PDA

View Full Version : Calderon says he has re-signed with Raptors

resistanze
07-01-2008, 11:28 AM
NBA: Calderon says he has re-signed with Raptors
Posted: July 01, 2008, 10:46 AM by Eric Koreen
Basketball, GTA, NBA

Well, that did not take long.

In the wee hours of the morning — or the reasonable hours of the morning in Spain — the Raptors reached an agreement with point guard Jose Calderon, a restricted free agent. The source of that news: Calderon himself.

"Early this morning, through my agents, I reached a preliminary agreement with the Toronto Raptors," Calderon said on his Web site. "I want to thank [president and general manager] Bryan Colangelo, [assistant general manager] Maurizio Gherardini, [head coach] Sam Mitchell and all of the Raptors family for the confidence that they have placed in me. I am sure that together we are going to achieve big things in the future."

The free agency negotiation period started Tuesday at 12:01 a.m. ET. Players, however, cannot officially sign their deals until July 9. However, players are free to talk about the completion of deals, even if teams are wary of doing so.

Calderon averaged 11.2 points and 8.3 assists per game last year, a season in which he split starting duties with T.J. Ford. Ford has been — or technically, will be — dealt to Indiana in a trade that will bring the Raptors forward/centre Jermaine O'Neal. That leaves Calderon to be the team's starter.

The terms of the deal are not known yet. For comparison's sake, the Raptors gave Ford a four-year deal worth about US$33-million in 2006. Expect the terms to fall right around that mark, with the possibility of a fifth year for Calderon, who will turn 27 in September.

With the contracts of O'Neal and Calderon, the Raptors will not have much room under the luxury tax to explore free agency further. Toronto will likely go searching for a couple of back-ups to Calderon, one of whom figures to be Roko Ukic, Toronto's 2005 second-round draft pick. He played for Lottomatica Roma of Italy last season.

The Raptors are also looking to solidify the end of their bench with low-cost players.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Good for both parties. Raptors got their point guard for a long while.