PDA

View Full Version : Baron Davis Verbally Agrees with Clippers

FromWayDowntown
07-01-2008, 07:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3470016

Davis verbally agrees to go to Clippers, leave Warriors

Baron Davis shocked the Warriors by opting out of his contract on Monday. Imagine their surprise now.
NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that the guard reached a verbal agreement with the Clippers on Tuesday night and will sign a new multiyear contract with Los Angeles after the leaguewide moratorium on signings and trades is lifted July 9.

Davis was in line to make $17.8 million in the last year of his deal with the Warriors, but after telling the team that he wanted to stay, opted out at the last minute.

Forward Elton Brand also opted out of his contract with the Clippers on Monday, and speculation quickly began that the team would try to keep Brand and sign Davis. This scenario is only possible if the Clippers renounce the rights of Corey Maggette and Brand takes a slight pay cut.

Maggette opted out of his deal on Monday as well.

Davis averaged 21.8 points, 7.6 assists and 4.7 rebounds last season for a Warriors team that won 48 games but did not make the playoffs.

T Park
07-01-2008, 07:33 PM
wow.

Just wow.

Adios maggette though.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Damn. Clippers definitely in the playoffs now.

T Park
07-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Damn. Clippers definitely in the playoffs now.

If theres a team with more bad luck, or more of a way to fuck it up, its the Clippers.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Looks like Maggette is going to have to settle for the MLE, unless he wants to go to Philly or Memphis.

Bruno
07-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Maggette to SA.

Big P
07-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Wow..Maggette is out of LA...Cory is exactly what the Spurs need.

MaNu4Tres
07-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Pop needs to get on the phone with Maggette and make reservations for the mariachi's and a room at the Westin La Cantera.

Sherlock Holmes
07-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Baron Davis shocked the Warriors by opting out of his contract on Monday. Imagine their surprise now.

Not really. Nothing suprising here. Spurs chances of nailing Barnes, Azubuike, maybe even Pietrus have dipped.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 07:39 PM
If theres a team with more bad luck, or more of a way to fuck it up, its the Clippers.

True dat but still.
Baron Davis, Elton Brand, and Chris Kaman? And Eric Gordon?
That team has to find a way into the playoffs.

rj215
looks like the Clips may have locked up the 7th or 8th seed next year....

vy65
What are the chances of us getting Maggs when he's expressed interest in Orlando, who will offer the same package as us .... plus Disneyworld.

Russ
07-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Wwo..Maggette is out of LA...Cory is exactly what the Spurs need.

Forget Smith and everybody else! :) (But Orlando probably gets him).

JamStone
07-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Baron Davis
Eric Gordon/Cat Mobley
Al Thornton
Elton Brand/Tim Thomas
Chris Kaman

Not too shabby.

Bruno
07-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Right now, only two teams will be able to offer more than the MLE to Maggette : Warriors and Sixers. If both don't want him (and it's quite likely), Spurs could be in the mix with the MLE.

Spurs have a lot of positive aspects to attract Maggette : Maggette liked SA, Spurs have tried to get him in the past, Chip Engelland, contender, a lot of playing time available...

T Park
07-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Maggette's path to Orlando just got easier.

dg7md
07-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Baron Davis
Eric Gordon/Cat Mobley
Al Thornton
Elton Brand/Tim Thomas
Chris Kaman

Not too shabby.

Clips look legit. That squad will be nice.

Big P
07-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Right now, only two teams will be able to offer more than the MLE to Maggette : Warriors and Sixers. If both don't want him (and it's quite likely), Spurs could be in the mix with the MLE.

Spurs have a lot of positive aspects to attract Maggette : Maggette liked SA, Spurs have tried to get him in the past, Chip Engelland, contender, a lot of playing time available...

While I am hopeful the Spurs at least express interest in Maggette, the truth is if he is going to take a MLE deal it will more than likely be in Orlando..he still has a home in Florida & his family is there..whats more is that Orlando is not a scrub team by any means & will be a playoff force for a few years IMO...while I agree Maggette would look sick in black & silver, it is most definitly a long shot..but one worth taking.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Why is everyone so sure Maggette is Orlando bound? In SA he'd start. In SA he'd have a much higher chance at a ring.

bigfish22
07-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Not trying to be a moderator or anything, but why don't these things ever go into the NBA forum?

T Park
07-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Why is everyone so sure Maggette is Orlando bound? In SA he'd start. In SA he'd have a much higher chance at a ring.

I think someone posted a story where he was speaking many times about how he wants to go back to orlando.

Big P
He would start in Orlando as well..

spursjustice
Damn, on individual talent alone, this puts the Clippers high up.

T Park
Not trying to be a moderator or anything, but why don't these things ever go into the NBA forum?

because it affects the Spurs.

Big P
07-01-2008, 07:48 PM

Because until players like Maggette sign somewhere, they are on the Spurs radar which makes very good fodder for the Spurs forum.

Bruno
He would start in Orlando as well..

At SG, that is to say out of position.

JamStone

He'd start in Orlando also. And, some players look at bigger picture, longterm.

Maggette's chance at a ring is better with the Spurs for next year, maybe the following year. Maybe he believes he'll make the Magic contenders and they'll be contenders for the duration of five year contract.

And, some players factor other things as well. He might just be more comfortable with certain teams over other teams.

T Park
07-01-2008, 07:49 PM
At SG, that is to say out of position.

He aint gonna start at SF in SA either.

timvp
07-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Not too surprising. After Nellie didn't play him in the second half of that must win game late in the season, the writing was on the wall that Ellis was the future at PG. When Davis opted out, the Clippers made sense due to Davis' history in LA.

This makes Maggette a tad bit more likely because he can't be sign and traded now ... but I still think it's a long shot. The Sixers could very likely offer him more. If a bunch of teams are only offering more than the MLE, I have a hard time imagining Maggette picking San Antonio. Maggette doesn't strike me as a player who will pick a ring before all else.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 07:51 PM
I wonder if the Spurs could do a sign and trade for Maggette.

Oberto, Bonner for Maggette?

Russ
07-01-2008, 07:52 PM

Thank you, Memphis Grizzlies.

Buddy Holly
Not too surprising. After Nellie didn't play him in the second half of that must win game late in the season, the writing was on the wall that Ellis was the future at PG. When Davis opted out, the Clippers made sense due to Davis' history in LA.

This makes Maggette a tad bit more likely because he can't be sign and traded now ... but I still think it's a long shot. The Sixers could very likely offer him more. If a bunch of teams are only offering more than the MLE, I have a hard time imagining Maggette picking San Antonio. Maggette doesn't strike me as a player who will pick a ring before all else.

LA can't s&t Maggette?

Bruno
He aint gonna start at SF in SA either.

He will start SF with Bowen starting at SG like in 2004 with Hedo.

xtremesteven33
all i know is spurs better do something...magette would be a perfect fit for us

T Park
07-01-2008, 07:53 PM
I wonder if the Spurs could do a sign and trade for Maggette.

Yikes, why would LA do that...

Aggie Hoopsfan

Don't try to be one then...

This affects the Spurs, as speculation has them targeting any possibilities of Barnes, Pietrus, and Azubuike.

This just complicated things greatly. Golden State can slide Ellis to the point, re-sign all those guys and have room at the 2/3 for all of them now. :depressed

T Park
He will start SF with Bowen starting at SG like in 2004 with Hedo.

well

all in name..

timvp
07-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Before this news, the chances of Maggette landing in SA were about .1%. Now it's probably up to about 1%.

T Park
Don't try to be one then...

This affects the Spurs, as speculation has them targeting any possibilities of Barnes, Pietrus, and Azubuike.

This just complicated things greatly. Golden State can slide Ellis to the point, re-sign all those guys and have room at the 2/3 for all of them now. :depressed

Sorry man, I know you wanted Kelenna :)

T Park
Before this news, the chances of Maggette landing in SA were about .1%. Now it's probably up to about 1%.

:lol

cue the dumb and dumber picture.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 07:55 PM

To get something, anything, in return for a departing Maggette.

Oberto is a nice backup and Bonner off the bench could space the floor for LA.

Bruno
07-01-2008, 07:56 PM
The Sixers could very likely offer him more.

I doubt it. They want to use their cap space to get a PF either via FA or trade.

SenorSpur
07-01-2008, 07:57 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. Davis just gave a big ol' middle finger to the Warriors. He walks and the Warriors get nothing. A cardinal mistake by a franchise that was supposedly on its way up. Serves Mullin and Nellie right.

bigfish22
because it affects the Spurs.

That's like saying a butterfly in Kansas flaps its wings and causes a typhoon in China. Whatever, post what you like where you like then I guess.

Aggie Hoopsfan

You don't understand how Sterling operates, do you? In his mind they aren't losing Magette for nothing, they lost him for Baron Davis.

T Park

Eh, I see what your saying, but I don't think the Spurs trade Oberto and Bonner, two bigs, for one shooting guard.

JamStone

That would make more sense if the Clippers didn't have every position still covered by at least one solid player. They lose Maggette on the wings but still have Mobley, Al Thornton, Quintin Ross and just drafted Eric Gordon. It's easier to let a good player walk for nothing if you have players to replace him at his position/s.

exstatic
07-01-2008, 07:58 PM
LA can't s&t Maggette?

They have to renounce his Bird Rights to clear the cap room for BDiddy to sign. Until then, even though he opted out, he counts like 150% of his last year's salary against their cap.

Mr.Bottomtooth

http://www.fraterslibertas.com/Images/Separated/dumb.jpg
So you're telling me there's a chance?!?

timvp
To get something, anything, in return for a departing Maggette.Again, Clippers can't sign and trade him. To sign Davis, they'll have to renounce Maggette.

T Park
That's exactly what I was thinking. Davis just gave a big ol' middle finger to the Warriors. He walks and the Warriors get nothing. A cardinal mistake by a franchise that was supposedly on its way up. Serves Mullin and Nellie right.

Amazing what a year does.

Last year at this time we were talking about how great the management of the Warriors was :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth

cue the dumb and dumber picture.

:bang

T Park
07-01-2008, 07:59 PM
:bang

I've been around here 6 years, its like a 85 mile an hour fastball down the middle my friend :lol

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 07:59 PM
They have to renounce his Bird Rights to clear the cap room for BDiddy to sign. Until then, even though he opted out, he counts like 150% of his last year's salary against their cap.

Ok, gotcha.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Again, Clippers can't sign and trade him. To sign Davis, they'll have to renounce Maggette.

Yeah, I thought with Brand opting out they had enough. Also, didn't Brand say he'd take less if they signed Baron?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I've been around here 6 years, its like a 85 mile an hour fastball down the middle my friend :lol

:flipoff :)

Bruno
I guess that Maggette will be looking for something like a 2 years full MLE contract with a player option on the second year.

Marcus Bryant
Maggette to SA.

:toast

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I guess that Maggette will be looking for something like a 2 years full MLE contract with a player option on the second year.

What a coincidence! The Spurs can give him a 2 years full MLE contract with a player option on the second year! :D

T Park
07-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I thought with Brand opting out they had enough. Also, didn't Brand say he'd take less if they signed Baron?

Yeah, which will happen.

I don't doubt Brand a bit.

Good to see him get some help, I like Elton, good guy.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2008, 08:03 PM
That's like saying a butterfly in Kansas flaps its wings and causes a typhoon in China. Whatever, post what you like where you like then I guess.

No. Azubuike, Barnes and Pietrus are potential free agents the Spurs could sign along with JR Smith, Carlos Defino, Corey Magette, etc.

When Davis opts out and signs with LA, that means GS now has the money and the incentive to resign those players.

Kindergarten Cop
07-01-2008, 08:04 PM

Done.

T Park

If thats what he wanted, the Spurs could give it.

Maggette was the perfect player 2 years ago, and still is today.

T Park
No. Azubuike, Barnes and Pietrus are potential free agents the Spurs could sign along with JR Smith, Carlos Defino, Corey Magette, etc.

When Davis opts out and signs with LA, that means GS now has the money and the incentive to resign those players.

Don Nelson said Barnes would NOT be coming back.

So that means Barnes is going to Sacramento I guess :lol

timvp
07-01-2008, 08:05 PM
I guess that Maggette will be looking for something like a 2 years full MLE contract with a player option on the second year.Why do you think he'll want that instead of a Beno contract? To test the open waters next summer?

The Derek Anderson plan didn't exactly work out to well the last time . . .

FromWayDowntown
07-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum -- the lack of attention paid to this thread should teach me my lesson about deciding where to post stories.

misterx91578

cuz they are the clippers:lol

angelbelow
the clippers resign brand, and they have a hell of a team.. they still have thornton and kaman, if he resign livingston for cheap, ross, they'll have a hell of a team.

SenorSpur
07-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Amazing what a year does.

Last year at this time we were talking about how great the management of the Warriors was :lol

So much for all the "We Believe" hype and the momentum built off the '07 playoffs. Looks like the Warriors are starting all over now.

Meanwhile, I was so very high on Maggette last season. Now I just he simply wants to go back to Orlando. While they have a promising team, any talk of him wanting to get a ring, is just plain talk.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum -- the lack of attention paid to this thread should teach me my lesson about deciding where to post stories.

Bruno
07-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Why do you think he'll want that instead of a Beno contract? To test the open waters next summer?

Right now his market value is higher than the MLE and he has always turned down contract extension offers from Clippers with the hope to sign a big fat one this summer. I doubt he will turned down his dreams and settle for a long term MLE contract.

Big P
07-01-2008, 08:10 PM
ESPN says 5 year $65 mil

bigfish22
07-01-2008, 08:14 PM

And until they hold a press conference to introduce these players as the newest Spur, Baron Davis to the Clips don't mean jack shit

Bruno
07-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Another effect of this trade is that Clipper could try to clear a max of cap space to sign both Brand and Davis.

They could dump Brevin Knight. Spurs have a TE big enough to take him. I'm not interested at all in him but Spurs could get a little something from Clippers like a pick.

You can also imagine a scenario around a Thomas for Bonner trade that could open a lot of cap space to Clippers.

mrspurs
07-01-2008, 08:16 PM

my first thoughts was when baron was benched by nellie...who would want to play for nellie anyways...he's just another karl....someone who gets front row seats and rarely gets up....sooner or later being cool doesnt cut it...i honestly believe most of the names mentioned want rings

Marcus Bryant
And the dominoes start to fall.

T Park
And until they hold a press conference to introduce these players as the newest Spur, Baron Davis to the Clips don't mean jack shit

Then don't post in the thread.

T Park
07-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Another effect of this trade is that Clipper could try to clear a max of cap space to sign both Brand and Davis.

They could dump Brevin Knight. Spurs have a TE big enough to take him. I'm not interested at all in him but Spurs could get a little something from Clippers like a pick.

You can also imagine a scenario around a Thomas for Bonner trade that could open a lot of cap space to Clippers.

man

Tim Thomas for Bonner?

I don't know who I want less.

angelbelow
07-01-2008, 08:21 PM
dude, this is intense, the clippers are right back, i just remembered they have gordon too.

timvp
07-01-2008, 08:23 PM
They could dump Brevin Knight. Spurs have a TE big enough to take him. I'm not interested at all in him but Spurs could get a little something from Clippers like a pick.Knight for Sofoklis Schortsanitis and second rounder :lol

If Snufalufagus can get under 300 pounds, he may be a player down the line. Although if I remember correctly, he's about 400 pounds right now.

More likely could be something like Knight and cash for a conditional second round pick. The cash would be enough to buy-out Knight and have a little something left over to actually make sure the Spurs' airplane is in functioning order next year in the playoffs.

Big P
07-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Hoopsworld has an article on BDavis joining the Clipps & this is at the end

"As for Corey Maggette, he would no longer be a candidate for a sign and trade. He'll probably land somewhere for the Mid Level Exception with teams like the Utah Jazz, Boston Celtics, San Antonio Spurs and Orlando Magic mentioned as possible suitors."

T Park
07-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah hes gonna go to Orlando.

Doubtfull he'd want to go to Utah.

If he considered SA, thats a win in itself.

timvp
07-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Doubtfull he'd want to go to Utah.Maggette has already signed with the Jazz once. The Clippers just matched the offer.

T Park
07-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Eh, I still don't see it.

El Jefe
07-01-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm intrigued by Maggette, but he's not exactly a great fit either. Shot 38.5% from 3 last year, which isn't terrible but won't replace Fin or Barry. Has the size to be an elite defender, but has played for the Clippers which means he doesn't have the will as of right now. Anyone care to comment on his quickness or his ability to get after it defensively? Been a while since I've seen him play.

bigdog
07-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Maggette wants to go to Orlando, but then Orlando would have to figure out who to start, since Turkoglu and Lewis are there, and they are trying to stay away from using Lewis at the small ball 4 spot. So, it could be a problem if Maggette ends up in Orlando.

T Park
07-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm intrigued by Maggette, but he's not exactly a great fit either. Shot 38.5% from 3 last year, which isn't terrible but won't replace Fin or Barry. Has the size to be an elite defender, but has played for the Clippers which means he doesn't have the will as of right now. Anyone care to comment on his quickness or his ability to get after it defensively? Been a while since I've seen him play.

Look at his numbers when he had Chip England as his shooting coach.

Much better numbers.

Das Texan
07-01-2008, 09:24 PM
baron davis proving you can indeed go home again.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Crap! another reason to do very well during the regular season... the west keeps getting more and more competitive

El Jefe
07-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Look at his numbers when he had Chip England as his shooting coach.

Much better numbers.

Do you know approx. when he was working with Chip? Glancing at his page on NBA.com, 38.5% is the high water mark from behind the arc, with 33% being his career rate.

45% total from the field last season was his high point too, disregarding the first two seasons of his career when he took very few 3's.

El Jefe
07-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Another thing to start thinking about. If Baron and Brand make the Clippers a legit playoff contender, who's dropping out of the west now? I think the Mavs better mesh with Carlisle very quickly, because if they don't and Kidd continues to decline, it could make the bottom of the race a bit close for comfort.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Another thing to start thinking about. If Baron and Brand make the Clippers a legit playoff contender, who's dropping out of the west now? I think the Mavs better mesh with Carlisle very quickly, because if they don't and Kidd continues to decline, it could make the bottom of the race a bit close for comfort.

My guess is the Nuggets.

El Jefe
07-01-2008, 10:10 PM
My guess is the Nuggets.

Also a strong possiblity

rj215
07-01-2008, 11:37 PM

The Nuggets will play selfishly as usual and drop out of the playoff picture.

'Superstars' you can't win titles with:

AI
Melo
Dirk
Kidd
Nash
Vince Carter
TMac

baseline bum
07-02-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm happy for the Clippers; especially Brand. Can't wait to see them next year.