PDA

View Full Version : Damnit, BDavis is opting out

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Signing any of the Warriors wings just got tougher.

Jlowd21
06-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Kiss Azibuike goodbye

SPURSGOAT
06-30-2008, 09:36 PM
we should still have a pretty good chance at Pietrus; might take the full MLE now though...

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Yeah, the odds weren't great to begin with but I think you can kiss any possibilities of getting Kelenna goodbye.

thekingrobert
06-30-2008, 09:48 PM
I think this makes our chances greater B-Diddy, Ellis, and Biedrins no way they worry about Azibuike

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Someone explain this to me.
I thought getting Kelenna would be easier with Baron opting out?

angelbelow
06-30-2008, 09:49 PM
darn it... lets just hope he resigns for a big contract.

thekingrobert
06-30-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm with you Mr Tooth, they need to worry about their core players before their role players

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2008, 09:55 PM

With Baron opting out, his $17.8 million he was owed this coming season comes off the books for Golden State.

Counting him they were on the hook for $49 million, and that's before talking to Biedrins and Ellis, both expected to be roughly 8-10 million dollar guys.

So, you've got the luxury tax cap sitting at $69 million and GS needs to re-sign both those two, which would push them up near the luxury tax, and they'd still need to sign at the minimum four more players at that point, with Barnes, Pietrus, and Kelenna twisting in the wind.

Reading the tea leaves, perhaps this indicates that Baron is opting out to take a cheaper deal with GS and give them the cap relief necessary to keep Ellis, Biedrins, and one of those three wings (maybe even more).

With him committed, the Spurs could have offered him the full MLE with some contract pay kickers in there that would have made him cost upwards of 11-12 million for the first year or two (factoring in the dollar for dollar lux tax penalty).

That said, Kelenna's position for them was really SF, and I read an article last night where the GS beat writer speculated that with Anthony Randolph on board, Nellie is thinking of playing Randolph at SF and that would make Kelenna, if offered a sizable amount, expendable.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 09:56 PM
With Baron opting out, his $17.8 million he was owed this coming season comes off the books for Golden State.

Counting him they were on the hook for $49 million, and that's before talking to Biedrins and Ellis, both expected to be roughly 8-10 million dollar guys.

So, you've got the luxury tax cap sitting at $69 million and GS needs to re-sign both those two, which would push them up near the luxury tax, and they'd still need to sign at the minimum four more players at that point, with Barnes, Pietrus, and Kelenna twisting in the wind.

Reading the tea leaves, perhaps this indicates that Baron is opting out to take a cheaper deal with GS and give them the cap relief necessary to keep Ellis, Biedrins, and one of those three wings (maybe even more).

With him committed, the Spurs could have offered him the full MLE with some contract pay kickers in there that would have made him cost upwards of 11-12 million for the first year or two (factoring in the dollar for dollar lux tax penalty).

That said, Kelenna's position for them was really SF, and I read an article last night where the GS beat writer speculated that with Anthony Randolph on board, Nellie is thinking of playing Randolph at SF and that would make Kelenna, if offered a sizable amount, expendable.

Ah, I see.

Oh, shit.

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 09:58 PM

if they re-sign him for the max, it would make getting kelenna easier. but they don't seem overly keen to do that.

thekingrobert
06-30-2008, 10:00 PM
and if BDiddy walks who would be the point? Doesnt seem too ideal for GS

ShoogarBear
06-30-2008, 10:01 PM

http://www.kzs-zveza.si/kzs/slike/udrih_beno.jpg

This could be a match made in heaven.

Mr.Bottomtooth
And where did you hear this? I can't find a link.

Mr.Bottomtooth

This could be a match made in heaven.

:lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2008, 10:04 PM
And where did you hear this? I can't find a link.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2008/06/30/baron-davis-opts-out-a-shocker-and-a-humongous-risk-unless-he-has-an-under-the-table-deal/

ou don’t shock most NBA types easily. Seen it all. Figure the biggest players are the ones most capable of the biggest surprises.

But I just did a quick survey of a few people around the league and they are stunned, just stunned, that Baron Davis chose to reverse course and opt-out of the last year and $17.8-million contract.

It was done quietly, too, which surprises me almost as much. I never imagined Davis would opt-out (I am on LOUD RECORD on that one, so Baron can laugh at me forever–unless he screwed this up royally, we’ll see), but I also figured that if he did, he’d do it with horns blaring.

Nope. The paperwork apparently got over to the Warriors without fanfare today after 4 p.m. Nobody there expected it or had any pre-warning, especially since Baron’s agent said last week that he almost certainly wouldn’t be opting out.

Story continued at the link above.

This will be interesting to watch, because this actually puts Baron on the books for 150% of his salary (25 million) and hoses up the GS salary cap situation. Unless they've already worked something out with him, this really puts GS in a bind on dealing with free agents...

ShoogarBear
06-30-2008, 10:06 PM

Another way to ask the question is, where would Davis go? Maybe the Wiz would consider swapping him for Arenas.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Another way to ask the question is, where would Davis go? Maybe the Wiz would consider swapping him for Arenas.

NJ or the Clips?

ShoogarBear
06-30-2008, 10:13 PM
NJ or the Clips?

I don't know, but I'm guessing Davis also may want to go to a team with a shot at decent playoff run. The Clips may have a better team than the Nets, and they're in his hometown, but they have almost no chance at making the playoffs and I don't know Sterling will sign him to big deal. The Nets are in the East, so they're always in the running for a 7 or 8 spot.

timvp
06-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Clippers might let Maggette and Brand walk to bring in Davis. Davis spends most of his time in LA and would likely be open to going home. Sterling knows Davis would sell tickets, so he'd be down.

montgod
06-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Clippers might let Maggette and Brand walk to bring in Davis. Davis spends most of his time in LA and would likely be open to going home. Sterling knows Davis would sell tickets, so he'd be down.

I could see Maggette walk, but not Brand.

Baron Davis and Brand would be a good duo. I just don't see Sterling paying B. Davis that type of moola.

He would go the cheap route of trading Maggette for Barbosa even though he isn't a true point.

thekingrobert
06-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Espn says he would be good in NY

rj215
06-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Signing any of the Warriors wings just got tougher.

Then again resigning with the Warriors would mean that (Azabuke, Ellis, Davis etc) would have to play for Don 'I hate my players' Nelson. This is the same dumbass that didn't play Davis in a critical game late in the season and it ended up costing them a playoff spot.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I haven't got any sources but from what the comments I'm reading from Warriors fans it gives the notion that he's actually opting out to get a larger deal.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2008, 10:55 PM
I could see Maggette walk, but not Brand.

Baron Davis and Brand would be a good duo. I just don't see Sterling paying B. Davis that type of moola.

He would go the cheap route of trading Maggette for Barbosa even though he isn't a true point.

Well, they did not extend a qualifying offer to Livingston (5.8 million), and if Maggette walks that frees up $8.4 million, putting them at about $40 million against the cap.

They could have enough room under the cap for Davis to not worry about the lux tax and next year would have another $14 million coming off the books.

And he knows Davis would sell tickets.

baseline bum
06-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Pretty sweet. If Davis goes to the Clippers, we have a real shot at Maggette. If not, he stays in Golden State for a large deal that makes signing Azibuike prohibitively expensive for them.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Pretty sweet. If Davis goes to the Clippers, we have a real shot at Maggette. If not, he stays in Golden State for a large deal that makes signing Azibuike prohibitively expensive for them.

Yeah, if he re-signs, we'll know whether or not Kelenna is a viable option.

The question is, when will that be?

Spurtacus
06-30-2008, 11:45 PM
I haven't got any sources but from what the comments I'm reading from Warriors fans it gives the notion that he's actually opting out to get a larger deal.

I'd like to believe that, but Davis sounds unhappy with his future role.

"Davis, a 29-year-old veteran, repeatedly has said he intended to return to Golden State, but he might be displeased by Warriors coach Don Nelson's recent declarations about giving more playing time to Golden State's young players, even at the expense of a few victories next season. Nelson reiterated his plan Monday at a news conference to introduce draft picks Anthony Randolph and Richard Hendrix."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3468448

timvp
07-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Pretty sweet. If Davis goes to the Clippers, we have a real shot at Maggette. If not, he stays in Golden State for a large deal that makes signing Azibuike prohibitively expensive for them.The Spurs have no shot at Maggette in free agency.

T Park
07-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Yeah I'd rather focus efforts on Kelenna and JR Smith

Spurtacus
07-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Yeah I'd rather focus efforts on Kelenna and JR Smith

and Pietrus

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2008, 12:22 AM
that be a good deal for the clippers if they can work it out resignin brand, and tryin to land baron....and maggete doesnt bolt, we could see them back in the playoffs

T Park
07-01-2008, 12:26 AM
and Pietrus

Eh, if no one is left, I GUESS.

Brutalis
07-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Fuck Pietrus. Damn homers.

Spurtacus
07-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Eh, if no one is left, I GUESS.

If we can't get JR or KA, then he's the guy we should target. I'd rather have a young, athletic player over a veteran like Finley.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2008, 12:31 AM
If we can't get JR or KA, then he's the guy we should target. I'd rather have a young, athletic player over a veteran like Finley.

If we whiff on all those guys, Roger Mason should be our guy.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Hmmm, it actually sounds like Davis may not be re-signing with GS, if you read between the lines...

http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/ci_9749140

thekingrobert
07-01-2008, 01:31 AM
why not Poesy instead of Pietrus

Obstructed_View
07-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Wasn't Detroit interested in Davis?

urunobili
07-01-2008, 07:19 AM

yeah both are filmmakers and would make some projects together...

urunobili
07-01-2008, 07:19 AM
why not Posey instead of Pietrus:tu

1Parker1
07-01-2008, 07:41 AM
I doubt the Celtics are going to let Posey walk.

Oh and I believe I heard on the local sports radio station here in Philly that Brand and the Clips are close to a new contract agreement. Sixers were trying to acquire him, but it looks like Brand is staying in ClipperLand.

Sherlock Holmes
07-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Baron Davis is not opting out to sign for less with the Warriors.................THAT'S THE LAST THING HE WOULD DO. If anybody knows Davis he has known to be a malcontent, as NO fans.

Ever since the end of the season Baron Davis has been in conflict with the coaching staff and the FO about contract negotiations, he is looking for a max contract, him opting out is merely a 'fuck you' to GS FO saying pay me the max or I am walking.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/warriors
If you search their archives about stories on Baron it shows a very conflicted message. If the Warriors end up giving Davis the kind of money he wants, it will be much easier to take Azubuike/Barnes. If he walks then that is another story.

Mark in Austin
07-01-2008, 09:09 AM
hmmm... If GS is on the hook for 150% of Davis' salary, maybe the thing to do is sign KA now. Force GS's hand. Either they resign Davis or let him walk, plus it forces GS to deal with KA before their higher-priority free agents. Seems like that maximizes the odds they don't match.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 09:39 AM
hmmm... If GS is on the hook for 150% of Davis' salary, maybe the thing to do is sign KA now. Force GS's hand. Either they resign Davis or let him walk, plus it forces GS to deal with KA before their higher-priority free agents. Seems like that maximizes the odds they don't match.

I believe the period for the Warriors to decide whether or not to match would begin on the first day that free agents can sign (July 9th).

lotr1trekkie
07-01-2008, 09:59 AM
17.4 and he wants a bigger deal. Isn't Davis like one more knee breakdown from retirement. Sounds to me he just doesn't want to play for Nellie. NY & NJ are loading up for the LeBron sweepstakes so I can't see them giving Davis Megabucks-- Unless GS takes starbury off their hands and dump him next year.

Spurs Brazil
07-01-2008, 10:00 AM
That's good. now we have a chance to get Maggette

Spurs Brazil
07-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Clippers Talking To Baron, Deal Could Be Reached Wednesday

Jul 01, 2008 6:00 PM EST
The Clippers have been speaking with Baron Davis for much of Tuesday afternoon hoping to lock up the free-agent point guard to a multiyear deal, according to a team source.

Davis chose free agency and the Clippers, who would have about $10 million in salary space if they renounce their rights to free-agent Corey Maggette, began targeting Davis today, according to the team source.

The team could also find more cap space if they resign Elton Brand to a lesser annual price than the $16.4 million he was owed next season before he also opted for free agency Monday.

A deal could be reached by Wednesday, according to the source.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53326/20080701/clippers_talking_to_baron_deal_could_be_reached_we dnesday/

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2008, 07:35 PM
GS needs a point guard too, unless they're planning on sliding Ellis over to that spot (assuming Baron leaves...).

Hmm, Hill for a S&T Kelenna? :hat

T Park
07-01-2008, 07:43 PM
then you have no pg.

That wouldn't accomplish alot.

timvp
07-01-2008, 07:45 PM
GS needs a point guard too, unless they're planning on sliding Ellis over to that spot (assuming Baron leaves...).

Hmm, Hill for a S&T Kelenna? :hatNelson has already said he plans to move Ellis over to point.

ShoogarBear
07-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Nellie is blowing a golden opportunity:

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Nelson has already said he plans to move Ellis over to point.

Yeah, saw that. Think this closes the door on Barnes and Azubuike in free agency (my guess is Nellie lets Pietrus walk).

T Park
07-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Nellie said that Barnes is NOT coming back.

Said that in the introductory news conference for the draft picks.

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2008, 11:01 AM
it is rumored elton brand gettin 13.5m per year in a multi year contract

wisnub
07-02-2008, 02:55 PM

Fuck Yeah!!