PDA

View Full Version : 60 points out of big three

Rummpd
02-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Recently with rare exceptions (when a Bowen, Barry, Beno or Brown steps in almost interchangeably)Spurs getting are now more consistently from Duncan, Manu and Parker around 55-60 points or more a game. One night it is Parker, then Manu, and more rarely than in past Duncan leading but that is ok as long as that core is there.

It is my contention that if you looked back on our stats in the games where at least 2/3 picked it up here and other had at least something (or a Manu performance of 48 offsetting Parker's 2) Spurs roll. It is on nights that only 1/3 is goiing that the team really struggles, when all mesh like last night with effective shared offense = team is super.

This team is deep enough now that what the big three are doing is in a sense replicating the Shaq, Kobe tandem, the Kings Bibby, Stoj, Webber or Miller, and whatever Dallas combo comes to play, Dirk, Finley, etc., the difference is that with this core 60 plus our bench the Spurs have the the defensive stability to beat anybody.

Watch it play out, I will be that in the last 35 games, when the big three have 60 or more Spurs will be nearly unbeatable.

I expect with Tim coming out of his funk, Parker turning in on more consistently, and Manu ready to take over any game especially in the 4th - this will happen more and more.

As a final comment, as someone who thought the upper limit of this team was 63 wins, I am also not sure now that is will be an under-estimate. I can easily see the Spurs going something like 28-7 for a 65 win season or potentially, coming out of this road trip strong even better.

whottt
02-02-2005, 01:09 AM
I don't think you'll see Tony and Manu scoring 20 in the same game very often. If Manu is having a big night Tony doesn't look to score as much and his scoring his usually limited to what he gets in the first quarter or half. But I agree, when it happens the Spurs are unbeatable. Actually they are pretty much unbeatable if Duncan and either Parker or Manu both get 20.

Rummpd
02-02-2005, 01:23 AM
I agree and it is the summation of the points. I expect Duncan to pick up to around a 23-24 point man rest of way and Parker and Manu trading off on other 35-40 points.

The good news is that seemingly none are playing for stats.

Phenomanul
02-02-2005, 09:17 AM
No... No.... No... remember we are not borrowing that silly title from the Tpups (last year)

Our core players need to have a title of their own...

"THE SPURS TRIUMVIRATE"
Get used to it...
I will keep writing it...
Until others embrace it....

genghisrex
02-02-2005, 09:24 AM
"THE SPURS TRIUMVIRATE"
Get used to it...
I will keep writing it...
Until others embrace it....
You may be writing it a while. Triumvirate does not roll off the tongue.

Phenomanul
02-02-2005, 09:28 AM
You may be writing it a while. Triumvirate does not roll off the tongue.

It better represents how dominant a trio I think Duncan, Ginobili and Parker are......

TwoHandJam
02-02-2005, 02:22 PM
How about the (holy) trinity? Easier to pronounce.

exstatic
02-02-2005, 02:30 PM
The Triplets, like the powerhouse cowboy teams!

Athenea
02-02-2005, 02:31 PM
What about the (SAcred) triad??

PS: I'm trying to ppl to embrace BEN-SHUIIIIIII for Beno and still not working :depressed I'm lousy at this! :lol

Experiment2100
02-02-2005, 02:36 PM
http://www.sorry.demon.nl/images/Three_Caballeros_PAL_VHS.jpg

Phenomanul
02-02-2005, 02:39 PM
How about the (holy) trinity? Easier to pronounce.

Religious implications won't go to well with many people.... Why do you think Robinson was never as hyped up as other players from a marketing standpoint... sponsors saw his devotion to God as a divisive issue for "all" of America to embrace him... vís a vís their product...

Phenomanul
02-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Granted DRob played for a small market team...

GoSpurs21
02-02-2005, 03:15 PM
I kinda like the trifecta

office handle
02-02-2005, 03:18 PM
it wasnt his religiousity, a lot of pro athletes speak out about that. he simply did not fit the part of what is expected of a NBA superstar. i didnt have a problem with that.

boutons
02-02-2005, 03:48 PM
trifecta

1 : a variation of the perfecta in which a bettor must select the first 3 finishers of a race in the correct order of finish in order to win — called also triple — compare SUPERFECTA herein

2 : TRIPLE 1b *achieved a show-business trifecta : a platinum record, a hit TV series, and an Oscar nomination*

==============================

Trying to overload a common term to a local group's definition is not easy. Every time you talk about the (spurs) "trifecta", you're going to have to explain your trifecta to everybody else. ugh, hardly a effective project.

Trifecta usually means winning or achieving 3 things, not a triplet of people.

They've only been together 2 full seasons. If this Spurs season really does end at historic-for-Spurs 66-16 record and a 3rd Spurs title, then maybe they would merit some special term.

Dex
02-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Trifecta is a cool word too...but seriously...

Triumvirate isn't that difficult of a word. It's English, people. :rolleyes

It's that, or....the

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/raverdex/threeamigos.jpg

Experiment2100
02-02-2005, 03:52 PM
:lmao That is kinda disturbing though.

bigzak25
02-02-2005, 03:56 PM
that's perfect Dex.....but uh...yeah...TD is standing a little....effiminately.

Dex
02-02-2005, 04:00 PM

I think it's the smile. :lol

RobinsontoDuncan
02-02-2005, 04:50 PM
the holy trinity is going to get AHF up in arms

GoSpurs21
02-02-2005, 04:59 PM
trifecta

1 : a variation of the perfecta in which a bettor must select the first 3 finishers of a race in the correct order of finish in order to win — called also triple — compare SUPERFECTA herein

2 : TRIPLE 1b *achieved a show-business trifecta : a platinum record, a hit TV series, and an Oscar nomination*

==============================

Trying to overload a common term to a local group's definition is not easy. Every time you talk about the (spurs) "trifecta", you're going to have to explain your trifecta to everybody else. ugh, hardly a effective project.

Trifecta usually means winning or achieving 3 things, not a triplet of people.

They've only been together 2 full seasons. If this Spurs season really does end at historic-for-Spurs 66-16 record and a 3rd Spurs title, then maybe they would merit some special term.Think of it this way the Spurs hit the trifecta with their draft picks TD, TP and MG.

Phenomanul
02-02-2005, 05:36 PM
So far we have:

--The Spurs Triumvirate
--The Three Caballeros (Latin feel for a large hispanic town...fitting)
--The Three Amigos (same as above)
--Trinity (Ties to the local college)
--ParTiMan (would be a cool game intro catch phrase.... "And now...ParTiMan!!! Let's get ready to party!!)
--The SAcred Triad ( I actually like this one since it incorporates the city's initials in the adjective)
--The Spurs Trifecta (funny I always thought a trifecta in basketball lingo was a trey...)
--The Triplets
--The Three Kings (from another thread... but no, I would't want any references to SacTown)

did I miss any???

TwoHandJam
02-02-2005, 08:46 PM
the holy trinity is going to get AHF up in arms
No no no people. I put "holy" in brackets for a reason i.e. it was just a joke. I was just pushing the word trinity.

Main Entry: Trin·i·ty
Pronunciation: 'tri-n&-tE
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English trinite, from Old French trinité, from Late Latin trinitat-, trinitas state of being threefold, from Latin trinus threefold
1 : the unity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as three persons in one Godhead according to Christian dogma
2 not capitalized : a group of three closely related persons or things
3 : the Sunday after Whitsunday observed as a feast in honor of the Trinity

Phenomanul
02-03-2005, 07:03 PM
So far we have:

--The Spurs Triumvirate
--The Three Caballeros (Latin feel for a large hispanic town...fitting)
--The Three Amigos (same as above)
--Trinity (Ties to the local college)
--ParTiMan (would be a cool game intro catch phrase.... "And now...ParTiMan!!! Let's get ready to party!!)
--The SAcred Triad ( I actually like this one since it incorporates the city's initials in the adjective)
--The Spurs Trifecta (funny I always thought a trifecta in basketball lingo was a trey...)
--The Triplets
--The Three Kings (from another thread... but no, I would't want any references to SacTown)

did I miss any???

I guess Triple Threat will work as well.... though it is not a very personalized term...

genghisrex
02-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Triumvirate isn't that difficult of a word. It's English, people. :rolleyes
It's not about triumvirate being a "difficult" word. It's a fine word, but it's not a very catchy nickname -- few four syllable words are.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-03-2005, 11:16 PM
I like "NBA Champions" myself.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-04-2005, 12:05 AM
Why the hell would that bother me?

*shrugs*

Howabout Tortilla Triumvirate :lol

Phenomanul
02-04-2005, 09:14 AM
I like "NBA Champions" myself.

And see... ghenghisrex that was a 5 syllable phrase... :king