PDA

View Full Version : Spurs looking to 2010

coopdogg3
07-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Didn't see this posted. Nothing new really.

Looking To 2010
For their part, the Spurs would like to limit transactions that would cut too heavily into the cap space available for the summer of 2010, which should be a windfall year for high-yield free agents.

That is one reason the Spurs might choose to sign one or both of this year's second-round draft picks, Malik Hairston and James Gist. Their contracts would be manageable, in terms of years and money.

The Spurs also could turn to the 2001 draft for help: They could opt to bring in 6-foot-11 Lithuanian forward Robertas Javtokas, their second-round pick seven years ago, although it would require buying out his contract in Russia. -- San Antonio Express-News

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?univLogin02=stateChanged

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2008, 10:30 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100251

SenorSpur
07-01-2008, 10:33 AM
The Spurs had better try winning now. By 2010, Duncan will be entering his 13th season!

BacktoBasics
07-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Never have the Spurs lured a high end FA. I see no point in clearing excessive amounts beyond what would cover the 2nd crop of guys.

wisnub
07-01-2008, 11:19 AM
On 2010 Lebron will sign w/ either Cleveland or NY, Wade will stay where he's king, and so will Bosh...their team will max out their salary and match any offer with lpossible longer contract. And Spurs will get nothing in return. Just like Scola and Splitter case. SINCE WHEN HIGH PROFILE FREE AGENT CAME TO SAN ANTONIO??? SOMEBODY TELL ME WHEN? 100 YEARS AGO? I AGREE WITH MOST OF THE FANS OPINION, WE NEED TO WIN NOW WHEN DUNCAN AND MANU STILL FRESH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rascal
07-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Great excuse to do nothing for the next two years.

VaSpursFan
07-01-2008, 11:40 AM
fool's gold...when have we ever recruited a high profile player to SA???

Supergirl
07-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Well, when the Spurs won the Finley sweepstakes, it was considered a pretty big deal. Lots of teams were gunning for him, and he helped us win our 4th championship.

Horry, while not a high profile superstar, was a big signing - again, a lot of good teams were gunning for him and he chose SA.

And of course, Duncan choosing to stay rather than bolt for Orlando is a big, big deal.

Spur-Addict
07-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Great excuse to do nothing for the next two years.

More like a good excuse to fall back on.

SpursFanInAustin
07-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Well, when the Spurs won the Finley sweepstakes, it was considered a pretty big deal. Lots of teams were gunning for him, and he helped us win our 4th championship.

Horry, while not a high profile superstar, was a big signing - again, a lot of good teams were gunning for him and he chose SA.

And of course, Duncan choosing to stay rather than bolt for Orlando is a big, big deal.

IIRC, Horry was not wanted by anyone in the NBA. His stock hit an all-time low, after shooting 2-38 from the 3-pt line in the 2003 postseason. The Lakers dropped him for 40 year old Karl Malone. They thought Robert Horry was done and had no more big shots left in him, especially after Game 5 in 2003 vs the Spurs where he normally makes that shot, it rattled in and out.

Also IIRC, Horry was quoted in saying "I'm surprised the Spurs even wanted me after that performance."

AA2120
07-01-2008, 11:56 AM
isnt everyone looking toward 2010??

rascal
07-01-2008, 11:58 AM

Role player signings. No max player star acquisitions and Duncan does not count as most teams sign their star players.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-01-2008, 12:30 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100251

Marcus has cornered the market on offseason threads 'round these parts.

1Parker1
07-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Actually, I can see maybe someone like Bosh signing with the Spurs...