PDA

View Full Version : Question about camping and Texas....

Ballcox
07-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Just wanted to get some feedback on good spots to go camping in Texas. My twins are old enough now where in the fall I want to get the hell out of the house and take them to see some differnt parts of the state.

Living just outside out Austin, I'm familiar with enchanted rock, Perdanales (sp?), and other local area state parks. But any info on other state parks (mostly within the central texas area) that would make for good weekend trips would be most appreciated.

Also, parks that have some fun things for the little ones to do, thanks!

to21
07-01-2008, 02:04 PM
If you can afford it, get a pop-up trailer.

It's a couple of steps above a tent. Yeah I know it's not REALLY camping, but it's close. It's too damn hot to be staying in a tent.

Blanco and Inks Lake are nice.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/hill_country/

BacktoBasics
07-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Let me know if you need a pop up or trailer. I can hook you up.

leemajors
07-01-2008, 02:34 PM
If you can afford it, get a pop-up trailer.

It's a couple of steps above a tent. Yeah I know it's not REALLY camping, but it's close. It's too damn hot to be staying in a tent.

Blanco and Inks Lake are nice.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/hill_country/

inks lake is great.

07-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Lost Maples in the fall.

Make your reservations now.

Big P
07-01-2008, 05:27 PM
inks lake is great.

+2...Inks is my favorite camping spot.

marini martini
07-01-2008, 06:46 PM
If you haven't been to Bastrop S.P. You need to. A whole different world. With cool little rock cabins that look like Snow White's place. And make reservations now, for next year.

tlongII
07-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Rattlesnakes are not your friends.

HighLowLobForBig-50
07-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Mansfield dam @ lake Travis
cornflakes and big red will catch yall carp all night long

marini martini
07-01-2008, 08:47 PM
davis mountains

worth the drive

My fave also:toast Indian lodge if you don't camp.

mrsmaalox
07-01-2008, 10:23 PM
My fave also:toast Indian lodge if you don't camp.

Hey, the Col's cousin runs that place!!

marini martini
07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Hey, the Col's cousin runs that place!!

Dayum, we got a pop-up, but nice to know. Will go bug him next time we're there. You think he'll let us swim for free?:lol

mrsmaalox
07-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Nah, his ass is so tight it squeaks when he walks!! :lol

to21
07-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Mansfield dam @ lake Travis
cornflakes and big red will catch yall carp all night long:lol That and a can o' corn.

to21
07-02-2008, 09:13 AM
davis mountains

worth the driveNever been.....it's like a six hour drive I hear.

I'll have to look it up.

fatsack
07-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Just wanted to get some feedback on good spots to go camping in Texas. My twins are old enough now where in the fall I want to get the hell out of the house and take them to see some differnt parts of the state.

Living just outside out Austin, I'm familiar with enchanted rock, Perdanales (sp?), and other local area state parks. But any info on other state parks (mostly within the central texas area) that would make for good weekend trips would be most appreciated.

Also, parks that have some fun things for the little ones to do, thanks!

Concan.

tlongII
07-02-2008, 09:52 AM
http://texastailchaser.com/blogger/2007/LAH/IMG_5787.JPG

thispego
07-02-2008, 11:28 AM
http://i31.tinypic.com/5x0rvs.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/1e2q0i.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/10wlddv.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/20870wm.jpg

Ballcox
07-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks for all the above info, also the reminder about snakes. We'll be camping out this fall, are snakes still a concern during the cooler months? I just want to take the right precautions with two 5 yr. old kids, especially a boy who likes to touch everything in sight, very curious.

leemajors
07-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all the above info, also the reminder about snakes. We'll be camping out this fall, are snakes still a concern during the cooler months? I just want to take the right precautions with two 5 yr. old kids, especially a boy who likes to touch everything in sight, very curious.

still fairly warm in the fall, i'd def watch out for them.

mrsmaalox
07-02-2008, 11:50 AM

Cooler months they're more likely to be out in the daylight catching some rays. Warmer months they are out pretty much anytime.

CubanMustGo
07-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Garner State Park (which is near Concan). Crowded as hell in the summer but not too bad in the fall.

RandomGuy
07-02-2008, 03:43 PM
If you haven't been to Bastrop S.P. You need to. A whole different world. With cool little rock cabins that look like Snow White's place. And make reservations now, for next year.

Bastrop is a lot of fun. Not too crowded and they have at least one really shallow area on the lake that is great for kids.

RandomGuy
07-02-2008, 03:45 PM
http://www.canyon-lake.net/

Canyon lake is fun.

RandomGuy
07-02-2008, 03:49 PM
If you want to do some camping in the summer, try Wyoming, Colorado, or Montana.

The cool days and cold nights in the rockies make for great camping weather when it is hotter than **** in Texas.

Be warned though, some people in Colorado generally don't like Texas license plates.

Ski resort towns are also excellent places to go camping and hiking in the summer.

RandomGuy
07-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Stay away from Yellowstone though. Waaaay too crowded.

The massive volcano under Yellowstone that erupts every 10 million years or so and annihilates a thousand mile radius area does feed some other fun hot springs a good distance away from Yellowstone, Jackson Hole having a few of them.

Extra Stout
07-02-2008, 03:54 PM
If you want to do some camping in the summer, try Wyoming, Colorado, or Montana.

The cool days and cold nights in the rockies make for great camping weather when it is hotter than **** in Texas.

Be warned though, some people in Colorado generally don't like Texas license plates.

Ski resort towns are also excellent places to go camping and hiking in the summer.
That depends on which part of Colorado you're in. Boulderites tend to assume that all Texans torture Iraqi children and pour toxic sludge into watersheds in their spare time.

RandomGuy
07-02-2008, 04:22 PM
That depends on which part of Colorado you're in. Boulderites tend to assume that all Texans torture Iraqi children and pour toxic sludge into watersheds in their spare time.

I rest my case. (I grew up in Wyoming)

If you have a Texas license plate try to be on your best behavior at any rate.

johnsmith
07-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Having lived in Colorado for most of my life I can say that our hatred towards other states isn't exclusive to Texas. We pretty much think we're better then everyone.

johnsmith
07-02-2008, 04:26 PM
And on that note, Colorado still owns all other states in the union.

johnsmith
07-02-2008, 04:26 PM
I rest my case. (I grew up in Wyoming)

If you have a Texas license plate try to be on your best behavior at any rate.

Where in Wyoming? I went to school in Ft. Collins and would go up there from time to time.

RandomGuy
07-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Where in Wyoming? I went to school in Ft. Collins and would go up there from time to time.

Considering that the largest 5 towns have 50%+ of the population, you would have a good shot at just guessing.

Let's just say I didn't grow up in Tie Siding... ;)

RandomGuy
07-02-2008, 04:35 PM

You were one of the "Greenies" as us Wyomingites used to call you before you changed the license plates.

Texans came to Colorado to hunt/fish/camp and Coloradans came to Wyoming. :lol

johnsmith
07-02-2008, 04:36 PM
You were one of the "Greenies" as us Wyomingites used to call you before you changed the license plates.

Texans came to Colorado to hunt/fish/camp and Coloradans came to Wyoming. :lol

We went to Idaho a lot too you know.

johnsmith
07-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Considering that the largest 5 towns have 50%+ of the population, you would have a good shot at just guessing.

Let's just say I didn't grow up in Tie Siding... ;)

good point.

RandomGuy
07-02-2008, 04:47 PM
good point.

But the fact that I know where the f*** Tie Siding is oughta give it away though.

I will probably be in (driving through) Ft. Collins in about two weeks. Both of my siblings had their first kids in the last year, and I will be taking a grand tour to visit my nephews in Wyoming and Colorado.

johnsmith
07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
But the fact that I know where the f*** Tie Siding is oughta give it away though.

I will probably be in (driving through) Ft. Collins in about two weeks. Both of my siblings had their first kids in the last year, and I will be taking a grand tour to visit my nephews in Wyoming and Colorado.

Ft. Collins has grown WAY too much for how small that town is. I'd never want to go back and live there because of it.

I hear a bunch of Windsor got wiped out a month or two ago from tornado's. That's too bad.

thispego
07-02-2008, 05:00 PM
http://www.englishforum.ch/attachments/family-matters/98d1158920230-kindergartens-oerlikon-