PDA

View Full Version : Why not Mario Chalmers?

Flux451
06-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Anyone heard or can hypothesize on why we didn't go with Chalmers instead of G Hill?
I am not hating, just pondering?

tp2021
06-29-2008, 02:36 PM
pop and rc liked him better.

Lake_show
06-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Because the Spurs FO are idiots.

NASpurs
06-29-2008, 02:40 PM
lol @ the stupid Laker fan and his sig

Dex
06-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Spurs FO had their eye on Green and figured other teams did too. Apparently, they didn't think he would drop as low as 26, even though 'nobody had heard of him'.

He supposedly had a pretty impressive showing and was one of the most impressive guards at the draft camp, and his workouts with the Spurs must've gone pretty well, too. Apparently, they think he might end up being better than Chalmers, or they wouldn't have picked him.

Let's see if the Spurs can pull another Tony Parker out of the late draft.

Steve-O-Matic
06-29-2008, 02:42 PM
They considered Hill the more complete player. Chalmers is a spot-up shooter whereas Hill is the better all-around scorer, can shoot from deep, has a mid-range game, and has even proven effective in the immediate basket area. They are comparable defenders, but Hill has the edge in rebounding and overall athleticism. Neither is a pure PG at this stage, but Hill has more experience handling the rock (the offense always ran thru him) whereas Chalmers was part of a 3-PG platoon at Kansas and who oftentimes was a 'motion man' who barely even touched the ball in KU's half-court sets.

Net/net - the Spurs felt Hill had more tools to work with, and a higher ceiling.

Lake_show
06-29-2008, 02:46 PM

LOL @ the homers who blatantly ignore the facts.

tp2021
06-29-2008, 02:48 PM

One month's stats vs. a whole season's stats,
then a sample from one game. BFD
Tim will take the rings, thanks.

Biggems
06-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Maybe the Spurs saw Chalmers and said, he looks like Vaughn Pt. 2.

Dex
06-29-2008, 02:57 PM

Ignore what facts? Hill had a better scoring, shooting, and 3pt average than Chalmers through college, and is a better rebounder; he just was stuck in a smaller conference.

Apparently 33 teams decided he wasn't worth a pick either, and I'm sure they all did some homework on the guy.

BOHOLANO#21
06-29-2008, 03:03 PM
what a douche bag! 4 rings against zip. take that. go drink your milk, or suck my dick, you dickless moron.

TheProfessor
06-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Funny shit coming from a fan of the team that wanted Hill so desperately. Sorry things didn't work out for you. I'm sure Joe Crawford will take the league by storm.

taps
06-29-2008, 03:39 PM

http://www.nba.com/games/20071113/LALSAS/boxscore.html

Your sig: you mean the game you lost by 15? Good point. Reminds me of effin Suns fans, "ZOMG!!1. Amare had 35 points tonight!112." Well, you still lost the game, but as long as Amare gets his numbers he's happy.

The difference is TD just wants to win games, if that means letting Bruce go for 23 and Bonner for 15 then so be it. We still flogged ya by 15 points.

Maybe we can get Presti to donate Kevin Durant for Finley, Stoudemire, Vaughn, and Keith Van Horn's expiring contract then I can walk around boasting how elite my team is.

DMX7
06-29-2008, 03:42 PM

He's 6 foot 2 inches and a lights out shooter. How is that?

exstatic
06-29-2008, 04:09 PM

Facts like the Lakers were desperately trying to get back into the first round to select Hill?

Chalmers was the fifth wheel in a major program, and the benefit of somewhat of a halo effect in the run up to the draft, but when the rubber hits the road, teams pick by talent, not by program. A lot of teams, both ahead and behind us, passed on Chalmers.

Brutalis
06-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Because Hill's penis measured twice as big as Chalmers.

T Park
06-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Because Hill's penis measured twice as big as Chalmers.

This is the Spurs drafting, not the Mavericks.

thekingrobert
06-29-2008, 04:19 PM

Didnt the Spurs route that game?

tp2021
06-29-2008, 04:20 PM
This is the Spurs drafting, not the Mavericks.

no, no, no. mavs draft big pussies. suns get little pricks.

angelbelow
06-29-2008, 04:28 PM
a few analyst have said throw KU in front of Hills jersey and we wouldnt have this question.

Spurtacus
06-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Someone please ban this idiot Lakers fan? Make sure to add an IP block on this fool.

Why not George Hill? He sounds like he's faster, better defender, and better shooter than Chalmers. Am I wrong?

Dex
06-29-2008, 07:16 PM
#26 > #34

That's why not.

CaptainLate
06-29-2008, 07:31 PM
He supposedly had a pretty impressive showing and was one of the most impressive guards at the draft camp, and his workouts with the Spurs must've gone pretty well, too. Apparently, they think he might end up being better than Chalmers, or they wouldn't have picked him.

{San Antonio was likely blindsided after being caught trying to steal Nicolas Batum from the rest of the league, so much that they seem to have reached for George Hill, who they almost certainly could have had in the second round. Hill’s numbers are off the charts and he did play extremely well at the Orlando pre-draft camp, but learning how to play the point guard position is not going to be the easy for him.}

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuXL99NeE43YJM6VjrK4u0S8vLYF?slug=ys-draftreportcards062808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SPURSGOAT
06-29-2008, 07:39 PM
{San Antonio was likely blindsided after being caught trying to steal Nicolas Batum from the rest of the league, so much that they seem to have reached for George Hill

:rolleyes

underdawg
06-29-2008, 08:26 PM
{San Antonio was likely blindsided after being caught trying to steal Nicolas Batum from the rest of the league, so much that they seem to have reached for George Hill, who they almost certainly could have had in the second round. Hill’s numbers are off the charts and he did play extremely well at the Orlando pre-draft camp, but learning how to play the point guard position is not going to be the easy for him.}

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuXL99NeE43YJM6VjrK4u0S8vLYF?slug=ys-draftreportcards062808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I don't understand that philosphy (and obviously you're not the only to take it) - isn't a fact that Batum will not be coming over this season? We need players that can help us immediately and Hill fits that need.

Tully365
06-29-2008, 08:41 PM

Have you ever seen Popovich in action? Does he strike anyone as the kind of guy who goes into situations unprepared? C'mon, do you think Pop & RC & co. were sitting there with a stained cocktail napkin from a Holiday Inn that had one name-- B A T U M, N.-- written on it and when Stern announced "Houston chooses Nicolas Batum" Pop & RC & Holt all jumped up in a panic yelling "oh shit! Now What? Oh, dammit we forgot to have a plan B or C or D!!" I'd bet they were well prepared and had half a dozen names after Hill too.

jdaveah
06-29-2008, 09:34 PM
If I trust anybody to pass on a KU player it'd be RC. I'm sure he watched nearly every KU game this year because of the obvious connection in addition to the fact that his son is a bench warmer for them. If the Spurs liked a KU player and someone else equally I'd be willing to bet the KU player would get picked. Clearly that wasn't the case here.

K-State Spur
06-29-2008, 09:37 PM

Draft grades are worthless period, but that's even more true from groups or individuals that do a mock draft.

The formula is simple, teams that draft players that you projected to go higher get As and Bs. Teams that draft players that you projected to go lower get Cs, Ds, and Fs.

This is true almost without exception.

A.H 21-50
06-29-2008, 09:45 PM
If I trust anybody to pass on a KU player it'd be RC. I'm sure he watched nearly every KU game this year because of the obvious connection in addition to the fact that his son is a bench warmer for them. If the Spurs liked a KU player and someone else equally I'd be willing to bet the KU player would get picked. Clearly that wasn't the case here.

same idea
i think if the spurs pass on chalmers they really think he isn't that good to make the roster
he slide to the 2nd round so maybe he wasn't so impressive
we'll see how he'll turn out in miami

K-State Spur
06-29-2008, 09:49 PM

maybe RC is finally coming to the understanding that Jayhawks are a lesser form of life than the rest of the population.

oligarchy
06-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Draft grades are worthless period, but that's even more true from groups or individuals that do a mock draft.

The formula is simple, teams that draft players that you projected to go higher get As and Bs. Teams that draft players that you projected to go lower get Cs, Ds, and Fs.

This is true almost without exception.

How are draft grades stupid?

Charlotte Bobcats

Picks: Picks: Adam Morrison (3); Ryan Hollins (50)

A

The Bobcats made out with what is certainly the best player in the draft right now, as well as possibly the best player down the road as well. Adam Morrison fills their needs perfectly on the wing with his scoring ability and should be a perfect compliment to Gerald Wallace’s versatility

Always, always accept draft grades. They are spot on.

The George Hill
06-29-2008, 11:08 PM
The scribe of the original post displeases George Hill.
However, George Hill is a very understanding George Hill. George Hill will spare you, so that you may see the error in your ways upon witnessing George Hill's first game as a Spur.

Lackluster
06-30-2008, 08:36 AM
month of January

:lol