PDA

View Full Version : Monroe Breaks Down Free Agent Class

duncan228
06-30-2008, 11:36 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070108.nba-freeagents.en.f84baa8.html

NBA: Mike Monroe breaks down free agent class

NBA players with expiring contracts hit the free agent market at 11:01 p.m. last night. Included are some All-Stars, past and present, but this crop of free agents is not considered especially strong. Some of the best available players, including some the Spurs might consider signing, are restricted. That means the teams for which they last played can match offers made by other teams.

Only a few teams have player payrolls far enough under the league’s projected salary cap, expected to be just less than $59 million, to go after the high-profile unrestricted free agents. Most teams, including the Spurs, will be limited to using the annual mid-level cap exception — about $5.85 million — when trying to lure players.

Express-News NBA writer Mike Monroe breaks down this summer’s class:

Top Tier Players

They will be looking for major contracts, payable only by teams that have their rights or teams with cap space.

Gilbert Arenas, Wizards, PG: All-Star who is a big scorer and fan favorite. Opted out of his deal to become unrestricted but swears he wants to re-sign with Wizards, who are willing to give him a 6-year, $100 million deal.

Corey Maggette, Clippers, SG-SF: Athletic wing player who can shoot and score. He’s opting out of deal worth $7 million next season, so don’t look for him to take mid-level from any team, with possible exception of Magic.

Ron Artest, Kings, SG-SF: Will this defensive standout opt out of his deal with Kings at $7.4 mil, or won’t he? Teams for which he wants to play — contenders, of course — are capped and can offer no more than mid-level.

Mid-Level Possibilities

Two teams have cap room to be major players. That means some good free agents will have to sign for all, or part, of mid-level exception.

J.R. Smith, Nuggets, SG-SF: Big-time talent with “knucklehead” reputation. Deep range and best athlete available among mid-level guys. Restricted, but can a team paying millions in luxury taxes afford to match nearly $5-6 million?

Beno Udrih, Kings, PG: Former Spurs and career backup found niche as Kings starter, but does that make him worth a deal that would start around $6 million? He’s a slick passer with a nice shooting stroke but hasn’t shed his reputation for being soft.

James Posey, Celtics, SF: He’s earned two championship rings by being a designated defensive stopper and 3-point shooter. Celtics want him back, but they’re going to be luxury taxpayers. Will they match $5 million or higher?

Ben Gordon, Bulls, SG: Streaky shooter turned down a deal last summer that would have averaged $10.million over five seasons. Bad move. Mid-level exception is best he can hope for now. Bulls probably won’t match.

Josh Childress, Hawks, SG-SF: Outstanding sixth man, with great intangibles who had terrific playoff series against Celtics. Hawks are vulnerable to any team willing to give full mid-level to him.

Make an offer

Most free agents are going to get less than full mid-level offers. There are plenty out there. These are among the best:

Roger Mason, Wizards, SG-SF: Outstanding defender with 3-point range, Spurs showed interest in him in the past. Bargain at league minimum $770K last season, he would be great pickup for bi-annual exception ($1.91 million).

Jannero Pargo, Hornets, PG-SG: A bargain last season at $1.93 million, he proved his worth with gutty Game 7 performance vs. Spurs. Would offer between $3 million and $5 million be enough to convince him to leave New Orleans?

Keyon Dooling, Magic, SG: A regular in the Magic’s playing rotation all season, he’s a scorer with range and a good athlete. Money could be an issue. He made $3.6 million last season and probably doesn’t want to take a pay cut.

James Jones, Trail Blazers, SG-SF: Big-time 3-point shooter (44 percent) with decent size and athleticism. Opted out of final year of contract ($3.1 million), so he will want more but may find it won’t be that much more.

Mickael Pietrus, Warriors, SF: A very good defender with 3-point shooting skill, he fell out of Don Nelson’s good graces late last season. Made $3.47 million last season, so he might have an inflated view of his value.

T Park
06-30-2008, 11:40 PM
J.R. Smith, Nuggets, SG-SF: Big-time talent with “knucklehead” reputation. Deep range and best athlete available among mid-level guys. Restricted, but can a team paying millions in luxury taxes afford to match nearly $5-6 million?

Do it :tu

baseline bum
06-30-2008, 11:42 PM
A+ work, Monroe. Artest and no Baron Davis. Nice way to mail in the article you wrote last week.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2008, 11:50 PM
After filtering this through my CIAPop decoder ring, I notice there is a pretty notable exception out of Golden State (and I'm not talking about Matt Barnes).

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2008, 11:51 PM
A+ work, Monroe. Artest and no Baron Davis. Nice way to mail in the article you wrote last week.

Maybe the Express should just have a link to this forum.

Steve-O-Matic
06-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Lets git some fro in 'Tonio.

http://api.ning.com/files/1uifLWOMLzeVB-wCoY-QkRJ73HDQqM5vqTcEM5PWez4_/Josh_Childress_Wallpaper.jpg

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-01-2008, 12:00 AM
I love your optimism Tpark but JR seriously isn't going anywhere. If he leaves Denver then it won't be because of an MLE offer. It would be because some team with cap space has for some reason gone crazy and offered him more than the MLE :lol

Im torn coz i want him to stay in Denver but i just hope he doesn't revert back to his old ways. If that was the case then id rather he be in San Antonio :lol

SPURSGOAT
07-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Lets git some fro in 'Tonio.

http://api.ning.com/files/1uifLWOMLzeVB-wCoY-QkRJ73HDQqM5vqTcEM5PWez4_/Josh_Childress_Wallpaper.jpg

:lmao :tu

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 12:10 AM
I love your optimism Tpark but JR seriously isn't going anywhere. If he leaves Denver then it won't be because of an MLE offer. It would be because some team with cap space has for some reason gone crazy and offered him more than the MLE :lol

Im torn coz i want him to stay in Denver but i just hope he doesn't revert back to his old ways. If that was the case then id rather he be in San Antonio :lol

You honestly think Denver will match a full MLE offer? Or you think JR has loyalty to Denver and will turn any offer down?

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-01-2008, 12:15 AM
I think Denver will match. JR doesn't have loyalty :lol Unless he doesn't want to leave the 'thuggish' lifestyle with Kmart and Melo :drunk :smokin :lol

T Park
07-01-2008, 12:16 AM
:lol

You read all sorts of reports "Denver won't match"

Yet you keep telling us they will just cause some assistant plays PR man

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-01-2008, 12:22 AM
yeh and reports are always correct :drunk

Being a Spurs fan, you should know better than to believe reports. Pop would be ashamed of you

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Karl doesn't like the guy much. They traded for Seem. Why would the Nuggets match?

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Karl is a jackass :lol Him and JR are on the same page now. GK made a mistake by throwing him under a bus but JR stepped up and GK rewarded him for it with more minutes and playing down the stretch.

Im just assuming Stan will match any MLE offer considering the talk about how he is their 1st priority.

I dont believe garbage in the media. 95% of it is wrong and nothing but speculation.

Das Texan
07-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Maybe the Express should just have a link to this forum.

its better than the morons they have writing for their rag thats for damn sure.

:hat

Supergirl
07-01-2008, 02:12 PM
I so do not want JR Smith. Guys with reputations for being knuckleheads tend not to fare well in Pop's system and in SA.

I'd much rather see the Spurs try and get Ben Gordon or Josh Childress or Roger Mason.

The Truth #6
07-01-2008, 02:36 PM
After filtering this through my CIAPop decoder ring, I notice there is a pretty notable exception out of Golden State (and I'm not talking about Matt Barnes).

Ha, great point. All the local newspapers might as well be working for their teams' FO at this point. It's going to be hard to figure much out.