PDA

View Full Version : Report: Wizards may offer Arenas more than $100M

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 03:50 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8299632/Report:-Wizards-may-offer-Arenas-more-than-$100M

Report: Wizards may offer Arenas more than $100M
by FOXSports.com

Updated: June 30, 2008, 3:20 PM EST

The Washington Wizards plan to offer free agent Gilbert Arenas a long-term contract that could be worth more than $100 million, according to the Washington Post.

A three-time All-Star and one of the league's top scorers, Arenas is coming off two knee surgeries and missed most of last season. He opted out of the final year of his contract with the Wizards, but said he wanted to remain in Washington.

It is unclear whether the Wizards will meet his wish for a maximum-level contract of six years and $124 million, according to the Post, but there may not be much competition for his services.

Because he is their free agent, the Wizards can offer a six-year contract, while no other team can offer more than five. Also, very few teams have the cap space to make Arenas a huge offer.

Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld has said that signing Arenas and two-time All-Star forward Antawn Jamison would be his offseason priorities. Jamison is an unrestricted free agent and is close to signing a four-year deal with the Wizards worth around $50 million, according to ESPN.com.

NBA free agency officially begins at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday. Jamison could go off the market if he signs a deal today.

For the Wizards, there is also some urgency to sign Arenas, who does not have an agent and is representing himself. He leaves Tuesday morning for a two-week promotional tour in China and said negotiations will have to wait until his return if a deal isn't done before his 9 a.m. flight.

"Right now, I'm just sitting back waiting to see what is going to happen," Arenas told the Post. "I have a number in mind, a number I feel I'm worth and we'll just have to see what they come with. I guess we'll find out" tomorrow

midgetonadonkey
06-30-2008, 03:52 PM
That's way too much money for him.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Wizards might be in need of some lux tax relief, especially considering a report (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3467806) that Jamison is about to sign a 4 year, $50 mil extension.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 03:53 PM
About 40M over.

Tully365
06-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Washington was not that much worse without him this year. He seems more interested in winning one-on-one matchups against LeBron and Kobe and predicting how many points he'll score than anything else. I didn't like him at Arizona, and he still strikes me as immature. Duncan & Garnett are worth that kind of money, but there's no way I'd ever give that much to Gilbert.

Tacker
06-30-2008, 04:05 PM
About 40M over.

I dont see you barking at him for posting in the wrong forum you dumbfuck

rAm
06-30-2008, 04:09 PM

I think this has some relevance due to him being a Free Agent and all. It's not like someone coming into this forum and starting a thread on:

HOW DO YOU THINK THE BULLS WILL DO THIS YEAR?

BULLS MADE THE RIGHT DECISION WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Mister Sinister
06-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Rage much?

rj215
06-30-2008, 04:24 PM
another example of teams overvaluing their own players. this has michael redd written all over it. name one thing arenas does besides scoring....yeah didn't think so. plus he's a man-diva with all his stupid off the court behavior.

hater
06-30-2008, 04:27 PM
perfect example of a team who wants to sell tickets a lot more than win.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 04:30 PM

We don't care about the Bulls. We care about major free agent signings.

RAGE MUCH???

T Park
06-30-2008, 04:38 PM
:lol

bottom you gotta PM me where this "rage much" started

Mister Sinister
06-30-2008, 04:40 PM
:lol

bottom you gotta PM me where this "rage much" started
IIRC, it's Tacker's standard response when anyone disagrees with him.

Juanobili
06-30-2008, 04:40 PM
gah, get rid of him

SPURSGOAT
06-30-2008, 04:42 PM
How will they have money for anyone else if they sign both Jamison and Arenas for 50 and 100 mil?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 04:43 PM
How will they have money for anyone else if they sign both Jamison and Arenas for 50 and 100 mil?

They won't. :devil

dallaskd
06-30-2008, 04:45 PM
....to play basketball

mavs>spurs2
06-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Arenas isn't even all that good in my opinion. Reminds me of Ben Gordan with horrible shot selection.

T Park
06-30-2008, 04:47 PM

They will have to dump some salary, but the problem is, no one else is worth a fuck :lol

T Park
06-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Arenas isn't even all that good in my opinion. Reminds me of Ben Gordan with horrible shot selection.

Pretty much.

Now with all these knee surgeries and problems hes having, makes you wonder about his future for 2 or 3 years, let alone 6.

SenorSpur
06-30-2008, 04:52 PM
To borrow a phrase from that old legal axiom, "show me a player who represents himself and I'll show an agent that has a fool for a client"

T Park
06-30-2008, 04:53 PM
I think Arenas represents himself if that makes sense :lol

The Truth #6
06-30-2008, 04:59 PM
He knows he's not getting that. This is probably a way to set a high ceiling from which they can work down from. But still, $124 million? He's worth about $12 million a year.

He's never going to get them out of the second round. If they dump their money on him they'll never be a team that contends. They should try to trade him if possible and move on. Also, what happened to letting Jamison get his first? Did that already happen?

LakerHater
06-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Wrong forum.:nope

duncan228
06-30-2008, 05:08 PM
It's in the NBA forum too. :)

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100212

JamStone
06-30-2008, 05:11 PM
$100+ million is too much. But, I think $84-90 million is about right.

Essentially all NBA players are overpaid, especially those with contracts of more than the MLE. I'm not that fond of Arenas the player, but I think he's a star in the league, and if healthy, is very, very good. He's worth around $15 million a year when you look at other stars in the league. I think he's in the same class as guys like Shawn Marion, Rashard Lewis, Michael Redd, Pau Gasol, and Lamar Odom. Now are any of those players worth what they make? Probably not. But, that's the market value. That's about what Arenas is worth.

kobyz
06-30-2008, 05:11 PM
if they will give him that much of money they will give up on opportunity cause with Arenas as a leader and as the best player you can't be a top team in the league, they better give the PG position to AD and use the money wisely

mavs>spurs2
06-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Pretty much.

Now with all these knee surgeries and problems hes having, makes you wonder about his future for 2 or 3 years, let alone 6.

Arenas is the type of player he'll still chuck 30 shots a game, even if it's from the sideline in a wheelchair. The Wizards FO is retarded if they give him anything more than 80 mil with what you mentioned about his knee problems.

Obstructed_View
06-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Washington was not that much worse without him this year.

If memory serves, they were better without him. They started off 6-7 and ended up making the playoffs with the best record they'd had in 11 years after he went down.

SenorSpur
06-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Anybody think Gil may have compromised his value by coming back late in the season and trying to play (albeit unsuccessfully)?

Brutalis
06-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Halfway through his contract it shouldn't be as big of a deal.

What do you think Tony will be asking?...??

ShoogarBear
06-30-2008, 06:49 PM
The Wiz played much better ball on both offense and defense without Arenas.

The problem is the Wiz have tied Arenas as their "star", and it's take massive balls for Ernie Grunfeld and the FO to take the PR hit from just letting him walk away. (Although one could argue: he's overpaid, the team plays better without him, he will never be the #1 option on a championship team, and he's got an unclear future coming back from major injuries--this should be an easy decision.)

Best case scenario would be for the Wiz to find a sucker for a big-time S&T, but the options for trading Hibachi's contract are limited, and I suspect nobody is really interested.

The stupidest thing is that I think the Wiz are bidding against themselves. Nobody's going to give Arenas a max contract. I'd be shocked if anyone would consider giving him more than $90 million. Well, maybe Chris Wallace or Kevin McHale.

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 06:52 PM
I don't know if the team is really better without him.

But I do think that he is the anti-duncan where his teammates are actually worse with him on the floor.

SenorSpur
06-30-2008, 06:55 PM
The Wiz played much better ball on both offense and defense without Arenas.

The problem is the Wiz have tied Arenas as their "star", and it's take massive balls for Ernie Grunfeld and the FO to take the PR hit from just letting him walk away. (Although one could argue: he's overpaid, the team plays better without him, he will never be the #1 option on a championship team, and he's got an unclear future coming back from major injuries--this should be an easy decision.)

Best case scenario would be for the Wiz to find a sucker for a big-time S&T, but the options for trading Hibachi's contract are limited, and I suspect nobody is really interested.

The stupidest thing is that I think the Wiz are bidding against themselves. Nobody's going to give Arenas a max contract. I'd be shocked if anyone would consider giving him more than $90 million. Well, maybe Chris Wallace or Kevin McHale.

Great points. Besides that, most teams don't have any money. Those that do are cautiously positioning themselves for the LeBron/Wade/Bosh sweepstakes in 2010. If I were Grunfeld, I'd offer him a fair, yet reasonable contract. Lock him up for 6 years. THen ship his ass out after next season. You don't want to sign him to an untradeable contract that you can't deal later on. IMO, they are actually a more cohesive team with Agent 0.

angelbelow
06-30-2008, 07:08 PM
VERY risky imo, hes coming off major surgery that pretty much kept him out for a year.

td4mvp21
06-30-2008, 07:10 PM
I don't know why the Wizards wouldn't want to rebuild or reconsider their team when they've had this lineup for years and have only made it past the first round once.

Obstructed_View
06-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Great points. Besides that, most teams don't have any money. Those that do are cautiously positioning themselves for the LeBron/Wade/Bosh sweepstakes in 2010. If I were Grunfeld, I'd offer him a fair, yet reasonable contract. Lock him up for 6 years. THen ship his ass out after next season. You don't want to sign him to an untradeable contract that you can't deal later on. IMO, they are actually a more cohesive team with Agent 0.

I think the Wizards should encourage him to test the market before he comes back, just to get his salary demands into line with his actual value.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-30-2008, 07:39 PM
They will have to dump some salary, but the problem is, no one else is worth a fuck :lol

Caron Butler would politely disagree.

Obstructed_View
06-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Caron Butler would politely disagree.

as he walks out the door to make some other team better, which he actually will.

exstatic
06-30-2008, 08:09 PM
I'll bet there are NO Wiz fans as irate over this cap-death contract as some Spurs fans are over drafting Hill. Pathetic. Nothing says "we're not remotely interested in winning" like signing a steaming pile contract like this.

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-30-2008, 08:12 PM
as he walks out the door to make some other team better, which he actually will.

Not that I think there's a chance in hell the Spurs could sign him, but what's his deal? He's one of my favorite players.

exstatic
06-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Not that I think there's a chance in hell the Spurs could sign him, but what's his deal? He's one of my favorite players.

Signed thru 2010-2011 @~ $10M per.

ShoogarBear
06-30-2008, 09:57 PM
I'll bet there are NO Wiz fans as irate over this cap-death contract as some Spurs fans are over drafting Hill. Pathetic. Nothing says "we're not remotely interested in winning" like signing a steaming pile contract like this.

Wiz fans are a funny bunch. DC is a big basketball town: they love HS ball, they love college ball, they love the NBA. But the Wiz . . . eh. They did a okay job of supporting them once they started making the playoffs again, but there's not a ton of passion, nor a ton of expectations or pressure that this team get to the next level. Maybe it's because they sucked for so long, but if they spend the next five years getting eliminated in round 1-2 of the playoffs with Arenas playing no defense, that would probably be okay with the typical Wiz fan.

Spurtacus
06-30-2008, 11:51 PM
This contract is a joke. Arenas is a joke. He's getting paid twice as much as Jamison. Fuck that.

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2008, 12:03 AM
if lewis got 120m last season, why cant arenas?

mavs>spurs2
07-01-2008, 02:41 AM
if lewis got 120m last season, why cant arenas?

2 wrongs don't make a right. Neither of them are worth anywhere near that much, why would Washington make that mistake just because Orlando did?

rj215
07-01-2008, 02:51 AM
2 wrongs don't make a right. Neither of them are worth anywhere near that much, why would Washington make that mistake just because Orlando did?

You can't win with guys like Arenas, AI, Melo, etc because they're me-first players who don't give a shit about sharing the ball, making teammates better, listening to coaches or playing defense....you know all the things that have gotten the Spurs 4 larry o'brien's....

lefty
07-01-2008, 02:57 AM
100 millions is right

For every jump shot he takes

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Gilbert Arenas is one-step away from accepting a six-year offer from the Washington Wizards that could be worth as much as $127 million, according to a source close to both sides.

Ernie Grunfeld, Washington Wizards team president, offered the point guard on Tuesday morning a six-year deal for $127 million, one of two offers presented to Arenas just after the free agency period began. The Golden State Warriors also made a max deal offer to Gilbert Arenas. The Warriors extended to Arenas a five-year deal for $101 million. Because Arenas was under contract with them, The Wizards are allowed to offer six years while other teams can only throw in five-year contracts.

Although the Wizards' proposal is for an extra year and $26 million, that is not a deciding factor for Arenas, the source said to The Washington Times. It may be possible that the Wizards' offer carries more weight with Arenas because the guard has surfaced as a star in the NBA during his time in the District. According to the source Arenas is likely to take less than the max to help give the Wizards more financial flexibility. Arenas probably will not agree to the new deal until returning from China, where he participates as part of a two-week promotional tour with Adidas.

Last month, Arenas decided to get out of the final year of his $65 million deal with the Wizards to follow a long-term max deal. During the entire process, he maintained that his wish was to return to Washington. The Warriors – the team that drafted him from Arizona – showed their interest in Arenas when point guard Baron Davis suddenly choose to give up the final year of his deal with Golden State. Had he not opted out, Davis would have earned $17.8 million had.

The Washington Wizards were thought to be the only playoff team with the salary cap flexibility to satisfy Arenas' demands, but Davis' move freed up Golden State.

The Wizards re-signed, on Monday, power forward Antawn Jamison for a period of four years and $50 million, one of Arenas’ conditions for re-signing himself.

© 2007 - 2008 - eFluxMedia

link (http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Arenas_Still_To_Be_A_Wizard_19753.html)

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Damn.

wisnub
07-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Damn Arenas...he milk Wizzard like a baby searching for tits....I'm afraid Jamison also resign as well. I got this dream where Jamison go to SPurs but I guess its just a dream...no good free agent go to Spurs in at least 10 years history