PDA

View Full Version : Will the Spurs offer JR Smith the MLE tonight at midnight?

50 cent
06-30-2008, 05:37 PM
I think it's a move that has to be made to keep us contending for the rest of the Duncan era.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Along with four or five other teams....

The Truth #6
06-30-2008, 05:41 PM
I don't see it happening.

I imagine us trying to get Pietrus, and for some crazy reason, I can see the Spurs surprising everyone by making an offer on the real Fabio, Walter Hermann, if only to confound us.

tav1
06-30-2008, 05:47 PM
We should change this thread up to "Who Do You Think the Spurs Are Targeting in Free Agency?" Note, not who would you like the Spurs to target...Let everyone go on record before midnight and we'll how many of us get it correct.

The Truth #6
06-30-2008, 05:49 PM
But why would he want to come here? He wants a two year contract where he can put up big numbers to get a bigger deal, right? He won't be able to put up big numbers here the way our offense is spread out. One would think playing on the Spurs should help his value but I don't see him agreeing.

midgetonadonkey
06-30-2008, 05:51 PM
The Spurs will offer zero contracts at midnight.

kobyz
06-30-2008, 05:55 PM
i dont think we should sign any free agent this year, the free agentsy this year is not good, we should save our money and our salary cup for 2009 or 2010

tav1
06-30-2008, 06:03 PM
i dont think we should sign any free agent this year, the free agentsy this year is not good, we should save our money and our salary cup for 2009 or 2010

?!? wtf

What cap money in 2009?

tav1
06-30-2008, 06:04 PM

Ok. Suppose they offer a contract sometime after midnight, whether 2 am or next week, who do you think they plan to go after.

CaptainLate
06-30-2008, 06:05 PM
But why would he want to come here? He wants a two year contract where he can put up big numbers to get a bigger deal, right? He won't be able to put up big numbers here the way our offense is spread out.

I disagree. If he's starting, he'll put up bigger numbers than Finley. And if Manu starts to break down, he'll get even more minutes. He's young and can handle it.

OBTW, doesn't a two-yr deal fit into the 2010 timeframe of the Spurs' FO? Treat him like a Derek Anderson. I said before give him the two-yr and tell him if he does well and behaves himself he's young enough to be part of a longer-term deal to be on the team in Duncan's twilight years.

midgetonadonkey
06-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Ok. Suppose they offer a contract sometime after midnight, whether 2 am or next week, who do you think they plan to go after.

Your mom.

The Truth #6
06-30-2008, 07:03 PM
I disagree. If he's starting, he'll put up bigger numbers than Finley. And if Manu starts to break down, he'll get even more minutes. He's young and can handle it.

OBTW, doesn't a two-yr deal fit into the 2010 timeframe of the Spurs' FO? Treat him like a Derek Anderson. I said before give him the two-yr and tell him if he does well and behaves himself he's young enough to be part of a longer-term deal to be on the team in Duncan's twilight years.

By big numbers I was suggesting by his standards, not modest improvements over the ghost of Michael Finley.

I agree that he should be able to score here, and if he's used properly he could even be our second leading scorer. But I don't see Pop turning over the keys to the house to JR Smith, as much as it would make sense to work him hard in the regular season to save our vets for the playoffs.

angelbelow
06-30-2008, 07:19 PM
lets wait and see how the artest situation will play out.

SPURSGOAT
06-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Spurs won't do anything tonight... they will wait til 5 other teams already have their offer on the table for JR.

Obstructed_View
06-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Spurs won't do anything tonight... they will wait til 5 other teams already have their offer on the table for JR.

JR knows what the Spurs are offering anyway. There's not much mystery there.

SPURSGOAT
06-30-2008, 07:51 PM
JR knows what the Spurs are offering anyway. There's not much mystery there.

True... just the MLE...

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Do the Spurs think they need JR?

Slinkyman
06-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Pietrus will be cheaper and is unrestricted. I think the spurs go in his direction.

clubalien
06-30-2008, 08:12 PM
I want ron artest i think spurs are targeting jr though

SPURSGOAT
06-30-2008, 09:17 PM
at midnight the Spurs will go after Pietrus for half the MLE....

sabar
06-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Spurs will wait. Guaranteed.

romad_20
06-30-2008, 09:47 PM
I like pietrus better. Instant chemistry with Tony plus i still don't trust JR at all.

taps
06-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Somebody most aren't expecting. I don't know who, but that's how I think it'll end up.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2008, 10:01 PM
I like pietrus better. Instant chemistry with Tony plus i still don't trust JR at all.

You don't trust J.R.? Pietrus didn't exactly light it up down the stretch for GS, either...

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 10:03 PM
I can tell you who they won't give the MLE to tonight.

bigdog
06-30-2008, 10:06 PM
I want ron artest i think spurs are targeting jr though

Artest didn't opt out. I think the Spurs might still have interest in JR, so I can see them talking to him and his agent, but I don't think they'd offer the full MLE for him.

johngateswhiteley
06-30-2008, 11:37 PM
imo, there aren't many wing players better for the money. i hope the Spurs get him.

T Park
06-30-2008, 11:38 PM
I can tell you who they won't give the MLE to tonight.

Tiago Splitter?

Buddy Holly
06-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Tiago Splitter?

I think he was talking about Artest.

Indazone
06-30-2008, 11:39 PM
JR Smith is exactly what the Spurs need. Huge athleticism and puts up big numbers efficiently. If Horry and Barry don't come back, this guy will be a huge upgrade.

T Park
06-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Barry will be back.

JR Smith would be fine I agree.

baseline bum
06-30-2008, 11:45 PM
JR Smith is exactly what the Spurs need. Huge athleticism and puts up big numbers efficiently. If Horry and Barry don't come back, this guy will be a huge upgrade.

This season is the only one he's scored efficiently in. He's got undeniable talent though.

Buddy Holly
06-30-2008, 11:46 PM
This season is the only one he's scored efficiently in. He's got undeniable talent though.

It was the first season he got an real consistent burn.

coopdogg3
06-30-2008, 11:47 PM
I personally don't want J.R. Smith. It will be interesting to see who the Spurs target.

They may be able to get away with an MLE offer with a player option after year 2. That way if the player stays, so much the better, if they opt out, the 2010 Plan is still in effect.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Tiago Splitter?

Him too.

baseline bum
06-30-2008, 11:50 PM
It was the first season he got an real consistent burn.

Not really. He played 4 minutes a game more in '07 than '08, and played even more his rookie year in New Orleans ('05).

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-30-2008, 11:54 PM
JR was a 17ppg player before those suspensions happened. He could easily be a 20+ppg if Ai wasn't around

Buddy Holly
06-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Not really. He played 4 minutes a game more in '07 than '08, and played even more his rookie year in New Orleans ('05).

Wow. Never looked at his stats before. But just thought I saw him playing more this season.

Interesting to note, his fg % and three point % has improved every season.

Obstructed_View
07-01-2008, 12:47 AM
I don't think I'd guarantee JR a starting job simply out of loyalty to Manu if I'm the Spurs.

T Park
07-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Manu wouldn't start anyways whoever is brought in.

Ginobili is gonna go fuck off this summer, so your gonna have to give him a shit load of games off and someones gonna have to shoulder the load.

Spurtacus
07-01-2008, 01:06 AM
J.R. is only 22 years old (23 in September). His game is on the rise. Most of us want him, but I doubt the FO is looking into him much.

bigdog
07-01-2008, 01:10 AM
J.R. is only 22 years old (23 in September). His game is on the rise. Most of us want him, but I doubt the FO is looking into him much.

Is that why they've looked into him a couple of the past years? They tried to trade for him and things didn't work out. If they liked him before, they should still like him now. The only reason I can see them ignoring JR is because of his attitude.

wisnub
07-01-2008, 01:10 AM
Im desperate....Artest off,Magette 's not coming..sign JR instead. Fook Pietrus. If we slip JR then we can sign Pietrus or Azubuike hehe

Spurtacus
07-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Is that why they've looked into him a couple of the past years? They tried to trade for him and things didn't work out. If they liked him before, they should still like him now. The only reason I can see them ignoring JR is because of his attitude.

You are talking about the past. I'm talking about right now. If he's a priority, Spurs should be picking up the phone pretty soon.

bigdog
07-01-2008, 01:21 AM
You are talking about the past. I'm talking about right now. If he's a priority, Spurs should be picking up the phone pretty soon.

Who's to say they already haven't made a call?

They could very well be contacting his agent right now.

Spurtacus
07-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Who's to say they already haven't made a call?

They could very well be contacting his agent right now.

Did I say they haven't made a call? I said "pretty soon". Maybe they have, maybe they haven't. I hope they will, but my gut tells me they haven't since we're only a few hours into free agency. Purely opinion.

bigdog
07-01-2008, 01:26 AM
Did I say they haven't made a call? I said "pretty soon". Maybe they have, maybe they haven't. I hope they will, but my gut tells me they haven't since we're only a few hours into free agency. Purely opinion.

True. I hope they make the call, if they already haven't. If their heads are in the right place, they would make a call to an MLE player right away.

Spurtacus
07-01-2008, 01:28 AM
True. I hope they make the call, if they already haven't. If their heads are in the right place, they would make a call to an MLE player right away.

I agree. Need to spend it fast and wise.

lefty
07-01-2008, 01:36 AM

Wrong.

They're about to offer an extension to Jacques Vaughn for the ballboy open spot, and Michael Finley as a shooting coach to replace Chip Engelland.

itzsoweezee
07-01-2008, 01:41 AM
i'd like to see an offer made to josh childress.

bigdog
07-01-2008, 01:42 AM

I'd love it, but he has zero jumpshot.

Spurtacus
07-01-2008, 01:51 AM

His "jumpshot" scares me. Really.

Look out for Josh Childress. The 6'8" SF for the Atlanta Hawks becomes a restricted free agent this summer, and he might be the biggest bargain on the market. Childress is averaging 12 ppg on 58 percent shooting to go along with above average ballhandling and a knack for crashing the offensive boards. His game can be compared somewhat to that of Shawn Marion's, which is fair, considering they're the same height, they're both athletic enough to guard multiple positions, and oddly enough seem to have hired the same 85 year old man to teach them how to shoot. I give a slight edge to Marion, whose chest-flick jumpshot is slightly more honed. But at the age of 24, there is even a chance that Childress sits down for a few consecutive summers to rebuild his shot entirely. Simply raising his release on the ball head would allow Childress' height to work more in his favor, keeping him in the league long after his currently springy legs run out of bounce.

spursjustice
07-01-2008, 05:05 AM
His "jumpshot" scares me. Really.

It's crazy to a point I don't even know when to release the button to shoot when I play NBA2k8..

ChumpDumper
07-01-2008, 05:09 AM
Any news yet. It's already been five hours :pctoss

Bruno
07-01-2008, 05:14 AM
If Spurs have made an offer to Smith, their best interest it to keep it secret. Offers can't be signed before July 9th. There are no reason to give Nuggets 16 days to match instead of 7.

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2008, 05:19 AM
might as well give an offer to josh smith just to tease the pundits

Demo Dick Marcinko
07-01-2008, 05:20 AM
If Spurs have made an offer to Smith, their best interest it to keep it secret. Offers can't be signed before July 9th. There are no reason to give Nuggets 16 days to match instead of 7.

I like the way you think, you sly dog you.:toast

mrspurs
07-01-2008, 07:00 AM
last night pop talked about FA on the news...and jr. smith was the only outside player he talked about........dont be surprised to jr. smith in our uniform, if anything he would let manu get some rest........

bigdog
07-01-2008, 08:23 AM
last night pop talked about FA on the news...and jr. smith was the only outside player he talked about........dont be surprised to jr. smith in our uniform, if anything he would let manu get some rest........

Shit, I never heard him talk about Smith.

If he did, then this could be a good thing. If Pop actually spoke about another player in particular, maybe we will actually do something.

Ocotillo
07-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Can he utter another team's player's name prior to midnight? I thought that could be considered tampering.

bigdog
07-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Can he utter another team's player's name prior to midnight? I thought that could be considered tampering.

That's what I was thinking.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-01-2008, 10:34 AM
I hope the Nuggets don't match the offer to the very last minute. Would be nice ensuring the Spurs money is tied up in a pointless exercise :smokin :lol

Meanwhile the Nuggets resign JR without using any of their MLE and can use that to sign some other help.

Stan isn't afraid to spend the big bucks. Id say he gives the Nuggets one last season of big contracts and if they fail miserably again, then he will start becoming a cheap skate.

coopdogg3
07-01-2008, 10:36 AM
I hope the Nuggets don't match the offer to the very last minute. Would be nice ensuring the Spurs money is tied up in a pointless exercise :smokin :lol

Meanwhile the Nuggets resign JR without using any of their MLE and can use that to sign some other help.

Stan isn't afraid to spend the big bucks. Id say he gives the Nuggets one last season of big contracts and if they fail miserably again, then he will start becoming a cheap skate.

If JR Smith signs an offer sheet, I'm sure the Nuggets will wait 'til the last minute to match, or let him walk. Whether it's the Spurs or not. That's why it's dangerous going after Restricted Free Agents.

1Parker1
07-01-2008, 10:37 AM
The thing we offer that other clubs can't is a starting position and a championship team. Maybe the Suns can match that offer, but I can't see many others with the championship part.

He will play a key role with us if we get him.

Pop never guarantees a starting position or even a set playing time to FA or new players. He says they have to earn it.

MoSpur
07-01-2008, 10:38 AM
The Spurs better make an offer to this guy.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-01-2008, 10:39 AM
If JR Smith signs an offer sheet, I'm sure the Nuggets will wait 'til the last minute to match, or let him walk. Whether it's the Spurs or not. That's why it's dangerous going after Restricted Free Agents.

yeh. It's a risk.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2008, 10:48 AM

If the Spurs throw in a 20% signing bonus on the deal, is Stan going to be willing to spend $12 million in 2008-2009 for a sixth man? He may not be afraid to spend some money, but that's a lot of jack.

cambrad
07-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Please, offer JR the MLE so we can match it immediately.

No JR for you.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-01-2008, 11:09 AM
i figured Stan would match any MLE deal for JR, but it's good to have confirmation.

:smokin

mrspurs
07-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Shit, I never heard him talk about Smith.

If he did, then this could be a good thing. If Pop actually spoke about another player in particular, maybe we will actually do something.

last night on ksat....he didnt mention anyone outside the spurs organization but jr.smith

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2008, 11:28 AM
i figured Stan would match any MLE deal for JR, but it's good to have confirmation.

:smokin

No offense, but is another fan's opinion all the "confirmation" that you need to assure you that the Denver FO is going to match?

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-01-2008, 11:31 AM
nah it's not from him...... but i don't want to be one of those douche fans that say 'i heard it from a source' :lol

we will just wait and see what happens

Bruno
07-01-2008, 11:39 AM
JR Smith is light year ahead of other FA options when it some to talent.
He has his flaws but I rather have these kind of players than a flawless scrub.

The main knock is that he is restricted and I think nuggets will match. Are Spurs ready to lock their MLE for one week with in all likelihood a bad outcome.

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2008, 11:39 AM
nah it's not from him...... but i don't want to be one of those douche fans that say 'i heard it from a source' :lol

we will just wait and see what happens

You're right, only time will tell - but I find it difficult to believe (as do most others, including the some media pundits) that the Denver FO will match a 2yr/$12M deal (which will actually cost them much more than that, considering the Luxury Tax) for a guy that comes off the bench. Now if Iverson would have opted out, I would have thought that that they would do ANYTHING to keep J.R. - but I think that they let him walk if someone offers a short-term MLE deal now that AI is aboard. But this is all my opinion of course, and as you said "we will just wait and see what happens".:toast

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Actually i think AI not opting out is a positive thing in the JR sweepstakes. If AI opted out then it woul have only been because the Nuggets agreed to sign him to a new and longer contract. In that case Ai would have started for X amount of years.

Now that Ai hasn't opted out, it means he is a huge expiring contract and it also means the starting SG spot will be open after this season.

Who knows how it will play out.......

nkdlunch
07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
JR is way overrated in this forum

The Truth #6
07-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Can the Spurs offer JR a deal and it not be made public? I would think that the other team would delight in making it public.

If possible, I could see the Spurs trying to keep any offer to a RFA a secret so that some other team (Houston) doesn't come in and try to make an offer to Barry to force our hand before we know if the other team matches the offer sheet.

Curious what is possible...

GrandeDavid
07-01-2008, 01:31 PM
I think it's a move that has to be made to keep us contending for the rest of the Duncan era.

Too bad he's not the smartest player in the L. Might be more of a headcase liability long run.