PDA

View Full Version : Barry's and Vaughn's player options ?

Bruno
06-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Tomorrow is the deadline to them to pick or not their player options.
What do you think they will decide and what is your wish ?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-29-2008, 06:12 PM
I think and hope that they decide not to opt out.

MaNu4Tres
06-29-2008, 06:14 PM
For the price I hope they both exercise their player option. I don't see Vaughn looking for more money. Barry on the other hand may look for a little more than the minimum.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Barry on the other hand may look for a little more than the minimum.
That does make sense. Barry probably knows how much we need him back after the way he helped us out in the Lakers series, and last year after he was re-signed only made $172,177. If he opts out to try and re-sign for a little more, I can understand.

Sway
06-29-2008, 06:54 PM
I hope Barry exercises his player option. On the other hand, I hope Vaughn walks.

The Truth #6
06-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Let's burn the boat and make Hill our backup point guard. I don't like the idea of Vaughn lingering around every moment Hill makes a small mistake learning on the job. Of course, there's no way in hell Vaughn would decide not to come back so it's a moot point.

Spurtacus
06-29-2008, 07:11 PM
I hope for Barry. Vaughn, I hope not.

timvp
06-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Regarding Vaughn, it'd be nice if he opted out just to give the Spurs roster flexibility. He's pretty good as a third point guard ... but if roster spots become an issue, the Ginobili and Barry combination could survive as the third point guard option.

With Hill coming on board and Pop sounding like he really likes him, I'm confident Pop will give Hill as many chances as possible to win that backup job. One good thing about Vaughn staying is he's a good leader and he'd be able to mentor Hill. Parker is still a little young to take on the mentor role so Vaughn is probably best capable of teaching Hill what the Spurs expect from him.

Regarding Barry, I hope he picks up his player option. If he becomes a free agent, he'd likely get a lot of looks from teams around the league -- especially considering how weak this free agent class is. If he comes back, he could fit perfectly into a Steve Kerr role. If he opts out, the Spurs will likely try to re-sign him ... but I could easily see the Spurs getting outbid by another team willing to give him decent money over two years.

baseline bum
06-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Let Vaughn walk when George Hill is the freaking replacement?

timvp
06-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Let Vaughn walk when George Hill is the freaking replacement?It's not like Vaughn was a huge part of last year's playoff run. When scoring and athleticism have become the team's two biggest needs, playing Vaughn is the last option.

The Franchise
06-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Keep Vaughn. I hope Barry opts out.:devil

Biggems
06-29-2008, 07:24 PM
if Vaughn goes, I am guessing Barry becomes our backup PG. Hill would be 3rd string. I see Hill getting a lot of playing time in Nov-Jan. Then during the 2nd half of the season, I see Pop going with whoever is playing better, Barry or Hill.

I would like this better, cause it would allow us to have 1 extra roster spot available.

AC#21_TD ERA
06-29-2008, 08:11 PM
I hope Barry returns. But the Garbage Truck Vaughn he will be back because no one else will sign that shit cunt if he opts out. Someone tell that garbage man to do his job properly and not drop the garbge bag when he's picking up my garbage in the mornings.

Biggems
06-29-2008, 08:14 PM
The bad thing about losing Vaughn would be not being able to quote Major League 2 anymore.....

"Hey Pop, you're old mother hubbard and only Vaughn's in the cupboard"

A.H 21-50
06-29-2008, 08:24 PM
i hope barry will return
he shows good things during PO , for vaughn i think it's time to go as he wasn't good enough to compete during Po or season
still he's a good vet pg but with hill and barry or manu who could play the point it's time for him to go i guess

montgod
06-29-2008, 08:28 PM
I am hoping Barry returns and Vaughn opts out. Then the Spurs could use Barry as a backup PG as well as Hill to free up other positions on the roster.

Of course, if Hill doesn't show any promise as Pop would have hoped, there might have to be a plan B... like signing someone like Duhon or whoever else is out there on the cheap.

intlspurshk
06-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Does Udoka also have option?

rj215
06-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Vaughn should opt out and try to sign with the Lakers, Hornets or Suns.....please.

Kindergarten Cop
06-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Does Udoka also have option?

no

The George Hill
06-29-2008, 11:07 PM
George Hill has the option of taking the Spurs to the NBA Finals.
Winning the 5th Championship would be George Hill's decision.

koopa
06-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Regarding Vaughn, it'd be nice if he opted out just to give the Spurs roster flexibility. He's pretty good as a third point guard ... but if roster spots become an issue, the Ginobili and Barry combination could survive as the third point guard option.

With Hill coming on board and Pop sounding like he really likes him, I'm confident Pop will give Hill as many chances as possible to win that backup job. One good thing about Vaughn staying is he's a good leader and he'd be able to mentor Hill. Parker is still a little young to take on the mentor role so Vaughn is probably best capable of teaching Hill what the Spurs expect from him.

Regarding Barry, I hope he picks up his player option. If he becomes a free agent, he'd likely get a lot of looks from teams around the league -- especially considering how weak this free agent class is. If he comes back, he could fit perfectly into a Steve Kerr role. If he opts out, the Spurs will likely try to re-sign him ... but I could easily see the Spurs getting outbid by another team willing to give him decent money over two years.

i'm not sure barry is about the money though, he could have taken more money when he was cut by the sonics but he decided to come back to SA, i think if he opted out he'd stay, he'd probably just want a better deal so he can retire when it's over

i hate vaughn, so i hope he opts out.......... i want barry back, i hate his passive ways, but this year before the injury he was finally showing that he wasn't afraid to shoot and he was knocking them down, and then his performance against the lakers was pretty good, so hopefully he's back

baseline bum
06-29-2008, 11:35 PM
It's not like Vaughn was a huge part of last year's playoff run. When scoring and athleticism have become the team's two biggest needs, playing Vaughn is the last option.

After seeing Pop talk him up tonight, I have a lot more faith in Hill. I thought he was RC's boy (like Derrick Dial, Beno, or Mahinmi).

SpursFanInAustin
06-29-2008, 11:40 PM
I have a feeling both players will not opt-out and remain in San Antonio next season. Which is okay with me.

The George Hill
06-29-2008, 11:41 PM
After seeing Pop talk him up tonight, I have a lot more faith in Hill. I thought he was RC's boy (like Derrick Dial, Beno, or Mahinmi).

George Hill is pleased to know of your allegiance, but George Hill is a boy to no man.

angelbelow
06-30-2008, 12:36 AM
i wouldnt mind if vauhgn takes the minimum and barry takes the million.

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Vaughn he will be back because no one else will sign that shit cunt if he opts out.

That's just terrible.

AC#21_TD ERA
06-30-2008, 01:16 AM
[The Garbage Truck Vaughn will be back because no one else will sign that shit cunt if he opts out.

QUOTE=K-State Spur;2632692] That's just terrible.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean thats a terrible post or The Garbage truck JV coming back is terrible.

montgod
06-30-2008, 01:37 AM
i wouldnt mind if vauhgn takes the minimum and barry takes the million.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that they both qualify to get above a million with their years playing in the nba. This is their minimum.

1Parker1
06-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Spurs don't need Vaughn. Even if Hill doesn't work out, Pop has shown that come playoff time, it's better to have Ginobili/Barry as backup PG's than Vaughn.

And at this point in his career, I'm not too sure Barry is looking for more $$ or to start over. He knows he's on a great team in a system he knows and has a chance to win another ring.

spurster
06-30-2008, 08:55 AM
I'd like to see Barry back and Vaughn, too. Yes, Vaughn is not the greatest backup PG we could hope for, but he is better than a lot of other possibilities (Damon Stoudamire comes to mind). Using Manu as backup PG on a regular basis is a very bad idea.

wildbill2u
06-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Is it possible for Barry and the Spurs to make a deal for more money prior to the deadline? That would be my preferernce. Barry is worth more than the minimum and I think he's a reasonable guy.

I don't think there is any way Vaughn opts out 'cause who'd give him a better deal?

urunobili
06-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Barry in as third PG Vaughn bought out

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Vaughn is solid other than his J. He's on a small contract and if he doesn't opt out of it, then it will expire after next season anyways. No worries.

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 11:14 AM
I'd like to see Barry back and Vaughn, too. Yes, Vaughn is not the greatest backup PG we could hope for, but he is better than a lot of other possibilities

He's not the greatest 2nd string PG, that is for sure. But I think he'd be the top option available as a third string PG. I have doubts about Barry's ability to handle the point anymore. I'm fine with Manu being the back-up point in the postseason, but I don't like the idea of him playing long stretches there in the regular season.

Keep Vaughn for the exact purposes that he was originally signed - to be the third PG and offer a security blanket (he's a known quantity, albeit a small one) in case the young player fizzles.

Vaughn was everything that the Spurs could have asked for in that role in 2007.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 12:01 PM
At what time do they have to decide whether or not to exercise their options?

Kindergarten Cop
06-30-2008, 12:14 PM
At what time do they have to decide whether or not to exercise their options?

I believe it is 6pm EST (7pm CST).

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 12:18 PM
I believe it is 6pm EST (7pm CST).

Today, right?

Kindergarten Cop
06-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Today, right?

yes

timvp
06-30-2008, 12:31 PM
With the Express-News as weak as it is these days, those two could have decided a month ago and we would never know :bang

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 12:31 PM
The Spurs would be well served if both do not opt to become free agents. They will need Barry next season to give them a healthy number of minutes every night. Vaughn is a very nice insurance policy. Assuming both are back then the Spurs will be able to use their MLE and LLE to go after at most two players. If Barry opts out then they may have to use part of their MLE or their LLE to re-sign him. Of course, if I was Barry, I'd opt out.

duncan228
06-30-2008, 12:34 PM
With the Express-News as weak as it is these days, those two could have decided a month ago and we would never know :bang

Maybe Ludden will tell us...:)

VaSpursFan
06-30-2008, 12:35 PM
i don't see either opting out...but i could be wrong.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 12:36 PM
There should be an E-N article coming out tonight about the Spurs' plans for free agency. My guess is that it won't tell us anything that we don't already know.

polandprzem
06-30-2008, 12:40 PM

Why can't Kori bring some inside info?

Is that possible?

chrisattsu
06-30-2008, 01:08 PM
I have never been that impressed with Jack. I felt like he was a descent stop-gap when Tony wasn't on the floor, but I never expected anything explosive to happen.

Meanwhile with Brent on the floor, you have a backup that can make things happen in-and-out of the Arc.

Plus he makes AWESOME HEB commercials

bigdog
06-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Kori=better than the Express-News.

We keep Vaughn as a 3rd string PG. There's no reason to buy out the contract when it will be coming off the books at the end of this upcoming season. It would just hurt us to buy him out.

I'd say with Parker, Hill, and Vaughn we have a very solid PG unit.
Barry might opt out just to get a bit more money, but who knows.

PM5K
06-30-2008, 01:18 PM
I gotta disagree about Parker being a mentor, what does age have to do with it when you've been around as long as he has been, have that many rings, that much playoff experience, a finals MVP, and knows what it's like to be a young kid under coach Pop....

I'd rather a player with that resume mentor a younger player....

Obstructed_View
06-30-2008, 02:27 PM
I'd rather keep Vaughn than Fin.

waly.mg
06-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Spurs don't need Vaughn. Even if Hill doesn't work out, Pop has shown that come playoff time, it's better to have Ginobili/Barry as backup PG's than Vaughn.

And at this point in his career, I'm not too sure Barry is looking for more $$ or to start over. He knows he's on a great team in a system he knows and has a chance to win another ring.

Ok, but what happens if Tony lost some games? Manu can be the Starting PG? I donīt think so

Obstructed_View
06-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Ok, but what happens if Tony lost some games? Manu can be the Starting PG? I donīt think so

Yeah, if Tony sprains an ankle in camp the Spurs are mightily fucked for the beginning of the season without Vaughn, and then they have to try to overplay him before he's completely healthy because they need to keep pace, then he never really gets right during the season. Not worth the roster spot. This team goes as Parker goes in the playoffs more than any other player since his arrival. Granted much of that is due to Timmy's consistency, but when Parker struggles, so do the Spurs even when Timmy's game is on.

bigdog
06-30-2008, 06:21 PM
We can't play Manu at backup PG as much as some of you want to.

He's already shown that he's somewhat fragile and we don't need him playing more minutes at PG. if he plays PG, then who the hell will play SG? We need some backup PGs, and we have them with Hill and Vaughn

usckk
06-30-2008, 06:31 PM

lol.

Rescueone
06-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Manu playing the point....Hell No!! dude turned the ball over 80% of the time he touched it in the playoffs. Just roll with Parker, Hill and Barry!!

waly.mg
06-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Do you put the Ball in the Hill hands in the Playoffs?

A rookie PG with the Ball in his first PO is not a good idea

I want Tony or Manu, Hill may be in the regular season

Rescueone
06-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Do you put the Ball in the Hill hands in the Playoffs?

A rookie PG with the Ball in his first PO is not a good idea

I want Tony or Manu, Hill may be in the regular season

Parker did it, Plus if all fails we will have Barry

Obstructed_View
06-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Manu playing the point....Hell No!! dude turned the ball over 80% of the time he touched it in the playoffs. Just roll with Parker, Hill and Barry!!

Is that accurate? Since he touches the ball on every possession when he's in the game, I highly doubt it.

Kindergarten Cop
06-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Is that accurate? Since he touches the ball on every possession when he's in the game, I highly doubt it.

It's not even close to being accurate. Ginobili had 48 TOs in 17 games played (2.8 avg) in which he played 33 min/game. Just for the sake of comparison, Kobe Bryant had 69 TOs in 21 games played (3.3 avg) in which he played 41 min/game.

tp2021
06-30-2008, 08:39 PM
the deadline was an hour and a half ago, right? how long until word gets out?

Bruno
07-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Barry has opted out and Vaughn has picked his option.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Barry has opted out and Vaughn has picked his option.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents

Do you want to email McDonald that or should I?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 11:37 AM

:lol

duncan228
07-01-2008, 11:38 AM

:lol Leave him out of the loop. Maybe the EN won't re-sign him for next season.