PDA

View Full Version : Screw That 2010 Plan

Twisted_Dawg
07-01-2008, 10:51 AM
If we are to listen to Pop, we are suppose to basically stand pat until the summer of 2010 when we will have lots of money and lots of free agents are available. Until then, we will draft players and sign affordable free agents. (God forbid we sign Horry and Finley again.)

Then in the summer of 2010 numerous high quality free agents will be standing in line wanting to play in SA.

Is Pop forgetting what happened in 2003? We spent two years structuring contracts to free up lots of cap space in the pursuit of one of the many high quality free agents available that summer. Jason Kidd didn't come here.Jermaine O'Neal didn't come here. In the summer of 2000 Pop tired to get Grant Hill to sign here as an inducement to keep Tim form signing with Orlando. Grant Hill didn't come here. He also spurned us last summer.

San Antonio has never been a destination for high profile free agents. So what makes Pop think the summer of 2010 will be any different? Does he think some quality free agent will want to sign a 6-year deal to play with a 34-year-old Duncan whose skills are already diminishing? Or to play with a 33-year-old Manu who is also wearing down? Or to play with a Parker who will be at the end of his contract and possibly gone?

Screw that 2010 Plan. The window on Tim and Manu is closing fast. The future is now. For Pop to say there are not many quality free agents available when guys like Josh Childress and Corey Maggette are sitting there kills me. I don't know if Childress or Maggette would consider playing here for the MLE, but at least try to sign one of these or other young athletic players. Please don't waste another $3 million on a Bonner this summer like they did last year.

And as far as that 2010 plan.....I don't think the fan base is going to be too happy watching the big three get older and playing with stiffs for two more years.

SCREW THAT 2010 PLAN

wisnub
07-01-2008, 11:04 AM
I agree. NY is already clearing the cap for Lebron Sweepstakes, and there is a great chance that Dwade and Bosh will resign w/ their team because they're the cornerstone of the team. All the Megastar of the team I know all resign with their own team and their team is absolutely taking steps to keep them. Spurs keep waiting got nothing and our TD and Manu aint getting younger. REMEBER SCOLA AND SPLITTER LESSON...SCOLA IS NOT GOING TO FIT IN COZ SPLITTER AND DUNCAN TALK?? HOW BOUT LOSING ALL OF THEM FEELS LIKE?

WE NEED TO FOCUS HERE AND NOW WHERE WE GOTTA KICK LAKERS AND CELTICS ASS.....ITS NO FUN WATCHING SPURS COLD IN SHOOTING COZ CRAPPY SCHEDULE AND PLANE DELAY TIRED SHIT

Twisted_Dawg
07-01-2008, 05:27 PM
We would never, never, never be a destination for LeBron, D-Wade, Bosh, et al.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I have to agree with the thread starter.

Brutalis
07-01-2008, 06:02 PM
By 2010 Duncan will be in his last couple years, and Manu will probably have done laid a turd.

I never "believed" in the 2010 plan anyhow. I always thought it was just the summer we replace our franchise players.

z0sa
07-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Eh, Manu laid a turd THIS year. I dunno if he can handle another couple seasons at a high level.

rj215
07-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Stupid question: if we resign Manu in 2010, will we still have that magical capspace to sign another big name?

Sway
07-01-2008, 07:24 PM
I agree with the original poster, the 2010 Plan is a pipe dream. The time to win is here and now.

exstatic
07-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Question: What kind of a great reload on the fly do you think we can do this summer and next armed only with exceptions and good intentions? I don't think we're passing on offering a huge deal to anyone, because with this money situation, we can't.

Spurs fan is spoiled. Enjoy these last 4 years of the Duncan era, and be glad they're at least putting themselves in a position to actually BE snubbed by FAs in 2010.

mrspurs
07-01-2008, 08:19 PM
agreed...

angelbelow
07-01-2008, 09:45 PM
bosh is a possibility, hes from texas. not saying its a great one though.

A.H 21-50
07-01-2008, 09:52 PM
i don't think there's a real 2010 plan discussed by spurs fo but with all the potential fa's in 2010 i could see the spurs take a shot at some players

but it's sure that spurs's strategy is to win now so maybe 2010 is an option in their mind but nothing else

Twisted_Dawg
07-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Question: What kind of a great reload on the fly do you think we can do this summer and next armed only with exceptions and good intentions? I don't think we're passing on offering a huge deal to anyone, because with this money situation, we can't.

Spurs fan is spoiled. Enjoy these last 4 years of the Duncan era, and be glad they're at least putting themselves in a position to actually BE snubbed by FAs in 2010.

Answer: Offer a MLE to Maggette.

DPG21920
07-02-2008, 02:43 AM
We will not have the money to offer any kind off max deal to anyone in 2010 if we extend Gino. We will have over 40 million dollars committed to 3 players (Tony,Tim, and Manu).

bigdog
07-02-2008, 02:47 AM
i don't think there's a real 2010 plan discussed by spurs fo but with all the potential fa's in 2010 i could see the spurs take a shot at some players

but it's sure that spurs's strategy is to win now so maybe 2010 is an option in their mind but nothing else

If I remember correctly, RC said on TV a while back that they wanted to bring in a star guy towards the end of Duncan's career(meaning 2010), just like what happened when Duncan was drafted towards the end of Robinson's career to help rebuild the team again.

AusSpursFan
07-02-2008, 03:25 AM
you have my vote for GM:lobt2:

wisnub
07-02-2008, 03:34 AM
FOOK 2010 plan...Fook GM, but wait, I love em..they just try to get Magette hehehe