PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: For Spurs, Free Agency Begins At Home

duncan228
06-30-2008, 11:25 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070108.spursfreeagents.en.f748476.html

NBA: For Spurs, free agency begins at home
By Jeff McDonald

The annual NBA summertime shopping spree, otherwise known as the free-agency period, begins today.

General managers everywhere are ready to rev up their cell phones. The first calls the Spurs make are likely to be to a familiar set of numbers.

Kurt Thomas, Michael Finley and, yes, even 37-year-old reluctant retiree Robert Horry — all unrestricted free agents with varying degrees of value — are expected to talk with the Spurs about the prospect of rejoining the team next season.

If the price is right.

“The question is, can we find something both sides can live with?” said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, also the team’s vice president of basketball operations. “In the end, it comes down to years and money.”

The Spurs, who quite possibly were a Manu Ginobili jammed ankle away from playing for another NBA title last season, plan to approach this offseason like an aging Hollywood starlet seeking one last leading role: They are in for just a nip here and a tuck there, not a full-fledged facelift.

Popovich realizes re-signing players in their mid-30s won’t go very far toward making the league’s oldest team in the league appear much younger. He just doesn’t care.

“The ‘getting younger’ thing is overblown,” Popovich said. “If we knew Manu would stay healthy, Timmy (Duncan) would stay healthy and Tony (Parker) would stay healthy, we’d bring back the same doggone team. And if any of those guys are not healthy, we’re not going to win a championship anyway.”

As free agency dawns, the Spurs have 10 players under contract with at least one more — first-round draft pick George Hill — on the way. Shopping for the remaining roster pieces will begin — but perhaps not end — locally.

The 35-year-old Thomas, a gritty forward who joined the team in a February trade, was a key postseason contributor for the Spurs. They might not have been able to handle the Shaquille O’Neal-infused Phoenix Suns without him.

Re-signing Thomas became an even greater offseason priority for the Spurs when Tiago Splitter, last year’s first-round draft choice, re-upped with his Spanish League club in early June.

“Whether Splitter was coming or not, Kurt Thomas was a guy we wanted to re-sign,” Popovich said.

Finley is another 35-year-old the Spurs harbor interest in retaining. The veteran guard endured an inconsistent 2007-08 campaign, but the Spurs value his leadership and would be open to bringing him back.

Refusing to slip easily into retirement, Horry has stressed his desire to return for a 17th season, in part because he was either inactive or ineffective for much of his 16th.

Horry, who made $3.6 million last season, would prefer to remain with the Spurs. He has suggested that he would be willing to take a pay cut — perhaps down to the veteran minimum of $1.26 million — to make it happen.

For their part, the Spurs would like to limit transactions that would cut too heavily into the cap space available for the summer of 2010, which should be a windfall year for high-yield free agents.

That is one reason the Spurs might choose to sign one or both of this year’s second-round draft picks, Malik Hairston and James Gist. Their contracts would be manageable, in terms of years and money.

The Spurs also could turn to the 2001 draft for help: They could opt to bring in 6-foot-11 Lithuanian forward Robertas Javtokas, their second-round pick seven years ago, although it would require buying out his contract in Russia.

That’s not to say the Spurs won’t wade into deeper free agent waters this summer. They have a mid-level exception worth about $5.8 million to spend and will probably use it to address their post-draft needs — another scorer on the wing or some depth in the frontcourt.

Denver guard J.R. Smith, who has piqued the Spurs’ interest in the past, is one such player likely to be available. He is a restricted free agent, but it is unlikely the Nuggets — who already are well over the luxury tax threshold — will be tempted to match a competing offer for him.

Among the unrestricted free agents who might be of interest to the Spurs are Golden State guard Mickael Pietrus, Portland swingman James Jones, Boston guard James Posey and L.A. Clippers guard Quinton Ross.

Carlos Delfino, a restricted free agent who appears to be on the way out in Toronto, is another potential target. The Spurs have expressed interest in Delfino before, though it has been surmised that he could probably command more money in Europe this summer.

Getting younger isn’t necessarily the Spurs’ priority this offseason. But it is likely to be an inevitability.

“We’re older than dirt,” Popovich said. “Anybody we add is probably going to make us younger.”

Spurs free agents
Here is a look at the five Spurs players who officially became unrestricted free agents at 11 p.m. Monday.

Kurt Thomas, forward
2007-08 stats: Averaged 4.5 points and 4.9 rebounds in 35 games after arriving via trade from Seattle.
2007-08 salary: $8.1 million
Prognosis: Proved his worth in playoffs, especially in first-round series against Shaquille O’Neal and Suns. With Tiago Splitter opting to stay in Spain, resigning Thomas tops offseason to-do list for Spurs.

Michael Finley, guard
2007-08 stats: Averaged 10.1 points and shot 41.4 percent from the field – both mild improvements over season before.
2007-08 salary: $18.6 million
Prognosis: Suffered through inconsistent stretches last season, but Spurs still value his leadership and veteran head. Spurs will consider re-signing him, if the price is right.

Robert Horry, forward
2007-08 stats: Injury plagued for most of the year, set career lows in points (2.5 per game), minutes (12.9 per game) and games played (45).
2007-08 salary: $3.6 million
Prognosis: Has apparently decided he’s not ready to hang up his legendary shoes just yet, but market for him is limited. Spurs might opt to take him back, if he will take a pay cut.

Damon Stoudamire, guard
2007-08 stats: Played in 31 games after receiving buyout from Grizzlies and averaged 3.4 points.
2007-08 salary: $4.3 million
Prognosis: Spurs’ selection of backup point guard George Hill in the draft more or less makes Stoudamire expendable. He should have his résumé together by now.

DerMarr Johnson, guard
2007-08 stats: Played in five games with Spurs, averaging 3.7 points.
2007-08 salary: $42,203
Prognosis: Wasn’t going to return to Spurs before DUI arrest last month, though that certainly didn’t help.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 11:27 PM
ROFL. McDonald doesn't have Barry as a FA. Then again, maybe he isn't and Stat Geek is tampering with a Spurs player.

whottt
06-30-2008, 11:31 PM
L.A. Clippers guard Quinton Ross.

You gotta be f'n kidding me.

objective
06-30-2008, 11:31 PM
“The ‘getting younger’ thing is overblown,” Popovich said. “If we knew Manu would stay healthy, Timmy (Duncan) would stay healthy and Tony (Parker) would stay healthy, we’d bring back the same doggone team. And if any of those guys are not healthy, we’re not going to win a championship anyway.”

lol

exhibit A on why the Spurs might not make much of a push for anyone like JR Smith or maybe even Pietrus.

Juan Dixon here we come!

whottt
06-30-2008, 11:32 PM
ROFL. McDonald doesn't have Barry as a FA. Then again, maybe he isn't and Stat Geek is tampering with a Spurs player.

Maybe the Spurs don't want to bring Barry back...maybe they only want to keep he or Finley and Finley is the one they want to keep.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Here is a look at the five Spurs players who officially became unrestricted free agents at 11 p.m. Monday.

Maybe McDonald truly doesn't know what's going on...or he has a nice subject for his next article.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Kurt Thomas, Michael Finley and, yes, even 37-year-old reluctant retiree Robert Horry — all unrestricted free agents with varying degrees of value — are expected to talk with the Spurs about the prospect of rejoining the team next season.

Idiots.

VaSpursFan
06-30-2008, 11:40 PM
the spurs need to win now...saving cap space for 2010 is fools gold. when is the last time we have had a top tier free agent to sign with us.

texbound
06-30-2008, 11:41 PM

Tpark, Timmy, Manu, Bonner, Ian, Vaughn, Barry, Ime, Bowen, Oberto. That's 10!!!!! George Hill makes 11.

The article states the Spurs have 10 players under contract. So, this article suggests that Barry and Vaughn didn't opt out. Of course McDonald may not have all the facts

T Park
06-30-2008, 11:42 PM

Yeah all we have to go on is a report, but, who knows at this point.

SPURSGOAT
06-30-2008, 11:44 PM
“We’re older than dirt,” Popovich said. “Anybody we add is probably going to make us younger.”

:lmao damn Pop really cracks me up sometimes...

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 11:44 PM
lol

exhibit A on why the Spurs might not make much of a push for anyone like JR Smith or maybe even Pietrus.

Juan Dixon here we come!

Regardless of what the team actually is planning on doing, Pop would be plum happy if the rest of the league just expected the Spurs to stand pat.

No reason to get upset over any quotes made less than an hour after FA begins. If we're sitting here in September and the roster is what is, then feel free to panic.

SenorSpur
06-30-2008, 11:46 PM
MEMO TO POP:

Good God, Pop. What were you watching during the Fakers series? Your team got repeatedly outhustled, outrun and outquicked. Why not infuse some quickness, youth and bench depth at some spots?

Or are you that stubborn to the point that you'll delibarately stand pat and resign some of the FA vets? Even though it's obvious that their productivity has diminshed? What point are really trying to prove?

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Tpark, Timmy, Manu, Bonner, Ian, Vaughn, Barry, Ime, Bowen, Oberto. That's 10!!!!! George Hill makes 11.

The article states the Spurs have 10 players under contract. So, this article suggests that Barry and Vaughn didn't opt out. Of course McDonald may not have all the facts

Yeah, he could've sent that in at 5pm and is just now reading the forum.

objective
06-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Regardless of what the team actually is planning on doing, Pop would be plum happy if the rest of the league just expected the Spurs to stand pat.

No reason to get upset over any quotes made less than an hour after FA begins. If we're sitting here in September and the roster is what is, then feel free to panic.

No panic, that's I used the phrase "might". All I'm doing is keeping it objective based on the Spurs words and more importantly their past actions.

Besides, why wait until September to make any judgement? Free agency will be wrapped up before the third week of July except for fringe players and camp fodder invitees.

K-State Spur
06-30-2008, 11:58 PM
No panic, that's I used the phrase "might". All I'm doing is keeping it objective based on the Spurs words and more importantly their past actions.

Pop & RC haven't been near as stagnant over the years as people on this board seem to think. And when they have brought back the rosters intact, it was in years where it made sense to do so. This year, it does not, so I don't expect them to stand pat.

T Park
07-01-2008, 12:00 AM
RC has already said they needed to get younger.

Tony Parker said it.

Pop is just blustering at the media with BS.

Read nothing into it.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 12:01 AM
lol

Juan Dixon here we come!

Pop says before the draft that he didn't expect a rookie to come in and make an impact and afterwards he's singing Hill's praises as a member of the rotation.

SenorSpur
07-01-2008, 12:03 AM
RC has already said they needed to get younger.

Tony Parker said it.

Pop is just blustering at the media with BS.

Read nothing into it.

He can be a stubborn ol' cuss at times. I believe he gets off jackin' with and being a smart-ass with the media. In fact, he's perfected that "cold war" attitude and approach. Typical CIA Pop!

spurman20
07-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Every one keeps talking about JR Smith, and M Pieturs.....dont cont on either one. The spurs will go after Mason from washington and Hayes from Detroit ....split the MLE between them and call it an off season!

timvp
07-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Pop saying they are standing pat gives me hope they are going to go all out to bring in a max MLE player.

Got damn McDonald is clueless. The average SpursTalk poster is more in touch with what the Spurs may or may not do than this clown.

K-State Spur
He can be a stubborn ol' cuss at times. I believe he gets off jackin' with and being a smart-ass with the media. In fact, he's perfected that "cold war" attitude and approach. Typical CIA Pop!

Yeah. The fact of the matter is that if the Spurs are going to stand pat - Pop will say that they are going to stand pat. If the Spurs are going to make lots of moves and be very active - Pop will say that they are going to stand pat.

That's how he's going to do it and we should all know this by now.

But there are still always a handful of fans that react to the comments just the same.

T Park

I personally think its hilarious :lol

Especially in the playoffs when the dumbasses ask stupid ass questions

T Park
07-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Pop saying they are standing pat gives me hope they are going to go all out to bring in a max MLE player.

Got damn McDonald is clueless. The average SpursTalk poster is more in touch with what the Spurs may or may not do than this clown.

JR SMITH!!!!!

FTW!!!!

:lol

hopefully

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 12:08 AM
I Miss Ludden.

coopdogg3
07-01-2008, 12:09 AM
I Miss Ludden.

Can we start a petition to bring Ludden back? I don't care how happy he is with Yahoo.

td4mvp21
07-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Pop better be talking out of his ass. Don't tell me age didn't have anything to do with Horry and Finley being no shows in the playoffs. Those guys looked and played old.

T Park
07-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Can we start a petition to bring Ludden back? I don't care how happy he is with Yahoo.

unless you can somehow make print media as popular as internet media, then i think its for naught.

SenorSpur
07-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Pop better be talking out of his ass. Don't tell me age didn't have anything to do with Horry and Finley being no shows in the playoffs. Those guys looked and played old.

No shit. Apparently he didn't see things as we did. Or else he's jacking around.

I'm always amused at the way Pop bristles everytime anyone mentions age. He acts as though it's some "badge of honor" to have the oldest team in the league.

td4mvp21
07-01-2008, 12:15 AM
No shit. Apparently he didn't see things as we did. Or else he's jacking around.

I'm always amused at the way Pop bristles everytime anyone mentions age. He acts as though it's some "badge of honor" to have the oldest team in the league.

Age can be a good thing, experience can be a good thing-when the guys providing it can actually make a difference on the court. Bowen is old but he makes an impact defensively and is a very consistent shooter in the playoffs. The only thing Finley brought was his streaky shooting, and Horry didn't even bring much other than a decent performance in Game 7 vs. New Orleans.

loveforthegame
07-01-2008, 12:16 AM
I can see the Spurs signing one player using the MLE and resigning Thomas, Finley, and Horry.

I can't see the Spurs adding more than 3 young players this summer. Mahinmi, Hill, and MLE player this year with more youth coming next summer.

spurman20
07-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Has anyone heard if we are gonna sign R Javtokas?

objective
07-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Pop & RC haven't been near as stagnant over the years as people on this board seem to think. And when they have brought back the rosters intact, it was in years where it made sense to do so. This year, it does not, so I don't expect them to stand pat.

It's not doom and gloom or panicking on my part.

What are they saying and what are they doing compared to last summer.

Last summer they talked about letting the team defend it's title with no big changes and said that Mahinmi wouldn't get any chances and play in the d-league.

What did they do?

Re-signed nearly the entire previous roster and didn't give Mahinmi any chances on the big stage so he played in the d-league. They did a modest modification of adding Udoka to the mix.

What are they saying now? Talking about how the important thing is the health of Tim, Tony and Manu and NOT any signing. Some are explicitly mentioned by the Spurs as being re-signed (Thomas) and others are written about by McDonald that the Spurs are interested in re-signing considering the cost (Finley and Horry). Sure they'll say the usual about keeping on top of things and being able to make a move if necessary. And the talk of getting younger has already been satisfied with Hill.

What will they do?

I don't know. I know what I hope them to do, I know what lots of other people hope for them to do (JR Smith for some, Diop for some, Najera for some, Azubuike for some, Maggette for some, Pietrus for some, etc)

But it's not so outlandish to think that the Spurs bring back the same roster with minor tweaks (G Hill, a 'Udoka-type' addition of a cheap veteran) unless there's an issue of money and/or years with KT, Finley and Horry.

That's a reasonable and possible outcome of the summer.

Is there anyone on the board who would be straight up SHOCKED and SURPRISED if the Spurs re-signed Horry or Finley? I don't mean disappointed by it, but shocked?

Doesn't mean it's likely, but I sure wouldn't be surprised.

SenorSpur
07-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Age can be a good thing, experience can be a good thing-when the guys providing it can actually make a difference on the court. Bowen is old but he makes an impact defensively and is a very consistent shooter in the playoffs. The only thing Finley brought was his streaky shooting, and Horry didn't even bring much other than a decent performance in Game 7 vs. New Orleans.

Therein lies the difference - productivity (and in Bowen's case, perhaps superior conditioning)

objective
07-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Has anyone heard if we are gonna sign R Javtokas?

my guess would be only as a distant contingency plan if some other team gives Kurt Thomas a contract the Spurs don't want to match and if the other alternatives like Najera are off the board.

SenorSpur
07-01-2008, 12:22 AM

Last summer they talked about letting the team defend it's title with no big changes and said that Mahinmi wouldn't get any chances and play in the d-league.

What did they do?

Re-signed nearly the entire previous roster and didn't give Mahinmi any chances on the big stage so he played in the d-league. They did a modest modification of adding Udoka to the mix.

What are they saying now? Talking about how the important thing is the health of Tim, Tony and Manu and NOT any signing. Some are explicitly mentioned by the Spurs as being re-signed (Thomas) and others are written about by McDonald that the Spurs are interested in re-signing considering the cost (Finley and Horry). Sure they'll say the usual about keeping on top of things and being able to make a move if necessary. And the talk of getting younger has already been satisfied with Hill.

What will they do?

I don't know. I know what I hope them to do, I know what lots of other people hope for them to do (JR Smith for some, Diop for some, Najera for some, Azubuike for some, Maggette for some, Pietrus for some, etc)

But it's not so outlandish to think that the Spurs bring back the same roster with minor tweaks (G Hill, a 'Udoka-type' addition of a cheap veteran) unless there's an issue of money and/or years with KT, Finley and Horry.

Is there anyone on the board who would be straight up SHOCKED and SURPRISED if the Spurs re-signed Horry or Finley? I don't mean disappointed by it, but shocked?

I wouldn't be surprised if he resigned either. I've just seen enough of both these guys where it's obvious that their respective tenures have run their course. Time to move on in another direction. Especially if the Pop wants to upgrade the bench depth.

spurman20
07-01-2008, 12:25 AM
We will only bring Finley back if no one else wanted to run with us. He is worthless... he cant get to the rim, his shot is so streaky......Horry is done! If we bring him back for more than a couple pcs of gum Pop and Buford should be fired! I have a good feeling we will resign Thomas and possibly sign Robertas Javtokas from Russia.

T Park
07-01-2008, 12:25 AM
I would be suprised if The Spurs didn't sign someone with the MLE.

Like I said, RC Parker and others have already addressed they know they need to get younger.

SenorSpur
07-01-2008, 12:28 AM

Like I said, RC Parker and others have already addressed they know they need to get younger.

BTW, any link to PArker's comments or can you summarize what he said?

objective
07-01-2008, 12:28 AM

Would you be surprised if the Spurs re-signed Thomas, re-signed Finley, let Horry go, and signed a cheap vet like Mo Evans to a 2 year, 4 million dollar deal? And signed Gist while sending Hairston to Europe?

Getting younger can be satisfied simply by playing Hill and Mahinmi some minutes.

loveforthegame
07-01-2008, 12:31 AM
BTW, any link to PArker's comments or can you summarize what he said?

I don't mean to speak for TPark but this is the interview I was using where Parker talks about only adding 2 or 3 players because Pop likes stability. Parker also talks about the need to get younger. Hope this helps.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99529&highlight=tony+parker+interview

timvp
07-01-2008, 12:33 AM
I'd be pretty surprised if Finley is re-signed. Only way I think it'd make any sense at all is if Barry walks and the Spurs want an old veteran to put deep on the bench in case something happens. Pop seemed to trust Finley less and less last year, which usually ends in that player being let go.

Horry I can see either way. I'd say there is a larger chance he doesn't return.

If the Spurs don't spend their entire MLE, I'd be pretty pissed. The Spurs aren't even in lux tax danger, so there really is no excuse. If they offer it to a number of players and they get turned down ... I guess that is understandable. But if they sit on it and bring in a few bargain basement replacements, that'd be a disaster.

SenorSpur
07-01-2008, 12:35 AM
I don't mean to speak for TPark but this is the interview I was using where Parker talks about only adding 2 or 3 players because Pop likes stability. Parker also talks about the need to get younger. Hope this helps.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99529&highlight=tony+parker+interview

thks

SenorSpur
07-01-2008, 12:37 AM
I'd be pretty surprised if Finley is re-signed. Only way I think it'd make any sense at all is if Barry walks and the Spurs want an old veteran to put deep on the bench in case something happens. Pop seemed to trust Finley less and less last year, which usually ends in that player being let go.

If the Spurs don't spend their entire MLE, I'd be pretty pissed. The Spurs aren't even in lux tax danger, so there really is no excuse. If they offer it to a number of players and they get turned down ... I guess that is understandable. But if they sit on it and bring in a few bargain basement replacements, that'd be a disaster.

Good thing the Spurs drafted a couple of wing players. Now they need to find that new veteran swingman starter in free agency.

K-State Spur
07-01-2008, 12:38 AM

What did they do?

What will they do?

I could see situations where we'd bring back anybody on the roster...but not everybody. I fully expect at least 3-4 new faces to be in uniform compared to opening day last year, and I'm not counting Ian.

objective

I don't disagree about spending the whole MLE or that bringing in guys like Evans or Dixon would be a disaster.

I'm just saying it's a realistic scenario this summer and the reasons it could happen have been laid out by the Spurs to brace the public (ie "all that matters is being healthy, no health = no ring no matter what, new hotshot players aren't that important")

Marcus Bryant

Yeah. They should identify whoever they think is worth it and be willing to offer the max MLE contract past 2 years. I may be off, but I think they could extend Ginobili off his 2009-10 salary (let's say $10 mil) plus have a full MLE contract from this summer and still be able to offer a contract starting at about $10 to 12 mil in 2010.

objective
07-01-2008, 12:42 AM
I could see situations where we'd bring back anybody on the roster...but not everybody. I fully expect at least 3-4 new faces to be in uniform compared to opening day last year, and I'm not counting Ian.

do you mean 'in uniform' as in on the active roster opening day? I don't even know how that would be possible if Barry is still under contract.

TD, Manu, TP, Bowen, Oberto, Bonner, Udoka, Barry . . . that's 8.

A re-signed Kurt Thomas is 9.

Mahinmi makes 10.

That leaves room for 2 new faces, George Hill and ??? (free agent or Gist or Hairston).

Having 4 new players in uniform seems awfully hard to accomplish. They'd basically have to drop Finley, Horry, Thomas and Barry.

bigdog
07-01-2008, 12:54 AM
let's put all 15 spots in the equation (active, inactive, whatever).

right now, the spurs have 8 guys under contract(including Mahinmi, and assuming Barry has opted out).

Bring in Hill, make that 9. Resign either Barry or Finley(I think they will choose on one of them, just because I think they want at least 1 of the vets back), that makes 10.

Resign Thomas, make that 11. (unless some other team offers more than Spurs can handle.

Pop and RC like Hairston's chance at making the team, make it 12(remember, inactive/Toros counts, too.)

Spend MLE on a swingman(Smith, Pietrus, Maggette), or split it between a couple of guys(Mason,Hayes,Evans,Jones). that makes it 13, or 14 if we split the MLE.

Then they could possibly bring in Javtokas for the LLE, make that 14, or 15 if we split the MLE between two guys.

after that, if we still have a spot, then fill out the roster possibly with Gist, just to earn some experience with the Toros.

If that happens, I think we can call it an offseason and head to training camp

picnroll
07-01-2008, 02:18 AM
I don't think I could watch another season of geriatric basketball wearing out Parker and Ginobili.

rj215
07-01-2008, 02:42 AM
All this talk about age not mattering if Timmy, TP and Manu were healthy is great BUT it seems like Pop is setting up the organization for success only up til he decides to call it quites in 2012.

I mean wat young players aside from TP do we have to build around? Ian isn't a sure thing or even close to it yet. We better try our damnest to sign Bosh or some other big man with all that magical salary cap space in 2012. This offseason I say go after Magette, Azabuke, JR Smith or even Artest if he opts out.

bigdog
07-01-2008, 03:21 AM
All this talk about age not mattering if Timmy, TP and Manu were healthy is great BUT it seems like Pop is setting up the organization for success only up til he decides to call it quites in 2012.

I mean wat young players aside from TP do we have to build around? Ian isn't a sure thing or even close to it yet. We better try our damnest to sign Bosh or some other big man with all that magical salary cap space in 2012. This offseason I say go after Magette, Azabuke, JR Smith or even Artest if he opts out.

It's 2010. That's the year when the free agency market is supposed to be loaded, and when the Spurs should have enough money to spend a maz contract on someone.

Bruno
07-01-2008, 03:34 AM
The question is, can we find something both sides can live with? In the end, it comes down to years and money.

I find it interesting that Pop mention years. Does Kurt Thomas want more than a two years contract which will screw the 2010 plan ?
Ford mentioned a three years contract for Thomas.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=FreeAgents-080629

Thomas could have also signed an extension with Spurs before July (like Jamison did). I doubt Spurs haven't made him a proposition after Splitter fucked Spurs. he obviously turned it down. Thomas coming back in SA is far from being a sure thing.

whottt
07-01-2008, 04:17 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why in the hell the Thomas signing is viewed as a necessity...the Suns are done. Nash does not have it anymore...and concerning the value of Thomas, neither does Shaq.

Bruno
07-01-2008, 04:34 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why in the hell the Thomas signing is viewed as a necessity...the Suns are done. Nash does not have it anymore...and concerning the value of Thomas, neither does Shaq.

I'm not a big fan of Thomas. I just don't see who else Spurs could sign as bigman without using the MLE. Are you fine with Oberto, Bonner, Mahinmi and Horry as Duncan supporting cast ?

Mr. Body
07-01-2008, 06:00 AM

What did they do?

What will they do?

This is what I see, too. I see the Spurs following the same template they have for a while: standing pat, slight tweaking. Finley and Horry returning are more likely than not.

waly.mg
07-01-2008, 07:01 AM
This year, if they want, the Spurs can make a run in the Free Agent Market

The Spurs have the MLE and LLE + too many money if they Make a Sign and Trade

8 Millions with Thomas, 4 millions with D Stou, 3,5 millions with Horry and a couple of millions in Finley

So we can, but very probably we are not going to:

Thomas, Horry and Finley for Elton Brand

But this thing can means Luxury Tax

mrspurs
07-01-2008, 07:05 AM
cant believe im saying this but keep kurt(he' old and short,but maybe with a whole season) and either trade a combo trade with the rest of our players or dump them at calveras lake.........

timvp
07-01-2008, 07:09 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why in the hell the Thomas signing is viewed as a necessity...the Suns are done. Nash does not have it anymore...and concerning the value of Thomas, neither does Shaq.Gotta keep Kurt ... if for no other reason than trade bait. If you don't re-sign him, there will likely be wasted dead money between the salary cap and the lux tax threshold.

Two-year contract worth between $8M and $12M makes a lot of sense for both sides. If some team wants to throw a three-year, $16M contract at him ... then yeah you probably gotta let him walk. But another team would have to be pretty damn dumb to give him that contract.

remingtonbo2001
07-01-2008, 07:48 AM
I have a feeling Finley is coming back for the minimum.

Same with Horry.

urunobili
07-01-2008, 07:52 AM

Same with Horry.

my feeling is that Fin is staying with the spurs... as an assistant coach though...

1Parker1
07-01-2008, 07:54 AM
If the Spurs bring back Michael Finley next year, I may not be able to watch them :pctoss

And I sincerely hope that this article, Pop was just being CIA. Obviously having a healthy Manu Ginobili would have made a huge difference in the WCF against the Lakers. But I honestly don't understand that mentality. Even without Ginobili, the Spurs still had arguably the 2nd the 3rd best players on the court in Parker and Duncan. That should have been more than enough to beat this Lakers team. Instead, we saw a Duncan and Parker which were gassed from the tough first two rounds of the playoffs. This team looked more and more like a 3 man team (with Bowen's defense as usual of course) then they've ever looked in previous seasons. Spurs essentially got nothing out of their bench, if you don't count Ginobili. Bonner, Vaughn, Finley, Horry, Udoka were rendered useless for most of the postseason games. That the Spurs even made it that far in the postseason is a testament of Pop's excellent coaching and how great the Big 3 and Bowen are.

Pop better not be thinking his usual "If we win, we are experienced, if we lose we are older than dirt" mentality anymore. It may have worked in 07, but this year, the Spurs officially went over that line of being a veteran team and just being an old team. I'm not saying they need to completely revamp their rosters, but bringing back guys like Finley/Horry/Vaughn etc next season would just be d*mb.

Mr. Body
07-01-2008, 07:54 AM

Same with Horry.

Yep.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-01-2008, 08:12 AM
I love them both, but I really wish Mike and Rob would just go gracefully into retirement. Both showed at times last season that they can't keep up with the increasingly frenetic league any more, and their roster spots should go to young up-and-comers who are potentially the future of the franchise. Holding onto those guys for another year will just delay the need to get younger, quicker and more athletic. Time to be bold, not rely on old horses.

PS I think many of you under-rate Kurt Thomas, and he will show you how valuable he is next year. The guy is a workhorse and a lunch-pail trench warrior.

kobyz
07-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Re sign Finley for the veteran minimum for one year!!
Re-sign Horry for the veteran minimum for one year!!
Re-sign Kurt Thomas for no more than two years and no more than 4 milion per year!!

waly.mg
07-01-2008, 08:33 AM
I only saw a Little mistake

Last year the team remains the same and not improved, many people sayed was because the Spurs won with this team, and the same team can do it again

Every team, specially Celtics and Lakers improved, and both played the Finals

So, we must to improve this year

And dont talk to me about things like:

Save Money, Under the Luxury Tax, Cash Considerations, trade a player to remain under the Luxury Tax, trade a player for a Draft Pick

I want a better team, this is the NBA not Wall Street, NBA is Sport and Wall Street is Business

polandprzem
07-01-2008, 08:38 AM
If the Spurs bring back Michael Finley next year, I may not be able to watch them :pctoss

And I sincerely hope that this article, Pop was just being CIA. Obviously having a healthy Manu Ginobili would have made a huge difference in the WCF against the Lakers. But I honestly don't understand that mentality. Even without Ginobili, the Spurs still had arguably the 2nd the 3rd best players on the court in Parker and Duncan. That should have been more than enough to beat this Lakers team. Instead, we saw a Duncan and Parker which were gassed from the tough first two rounds of the playoffs. This team looked more and more like a 3 man team (with Bowen's defense as usual of course) then they've ever looked in previous seasons. Spurs essentially got nothing out of their bench, if you don't count Ginobili. Bonner, Vaughn, Finley, Horry, Udoka were rendered useless for most of the postseason games. That the Spurs even made it that far in the postseason is a testament of Pop's excellent coaching and how great the Big 3 and Bowen are.

Pop better not be thinking his usual "If we win, we are experienced, if we lose we are older than dirt" mentality anymore. It may have worked in 07, but this year, the Spurs officially went over that line of being a veteran team and just being an old team. I'm not saying they need to completely revamp their rosters, but bringing back guys like Finley/Horry/Vaughn etc next season would just be d*mb.

The question is who to replace them with?
And how much money do the spurs need to do good moves. I think they know what moves they want to do but there are possibilieties which are not depending only on them

Spurs Brazil
07-01-2008, 08:38 AM
This article sucks

I miss Ludden

Das Texan
07-01-2008, 08:44 AM
McDonald seems to get worse the longer he is here.

Ludden should be forced to write a Spurs article every week, just so we can have something good to read.

wildbill2u
07-01-2008, 08:46 AM

Another case of San Antonio being outbid by a 'foreign' employer.

Are the various comments about Ludden the first of the wails about "why doesn't the traitor stay to cover a championship team instead of going for the money?"

wildbill2u
07-01-2008, 08:52 AM

Yeah, but how often have this team at the Spurs FO made blockbuster moves that cost big money? Damn, I'd like to see some bold move(s) but I won't be shocked if they just trim a little around the edges.

baseline bum
07-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Fuck the 2010 plan. No one is going to come to San Antonio when Brooklyn is going to have two max slots open.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2008, 02:00 PM
And dont talk to me about things like:

Save Money, Under the Luxury Tax, Cash Considerations, trade a player to remain under the Luxury Tax, trade a player for a Draft PickWhy not? These things are very real considerations.

I want a better team, this is the NBA not Wall Street, NBA is Sport and Wall Street is BusinessYou couldn't be more wrong.

T Park
07-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Yeah, but how often have this team at the Spurs FO made blockbuster moves that cost big money? Damn, I'd like to see some bold move(s) but I won't be shocked if they just trim a little around the edges.

Yeah cause Bold moves win championships.

timvp
07-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah, but how often have this team at the Spurs FO made blockbuster moves that cost big money? Damn, I'd like to see some bold move(s) but I won't be shocked if they just trim a little around the edges.The Spurs haven't had this much wiggle room under the lux tax threshold since the summer of 2004.

1Parker1
07-01-2008, 02:40 PM
The Spurs haven't had this much wiggle room under the lux tax threshold since the summer of 2004.

You mean when they were able to lure a Top 3 MVP candidate and HOF PG at the time...? :angel :lol

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Not surprising. (http://news.google.com/news?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&tab=wn&hl=en&q=jeff+mcdonald+mysa&btnG=Search+News)

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Fuck the 2010 plan. No one is going to come to San Antonio when Brooklyn is going to have two max slots open.

Brooklyn? They aren't going to be in Brooklyn by 2010.

Dglue
07-01-2008, 03:50 PM
I would like them to get rid of both Horry and Finley (in case he wants to make more money than the veteran minimum, which I think he wants). Resign Thomas for grooming Mahinmi. I would like to see Matt Barnes on our squad (I thought he was a free agent and if even Ross is named, I think Barnes deserves some consideration also). Or maybe a sign and trade of Finley and Bonner for Haslem or am I too positive with such a deal...

waly.mg
07-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Why not? These things are very real considerations.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Ok, you can say, with this Thinking we won 4 rings

Ok, but if we Trade Duncan is a mistake, and we don´t lose any ring

But i´m not a Peter Holt´s Pocket Fan, if i want business i´m going to Watch Bloomberg, not ESPN or NBA TV

ChumpDumper
07-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Ok, you can say, with this Thinking we won 4 ringsNo, I can say this because that's the way things actually work for every team in the NBA.

Ok, but if we Trade Duncan is a mistake, and we don´t lose any ring?

But i´m not a Peter Holt´s Pocket Fan, if i want business i´m going to Watch Bloomberg, not ESPN or NBA TVYou can bitch about it all you want. It won't change anything. The NBA is about money.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 04:25 PM
?
:lol

T Park
07-01-2008, 04:26 PM
But i´m not a Peter Holt´s Pocket Fan, if i want business i´m going to Watch Bloomberg, not ESPN or NBA TV

afraid to tell you

theres only so much ANYONE can pay.

hell the guy that has a stake in WAL MART owns the Nuggets and even HE doesn't seem willing to go balls deep into the luxury tax.

spurscenter
07-01-2008, 04:26 PM
You gotta be f'n kidding me.

EXACTLY

STAY

THE

FUCK

AWAY

FROM

QUINTON ROSS

he belongs in the NDBL

horrific player. overrated defense. shoots instead of passing.

did i mention, I dont like him?

lol