PDA

View Full Version : The apple announcement today.

T Park
07-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Supposedly they can let you buy an iphone, and not have to sign a contract.

Does that mean you can take your phone and get it to work on the Sprint network or whatever?

I was looking into getting one here in a month, and wondered what this announcement today meant?

Kyle Smith
07-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Could be.

*Interested*

I'll look into it. I hate ATT

stretch
07-01-2008, 03:59 PM
interesting

DannyT
07-01-2008, 04:22 PM
whats wrong with AT&T?

Heath Ledger
07-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Iphones are incompatible with the Sprint Network.

dougp
07-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Iphones are incompatible with the Sprint Network.

What he said, along with the fact that ATT is going to be fining people for not signing up for service with the new iPhones.

Brutalis
07-01-2008, 05:54 PM
whats wrong with AT&T?

:rollin:lol:lmao

Kyle Smith
07-01-2008, 06:27 PM
I had a thought:

The new model of the iPhone is called iPhone 3G - for AT&T's 3G network. I'm assuming this means that it will (supposed to) only be for them.

I know you can unlock an iPhone and use it on any network that uses a SIM Card. (T-Mobile is one I know of off hand)

Kyle Smith
07-01-2008, 06:30 PM
whats wrong with AT&T?

The 3G Network is supposed to be badass, but the current iPhones can't use it - Leaving us with shitty service almost everywhere. I switched from Verizon (where I almost always had full bars) to AT&T (where I rarely do)

leemajors
07-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Since AT&T's unlocked iPhone 3Gs will cost you $599 (8GB) or $699 (16GB), you are better off signing a contract and canceling it than buying an unlocked iPhone. In fact, it's even cheaper to buy a 16GB iPhone using this method than to buy and unlock an 8GB version.

leemajors
07-01-2008, 07:09 PM
The 3G Network is supposed to be badass, but the current iPhones can't use it - Leaving us with shitty service almost everywhere. I switched from Verizon (where I almost always had full bars) to AT&T (where I rarely do)

3G coverage with any network is only in metro areas. 2G isn't bad at all, just a bit slower. The only places i don't get coverage where i go regularly is between towns like Cuero, Goliad, and such.

T Park
07-03-2008, 02:20 AM
ok for someone thats very untech savy like me, whats the unlocked phone mean.

N.Y. Johnny
07-03-2008, 10:40 AM
ok for someone thats very untech savy like me, whats the unlocked phone mean.

Unlocked means basically its GSM, it has a SIM Chip that is utilized in the U.S. around here by AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile. There are other smaller rural users but those 2 are the big ones around town here.

Verizon, Sprint, Pocket, and I believe Cricket are mostly CDMA, which is Code Division Multiple Access technology and incompatible with GSM.

You can use a iPhone or a AT&T Shine on T-Mobile if they are unlocked but you can't take like a Verizon Voyager or a Verizon chocolate and use it on AT*T or T=Mobile.

If a phone is SIM Unlocked then you can pop in a T-Mobile card and use it with that or you can use it in another country of the world which mostly use GSM. Remember GSM the "G" means Global.

iPhone is ONLY GSM capable as of now. If you find one unlocked then you can use that iPhone with ANY GSM company's SIM card. It means that you can't use it with CDMA because they use ESN Numbers and not SIM Cards.

It is possible to use a Verizon or Sprint phone with someone like Pocket I think but to use anything but a Verizon phone with Verizon is kind of hard because they are very anal about what devices you use on their network.

Kyle Smith
07-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Unlocked means basically its GSM, it has a SIM Chip that is utilized in the U.S. around here by AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile. There are other smaller rural users but those 2 are the big ones around town here.

Verizon, Sprint, Pocket, and I believe Cricket are mostly CDMA, which is Code Division Multiple Access technology and incompatible with GSM.

You can use a iPhone or a AT&T Shine on T-Mobile if they are unlocked but you can't take like a Verizon Voyager or a Verizon chocolate and use it on AT*T or T=Mobile.

If a phone is SIM Unlocked then you can pop in a T-Mobile card and use it with that or you can use it in another country of the world which mostly use GSM. Remember GSM the "G" means Global.

iPhone is ONLY GSM capable as of now. If you find one unlocked then you can use that iPhone with ANY GSM company's SIM card. It means that you can't use it with CDMA because they use ESN Numbers and not SIM Cards.

It is possible to use a Verizon or Sprint phone with someone like Pocket I think but to use anything but a Verizon phone with Verizon is kind of hard because they are very anal about what devices you use on their network.

It means you can use other networks lol.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-03-2008, 03:51 PM

i probably know the answer to this, but why isn't there a universal standard?

ashbeeigh
07-03-2008, 04:14 PM
The way I read it, from http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/070108-no-contract-iphone-on-the.html?t51hb ,The iphone would still be on the AT&T network it would just be a pay as you go plan which is always a load of shit.

DannyT
07-03-2008, 04:28 PM
does the new iphone that is going for $199 have GPS on it...?
I know it has the 3G on it which is why I waited that and the price at first. Also what about texting of pictures issue? I heard that you can not text pictures to other phones from the Iphone. Is this correct and if so what the fuck? Is it fixed yet? And what is the difference with the new Iphone that is being released Jul 11th and the the upgrade 2.0?

Just looking for some insight before I make my purchase

DannyT
07-03-2008, 04:30 PM
:rollin:lol:lmao

hoestly I have never had any issues with the company..I have been with sprint, verizon, and even pocket. Never had one issue with AT&T/Cingular. They offer good service great military discounts and never ever had to be in a situation where I was roaming...like most other phones back in the day

ElNono
07-03-2008, 06:26 PM
does the new iphone that is going for $199 have GPS on it...?
I know it has the 3G on it which is why I waited that and the price at first. Also what about texting of pictures issue? I heard that you can not text pictures to other phones from the Iphone. Is this correct and if so what the fuck? Is it fixed yet? And what is the difference with the new Iphone that is being released Jul 11th and the the upgrade 2.0?

Just looking for some insight before I make my purchase

- The new iPhone 3G does have a GPS built-in.
- The built in SMS app does not allow texting pictures AFAIK (I have an iPod touch with the latest 2.0 software, not an iPhone, so I can't check if they added that). You can email pictures. Also, with the new 2.0 software is only going to be a matter of time before some third party writes a more complete SMS software. Now, right now, I'm fairly sure it's not built in.
- The 2.0 upgrade will come installed in the new 3G phones. Basically because the older software does not have the drivers for the new phones. So if you buy one of the new 3G phones, 2.0 will come pre-installed. If you buy one of the old iphones, you can upgrade for free to 2.0. If you buy an iPod touch, you'll have to pay a fee (I don't remember how much right now, but I think it was < $20) to upgrade to 2.0
- The new 2.0 upgrade contains many enhancements and bug fixes, and also includes the AppStore, where you'll be able to purchase (or download, some of them will be free) third party applications and games.

[shameless plug]
Look out for a product called 'Game Pack Volume 1', which includes Sudoku, Wordfind and a Picture puzzle, available on launch day. If you're into those kind of puzzle games, you get all those for a small single price. They're all randomly generated, so you don't run out of puzzles, include 3 difficulty levels each, and are fun for the whole family (and real nice when you're traveling and there's no internet connection around).
[/shameless plug]

Hope the info helps. :)

DannyT
07-03-2008, 06:33 PM
thanks bro

N.Y. Johnny
07-04-2008, 01:20 AM
i probably know the answer to this, but why isn't there a universal standard?

Verizon is going to be LTE in the future so thats the next generation of GSM, they're going down that road as is everyone else in the world. That will probably be as close to universal as it is. It looks like the big two here will be Verizon and AT&T both using LTE and T-Mobile is hanging around. Sprint is having very serious financial woes and maybe struggling to keep afloat so someone may buy them up.

Also, the fact that the iPhone doesn't do MMS is absolutely stupid. You can send Pictures easily with it but its recieving them that sucks ass. viewmymessage.com from AT&T is an absolute abortion and is sad.

leemajors
07-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Verizon is going to be LTE in the future so thats the next generation of GSM, they're going down that road as is everyone else in the world. That will probably be as close to universal as it is. It looks like the big two here will be Verizon and AT&T both using LTE and T-Mobile is hanging around. Sprint is having very serious financial woes and maybe struggling to keep afloat so someone may buy them up.

Also, the fact that the iPhone doesn't do MMS is absolutely stupid. You can send Pictures easily with it but its recieving them that sucks ass. viewmymessage.com from AT&T is an absolute abortion and is sad.

yeah that is stupid. it's a lot easier to email pics though imo, and they don't ding you per email either.

T Park
07-10-2008, 03:31 AM
Ok So I'm gonna go ahead and get an Iphone, I'm just wondering though, should I get the phone and go with ATT, or get the unlocked one and go with T Mobile?

Any suggestions? This will be my first venture into getting a cell phone.

CubanMustGo
07-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Since it's the first time you've delved into the cell phone world, KISS would seem to apply. Go with AT&T (I too have had no problems with them over the years) and you can change later once your contract runs out.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-10-2008, 10:46 AM

Also, the fact that the iPhone doesn't do MMS is absolutely stupid. You can send Pictures easily with it but its recieving them that sucks ass. viewmymessage.com from AT&T is an absolute abortion and is sad.what does LTE stand for? i'm too lazy to google. what do you mean by "t-moblie is hanging around"? is that good or bad. i'm with them.

rAm
07-10-2008, 05:05 PM
http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/columns/basic-jones.html

T Park
07-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Since it's the first time you've delved into the cell phone world, KISS would seem to apply. Go with AT&T (I too have had no problems with them over the years) and you can change later once your contract runs out.

kiss???

Dex
07-11-2008, 05:41 PM
kiss???

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Great advice. Hurts my feelings every time.

Like he said though, unlocked iPhones can even be tricky for people who REALLY know how to handle them. And if something goes wrong with it, you better know damn well how to fix it yourself.

Considering this is your first venture with the product line, I would recommend sticking with the AT&T so you have their Technical Support available to you, as well as Apple's.

Neither Apple nor AT&T will give two shits if your unlocked iPhone stops working.

DannyT
07-11-2008, 06:08 PM
but you can alway youtube a fix or fond someone locally who will hook it up for you

DannyT
07-11-2008, 06:09 PM
did anyone get their hands on a phone today...I tried but the lines were too long for me

T Park
07-11-2008, 10:45 PM
I have a bid in on a 16 GB phone on Ebay.

Wish me lucky.

Thanks for the advice Dex.

Appreciate you guys dumbing down the explanations for someone like me :lol

RashoFan
07-12-2008, 01:41 AM
I am using the Samsung Instinct to post right now. This phone is badass. Seems like a good version of the iphone for the Sprint users.

Kyle Smith
07-12-2008, 04:17 PM
I have a bid in on a 16 GB phone on Ebay.

Wish me lucky.

Thanks for the advice Dex.

Appreciate you guys dumbing down the explanations for someone like me :lol

Go T Park, Go!

T Park
07-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Yeah I won the bid for it!!!

Now I hope ATT accepts this phone, its supposedly unlocked. Hopefully they don't get pissed or I get arressted :lol

exstatic
07-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Yeah I won the bid for it!!!

Now I hope ATT accepts this phone, its supposedly unlocked. Hopefully they don't get pissed or I get arressted :lol
I think if you connect to iTunes on your PC, it may be able to reset the phone to factory spec. I've also heard that if you upgrade to the 2.0 software, it re-locks the phone, too.

If you don't have iTunes now, get it. You'll need it to port music onto your iPhone anyways.

Brutalis
07-12-2008, 06:36 PM
When my contract is up with this Razrv3 I'll probably give in and get that iphone 3G. It's 8GB right?

What kind of service plans are there for the iphone with AT&T? It would suck to have everything but the internet or some shit.

Brutalis
07-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Is it true all AT&T iphone plans have just 200SMS text messages a month?

WTF is that? I use 200 texts in a week man. 100 out and 100 in... come the fuck on...

leemajors
07-12-2008, 08:42 PM

WTF is that? I use 200 texts in a week man. 100 out and 100 in... come the fuck on...

outbound texts are billable, not inbound.

DannyT
07-12-2008, 09:01 PM
got mine today...and 200 text is the smallest plan they have...on my old phone the next up was 400 text but not the next up was like 1000 text a month or some shit so there is more then just the 200 texts a month and also an unlimited plan I believe

and just like lee said when you have text in your plan only outbound text are chargable

Brutalis
07-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Well I've educated myself. If you have an iphone any plan you get you'll have internet and email, as well as gps and all that stuff. I just can't find any plans.

Brutalis
07-13-2008, 10:39 AM
outbound texts are billable, not inbound.

So me bitching out people for sending 4 pages of one text was pointless huh. :downspin:

DannyT
07-13-2008, 12:38 PM
So me bitching out people for sending 4 pages of one text was pointless huh. :downspin:

again only true if you have a text message plan...if you dont then you get billed for text going in and out

Brutalis
07-13-2008, 12:42 PM
My plan is 200 a month. So yep.

T Park
07-13-2008, 01:13 PM
I think if you connect to iTunes on your PC, it may be able to reset the phone to factory spec. I've also heard that if you upgrade to the 2.0 software, it re-locks the phone, too.

If you don't have iTunes now, get it. You'll need it to port music onto your iPhone anyways.

Yeah I've had an Ipod for a while so having Itunes is no biggie.

Thanks for the insight, this whole Iphone thing has been, different.

N.Y. Johnny
07-14-2008, 01:40 PM

The original yes. Its included in the $20 data plan.

iPhone 3G is a little more unfriendly at $30 for data and ZERO texts. You need to add a text plan with it.

Shelly
07-15-2008, 10:39 AM
The original yes. Its included in the $20 data plan.

iPhone 3G is a little more unfriendly at $30 for data and ZERO texts. You need to add a text plan with it.

Yeah...I've also heard the battery life in the 3G doesn't last as long as the original phones.

FWIW--We have the 700 min rollever family plan. We never go over our minutes, so we have well over 6000 minutes. Since we have 3 phones on our plan, I switched to the unlimited texting plan. It's $30 a month, so $10/phone. My husband and I both have iPhones that had the 200 texts, and my son had 400 texts for $10/mo. So the texting plan we have now is a steal.

N.Y. Johnny
07-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Yeah...I've also heard the battery life in the 3G doesn't last as long as the original phones.

FWIW--We have the 700 min rollever family plan. We never go over our minutes, so we have well over 6000 minutes. Since we have 3 phones on our plan, I switched to the unlimited texting plan. It's $30 a month, so $10/phone. My husband and I both have iPhones that had the 200 texts, and my son had 400 texts for $10/mo. So the texting plan we have now is a steal.

Yeah there's some complaints on the battery life, but in fairness though 3G and a GPS radio will eat battery up very fast.
Also on HowardForums.com, a cellphone forum, in the Apple section alot of folks are kind of saying that the 3G iPhone has gimped 3G.
I tend to believe this somewhat, but also AT&T's 3G network is really frail and pathetic too and can't handle the hell thats unleashed on it with all these new 3G iPhones.
I tend to think the iPhone is gimped because I've tested a N95 and a Blackjack and got way way faster speeds on them than what people are saying on the iPhone. 200-500kbps on the iPhone smells funny especially when a older blackjack and the N95 in the same area and spot came in at averages around 850-1.2kbps.

:wow

Viva Las Espuelas
07-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Yeah there's some complaints on the battery life, but in fairness though 3G and a GPS radio will eat battery up very fast.
Also on HowardForums.com, a cellphone forum, in the Apple section alot of folks are kind of saying that the 3G iPhone has gimped 3G.
I tend to believe this somewhat, but also AT&T's 3G network is really frail and pathetic too and can't handle the hell thats unleashed on it with all these new 3G iPhones.
I tend to think the iPhone is gimped because I've tested a N95 and a Blackjack and got way way faster speeds on them than what people are saying on the iPhone. 200-500kbps on the iPhone smells funny especially when a older blackjack and the N95 in the same area and spot came in at averages around 850-1.2kbps.

:wow
what do you think of the n95 and it's successors? i've always like nokia products. the first one i had was a tank. i really didn't care for the 5530. i don't know why i got that one. anyway, your thoughts on nokias?

N.Y. Johnny
07-15-2008, 09:59 PM
what do you think of the n95 and it's successors? i've always like nokia products. the first one i had was a tank. i really didn't care for the 5530. i don't know why i got that one. anyway, your thoughts on nokias?

I really like the Nokia N95 8GB alot. Its a very badass phone, and Symbian isn't a piece of shit OS either. I really like the simplicity and smoothness of iPhone and really the experience on the Safari browser is the only reason I keep one, but the Nokias browser I think supports Flash so you can view alot of websites like a desktop like Youtube and not mobile m.youtube.com. You can add a 3rd party one too and alot of other 3rd party apps too so its not limited.

Nokia makes solid phones and I think I will get this one for sure for myself too. I borrowed someones to use and I really liked it, so I'll probably sell my iPhone and when work gives me a 3G that too :lol. I really don't like fucking Windows Mobile as you have to hack and tweak and mess with registrys and thats a big PITA otherwise I'd get a tilt, but also

Price wise since Nokia's N95 doesn't meet AT&T's definition of a Smartphone *no QWERTY pad* you can use the cheaper 15 buck a month data plan and still use 3G not just edge. Tilt and iPhone have to use AT&T's $30 a month PDA plans.

I would think the Nokia N95 is a better overall phone in terms of features and functionality just by an edge NOT really a big gap, but thats just my opinion there.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-15-2008, 10:25 PM
I really like the Nokia N95 8GB alot. Its a very badass phone, and Symbian isn't a piece of shit OS either. I really like the simplicity and smoothness of iPhone and really the experience on the Safari browser is the only reason I keep one, but the Nokias browser I think supports Flash so you can view alot of websites like a desktop like Youtube and not mobile m.youtube.com. You can add a 3rd party one too and alot of other 3rd party apps too so its not limited.

Nokia makes solid phones and I think I will get this one for sure for myself too. I borrowed someones to use and I really liked it, so I'll probably sell my iPhone and when work gives me a 3G that too :lol. I really don't like fucking Windows Mobile as you have to hack and tweak and mess with registrys and thats a big PITA otherwise I'd get a tilt, but also

Price wise since Nokia's N95 doesn't meet AT&T's definition of a Smartphone *no QWERTY pad* you can use the cheaper 15 buck a month data plan and still use 3G not just edge. Tilt and iPhone have to use AT&T's $30 a month PDA plans.

I would think the Nokia N95 is a better overall phone in terms of features and functionality just by an edge NOT really a big gap, but thats just my opinion there.thanks for the info. i have a htc shadow and i like it. i dig that it's wifi. i'm a cheap mexican and didn't get the hotzone deal. just search for wifi signals. i kinda don't like windows mobile. do you have any good hack sites for it?

Heath Ledger
07-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Im holding out for some of the Google powered phones to come out, it will eat the Iphone for lunch.

leemajors
07-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Im holding out for some of the Google powered phones to come out, it will eat the Iphone for lunch.

well, hopefully it becomes less of a mess:

http://gizmodo.com/5018800/wsj-android-is-a-giant-delayed-flustercuck-iphone-easier-to-develop-for

Thunder Dan
07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
does the 3G Iphone have a flash for the camera?

N.Y. Johnny
07-16-2008, 04:25 PM
does the 3G Iphone have a flash for the camera?

No zoom and no flash for the camera at all. Same old 2 megapixel camera. :depressed

This is why I also like the N95, it has a awesome 5 megapixel camera that can pretty much be a stand alone digital camera by itself. Its unfair to compare it to other phones, but for me since I'm in the market for a new camera thats 2 things out of the way there. :spin