PDA

View Full Version : Self says Arthur should have gone in the top 15

tlongII
06-30-2008, 02:41 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/specials/draft/2008/06/27/arthur.draft.ap/index.html

This is where the Spurs completely dropped the ball. They had an opportunity to nab a guy with top 15 talent at a position of need and they failed to do it. UNBEAVABLE!

Ocotillo
06-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I think this where most of the initial negative reaction to George Hill came from.

The thought being you have a lottery pick that has fallen due to a rumor about a kidney, so take him.

In hindsight, if the Spurs were fixated on Hill, it would have been nice to bought a low first rounder and taken both Hill and Arthur.

Oh well.

The George Hill
06-30-2008, 02:46 PM
The Spurs made the correct decision in drafting George Hill. It was the only decision.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 03:01 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/specials/draft/2008/06/27/arthur.draft.ap/index.html

This is where the Spurs completely dropped the ball. They had an opportunity to nab a guy with top 15 talent at a position of need and they failed to do it. UNBEAVABLE!

Speaking of teams who decided not to draft Arthur... :lol.

rAm
06-30-2008, 03:02 PM
The Spurs made the correct decision in drafting George Hill. It was the only decision.

Fail troll is fail.

T Park
06-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Now if Hill becomes a good player you guys won't remember shit :lol

If Arthur becomes good, good for him.

The George Hill
06-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Fail troll is fail.

Yes, rAm. You are indeed correct in assuming that you are a troll incapable of success, unlike George Hill.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 03:12 PM

They already have, uh, Tim Duncan and a long, athletic rookie there. Next.

lebomb
06-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Anyone remember another Spur that had a question about his kidneys? It ended up destroying his career. Once bitten.....

Mister Sinister
06-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Unbeavable? Does...does that mean that....I don't know, does it have something to do with gnawing trees?

The George Hill
06-30-2008, 03:18 PM
George Hill finds it ironic that the poster named tlongII used the word "failed" and a gratuitous misspelling of the word "unbelievable" within 3 words of each other. The misspelling is even in all caps and bolded, to further highlight the shortcomings of tlongII! George Hill is very pleased! Perhaps tlong himself is indeed, unbeavable, meaning he cannot receive carnal pleasures of the body from a vagina.

rAm
06-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Unbeavable? Does...does that mean that....I don't know, does it have something to do with gnawing trees?

:rollin at your sig

Tully365
06-30-2008, 03:33 PM
The whole Arthur situation is very strange. Right after being picked and asked about the kidney issue, he claimed to have tested fine but said something like "I guess the doctors forgot to send the report" to teams that were requesting it... so either someone really screwed up bad, or something fishy is going on. If some of you are pissed off about the Splitter situation, just think how you'd react if the Spurs took a 1st round chance on Arthur and it turned out he couldn't play for medical reasons.

Brutalis
06-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Well Spur fan will be all whatever and shit. But it's true. We screwed up. Whether we pay for it or not we'll see. Maybe it'll turn out good.

rAm
06-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Yes, rAm. You are indeed correct in assuming that you are a troll incapable of success, unlike George Hill.

Fail troll is fail.

The George Hill
06-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Once again rAm, you are indeed correct in assuming that you are a troll incapable of success, unlike George Hill.

tlongII
06-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Speaking of teams who decided not to draft Arthur... :lol.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Blazers, correct? In fact, we DID draft him! That's how we traded for Batum! :lol

ChumpDumper
06-30-2008, 04:08 PM
It's quite beavable. His agent fucked up.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm assuming you're referring to the Blazers, correct? In fact, we DID draft him! That's how we traded for Batum! :lol

Trading Arthur for Batum??? :lol :lol :lol
And technically New Orleans picked.

T Park
06-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Just for perspective, didn't Lute Olsen also say Marcus Williams should've been a first round player? :lol

Harry Callahan
06-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Arthur is from South Oak Cliff High (in Dallas) and I've heard rumblings that he is not the sharpest person in the world.

This screwup on the physical sounds the work of someone who is not squared away by his own lack of action, or by having an incompetent agent.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to be a good NBA player, but I think it benefits you not to have too many blockheads on your team.

Of course Bill Self will stand up for one of his players. That's what coaches do.

50 cent
06-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Yeah, like Bill Self is an objective source.

Mr. Body
06-30-2008, 06:03 PM
The Spurs should have drafted him, as I said, to trade him down. They could have picked up something extra and still gotten George Hill. In the game of making value out of assets the Spurs have a negative track record.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Who says they didn't try?

Obstructed_View
06-30-2008, 06:09 PM
I certainly can't beav it myself.

TheProfessor
06-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Who says they didn't try?
Bingo. And they got some value out of their early second at least.

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 06:13 PM
I think too much is made of his kidney issue.

The fact that he measured in at 6'7, has next to zero perimeter skills, and (with the championship game being an exception) got outplayed by most other NBA quality bigs this past season that he matched up with, could have had absolutely nothing to do with it?

You can also add in that he didn't really improve over the past 2 years + there was that issue about him lying to get into school (which isn't that big of a deal to NBA teams, but it does raise a character flag).

wildbill2u
06-30-2008, 08:35 PM
If you don't want to be locked into a low first round deal, maybe the agent doesn't counter the rumors by releasing the medical report if its good.?

angelbelow
06-30-2008, 09:53 PM
position of? wtf are you talking about.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2008, 10:00 PM

Top 15 picks don't show up one of every 4-5 games in the Big 12, like Arthur did.

Self's just trying to save some recruiting face. He does have that piece of shit Drew coaching in his conference, after all.

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Top 15 picks don't show up one of every 4-5 games in the Big 12, like Arthur did.

Self's just trying to save some recruiting face. He does have that piece of shit Drew coaching in his conference, after all.

agreed. i think the question is more why was he ever rated that high compared to why did he drop?

tlongII
06-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Trading Arthur for Batum??? :lol :lol :lol
And technically New Orleans picked.

We don't have room for Arthur...unlike the Spurs. We can stash Batum in Europe if we need to. All indications are that Arthur's kidneys are fine. The Spurs blew it BIG TIME! George Hill??? You gotta be effing kidding me!

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 11:10 PM
We don't have room for Arthur...unlike the Spurs. We can stash Batum in Europe if we need to. All indications are that Arthur's kidneys are fine. The Spurs blew it BIG TIME! George Hill??? You gotta be effing kidding me!

Spurs don't have room either.

tlongII
06-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Spurs don't have room either.

Uh, right. Whatever you say.

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 11:12 PM

Yeah, I don't see a position on the roster for a light 6'7 PF who will likely never translate his skills to the perimeter.

Congrats, you got a poor man's Marcus Fizer. Enjoy.

tlongII
06-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I don't see a position on the roster for a light 6'7 PF who will likely never translate his skills to the perimeter.

Congrats, you got a poor man's Marcus Fizer. Enjoy.

Dude, outside of Duncan your frontcourt sucks ass. Anything would be an improvement over what you got.

Buddy Holly
06-30-2008, 11:18 PM
tlong, dude, you're not worth anyone's time here, you're not even worthy of wiping Sequ's ass.

So guess what, shut the fuck up, join an actual Blazers forum and quit living through Spurs fans.

'K?

coopdogg3
06-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Dude, outside of Duncan your frontcourt sucks ass. Anything would be an improvement over what you got.

puff, puff, GIVE

puff, puff, GIVE

I think you're missing a crucial step and it's affecting your brain.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2008, 11:23 PM

Arthur wouldn't.

tlongII
06-30-2008, 11:27 PM
tlong, dude, you're not worth anyone's time here, you're not even worthy of wiping Sequ's ass.

So guess what, shut the fuck up, join an actual Blazers forum and quit living through Spurs fans.

'K?

:lmao

Nice retort Buddy! Your knowledge is immense.

tlongII
06-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Arthur wouldn't.

From NBADRAFT.NET

NBA Comparison: Antonio McDyess
Strengths: A skilled power forward with a tremendous package of size and athleticism ... Measures in at 6'9 230 lbs with bigtime hops and lateral quickness ... Possesses a good handle for a player his size as well as a mid-range shot ... Led the Jayhawks in blocked shots as a freshman with 56, displaying his quick, explosive vertical leap ... Had a big game against Florida early in the season with 19 points and 9 rebounds, showing that he can compete with NBA caliber big men and step up when it counts ... Finished the year averaging 9.8 ppg, good for fourth on a talented Kansas team ... Runs the floor very well for his size, very fluid ... Solid post moves for a player his age, and showing good development in his post game ... His shooting touch id good and his range seems to be improving ...

Weaknesses: Foul prone, amassing 133 fouls over the course of the season, first on the team by a wide margin. Must learn to stay on his feet more often rather than trying to block everything in sight ... As good as his shot looks, his free throw shooting must improve as he shot 65% for the season ... Needs to improve his ball handling as he likes to face the basket from midrange but struggles to get to the rim due to unpolished ball skills ... Has a great frame, but needs to put more weight on to contend with NBA big men. Probably about 15 pounds away from having an NBA ready body. Needs to increase his shooting range ...

Outlook: Reports out of the U19 Team USA practices claimed that Arthur was the best player on the team before suffering a stress fracture in his left leg. The injury should be completely healed before practices begin so the injury doesn't appear to be one that should haunt him the rest of his career ... With the departure of Julian Wright to the NBA, Arthur will be asked to step right in and be a bigger contributor to a team that has its eyes on a national championship. With the return of Brandon Rush for his junior year the focus of the offense won't rest squarely on Arthur's shoulder, but make no mistake about it, the Jayhawks will need a big year from Arthur if they expect to be a true contender ...
James Burbridge - 7/16/2007

From draftexpress.com

March 18, 2008
Arthur has been one of the most inconsistent draft prospects we’ve followed over the past few months, often following up one good performance with two bad ones, and then getting back on track the next game as if nothing happened. As we’ve expressed in the past when evaluating him, very few of our concerns with Arthur revolve around his physical tools or skill-set…for him, it’s all about the mental aspect of the game and whether the light bulb is on on any particular day.

In this particular game, Arthur showed up, and in a big way, to the tune of 16 points and 9 rebounds. That was huge for KU’s chances of defeating Texas in the Big 12 tournament final, particularly with Darnell Jackson rendered ineffective with foul trouble.

Arthur showed why many think so highly of him in terms of his pure talent, displaying fabulous footwork coming up with a couple of outstanding pivot moves in the post, phenomenal touch knocking down turnaround jumpers, and superb athleticism running the floor and finishing explosively inside the paint. He played a big role in picking apart Texas’ zone defense, slipping right into the sweet spot around the free throw line and either knocking down a 15-foot jumper, making a pretty post-entry pass, or moving the ball around the perimeter sharply to keep KU’s offense flowing smoothly.

Defensively, Arthur seemed to be trying to avoid the ticky-tack foul problems that have plagued him all season and played a huge role in his struggles staying on the court for Kansas. He did show very quick feet hedging screens on the perimeter, though, which is very nice to have from your power forward in today’s pick and roll infatuated NBA. Despite the 9 rebounds he pulled down, we again saw why he struggles so badly in this area, as he still suffers those mental lapses forgetting to box out his opponents. Last time we checked up on him, he ranked 79th in rebounding per 40 minutes pace adjusted. He’s now moved up to 58th, which is better, but still fairly disappointing for a player with his combination of terrific length, athleticism and hands. He’s also improved his passing and assist to turnover ratio, which is good to see.

More than most players in this draft, who already typically have a decent body of work to fall back on from the regular season, Darrell Arthur could use a strong NCAA tournament showing to quell some of the many concerns about him. If he can’t show better effort, focus and all-around consistency in what will be the most important games of his basketball career thus far, he will give decision marks some serious room for pause when it comes time to evaluate his draft stock.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 11:35 PM

I see you are glad to put Batum in misery. How sad.

Buddy Holly
06-30-2008, 11:35 PM
:lmao

Nice retort Buddy! Your knowledge is immense.

What does knowledge have to do with stating the fucking obvious?

You spend more time here than you probably do interacting with real people. :wow

tlongII
06-30-2008, 11:39 PM
What does knowledge have to do with stating the fucking obvious?

You spend more time here than you probably do interacting with real people. :wow

Could be. You never know, huh?

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 11:39 PM
From NBADRAFT.NET

From draftexpress.com

Those profiles are ridiculous. First, he measured in at 6'7. His handle is mediocre at best. He came into school with about 10 feet range, his range right now is about...10 feet.

Although they are correct that he is slow to react on defense and prone to commit fouls.

My guess is that you've seen him play all of once or twice. But since Chad Ford had him projected as a near lottery pick...THEN HE MUST BE GOOD!!!

The guy had oodles of talent around him last year, and still struggled mightily way too often. He was beyond terrible in the NCAA tournament until the final game.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Uh, right. Whatever you say.

Uh, yeah, it is right.

Buddy Holly
06-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Could be. You never know, huh?

Could be? Bro, you have over 13,000 posts on a Spurs forum. You average 8 a day.

A blind retarded person could figure out what was going on with you.

Buddy Holly
06-30-2008, 11:43 PM
tlong is chastising the Spurs for not picking the guy yet his own team who had the player traded him for a potential bust. Yeah... yeah...

tlongII
06-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Could be? Bro, you have over 13,000 posts on a Spurs forum. You average 8 a day.

A blind retarded person could figure out what was going on with you.

It's good to know that 8 posts per day consumes most of my time. I guess I should learn how to type or something.

Buddy Holly
06-30-2008, 11:45 PM
It's good to know that 8 posts per day consumes most of my time. I guess I should learn how to type or something.

A Blazers homer posting on average 8 times a day (who's kidding, we all know its more than that) over a 4 year span isn't the least bit pathetic to you? Huh?

tlongII
06-30-2008, 11:46 PM
tlong is chastising the Spurs for not picking the guy yet his own team who had the player traded him for a potential bust. Yeah... yeah...

I'm chastising the Spurs for taking a player that plays against inferior competition and plays a position that is not as critical for them to fill. All this while bypassing a solid frontcourt player who played against top flight competition on a regular basis.

tlongII
06-30-2008, 11:47 PM
A Blazers homer posting on average 8 times a day (who's kidding, we all know its more than that) over a 4 year span isn't the least bit pathetic to you? Huh?

Nope. It's not.

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm chastising the Spurs for taking a player that plays against inferior competition and plays a position that is not as critical for them to fill. All this while bypassing a solid frontcourt player who played against top flight competition on a regular basis.

Up until that final game, just about every time Arthur went up against a quality big, he got owned. Beasley didn't just outplay him, he abused him.

You do realize that Arthur doesn't project as a post player, correct?

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 11:48 PM
With a kidney ailment and who really doesn't fit the Spurs' offense. Great call.

tlongII
06-30-2008, 11:49 PM
It really is a joy to post here during the summers of even years! :)

coopdogg3
06-30-2008, 11:49 PM

How is a back-up PG that can play some SG less important than an under-sized, back-up PF that can't rebound - and just might have a kidney problem to boot??

Buddy Holly
06-30-2008, 11:50 PM

So you avoid the actual statement I made. Which is you had the same player and instead choose a potential bust who played against inferior international competition. Do you not register any of that?

Also, what great competition was Lebron playing against? What elite composition was Tony Parker or Manu playing against when drafted? If thew Spurs saw him and felt he was what they needed at the backup point position, guess what, they're entitled to draft him.

When tlong the boy wonder becomes a scout or GM for the Blazers, then he can draft the players he feels are the best.

Buddy Holly
06-30-2008, 11:50 PM
It really is a joy to post here during the summers of even years! :)

The sad part is, we both know that's not the only time you post.

Buddy Holly
06-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Nope. It's not.

Well no, not to said pathetic Blazers homer.

An addict doesn't think he have a problem either.

Michael Jackson thinks it's fine to sleep with groups of children.

tlongII
07-01-2008, 12:02 AM
So you avoid the actual statement I made. Which is you had the same player and instead choose a potential bust who played against inferior international competition. Do you not register any of that?

Also, what great competition was Lebron playing against? What elite composition was Tony Parker or Manu playing against when drafted? If thew Spurs saw him and felt he was what they needed at the backup point position, guess what, they're entitled to draft him.

When tlong the boy wonder becomes a scout or GM for the Blazers, then he can draft the players he feels are the best.

I think most knowledgable basketball people would tell you that the pro leagues in Europe are superior to NCAA ball.

tlongII
07-01-2008, 12:02 AM
The sad part is, we both know that's not the only time you post.

Of course it's not. It's merely the most fun.

coopdogg3
07-01-2008, 12:04 AM

When is the last time the Blazers won a championship???

But you go ahead and have fun during those even years.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 12:05 AM
I think most knowledgable basketball people would tell you that the pro leagues in Europe are superior to NCAA ball.

Oh please. If knowledgeable people actually believed this well then they'd be as fucking helmet on the head retarded as you.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 12:06 AM

Well, yeah it would be. You LIVE IN PORTLAND. What else is there to do besides buy umbrellas. :sleep

K-State Spur
07-01-2008, 12:07 AM
the pro leagues in Europe are superior to NCAA ball.

Not all of them.

spurman20
07-01-2008, 12:08 AM

Auther is a short skinny bummmmmm he will never play D and will get pushed around by even small forwards.... He has no work ethic and will be a washout in pros....think josh McRoberts minus 2 inches!:flag:

K-State Spur
07-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Auther is a short skinny bummmmmm he will never play D and will get pushed around by even small forwards.... He has no work ethic and will be a washout in pros....think josh McRoberts minus 2 inches!:flag:

he makes mcroberts' jumper look like larry bird's.

tlongII
07-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Not all of them.

True, but I would argue that the French and Spanish leagues are.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 12:13 AM
So superior that French players are drafted every other year.

tlongII
07-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Well, yeah it would be. You LIVE IN PORTLAND. What else is there to do besides buy umbrellas. :sleep

Sorry I can't discuss this any longer. Gotta hit the sack. You probably should get some rest too. I'm sure you need to be sharp in your job as San Antonio city commissioner.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Sorry I can't discuss this any longer. Gotta hit the sack. You probably should get some rest too. I'm sure you need to be sharp in your job as San Antonio city commissioner.

Bye. You will not be missed. Understand this.

coopdogg3
07-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Averaged 8.5 ppg and 3.5 rpg in 26 mpg in Euroleague play this year.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=19038&draftyear=2008&univLogin02=stateChanged

Wow, those are some serious numbers.

One guy I can tell you about is Nicolas Batum. Teams are apparently worried about drafting Batum because of a possible heart ailment. I'd recommend avoiding him for other reasons -- like the fact that he can't play, for instance.

His numbers project to 9.6 points per 40 minutes, 39.8 percent shooting and an 8.89 PER. It's not like this was an off-year either -- his 2007 numbers are nearly identical. I understand that he's only 19, so perhaps there's some value in using a late second-round pick on him and stashing him in Europe to see if he grows, but that's about as strong a recommendation as I can muster.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3460365&name=hollinger_john

Since you like draft notes so well, here's a few on Batum. Ford likes him, to be fair, but I wouldn't get in a tizzy over his work in the EuroLeagues.