PDA

View Full Version : "Hoopsworld: Ben Gordon a Spur?"

Big P
07-01-2008, 05:16 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9312

The company line of out San Antonio is that they're going to look to re-sign their free agents and pretty much stand pat with the team they ran with last season. That means the ancient Michael Finley, Robert Horry and Jacque Vaughn would retake the hardwood when the curtain rises on the 2008-09 season.

Sure. That's going to happen.

What's more likely - at least if the Spurs plan to be better next season - is that they go after a key free agent, and the San Antonio Express-News is suggesting that Chicago's Ben Gordon might be a good candidate. They say the Bulls aren't going to offer Gordon more than the mid-level exception (mind you, the Bulls themselves are saying Gordon and Luol Deng are top priorities), and that the Spurs could sweeten the deal for Gordon.

There's absolutely no question Gordon would make the Spurs better, and would make them the odds-on favorites to win the West. What seems more likely, though, unless the Bulls just want to let Gordon walk away, is that San Antonio makes a move for Denver's JR Smith. Smith brings a lot of the same talent that Gordon has, but needs a little more structure to be successful. Gregg Popovich may be just the person to apply such structure.

xtremesteven33
07-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Ben Gordon??

haha....too short for a SG...shoots too much for a PG....pass

Big P
IMO IF we had to choose between JR Smith or Gordon for the entire MLE, its got to be Gordon hands down....he can score & would fit right in at SG.

ChumpDumper
Hoopsworld's citing the Express-News tells you all you need to know about either organization as an outlet for Spurs free agent news.

T Park
God Hoopsworld is a virus.

bigdog
07-01-2008, 05:21 PM

The company line of out San Antonio is that they're going to look to re-sign their free agents and pretty much stand pat with the team they ran with last season. That means the ancient Michael Finley, Robert Horry and Jacque Vaughn would retake the hardwood when the curtain rises on the 2008-09 season.

What's more likely - at least if the Spurs plan to be better next season - is that they go after a key free agent, and the San Antonio Express-News is suggesting that Chicago's Ben Gordon might be a good candidate. They say the Bulls aren't going to offer Gordon more than the mid-level exception (mind you, the Bulls themselves are saying Gordon and Luol Deng are top priorities), and that the Spurs could sweeten the deal for Gordon.

There's absolutely no question Gordon would make the Spurs better, and would make them the odds-on favorites to win the West. What seems more likely, though, unless the Bulls just want to let Gordon walk away, is that San Antonio makes a move for Denver's JR Smith. Smith brings a lot of the same talent that Gordon has, but needs a little more structure to be successful. Gregg Popovich may be just the person to apply such structure.

I was about to post this. Idiot Hoopsworld(failure website) writer doesn't know that Vaughn is under contract, and not a free agent. Just that makes this article a failure.

He writes that the E-N talks about Gordon possibly a candidate for the spurs. He turned down a hell of alot of money to stay with Chicago last year, and if he still wants more money, then the Spurs have no chance at getting him.

Anything the the E-N writes, I'm pretty much either opposed to it, or most of us have already thought of it and they just seem to steal our ideas. E-N is a failure after Ludden took off.

nadroj117
07-01-2008, 05:22 PM
No chance, I'd much rather take J.R. Smith... What scares me is we stand pat with our draft picks and current vets. Roll the dice and lets get a Jax type of player back in Smith. Pop and Timmy can keep the kid under control

Big P
07-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Wow...amazing how the EN Spurs beatwriters have gone to sheit..

duncan228
07-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Is it coming from Monroe's column?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100253

Ben Gordon, Bulls, SG: Streaky shooter turned down a deal last summer that would have averaged $10.million over five seasons. Bad move. Mid-level exception is best he can hope for now. Bulls probably won’t match.

Steve-O-Matic
07-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Ben Gordon??

haha....too short for a SG.

Oh obviously, considering that he's only averaged 24 points per 40 minutes for his career.

Darkwaters
07-01-2008, 05:27 PM
I was about to post this. Idiot Hoopsworld(failure website) writer doesn't know that Vaughn is under contract, and not a free agent. Just that makes this article a failure.

Actually I believe Vaughn has a player option for this year. So he could be a FA.

bigdog
07-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Actually I believe Vaughn has a player option for this year. So he could be a FA.

Yes, but he didn't opt out. The deadline to opt out was yesterday, and it didn't happen.

ace3g
07-01-2008, 05:32 PM
won't happen since this is coming from hoopsworld, but if it did happen, I wouldn't be upset because he is a clutch shooter, he won so many games for the Bulls

waly.mg
07-01-2008, 05:44 PM
The Spurs with Manu and Gordon in the Clutch?

My godnessssssssssssss

We can´t lose a close game ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ

Brutalis
07-01-2008, 05:58 PM
I think Gordon would offer a couple different lineups for the Spurs to use and attack with.

When we get small balled especially. He is just inconsistent and would have to accept a secondary role with us.

WildcardManu
07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
*drools at the possibility of Gordon in Spurs silver and black*

Sigz
07-01-2008, 06:00 PM
That would be legit.

We don't add a "long" player, but we add a guy that can create his own shot and score at will.

Spur-Addict
07-01-2008, 06:00 PM
I think Gordon would offer a couple different lineups for the Spurs to use and attack with.

When we get small balled especially. He is just inconsistent and would have to accept a secondary role with us.

Gordon would be the sixth man in my opinion. That isn't anything he isn't used to. But, there are other teams with more cap space so who knows, we'll have to see.

Harry Callahan
07-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Gordon is dynamic. Good player.

SPURSGOAT
07-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Damn, Ben Gordon on the Spurs... ok I will stop dreaming now...

timvp
07-01-2008, 06:59 PM
The HoopsWorld servers need to be put out of their misery.

nil.ball
07-01-2008, 07:02 PM
they also reported luis scola would be playing in greece next year.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 07:04 PM
they also reported i signed a 2 year deal with the bobcats

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2008, 07:21 PM
they also reported i signed a 2 year deal with the bobcats

I thought I read that elsewhere as well. Did you not sign the deal?

rj215
07-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Hoopsworld also reports that Tim Duncan has decided to retire immediately and become a scuba instructor in the Virgin Islands.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 07:25 PM
I thought I read that elsewhere as well. Did you not sign the deal?

no i turn them down for more money from europe.

T Park
07-01-2008, 07:28 PM
no i turn them down for more money from europe.

Fuckin Splitter wannabe mother fucker :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Fuckin Splitter wannabe mother fucker :lol

:lol

tlongII
07-01-2008, 07:38 PM
You've got George Hill. You don't need Ben Gordon.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 07:39 PM
You've got George Hill. You don't need Ben Gordon.

That's true.

mrspurs
07-01-2008, 08:10 PM
either ben or jr. would help manu's minutes....but whos gonna help timmy....we come back with the same bigs as last season and imo...we lose more games...timmy needs help more then anyone in my imo.(his legs aint nowhere near 2 yrs ago much less last yr)..if timmy goes down we dont stand a chance...the rest of the west top teams will run all over us....even with timmy at full scale...the west top teams other then maybe denver, with still give us trouble....its proven already...we get beat in the paint more often then ever, and we get out rebounded more then ever...i dont see fab,horry,kurt,ian or bonner giving timmy much help at all...

Big P
07-01-2008, 08:13 PM
either ben or jr. would help manu's minutes....but whos gonna help timmy....we come back with the same bigs as last season and imo...we lose more games...timmy needs help more then anyone in my imo.(his legs aint nowhere near 2 yrs ago much less last yr)..if timmy goes down we dont stand a chance...the rest of the west top teams will run all over us....even with timmy at full scale...the west top teams other then maybe denver, with still give us trouble....its proven already...we get beat in the paint more often then ever, and we get out rebounded more then ever...i dont see fab,horry,kurt,ian or bonner giving timmy much help at all...

I hear ya, but I agree with what the Spurs & amost everyone here has been saying...we need youthful scoring on the wing, ie. a SF/SG..big men are always available, like Skinner, Foyle, Brown etc.

El Jefe
07-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Terrible idea. Just terrible.

Ben Gordon is a homeless man's Allen Iverson, and I'm not a big Iverson fan. You can keep your 6'1" shooting guard who takes 19 shots to get 20 points. I prefer to win.

angelbelow
07-01-2008, 08:20 PM
would he help? sure. is he a perfect fit? far from it. might have to pass unless all of our other options are exhausted.

0201rinckwater
07-01-2008, 08:24 PM
They also reported that Karl malone would be a Spur in 05

JamStone
07-01-2008, 08:28 PM
The National Enquirer confirms Hoopsworld report about Ben Gordon signing with the Spurs.

John_C
07-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Do we really need Ben Gordon? If we do try to get him, we make TP the point, and make Manu the SG. We have coming from the bench Finley and Barry (seems we'll be signing them soon again), Hill, Vaughn, and then Gordon.

Seems we have too much small ball going for us with Gordon in. And I think we do have the fire power in the Guard position anyways, why use our MLE in him?

Big P
07-01-2008, 08:54 PM

T Park
07-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Do we really need Ben Gordon? If we do try to get him, we make TP the point, and make Manu the SG. We have coming from the bench Finley and Barry (seems we'll be signing them soon again), Hill, Vaughn, and then Gordon.

Seems we have too much small ball going for us with Gordon in. And I think we do have the fire power in the Guard position anyways, why use our MLE in him?

Gordon would start at shooting guard.

He isn't coming though so the point is moot.

703 Spurz
07-01-2008, 09:32 PM

Just like big bad L.A. right?

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2008, 10:12 PM
we dont need ben, when we have tp who does exactly what he does

BOHOLANO#21
07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
pass on him. george hill is will do. we need bigs.

angelbelow
07-02-2008, 05:10 AM
pass on him. george hill is will do. we need bigs.

agreed.

wisnub
07-02-2008, 06:07 AM
Ben Gordon??

haha....too short for a SG...shoots too much for a PG....pass

wtf? Pass on Ben Gordon?? Forget what he's doin for Huskies and Bulls,that's just coincidence. Maybe its because we cannot afford him or perhaps George Hill will become much better PG (which i honestly pray hopefully it come true). But maybe the truth is we cannot afford Gordon....

wisnub
07-02-2008, 06:10 AM
Oh I dont think he's coming to SA either....

5in10
07-02-2008, 11:14 AM
i would take him just to keep the hornets away from him.

SpurAddict561
07-02-2008, 12:50 PM
[0] Defense....PASS