PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of getting Maggette?

peskypesky
06-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Is it at all possible?

Spur-Addict
No.

exstatic
No.

Jlowd21
06-30-2008, 10:48 PM
i doubt it...

but im crossing my fingers!

rj215
06-30-2008, 10:49 PM
No, He'll end up back in Orlando where he started his career.

peskypesky
06-30-2008, 10:49 PM
for those of you who said "no", can you explain why?

Bartleby
06-30-2008, 10:50 PM
$$$

thekingrobert
06-30-2008, 10:50 PM
he's a selfish player on the ccourt how do you think he is with his money at stake and truthfully i wouldnt blame him

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Well, if he doesn't find a S&T the $$$ will be the same as the max the Spurs can offer.

SPURSGOAT
06-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Cash rules everything around me... C.R.E.A.M.

Big P
I know he has ties to Orlando, but if he is willing to take an MLE deal from them, at least we can offer it to him as well & try to convince him about playing with Duncan, the Championships..blah ..blah..etc

peskypesky
Well, if he doesn't find a S&T the $$$ will be the same as the max the Spurs can offer.

do we know how much the Spurs can offer? especially if finley, horry and others (barry) leave?

coopdogg3
06-30-2008, 10:57 PM

Yeah, there aren't a lot of teams out there with salary cap room. He's probably looking at an MLE offer. But a S&T is a real possibility, and I have to believe there are other teams out there with more to offer than the Spurs can. The Spur's Pu Pu Platter probably won't work.

Unless the Clips are just enamored with Bonner, of course, then the Spurs stand a chance.

peskypesky
I know he has ties to Orlando, but if he is willing to take an MLE deal from them, at least we can offer it to him as well & try to convince him about playing with Duncan, the Championships..blah ..blah..etc

yeah, it seems like sooner or later there's going to be a guy who actually wants to win a Championship to go along with his pile of money. could maggette be the one?

Big P
We can offer him a MLE deal(about $40 mil over 5 years) the same as anyone else that is over the cap, which is most of the teams,..Philly & Memphis are the only teams with cash to offer a contract bigger than the MLE.

coopdogg3
06-30-2008, 10:59 PM
do we know how much the Spurs can offer? especially if finley, horry and others (barry) leave?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

Spurs are at $57 million counting Barry and Vaughn. Even if they both opt out, with the salary cap expecting to be at $59 million, the most the Spurs can offer is the MLE.

peskypesky
06-30-2008, 11:04 PM
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

Spurs are at $57 million counting Barry and Vaughn. Even if they both opt out, with the salary cap expecting to be at $59 million, the most the Spurs can offer is the MLE.

cool. thanks for the explanation. :toast

Spurtacus
06-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Not going to happen.

SenorSpur
06-30-2008, 11:53 PM
I highly doubt it.

Word is that he's hoping to get back to Orlando.

wisnub
07-01-2008, 12:19 AM
all you guys are pessimistic. I know Corey will demand lots of money. Looking from Spurs history i'm also pessimistic about this, but how come Denver (a small market town team) is willing to go above salary cap with only six player?? We should be willing to pay a lot more for good player, remember Scola case? We said his contracts is TOO HIGH0 to buyout, but Rockets BOUGHT IT JUST LIKE IT WAS NOTHING (dont forget they got superstar contracts like TMAC and Yao, even Battier is paid good there). Well, I'm only dreaming i guess we just keep hoping for average player from free agent and pray our picks to blossom into superstars eventually.... (sometimes I'm sad that Lakers altough way over cap talking crap about signing BD and stuff just because they are in large market, and all we want to eye on is Azubuike,and we even not sure about that. Thats sad).

MAKE MIRACLE HAPPENS IN FREE AGENCY FOR ONCE!!!! :flag:

coopdogg3
07-01-2008, 12:24 AM
all you guys are pessimistic. I know Corey will demand lots of money. Looking from Spurs history i'm also pessimistic about this, but how come Denver (a small market town team) is willing to go above salary cap with only six player?? We should be willing to pay a lot more for good player, remember Scola case? We said his contracts is TOO HIGH0 to buyout, but Rockets BOUGHT IT JUST LIKE IT WAS NOTHING (dont forget they got superstar contracts like TMAC and Yao, even Battier is paid good there). Well, I'm only dreaming i guess we just keep hoping for average player from free agent and pray our picks to blossom into superstars eventually.... (sometimes I'm sad that Lakers altough way over cap talking crap about signing BD and stuff just because they are in large market, and all we want to eye on is Azubuike,and we even not sure about that. Thats sad).

Nuggets and Rockets didn't make it past the 1st round. Probably won't for a while.

I would gladly pay the luxury tax, and I'm sure the Spurs would too, if they could acquire someone like Pau Gasol.

If you put all your money into 6 players (like the Nuggets) that limits who you can spend money on. Phoenix uses the same strategy. Phoenix sells 1st round draft picks like they're candy. Nuggets are strapped into salary cap hell and might not match J.R. Smith. You need flexibility.

The point of spending money is to make your team better. I'm not sure many of the FAs being bandied about will actually do that. Guess we'll see.

SenorSpur

Pessimism has nothing to do with it. It's called being realistic. Maggette has openly admitted today that he WANTS Orlando to make him a fair offer and he's ready to go. Obviously nothing is a done deal until there is a signed contract, but any reasonable person would guess the Spurs chances would be slim, based on that.

wisnub
Let KT,Finley,Damon go (we got Mahinmi and Hill)....sign Horry for minimum. That give room to operate in terms of cap space...over MLE and LLE for good player...Corey average lots of points just check his stats, if you guys think he's sucks for whatever reason i dunno then we better come up with someone better. Celtics and Lakers are not getting softer.....

coopdogg3
07-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Letting KT and Finley go would not really give us any more cap space. We would still just have the MLE and LLE to work with. Though it would give us some roster spots to work with. Maggette's basketball skills are not really being called into question. He has stated that he wants to go to Orlando. And they could seriously use him. So it's possible, but highly unlikely, that he would sign with the Spurs.

loveforthegame
07-01-2008, 12:33 AM
No. It's not just about money but the number of years. I don't see the Spurs offering more than 2-3 year deals.

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2008, 12:36 AM
isnt orlando nearly the luxury anyway? since they have to extend howard at some point and offering maggete MLE...