PDA

View Full Version : What about Gerald Green?

DaDakota
06-29-2008, 11:38 AM
As a Rockets fan, I want us to go after him, but he probably fits into the Spurs better.

He is a 6'8" SF/SG with a 48" vertical.......he averaged 10ppg in his 2nd year at the age of 20 with Boston, and has since been in two situations in which he just didn't fit.

He needs a team that will train him, and allow him to learn around professionals.

Both Houston and San Antonio qualify....you guys could really use him, IMHO.

He is only 22 years old to boot, and would be a senior in college this year.

DD

whottt
06-29-2008, 11:41 AM
He doesn't have it mentally.....

I'm not saying he won't get it mentally...but that something a player has to do themselves...no coach in the world can make them want to be better without them first wanting to do it. And then once they want to do it, they have to listen and work at it. And there is scant evidence that Green has that motivation at this point in his development.

He's not ever going to be as good as his talent.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-29-2008, 11:43 AM
If Hairston fails, then yes.

Biggems
06-29-2008, 11:43 AM
no thank you...he doesn't have much to offer as far as basketball intellect, or even social skills. He is a dumbass who is a freakish athlete. He hasn't spent the necessary time working on the weak aspects of his game or even the weak aspects of his character.

He is a great fit for the Rockets....you guys can keep that assclown.

DaDakota
06-29-2008, 11:47 AM
I think he has plenty mentally, he has just been with two horrible franchises, and has not had time to be trained.

You guys don't think him being around Pop, Manu, Duncan, and Parker etc.....would teach him how to be a professional?

I think he could become a great player in the right situation, and that has to be on a team with established leaders, and a system.

To me, that is San Antonio.

Heck, he would probably only cost the LLE.....

DD

JamStone
06-29-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't think he fits the Spurs well at all.

Too young and doesn't appear to have the toughness Pop likes. And, indications are also he doesn't have a great basketball IQ either. That doesn't fit the Spurs at all.

Tippecanoe
06-29-2008, 11:49 AM
i gave up on GG a long time ago. he's got loads of talent, but absolutely no drive to improve on anything or to listen to anyone.

allen iverson is a practice warrior compared to green.

Steve-O-Matic
06-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Good athlete, but not a basketball player. His NBA days are over.

DaDakota
06-29-2008, 11:54 AM
i gave up on GG a long time ago. he's got loads of talent, but absolutely no drive to improve on anything or to listen to anyone.

allen iverson is a practice warrior compared to green.

I think this is left over from his rookie year, if you read articles about him in Houston etc, and him working with John Lucas this year.....I think he is maturing and ready now.

Heck, he turned down a late season contract offer from Miami to train with Lucas and improve his game.

Oh well, I hope he signs with Houston, someone will get this diamond in the rough.

DD

Indazone
06-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Another Stromile Swift in the making.

marcflynn2009
06-29-2008, 11:55 AM
yea sure... we should take him... have yall ppl not been to a spurs game before???

have you not seen how much better the spurs play when the crowd goes wild???

this guy would be a huge momentum builder and changer after a single dunk from him

he is better than horry... better than oberto... better than elson... better than stoudamire... better than vaughn.... why not give him a shot??

and whats up with the guy all up in hairston, gist, and hill???

dude we havent actually signed adraft pick in a long ass time.... why would we sign all 3 draft picks.... youre retarded... hte only pick that has a chance is hill

wildbill2u
06-29-2008, 11:58 AM
There are many examples of players who believe that freakish physical talent alone is all that it takes to be a professional in the NBA. Gerald Green may prove to be the poster child of that group one day. Quite a record of achievement at 22.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2008, 12:00 PM
48" verticalNo one has ever jumped that high at draft camp.

Green's vertical was 39 inches.

marcflynn2009
06-29-2008, 12:01 PM
in houston he played 12.3 minutes and scored 5 ppg... thats awesome... l;et him play 36 like most ppl do and he has 15 ppg... perfect if youore a spurs role player... perfect backup for ginobili or bowen

the most impressive stat is his ft%... 83%

when teams are fouling us like crazy... all we have to do is put ginobili, bonner, green, finley and barry... that way we can pass the ball to whoever and still have a good chance of making our ft's

ChumpDumper
06-29-2008, 12:08 PM
It's one thing to pimp Green for a deep reserve/IR signing. Quite another to pencil him in as a 36 mpg ("like most players"?) when the most he could previously get was 22 mpg on a 24-win team.

Russ
06-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Is he willing to wear a sombrero on stage?

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-29-2008, 12:16 PM
As a Rockets fan, I want us to go after him, but he probably fits into the Spurs better.

He is a 6'8" SF/SG with a 48" vertical.......he averaged 10ppg in his 2nd year at the age of 20 with Boston, and has since been in two situations in which he just didn't fit.

He needs a team that will train him, and allow him to learn around professionals.

Both Houston and San Antonio qualify....you guys could really use him, IMHO.

He is only 22 years old to boot, and would be a senior in college this year.

DD

He is 6-7, not 6-8 and he have 39" vertical not 48".

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2005&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

marcflynn2009
06-29-2008, 12:31 PM
It's one thing to pimp Green for a deep reserve/IR signing. Quite another to pencil him in as a 36 mpg ("like most players"?) when the most he could previously get was 22 mpg on a 24-win team.

youre right... but i dont expect him to play 36 minutes... i said "if"

finley plays 36 all the time and when he scores 15, hes all over the local media cause he had a "good" game

and besides... i love udoka... but green gets the same ppg as udoka in 6 less minutes

and im not saying that this guy is fkn amazing or a starter or even 2nd string player.... i am saying to give him a chance cause there are a lot of ppl on the spurs bench that are too old or shitty to be wearing the spurs uniform

ChumpDumper
06-29-2008, 12:32 PM
So you prefer your 36 mpg players to be young and shitty.

I'm fine with signing Green for peanuts to replace one of the draft picks on the IR -- but what I really want is to sign a free agent who can actually play basketball.

DaDakota
06-29-2008, 12:51 PM
He is 6-7, not 6-8 and he have 39" vertical not 48".

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2005&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=
He was 18 years old when he did that, he was still growing, I believe.

DD

ChumpDumper
06-29-2008, 12:57 PM

DDThat's crap, I believe.

The Franchise
06-29-2008, 01:36 PM
DD has been feeding the posters at Clutchfans the same sales pitch :lol. While I would be all for giving him a run in the summer league, he has as much to prove as every rookie draft pick. He has the tools but no knowledge of how to use them. It's up to him to put in the work. If he shows he is willing to do that then I would be glad to see him in Rockets red.

DaDakota
06-29-2008, 01:48 PM
DD has been feeding the posters at Clutchfans the same sales pitch :lol. While I would be all for giving him a run in the summer league, he has as much to prove as every rookie draft pick. He has the tools but no knowledge of how to use them. It's up to him to put in the work. If he shows he is willing to do that then I would be glad to see him in Rockets red.

I would rather him come to Houston, but I think he could fit in San Antonio as well.

DD

Biggems
06-29-2008, 01:58 PM
I would rather him come to Houston, but I think he could fit in San Antonio as well.

DD

why are u still posting in this thread? all but one of us Spurs fans have made it clear we don't want this jackass. If you want him, fine....take that piece of garbage and run with it.....and continue to bow out in the 1st round....

just let this flippin thread die already.....GG isn't worth the toilet paper I use to wipe the crap off my ass with. In fact, I wouldn't let his sorry behind bag my groceries, cause just like his basketball career, he would most likely fuck that up too, smashing my eggs, bread, and chips.

theFrog
06-29-2008, 02:19 PM
That's crap, I believe.

wrong

green = 48 inch vertical

http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/daily/02-07/02-17-07/13sports.htm

i like green, plus his stroke is underrated

DaDakota
06-29-2008, 03:48 PM
why are u still posting in this thread? all but one of us Spurs fans have made it clear we don't want this jackass. If you want him, fine....take that piece of garbage and run with it.....and continue to bow out in the 1st round....

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that when Biggems decides that all Spurs fans fall in line....my bad.

;)

DD

exstatic
06-29-2008, 04:02 PM
wrong

green = 48 inch vertical

That's like believing something from a Buck Harvey column. Are you really that gullible? No one has a 48" vert. If the combine measured him at 39", then his vert is that, plus or minus maybe an inch.

exstatic
06-29-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm all for working and refining a player's game or their attitude, but not both. That's too big a project.

angelbelow
06-29-2008, 04:30 PM
he just doesnt have the work ethic, if one day it clicks then we'll take him. i think hes got all star potential, if only he had half of kobes work ethic.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2008, 04:48 PM
wrong

green = 48 inch vertical

As a rookie, Green said, his vertical leap was measured at 46 inches. He doesn't know what it is now, but suspects it is a couple of inches higher. In any case, he is reaching rare heights with his dunks.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2007/02/14/serious_stuff/

So Green claims his vertical leap increased seven inches in a couple of months, then two more in a year -- and another newspaper adds the two numbers.

And another internets legend is born....

Kill_Bill_Pana
06-29-2008, 06:00 PM

DD

If look at nbadraft.net can see 6-8 is listing from high school. They never change it. He is list 6-8 200 in high school but NBA measure him 6-7 192. I see in Celtics blog they see he end up 6-7 225.

Still very good size for SG player.

anakha
06-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Owned by Kill_Bill.

Oh, the humanity... :lmao

mystargtr34
06-29-2008, 06:14 PM
:lol at Gerald Green saying his vertical leap was 46 inches when he was measured at 39.

39 is probably the maximum humanly possible for someone that tall.

JamStone
06-29-2008, 06:17 PM
It's entirely possible that a 18 year old kid that had a 39 inch vertical could improve it 9 inches after weight training and conditioning over a couple years.

The Franchise
06-29-2008, 06:25 PM
It's entirely possible that a 18 year old kid that had a 39 inch vertical could improve it 9 inches after weight training and conditioning over a couple years.

I agree. Carl Landry improved his by 4.5 inches over the summer last year.

FilSpursFan
06-29-2008, 06:33 PM
We don't need his dunks.. next!

exstatic
06-29-2008, 07:03 PM

The problem with that is that it wasn't a couple of years, it was a few months. I would also think it more probable to happen if the vertical weren't already very good, and the inflated figure weren't impossible. Dominique, one of the best skywalkers in NBA history, didn't have anywhere near a 48" vert. The best vert in the combine last year ( and they're all being coached and prepped now) was 42".

mystargtr34
06-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Good point... i could believe someone with a 14" standing vert like Jared Jordan to increase his vert to about 22" in a 'couple years'... but for a guy who is so developed with a 39" vert... being 6'7" also... i could probably see him maxing out at 41" or 42"...even thats unlikely.

I mean is it even possible for a human being to have a vert above 45"?

outmap
06-29-2008, 07:19 PM
I think he has plenty mentally, he has just been with two horrible franchises, and has not had time to be trained.

You guys don't think him being around Pop, Manu, Duncan, and Parker etc.....would teach him how to be a professional?

I think he could become a great player in the right situation, and that has to be on a team with established leaders, and a system.

DD

At LLE, sure! The Spurs can gamble.

Biggems
06-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Good point... i could believe someone with a 14" standing vert like Jared Jordan to increase his vert to about 22" in a 'couple years'... but for a guy who is so developed with a 39" vert... being 6'7" also... i could probably see him maxing out at 41" or 42"...even thats unlikely.

I mean is it even possible for a human being to have a vert above 45"?

it depends........are his genes spliced with kangaroo, rabbit, grasshopper, or flea?

spursjustice
06-29-2008, 08:23 PM
wrong

green = 48 inch vertical

Could that be his vertical after one step?
A 48-inch vertical is pretty amazing. I am in no position to say that article is wrong, but I believe the scouting reports more.

mystargtr34
06-29-2008, 08:25 PM
:lol yea... hey you decided to finally come to a real forum.... werent you on espn.com boards for a while...

I think we were the only Spurs fans there.... the other 5 thousand members were Lakers/Cavs/Heat fans :lol

mystargtr34
06-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Could that be his vertical after one step?
A 48-inch vertical is pretty amazing. I am in no position to say that article is wrong, but I believe the scouting reports more.

:lol come on now you think that would be a standing vert?

The highest standing vert EVER recorded was 36 inches i believe by some high jumper/.. but i have no link so dont take my word ...

The max standing vert in the NBA is probably about 32"

Were talkin Max vert...

manufor3
06-29-2008, 08:43 PM

DD

you mean the t'wolves and rockets?

spursjustice
06-29-2008, 08:49 PM
:lol come on now you think that would be a standing vert?

The highest standing vert EVER recorded was 36 inches i believe by some high jumper/.. but i have no link so dont take my word ...

The max standing vert in the NBA is probably about 32"

Were talkin Max vert...

This is pushing my memory, butdidn't Antonio McDyess and Darvin Ham have verticals of 42"? McDyess also had a one step vertical of 51".

I am big on links but I am work now and don't have time to google it :lol

JamStone
06-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Michael Jordan had a 48 inch vertical.

I read somewhere that Spudd Webb increased his vertical from 34 to 46 inches in his early 20s.

If it doesn't specifically say "standing" vertical, a "vertical jump" is with off a few steps, or "max vertical."

The article that stated Gerald Green had a 48 inch vertical was this past February before the all star weekend dunk contest. His combine vertical of 39 inches was in the summer of 2005.

The world record for a vertical jump is about 61 inches.