PDA

View Full Version : Undrafted Rookie Free Agents

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Here's a rundown.

http://allhiphopsports.blogspot.com/2008/06/undrafted-free-agents-nba-draft-summer.html

As part of my continuing coverage of certain NCAA basketball players, here is the latest scoop on some of the summer league landing spots for undrafted free agents.

Gary Forbes, UMass: Atlantic 10 Player of the Year and Honorable Mention All-American Gary Forbes will play for the Washington Wizards in the NBA Summer League. The NBA's annual showcase of young talent and free agents will take place July 11-20 in Las Vegas. 21 NBA clubs will field teams this year with all games taking place at the Thomas & Mack Center and COX Pavilion on the campus of UNLV. The Wizards open play on July 14 vs. Portland. (CSTV)

I think Forbes will have a really good chance of sticking with the Wizards and he may even earn a rotation spot on the team. However, there have been indications that the Wizards did not keep Bill Walker because they can't afford to take up roster spots with players who aren't in their rotation since they have to spend most of their money to re-sign Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison. It's possible that they don't view Forbes as a project though and see him as someone who can contribute immediately.

Josh Duncan, Xavier: General Manager Randy Pfund said the Heat already has lined up commitments for its summer program. Among those expected to assemble next week at AmericanAirlines Arena for camp and then possibly advance to summer league the following week at Orlando are Davidson guard Jason Richards, Louisville center David Padgett, St. Joseph's guard Pat Calathes, Xavier forward Josh Duncan and former Pittsburgh guard Antonio Graves. Those players would join Beasley, Chalmers and holdovers Kasib Powell and Stephane Lasme, among others, in camp. (Sun Sentinel)

Josh Duncan should have a chance to make the Miami Heat roster but he will probably have a hard time receiving playing time with Michaeal Beasley, Shawn Marion, and Udonis Haslem all logging minutes at the power forward spot. Duncan is versitile though so it is possible that he could play some minutes at small forward. Also, it doesn't appear Will Daniels will be invited to play for the Miami Heat summer league team judging by this list. That was one of the teams that was interested in him.

Othello Hunter, Ohio State: Hunter going undrafted is not necessarily a bad thing. It is probably better than get picked very late. He and his advisors have a chance to contact teams that have a need for a solid rebounder in the power forward position. The teams that would be most interested include Utah, New Orleans, or Atlanta. The latter two are particularly good choices because they did not have any draft choices in the 2008 draft. (Brutus Report)

My guess would be the best place for Hunter to land would be Atlanta, who doesn't really have a lot of quality low post players. Hunter isn't a typical low post player but he is active on the boards and defensively and he would definitely fit in with the Hawks style of play. Hunter was one of the more impressive players at the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp & the Portsmouth Pre-Draft Invitational Camp

Davon Jefferson, USC: Makhtar N'diaye, one of Jefferson's agents with Wasserman Media Group, said after the draft that six NBA teams had expressed interest in his client. N'diaye said Jefferson would play in the NBA summer league and "weigh his options," which could include attempting to obtain free-agent tryouts or playing overseas. N'diaye would not second-guess Jefferson's decision to enter the draft. "I'm more disappointed for the kid because I know he worked really hard the last two or three months to make it happen for himself," N'diaye said. "He made a decision that he thought was the right decision, and I support him 100%. It's not for me to judge him." (LA Times Blogs)

Jefferson is probably one of the most talented players not to be drafted but he came out after just one season at USC and his work ethic was questioned at the Orlando Pre-Draft camp. Since he is so young, I think the best bet for Jefferson would probably be to go overseas for a few years, where he could probably make big bucks. He will probably end up in the summer league but no mention of where has been said as of yet.

Jamont Gordon, Mississippi State: Former Mississippi State Basketball player Jamont Gordon was not selected in Thursdays National Basketball Association draft. Gordon left school early thinking he could be a possible late first round pick but at the end of the night his name was never called. Jamont Gordon left State after his junior season averaged 17.4 points per game this past season. Towards the end of the draft, ESPN analyst Jay Bilas had Gordon’s name listed as one the top names still not selected. Charles Rodgers, Gordon’s teammate at Mississippi State, also was not selected by an NBA team. (WJTV)

Gordon was seen as a possible late first round pick by some draft experts, so for him to go undrafted was probably the biggest shock of the draft, along with Gary Forbes. Gordon will certainly end up in the summer league somewhere and my bet would be that he will make a NBA roster by the start of the season. No word yet on where he will be playing in the summer league.
Reggie Williams, VMI: Once the Draft ended, the Mavs were on the phone with rookie free agents. The team has had success in the past with those players overlooked through 60 picks.The following free agents have been invited to join Renaldas Seibutis, Reyshawn Terry and Shan Foster on the summer league team: Keith McLeod, Aaron Miles, Derrick Low, Reggie Williams, Richie Frahm, JaJuan Smith, Pops Mensah-Bonsu, Yaroslav Korolev, Charles Rhodes, James Singleton and Pape Sow. Foster is expected to arrive in Dallas on Sunday and begin workouts Monday. The team hopes to firm up the summer league roster as soon as possible. The summer league team will play next month in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City. (Mavs Courtside View)

I'm not sure how much of a chance Williams has of making the Dallas roster, especially since they drafted Shan Foster who plays the same position as Williams. To my knowledge, both of them are weak defensively but Williams probably shoots the NBA three-pointer better than Shan Foster does. It will be interesting to see how this battle shakes out.

Brian Butch, Wisconsin: Two NBA teams will take a closer look at Brian Butch in the next few weeks. The former Wisconsin forward will be in Boston next week to participate in the Celtics minicamp. Next month, he'll be at Atlanta's minicamp and then play with the Hawks in the Utah summer league. "He's in a good spot," agent Scott Alexander said. The two offers are attractive to Butch for different reasons. According to Alexander, Butch had a good workout with the Celtics and general manager Danny Ainge was impressed with how well the big man moved and shot the ball, particularly from three-point range. Boston doesn't have a summer team, but Alexander is hoping that Butch's the time in Boston will allow the team to get to know him better as well as see how he might fit on to its roster. Atlanta, meanwhile, has some roster spots open and might have a need for a good-shooting power forward. Butch admitted he would have liked to be drafted, but this evening looked at the bright side of his situation. He got to pick an ideal situation for himself, which is key for anyone who doesn't get the guaranteed deal that comes with being a first-round pick. "The guy taken at 31 is in the same position as I am except I get I get two teams to work out for," Butch said. (Badgers Blog)

Drew Neitzel, Michigan State: Former Michigan State guard Drew Neitzel was awake long after he learned he wasn't among the 60 players selected in the NBA draft Thursday night. Neitzel was on the phone with his agent, Doug Neustadt, and multiple NBA teams looking to have him join their summer league squads -- and before he went to bed, he'd hooked up with the Minnesota Timberwolves. He'll participate in their summer league in Las Vegas on July 11-20. "I think it's a good situation, because Minnesota has open roster spots for point guards," Neitzel said Friday morning. "The summer league will be a good opportunity for me not only to show Minnesota what I can do, but the other teams there as well." Neitzel worked out for nine teams -- Minnesota, Golden State, Cleveland, Houston, Miami, Toronto, Portland, Phoenix and Sacramento -- and participated in the predraft camp in Orlando in late May. Neitzel got good reviews at the camp, but questions lingered as to whether the 6-foot combo guard had the speed and quickness to make it in the NBA. He was aware of that concern as he watched the draft from his home near Grand Rapids with his family. "I knew there was a chance I could go late in the second round or there was a chance I wouldn't get drafted," Neitzel said. "I didn't necessarily have my hopes up." Neitzel's senior season at MSU fell short of expectations. After averaging 18.1 points as a junior and leading a thin MSU squad to a second-round finish in the NCAA tournament, Neitzel earned honorable mention All-America honors and entered his senior season as the Big Ten's preseason player of the year. Many thought he had first-round draft potential. But while Neitzel contributed to MSU's Sweet 16 run with a solid assist-to-turnover ratio, his scoring dropped to 13.9 points, and he didn't take over games as much as he did as a junior. The Spartans were favored to win the Big Ten, but fell out of the race early. Those factors lowered his draft stock. Neitzel has no problem with the fact he'll have to prove -- again -- he's deserving of a spot on a team's roster. "I've always had to do that," he said. "Even if I was picked 45th, I would have had to go play in a summer league, go through training camp and fight for a spot. Nothing is guaranteed if you're taken in the second round." (Detroit Free Press)

Pat Calathes, St Joe's: The 6-10 Calathes, a good ball handler who gave the 21-13 Hawks 17.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, and 2.2 assists per game last season, said that he is weighing offers from overseas while not ruling out taking advantage of an invitation to an NBA camp. Calathes, who is from Casselberry, Fla., made the all-tournament team at Portsmouth after averaging 15.0 points and 8.3 rebounds. "We have some really good offers from overseas, and right now I'm thinking about that," he said yesterday before meeting with his agent, Jason Levien. "Maybe an NBA team is willing to offer a guarantee." (Philly.com)

General Manager Randy Pfund said the Heat already has lined up commitments for its summer program. Among those expected to assemble next week at AmericanAirlines Arena for camp and then possibly advance to summer league the following week at Orlando are Davidson guard Jason Richards, Louisville center David Padgett, St. Joseph's guard Pat Calathes, Xavier forward Josh Duncan and former Pittsburgh guard Antonio Graves. Those players would join Beasley, Chalmers and holdovers Kasib Powell and Stephane Lasme, among others, in camp. (Sun Sentinel)

Looks like Pat Calathes is headed to the Miami Heat for summer league along with Josh Duncan. I figure one of those two guys will make the team because both are verstile and shot the ball well. If not then you can expect to see Calathes sign overseas, especially since he is 6'10" with a Euro type game.

Mark Tyndale, Temple: The morning after their names were not called in the NBA draft, Temple's Mark Tyndale, Drexel's Frank Elegar and Niagara's Charron Fisher were on a plane to Cleveland yesterday for a weekend of workouts with the Cavaliers. All three are represented by Philadelphia-based agent Andre Buck of CAA Sports in Pennsauken. Buck's goal now is to find a place for his players on an NBA summer-league team. "Obviously, everybody gets caught up in the draft, but there are three more months to make your mark," said Buck, who also has former Strawberry Mansion High and George Washington guard Maureece Rice as a client. "I'm not sure they're going to make the NBA. But they will get a chance." Buck said that Tyndale, a 6-foot-5 swingman who played at Simon Gratz High, received calls from eight NBA teams after the two-round draft was over. Tyndale, who averaged 15.9 points and led the Owls with 7.2 rebounds and 4.3 assists per game as a senior, was a big reason Temple won the Atlantic Ten Conference title on its way to a 21-13 record and a berth in NCAA Tournament. "Mark was disappointed that he wasn't drafted," Buck said. "Several teams called and said they couldn't believe he wasn't picked. Those same teams said he just didn't fit in with them. But I think Mark is going to get a great opportunity." (Philly.com)

Demetric Bennett, South Alabama: South Alabama's Demetric Bennett was disappointed he wasn't selected in Thursday night's NBA draft, but the sharp-shooting guard will get his chance to reach basketball's ultimate level when he attends the Atlanta Hawks' summer-league camp in July. Bennett, the Jaguars' leading scorer last season with a 19.7 average, has been invited to compete on the Hawks' summer-league squad July 13-27 in Salt Lake City, where he will try to prove he has the skills to play in the NBA. (Alabama.com)

Chris Lofton, Tennessee: Chris Lofton is deciding which of two teams he will play for in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas summer league next month, his agent said Friday. The two-time All-SEC guard from Tennessee was not selected Thursday night in the NBA draft, which was not unexpected. Lofton will pick a team to join in the Las Vegas league that begins July 11. Of the 30 NBA franchises, 21 compete in the Las Vegas league.“There’s a couple of different teams that are very interested,’’ said Erik Fleischer, Lofton’s agent. “He’s going to try to narrow that down. “Both teams are in Las Vegas and he’ll get great exposure.’’ One of the teams is believed to be the Charlotte Bobcats. Buzz Peterson, the Tennessee coach who signed Lofton, is Charlotte’s director of player personnel. (Go Vols Extra)

Brutalis
06-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Gordon is someone that has a solid chance making a team.

Chris Lofton is a bag of shit. All he can do is shoot. He is a another Pat Bradley from Arkansas of the late 90s. Pure shooter, but lacks in every other department.

intlspurshk
06-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Pat Calathes maybe a good choice

Darkwaters
06-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Calathes is playing the SL for the Heat. Forbes is playing for the Wiz.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2008, 05:36 PM
If those players aren't picked up by their respective SL teams, they could conceivably play on the Spurs' squad in Vegas or SLC. Miami acted pretty quickly with Haslem that particular summer though.

waly.mg
06-30-2008, 05:46 PM
I may try for Josh Duncan only for the Surname

Sigz
06-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Brian Butch is the biggest pussy UW has ever seen. Pass.

How about Michael Flowers? Mr. dick vitale called him the "college Bruce Bowen".

The guy can flat out defend at the PG position...

Darkwaters
06-30-2008, 07:36 PM

How about Michael Flowers? Mr. dick vitale called him the "college Bruce Bowen".

Not trying to discredit either you or Flowers, but Dick Vitale is an absolute moron.

Sigz
06-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Not trying to discredit either you or Flowers, but Dick Vitale is an absolute moron.

:lol Yeah it is probably true..

But if the Spurs are looking for a defensive minded PG.. Flowers is probably one of the best, if not the best in college.

thekingrobert
06-30-2008, 08:01 PM
add Demarcus Nelson to that list

Ocotillo
06-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Anybody hear anything about Brumbaugh?

Sway
06-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Calathes and Brumbaugh may be worth a look.

Jlowd21
06-30-2008, 09:08 PM
add Demarcus Nelson to that list

Demarcus Nelson may be the best defensive-minded PG prospect that was eligible for the draft. He guarded the 1-4 throughout his college career and was named ACC defensive player of the year his senior year. He's also the all-time HS scoring leader out of Cali.

Dre_7
06-30-2008, 10:11 PM

Flowers was by far my favorite player last year (I am partial tho cuz he went to HS 10 minutes from my house lol). Spurs should take a serious look at him. Only 6'2" but he was the best Perimiter Defender last year in the NCAA.

Butch has been a huge disapointment to me. I was so pumped when wen got him as a HS All American. But soon as he came here he got fat and slow. And he is a jump shooting 7 foot pussy. So I think SA should stay FAR away from him.

On a side note, Butch isnt the biggest pussy. Dont forget about Mader. :lol