PDA

View Full Version : Guess we'll still be old spurs. Horry's coming back.

hater
06-30-2008, 02:59 PM
SI

HOUSTON (AP) -- San Antonio Spurs forward Robert Horry has decided against retirement and wants to return to the NBA for a 17th season, a Houston television station reported Friday.

Horry is set to become a free agent July 1.

"I don't want to retire, especially after a year like I had last year," Horry told KRIV-TV in Houston. "I know I could have had a better year. The year started off crazy for me with family issues and then it ended crazy for me getting hurt right at the end of the season."

The defending champion Spurs lost in the Western Conference finals to the Los Angeles Lakers in five games. Horry averaged 2.5 points a game last season, 1.5 during the playoffs.

Horry, known as "Big Shot Bob" for a resume filled with clutch baskets, turns 38 in August.

During the playoffs, Horry passed Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for the most playoff appearances in NBA history. Horry finished this season with 244 playoff game appearances; Abdul-Jabbar had 237. Horry has been in the playoffs in every one of his NBA seasons.

"I didn't get a full season in like I wanted to see if it's really time for me to retire. My last game I want to walk off the court sweating. My last game so far I walked off the court with a DNP (did not play) and I don't want it to happen that way."

Horry said he would like to return to the Spurs, where he spent the last five seasons. If that's not possible, then he would like to go to the Houston Rockets, where he played his first four seasons.

"It's not about breaking the bank," Horry said. "I just want the minimum. I've made enough money. I just like being with the guys and competing and having fun."

my guess is Finley is coming back too. oh well. time to get used to the old spurs again.

T Park
06-30-2008, 03:00 PM
yeah having a clutch guy like Horry who was a stud vs the Hornets is a horrible thing :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
Last week forum.

xtremesteven33
huh?

midgetonadonkey
06-30-2008, 03:02 PM
yeah having a clutch guy like Horry who was a stud vs the Hornets is a horrible thing :lol

I wouldn't quite call him a stud.

Kindergarten Cop
06-30-2008, 03:02 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100078

Although Horry has decided to play another year, his future with the Spurs has not been decided yet. He is a FA and the Spurs have not tilted their cards to whether or not they want him back. I'm guessing it will depend on if we can re-sign KT or not.

hater
06-30-2008, 03:05 PM
it's unlikely we will get another usable big man as is Houston going after HOrry. So he's pretty much coming back as Spur.

After reading this it seems Finley must have same opinion and is also coming back.

polandprzem
06-30-2008, 03:08 PM

He had 2 good games

Nothing big

spurs50_
06-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Great, if this happens we'll be the same old team and the few young guys we have will be riding the pine. Players get old, lets move on..

boutons_
06-30-2008, 03:10 PM
They will play until nobody signs them.

What idiot would turn down $1M+ to sit on the bench?

It's a grueling job with lots of mind-numbing (luxury) travel, but as jobs go, it ain't that bad.

urunobili
06-30-2008, 03:11 PM
for the minimum i'm cool with it... and he was clutch against the Hornets... he laid an egg against LA though

BacktoBasics
06-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Since one or two shots a year is totally worth it we might as well bring back Doc Rivers or fuck it I would mind suiting up Jerry West or someone like Sleepy Floyd either.

dudes a liability on the court. Period.

SPURSGOAT
06-30-2008, 03:19 PM
"My last game I want to walk off the court sweating. My last game so far I walked off the court with a DNP (did not play) and I don't want it to happen that way."

Ok fine let him come back for one game next season so he can play and then retire him after that one game.

I really don't want him back if it means we won't have room for some of the summer league guys if they make it or our FA that we get...

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 03:21 PM
It depends on how free agency shakes out. I'd rather see Horry on that bench when facing a Game 7 instead of Bonner.

Brutalis
06-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Veterans minimum. If he gets anymore I'm seriously pissed.

polandprzem
06-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Where is Penny hardaway

TPark would love spurs to sign him

I mean well , why not?

:jack