PDA

View Full Version : Shaping the future: 2008-2009

Darkwaters
06-28-2008, 09:48 PM
With the draft now behind us yet another piece comes into play for the roster next season. Things are beginning to shape up. Free agency is nearly upon us now and the bidding will begin. Summer League will also soon be here and the possibility to sign some undrafted FAs is always out there. So lets look at our options right now.

As it stands the Spurs have these players under contract:

PG:
Tony Parker
Jacque Vaughn
George Hill (not yet signed)

Wing:
Manu Ginobili
Bruce Bowen
Ime Udoka
Brent Barry

Fabricio Oberto
Ian Mahinmi
Matt Bonner

The Spurs have some special rights to a few players as well:

Expiring Contracts:
Michael Finley
Kurt Thomas
Robert Horry
Damon Stoudemire

2008 Draft Picks:
George Hill
James Gist
Malik Hairston

The Draft n' Stashees
Robertas Javtokas
Viktor Sanikidze
Others available but not listed

Here is a list of a few of the players that the Spurs might be able to acquire in free agency:

Potential Free Agents: (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98699)
Wings:
Ryan Gomes
Mickael Pietrus
Kelenna Azubuike
Ron Artest
JR Smith
James Jones
Tony Allen
Matt Barnes
Ramūnas Šiškauskas
Mickael Gelabale
Juan Dixon
Carlos Delfino
Trevor Ariza
Walter Hermann
Sasha Vujacic
Bostjan Nachbar
Gordon Giricek
Bonzi Wells
Rod Benson

Adonal Foyle
Patrick O’Bryant

Intriguing Undrafted FA's
Gary Forbes
Jamont Gordon
Pat Calathes
Will Daniels
Keith Brumbaugh
Marcus Dove

The Spurs hold a trade exception from the Beno Udrih trade. There are a few players that have been identified as possible targets. Most of these are purely speculative, but as a GM I'd surely be placing a phone call regarding their availability if I had interest.

Beno Trade Exception Players: (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100029&highlight=beno+trade+exception)
Wings:
Wilson Chandler
Renaldo Balkman
Rodney Carney
Joey Graham
Shawne Williams
Morris Almond
Marco Belinelli
Alando Tucker

Sean Williams
Josh Boone
Jason Smith
Oleksiy Pecherov
Chuck Hayes

Analyzing the Roster
As stated before, the roster for next year looks like this right now:

Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Ginobili/Barry
Bowen/Udoka
Duncan/Bonner
Oberto/Mahinmi

Of the players listed all are expected to be back for next season with the possible exception of two. Matt Bonner seems to always be a possible trade victim. Also, the performance of the Barry/Ginobili PG duo in the playoffs proved viable. And Jacque Vaughn's days might be numbered to open up more slots on the team for youth. So, we have one of two options (with no trades).

Keep Vaughn Option
PG: Parker, Hill, Vaughn
SG: MLE FA, Ginobili, Barry, Hairston
SF: Bowen, Udoka, Gist
PF: Duncan, Oberto, Bonner
C: Mahinmi, Thomas

Buyout Vaughn Option
PG: Parker, Hill, Barry
SG: MLE FA, Ginobili, Hairston
PF: Duncan, Bonner, LLE FA
C: Mahinmi, Thomas, Oberto

(Players in italics are questionable to make roster)

What does everyone think?

AC#21_TD ERA
06-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Resign Thomas he's our best centre we have. No one would want the garbage truck Vaughn just put that shit cunt in the doghouse along with the dud i cant get a rebound Oberto. Try to sign JR Smith or the Ron Ron. We do those things will get our title back.

tav1
06-28-2008, 09:54 PM
I think you deserve an A for effort. You've done well in summarizing about 10,000 posts. This is a nice reference sheet. The only thing it doesn't include is salary cap information, but most of us, save the kids that wander through on occassion, have that figured out.

tav1
06-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Oh, and throw me a bone and include Rod Benson under possible free agent posts.

A.H 21-50
06-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Imo the spurs would have to let vaughn and bonner
ressign horry and thomas

use the Mle or less ( depends who) on a wing , i think that pietrus or azabuike are more realistic choices thant smith or artest

but my first option would be artest, then smith and both azabuike and pietrus

i don't think pietrus would be a so bad option for sa despite i don't like him a lot and as a frenchman i saw him playing with french nt and the warriors and wasn't impressed

after that sign a big more like sean williams if he's available than diop or foyle
look at o'bryant too or guys mentioned like boone or smith

then adjust the roster if gist/or hairston were waived with finley and others fa......

You end up with :

PG Parker/Hill/Barry
SG Smith/Ginobili/ Hairston
SF Bowen/Udoka/Gist
PF Duncan/Mahinmi/Horry
C Thomas/Oberto/Williams

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2008, 11:46 PM
vaughn, horry, oberto, horry has to go seriously

finley should be in it also...

DPG21920
06-29-2008, 12:05 AM
How are you thinking that Sean Williams or Josh Boone could be had for the Beno Exception? They are not free agents and both talented centers? If the Spurs could get either, but especially Boone, that would be outstanding imo.

Spurtacus
06-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Great post. Bookmarked.

I would prefer to see Bonner, Vaughn, and Finley go. Horry is a maybe depending upon if we fill his position or not. Hopefully (and i mean hopefully!) our three rookies can make the cut and play some minutes.

loveforthegame
06-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Nice breakdown. It will be interesting to see how the Spurs move forward once free agency starts.

In Parker's interview he talked about how Pop likes stability and how he thought only 2-3 new players would come in. He could be wrong, of course, but it also makes sense with the love Pop has with veterans.

Mahinmi will be the young big man addition.

Hill is the young backup pg.

Use the MLE to get someone like Azubuike or Gomes or whoever there target is and you get your young 2/3 player.

If they can dump Bonner and/or Vaughn then one of the other rookies might be able to make it. Otherwise I see them bringing back both Horry and Finley unless one of them (Haiston/Gist) blows them away in summer league/training camp. I just don't see 3 rookies on this team. Not saying I agree with it but I can see it being the Spurs thinking. They'd be able to add some more youth next season when more roster spots are open.

The 3 italics are the youth movement players.

Oberto - Thomas - Mahinmi
Duncan - Bonner - Horry
Bowen - Udoka
MLE - Ginobli - Barry - Finley
Parker - Hill - Vaughn

Finley, Horry, Bonner, and Vaughn would be the musical IR chairs.

barbacoataco
06-29-2008, 02:25 AM
I don't see how the Spurs can keep both Bonner and Horry next year. If Bonner is never going to play again, and Horry is iffy at best during the regular season, that is two PF's that don't contribute at all.

Also, I personally would love to see Finley go. All he brings is spot up shooting and someone like James Jones would be a big improvement. Finley has declined every year since the Spurs got him in 2006. Next year he will be even slower and less athletic.

mrspurs
06-29-2008, 08:07 AM
yes great post....but i still dont see timmy getting any help downlow...imo spurs must trade to get another post option next to timmy...kurt is old and way to short..and fab well we all know fab.(choke artist)...get timmy some help downlow and we will be fine.....i wouldnt waste time on jr.smith or ron...there has tobe some kind of package deal the spurs can make toget a big..........

AFBlue
06-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Best Off-Season Thread: Darkwaters FTW!

It's a very good synopsis of the team's current roster and a very good list of potential acquisitions.

My Thoughts:

Keep Vaughn and Thomas - Both are steady veterans that can give energy and defense. Plus, neither Hill or Mahinmi have proven themselves worthy. Also, I have questions about Barry's ability to handle backup PG for an entire season at his age, and Bonner's ability to play enough defense to stay on the court.

Get swingman depth - I know everyone is clamoring for JR Smith and Ron Artest, but I think one of the players that's being underrated right now is already on this team...Ime Udoka. If the Spurs don't bring back Finley, I could see where Udoka steps up to be the "starter" or get a big share of the swingman minutes.

That's why I would be happy with the Spurs getting solid, but unspectacular guys like Pietrus, Jones, Siskausas, Giricek, Allen, etc. Any of them could share time and improve the overall depth of the position. Pietrus is the preference because he's both athletic and can play multiple positions.

Keep Horry option open - If the Spurs expend the entire MLE on a wing player, it's a no-brainer to bring back Horry. But, if they go with one of the lesser options and have some money left over to play with, I'd like to see them go for Najera or Hermann. Either way I'd be happy.

Well that's what I've got....should be an exciting rest of the summer. Thanks again to Darkwaters for the thread.

SpursChampsIII
06-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Oh, and throw me a bone and include Rod Benson under possible free agent posts.

It's weak to ask for props. People either give you credit or they don't, but don't fvking beg for it.

nfg3
06-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Great post! Thanks for your efforts. :tu

There are a lot of possibilities available to the Spurs as Darkwaters has detailed. My concern for the upcoming season is the status of the youth movement. if we retain both Horry and Thomas how many minutes does that give Ian? If he doesn't get at least 15mpg then I think you will have done a disservice to the team. He needs the minutes to mature regardless of his mistakes(of course there is a limit to that, too). It seems that with the Hill pick and subsequent moves Ian has been given the green light to prove himself. Now it's up to him. I personnally would like to go after JR Smith or Kelenna Azubuike and then maybe Artest (I'm still not sold on his chemistry with the Spurs but then again Smith would also fall into that category, too).

As for Vaughn I think his days are numbered especially if Hill proves to be just a decent backup for TP. Bonner is also in that category, too. If he doesn't prove himself this year then his contract extension will turn out to be a bust - but many have laready said that:wow I don't think that the Spurs can get much for either player and they would be a throw in if a trade did come about. And as mentioned before we can't trade our 2010 1st round pick since our 2009 one has already been traded - can't trade consecutive years 1st round picks. What do we have besides the Big Three to trade that other teams wuld really want? Not much from where I stand. But creative trades are part of the business.

Biggems
06-29-2008, 11:46 AM
With the draft now behind us yet another piece comes into play for the roster next season. Things are beginning to shape up. Free agency is nearly upon us now and the bidding will begin. Summer League will also soon be here and the possibility to sign some undrafted FAs is always out there. So lets look at our options right now.

As it stands the Spurs have these players under contract:

PG:
Tony Parker
Jacque Vaughn
George Hill (not yet signed)

Wing:
Manu Ginobili
Bruce Bowen
Ime Udoka
Brent Barry

Fabricio Oberto
Ian Mahinmi
Matt Bonner

The Spurs have some special rights to a few players as well:

Expiring Contracts:
Michael Finley
Kurt Thomas
Robert Horry
Damon Stoudemire

2008 Draft Picks:
George Hill
James Gist
Malik Hairston

The Draft n' Stashees
Robertas Javtokas
Viktor Sanikidze
Others available but not listed

Here is a list of a few of the players that the Spurs might be able to acquire in free agency:

Potential Free Agents: (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98699)
Wings:
Ryan Gomes
Mickael Pietrus
Kelenna Azubuike
Ron Artest
JR Smith
James Jones
Tony Allen
Matt Barnes
Ramūnas Šiškauskas
Mickael Gelabale
Juan Dixon
Carlos Delfino
Trevor Ariza
Walter Hermann
Sasha Vujacic
Bostjan Nachbar
Gordon Giricek
Bonzi Wells
Rod Benson

Adonal Foyle
Patrick O’Bryant

Intriguing Undrafted FA's
Gary Forbes
Jamont Gordon
Pat Calathes
Will Daniels
Keith Brumbaugh
Marcus Dove

The Spurs hold a trade exception from the Beno Udrih trade. There are a few players that have been identified as possible targets. Most of these are purely speculative, but as a GM I'd surely be placing a phone call regarding their availability if I had interest.

Beno Trade Exception Players: (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100029&highlight=beno+trade+exception)
Wings:
Wilson Chandler
Renaldo Balkman
Rodney Carney
Joey Graham
Shawne Williams
Morris Almond
Marco Belinelli
Alando Tucker

Sean Williams
Josh Boone
Jason Smith
Oleksiy Pecherov
Chuck Hayes

Analyzing the Roster
As stated before, the roster for next year looks like this right now:

Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Ginobili/Barry
Bowen/Udoka
Duncan/Bonner
Oberto/Mahinmi

Of the players listed all are expected to be back for next season with the possible exception of two. Matt Bonner seems to always be a possible trade victim. Also, the performance of the Barry/Ginobili PG duo in the playoffs proved viable. And Jacque Vaughn's days might be numbered to open up more slots on the team for youth. So, we have one of two options (with no trades).

Keep Vaughn Option
PG: Parker, Hill, Vaughn
SG: MLE FA, Ginobili, Barry, Hairston
PF: Duncan, Oberto, Bonner
C: Mahinmi, Thomas

Buyout Vaughn Option
PG: Parker, Hill, Barry
SG: MLE FA, Ginobili, Hairston
PF: Duncan, Bonner, LLE FA
C: Mahinmi, Thomas, Oberto

(Players in italics are questionable to make roster)

What does everyone think?

great post, but I added those 3 names in bold for undrafted FAs....that is if Dove did actually come out.....but I still want Keith Brumbaugh.

Biggems
06-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Trade away Bonner and Vaughn

Sign Gomes to the MLE, Almond (Beno's exemption), Pecherov (smaller exemption), Hill, Hairston, and Brumbaugh

Re-sign Horry (vet minimum)

C - Oberto, Mahimni, Pecherov
PF - Duncan, Gomes, Horry
SF - Bowen, Udoka, Brumbaugh
SG - Manu, Almond, Hairston
PG - Parker, Hill, Barry

Then the following year
C - Oberto, Mahimni, Pecherov
PF - Duncan, Gomes
SF - Bowen, Brumbaugh
SG - Manu, Almond, Hairston
PG - Parker, Hill

Dex
06-29-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm tired of seeing Vaughn on the floor. I really don't wanna go through another full-season of nailbiting his minutes.

That's my only contribution for the moment.

kobyz
06-29-2008, 12:23 PM
From the free agents that make sense as far as money We should sign Ryan Gomes, give him 4 milion per year for 2 year and a team option for the third.
sign Ryan Gomes will give us more option: we can use him to guard the stongs SF, we can use him as the fourth scorer, we can use as a 4 in a short lineup, he will give us another rebounder. i think it will be great to have him!!

than we should resign Thomas for one year, and than we can give a roster spot to Gist to improve our athleticism, than we should look at Hriston - if he will impress in the summer league we should let him a roster spot if not than sign Finley on the minimum.

this is the roster that i see for next season:

PG: Parker/Hill/Vaughn
SG: Ginobili/Barry/Hriston(Finley)
SF: Bowen/Udoka/Gist
PF: Duncan/Gomes/Mahinmi
C: Thomas/Oberto/Bonner

coopdogg3
06-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Josh Childress would be a good FA option as well. Unknown if Atlanta will give him a 4+ million qualifying offer. Could be had for the MLE possibly.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm sure Childress will get the QO from Atlanta. Their cap situation is pretty good.

Biggems
06-29-2008, 01:12 PM
From the free agents that make sense as far as money We should sign Ryan Gomes, give him 4 milion per year for 2 year and a team option for the third.
sign Ryan Gomes will give us more option: we can use him to guard the stongs SF, we can use him as the fourth scorer, we can use as a 4 in a short lineup, he will give us another rebounder. i think it will be great to have him!!

than we should resign Thomas for one year, and than we can give a roster spot to Gist to improve our athleticism, than we should look at Hriston - if he will impress in the summer league we should let him a roster spot if not than sign Finley on the minimum.

this is the roster that i see for next season:

PG: Parker/Hill/Vaughn
SG: Ginobili/Barry/Hriston(Finley)
SF: Bowen/Udoka/Gist
PF: Duncan/Gomes/Mahinmi
C: Thomas/Oberto/Bonner

I like the idea of using Gomes in the same way the Hawks use Josh Smith and the Kings use Artest.....not a bad Idea at all.

DPG21920
06-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Childress has not received a QO yet? That is surprising, is the deadline not tomorrow?

wildbill2u
06-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Dorell Wright is a restricted FA who got an offer from Miami. Spurs reportedly were interested in him for several years. Could be the long 3 we've wanted.

2007-08 Statistics
PPG7.9RPG5.00 APG1.4EFF+ 11.50
Born: Dec 2, 1985
Height: 6-9 / 2,06
Weight: 210 lbs. / 95,3 kg.
High School: South Kent Prep HS (Lawndale, CA)
Years Pro: 3

The George Hill
06-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Spurs fans, fear not. For George Hill will indeed be signed to a contract.

My sincerest condolences to you, Darkwaters, on your unfortunate athletic prowess. George Hill can assure you, however, that George Hill has a far greater leaping capacity than that of your Matthew Bartleby Bonner.

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Keep Vaughn and put him in the role that he was originally signed for - 3rd PG.

Remember, it was only because Beno completely sucked that Vaughn originally received PT. And - as mediocre as he was - Vaughn was a huge upgrade in that slot for the 2007 season.

If you let him go, then you have to find another veteran insurance policy to play behind Tony & Hill. Good luck finding anybody better or cheaper than Vaughn who would be willing to be the third PG - it won't happen.

Gorge Hill
06-30-2008, 12:41 AM
PG Hill/Parker/Barry
SG Ginobili/Hill/Hairston
SF Bowen/Hill/Udoka/Gist
PF Duncan/Hill/Mahinmi
C Thomas/Oberto/Williams

Mr Hill will play 40mpg, tyvm

Indazone
06-30-2008, 01:22 AM
I love 14 yr olds.

tp2021
06-30-2008, 01:23 AM
I love 14 yr olds.
WHAT?!

theres no takin that one back.

Spurtacus
06-30-2008, 02:38 AM
Expiring Contracts:
Michael Finley bye bye
Kurt Thomas resign
Robert Horry maybe
Damon Stoudemire GTFO

anakha
06-30-2008, 02:46 AM
I love 14 yr olds.

That is just plain wrong on so many different levels. :lol

Darkwaters
06-30-2008, 07:03 AM
Keep Vaughn and put him in the role that he was originally signed for - 3rd PG.

Remember, it was only because Beno completely sucked that Vaughn originally received PT. And - as mediocre as he was - Vaughn was a huge upgrade in that slot for the 2007 season.

If you let him go, then you have to find another veteran insurance policy to play behind Tony & Hill. Good luck finding anybody better or cheaper than Vaughn who would be willing to be the third PG - it won't happen.

You make a valid point. The coaching staff might feel the need to have 3 full-time PGs on the team. And they might feel that Barry is not a capable full-time PG at this stage in his career. Whatever the reasoning, the staff might absolutely want a 3rd PG. If that is the case then Jacque Vaughn needs to stay. He knows the system, is reasonably capable and also dirt cheap. While this team needs youth at most of our positions, we most definiately do NOT need more youth at PG. We simply need a capable player at minimum dollars. Thats Vaughn all the way.

If the front office would consider utilizing the Barry/Gino PG duo as our "3rd PG," however, then I'd be all for it. And actually, in all honesty I'd like to see the Spurs' 3rd PG eventually be a true combo guard: somebody 6'4 or taller with legit PG skills that can also play on the wing. I would want somebody tall enough to not be an absolute liability on defense when playing on the wing and capable of playing both positions with fluidity. They would likely play very little PG when there were no injuries and spend most of their time in the off-guard slot. But thats just my long-term hopes and probably won't see fruition for sometime (if ever).