
I think he's worth the risk. The guy is at least 6'6", a decent passer and is still young. When he came out of HS people likened him to Magic. We all know he's no Magic but he's got a chance to be a decent player IF his knee holds up. What's the status on his knee? Fact that the Clippers renounced their rights to him, does that mean his knee will never heal enough to play at the speed of a NBA game?

hsxvvd
07-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Roll the dice... get it done.

romad_20
07-10-2008, 09:08 AM
just a question bro. he is 6'8 and long limbed,can't be too spensive.relax

i wasn't responding with any ill will, maybe my post just sound condesending.:lol i'm just saying doesn't seem like he fits any of the needs the Spurs have. They have Vaughn, Parker and HIll so an injured PG just seems overkill at the position. I don't htink he'll make it all the way back and if he does he'll alwyas have trouble with that knee. I hope he proves me wrong.

tav1
07-10-2008, 10:02 AM
I'd be in favor of the Spurs working him out. But he wasn't great even when healthy. His defense was noteworthy, and he has great size, which keeps him in the conversation. But he was so thin he couldn't finish around the rim and his jump shot was terrible.

jack sommerset
07-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Take him. Spurs have a hard time landing FAs. This is an oppurtunty. If it doesn't work out so what. Spurs are not getting any good players.

duncan228
07-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Take a chance?He's been let go by the clips.:smokin

The AP article:

Clips renounce rights to Livingston

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/07/10/livingston.clippers.ap/index.html

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 10:31 AM
A richer team will snap him up for a few million a year and see if he can come around.

texbumTHElife
07-11-2008, 05:59 PM
OK, I know we are scraping the bottom of the barrel here, and he hasn't played in forever, but if we could get this guy with a portion of the money we have left, would you be interested? He could, if healthy, full fill the slasher/combo guard roll we have been looking for. he has great size and explosive ability and would make a goof back court mate off the bench with Manu. Thoughts?

Brutalis
07-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Plus he lost his starting job it looks like. He could play his natural position for us.

I don't wanna take the chance on an injury prone player however.

duncan228
07-11-2008, 06:05 PM
There was some conversation about him:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100131

texbumTHElife
07-11-2008, 06:06 PM
There was some conversation about him:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100131

Sorry, I missed that. Mods please feel free to merge.

I think if we could get him on the cheap, he could prove to be a big pick up for us.

Taking it to the Hole
07-11-2008, 06:20 PM
That guy is a magnet for injuries. No thanks, just because he is cheap doesn't mean he won't be a liability in the future.

angelbelow
07-11-2008, 06:55 PM
tempting. but our backcourt is full.

SPURSGOAT
07-11-2008, 07:19 PM
we alrady have enough combo guards.... besides he is too injury prone.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-11-2008, 07:25 PM
China doll. Pass.

iggypop123
07-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Damn that's nasty.

Bookmarked.

if you thought that was bad the la times website had a picture of his destroyed knee on their site with the story. the knee cap shouldnt be behind your leg. that was nasty

spurman20
07-11-2008, 08:20 PM
he would be a good pick up if he could be had cheap and just work on getting healthy and stronger next yr....he is very young and if his knee holds up he looks Like A Hardaway 2.....could play both guard spots and could allow Tony to be more of a scorer and move off picks.......but again it would be a future play not for next yr so I think they will pass

Tully365
07-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Shit. I forgot how bad that video was. Fortunately my wife was digging a splinter out of my hand as I was watching it so when I made a noise at watching his knee bend that direction she thought she did it.

That's funny. When I showed the video to my wife months ago, she covered her eyes and glared at me and said, "why did you have to show that to me?!" Then we watched it three more times. It was such a horrifying injury, and I can't help but root really hard for him to make it back.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2008, 01:08 AM
Parker.
Hill.
Vaughn.
Mason, Jr.

Why the hell do we need to spend money on a PG who spends his season on the IL?

Mr. Body
07-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Parker.
Hill.
Vaughn.
Mason, Jr.

Why the hell do we need to spend money on a PG who spends his season on the IL?

Because he's far better than three of those guys and young. But it's not happening.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-12-2008, 05:42 AM
:lol did T-Park just confuse Shaun with Randy?

Yes, yes he did. Randy retired back in about 1998! :lmao

Why are we even talking PG when it's blatantly obvious the team is going with Parker, Hill and Vaughn?

Tully365
07-12-2008, 05:54 AM
With a full recovery, and some added weight, would be an interesting small Forward/point forward/point guard option.