PDA

View Full Version : Lakers interested in Barry

bigdog
07-02-2008, 01:09 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers2-2008jul02,0,4362357.story

Lakers interested in James Posey, Brent Barry
As the team waits to see how things play out with Sasha Vujacic and Ronny Turiaf, the fall-back plans include Celtics reserve small forward and Spurs veteran.
By Mike Bresnahan, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
July 2, 2008
The Lakers continue to wait for Sasha Vujacic and Ronny Turiaf, but they have fall-back plans in case their restricted free agents don't re-sign with them.

The Lakers have talked with representatives of Boston small forward James Posey and veteran San Antonio sharpshooter Brent Barry to gauge the free agents' interest.

Posey, a key reserve for the Celtics, is expected to draw the full mid-level exception of five years and about $30 million, though the Celtics have said they consider signing him an off-season priority.

Posey, though, is studying his options, primarily on championship contenders that include the Lakers, said his agent, Mark Bartelstein.

"I would say so," Bartelstein said. "When you get a taste of a championship, you want to keep winning them. The Lakers are a great team."

Posey, 31, averaged 6.7 points and 3.6 rebounds a game in the playoffs for the Celtics, including an 18-point outburst in the pivotal Game 4 of the NBA Finals. Posey was also on the Miami Heat team that won the championship in 2006.

Barry, 36, spent the last four seasons with the Spurs. He averaged 7.1 points last season, making a commendable 42.9% of his three-point attempts. He is a career 40.7% shooter from three-point range.

Vujacic and Turiaf remain priorities for the Lakers, though they are testing their worth around the league. The Lakers have the right to match any offer sheet they sign with another team.

[email protected]

T Park
07-02-2008, 01:12 AM
Fuck you lakers.

200 miles
07-02-2008, 01:14 AM
when i heard that Barry was opting out, I thought to myself: if he's not coming back, then at least anywhere but Houston

make that two places

damn

angelbelow
if they lose sasha, i expect them to make a great push for barry. with that said, i hope the lakers resign sasha, and overpaying him.

bigdog
Well, looks like everyone wants to fuck with the Spurs.

Brutalis
07-02-2008, 01:15 AM
:lol

Barry in a Lakers uniform... wowowowow.

200 miles
07-02-2008, 01:16 AM
please, Brent, do not go to THE ENEMY

Buddy Holly
07-02-2008, 01:16 AM
If his concern is playing time, which I doubt it is, then LA is the last place he'd go.

Big P
07-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Sign Maggette, fuck everything else.

John_C
07-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Hell, Barry would definitely give the Lakers a better edge than signing up Sasha. Can't have too many players in a team whining too much lol.

But I hope Barry doesn't go there even if they don't get Sasha.

MI21
07-02-2008, 01:27 AM
Jackson loves big PG's... Offensively I can see him finding minutes for Barry at PG.

He is also very basketball smart and I have a feeling that he would fit into the triangle very easily.

Spurtacus
07-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Fucking Fakers.

Damnit Brent, get your ass back in silver and black.

dknights411
07-02-2008, 04:15 AM
:lol

You know, I bet Lakers fan reacted like that when Robert Horry came over here in 2003.

spurscenter
07-02-2008, 04:21 AM
barry, lol

Biggems
07-02-2008, 06:22 AM
For the love of Erin..........re-sign with the Spurs Brent.

rj215
07-02-2008, 06:26 AM
who knows Brent might just beat around the bush and then end up with us for LLE...

1Parker1
07-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Whottt will be on watch if Barry signs with the Lakers. :lol

TJastal
07-02-2008, 07:40 AM
If he does sign up as a laker, I think that's defenitely sending a clear "fuck you" message. Although I don't think it would be directed at teammates, so much as the coach.

My theory - I think he felt underappreciated in last year's playoffs.

I think without a doubt he should been used much sooner in last year's playoffs, especially in light of Manu's progressively worsening injury and performance. And I'm pretty sure he felt that way too. Take for instance game 1 of the laker series after the spurs built up a 20+ pt lead. Ginobili was clearly hurting badly and his performance was becoming unbearable to watch. I kept saying to myself "Take Ginobili out. Take Ginobili out. C'mon Pop. He's playing like an idiot, please put Barry in and give him a rest" And this was in the 2nd quarter even!

So does Popovich make the smart move and take him out of the game?? Hell fucking no. Lakers come all the way back from 20 some points down, due in large part to Manu's erratic turnovers, missed shots, and dumb fouls. All the while Barry sits on the bench twiddling his thumbs like some scrub rookie. Never sees a minute in that game. Ginobili plays the entire game and the spurs lose.

After that game, of course that's when Popovich has his epiphany, "oh gee, I got Brent Barry maybe he could provide us some solid minutes in place of Manu". Well, Brent Barry sat on the bench 1 game too long in my estimation, most likely costing the spurs game 1 and homecourt advantage, and quite possibly the series.

Anyhow, that could be why Brent Barry is not going to re-sign with the spurs.

tav1
07-02-2008, 07:45 AM
I hate losing his 3 ball and spacing, but he's also great in terms of his handle and passing. It's a fairly big loss, much more so than Fin or Horry.

manufor3
07-02-2008, 07:55 AM
no barry, run away from the light!

mrspurs
07-02-2008, 08:00 AM
i had a good feeling big shot brick was rubbing off on brent...althought imo brent could outplay horry....brent is gonna go where the next championship might be won...just like big shot brick....oh well like i said b4, dont let the door hit ya on the way out(i was one of those few who couldnt care less if brent came back after the trade....deep down inside while watching teams kill our So Called Great defense i knew sooner or later we would get knocked out......with or without brent...

completely deck
07-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Calm down, people. Just because a team expresses interest doesn't make it so!

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Of course they are.

urunobili
07-02-2008, 08:03 AM
let them fix their Max contract petition by Bynum first and foremost... :devil

romsho
07-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Barry lives in Newport Beach in the offseason, I think. So unless he takes a huge downgrade financially, going there is not all that much of a reach. If he does not come back to the Spurs, it will be as much a function of Pop and Co. not really wanting him back as him looking for a big payday or having some beef with the organization.

Oh, Gee!!
07-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Will it change the price of beer at the AT&T Center if Barry leaves?

VaSpursFan
07-02-2008, 08:42 AM
i get the feeling that barry will be back in a spurs uni...i hope i'm right. oh yeah, piss on the lakers!!!!!!!!

Kindergarten Cop
07-02-2008, 08:43 AM

:vomit:

nkdlunch
07-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Barry is awesome. hope he stays Spur

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 09:05 AM
I wouldn't necessarily read anything Barry opting out. As it stood, he was guaranteed a minimum salary for one year. He can certainly get more in free agency as well as two years instead of one. I think he ends up with the LLE for two years, which would end up being about $4 mil guaranteed over two years. That's a lot better than $1.3 mil or what not over one with probably another minimum year or close to it if he re-signed for another year. Plus, it does give him some options with respect to where he plays next year, of course.

lotr1trekkie
07-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Barry opted out so he wouldn't be trade bait once again. I think he wants to stay here but would go to Houston and play without moving his family. He would be a very valuable bench player especially[hopefully] if Finley is let go. Conversely if Barry leaves Finley becomes more valuable as a sub. My guess is than Finley will want more than the vets minimum which is all he's worth. He's used to 18 mill a year and taking a tenth of that to come off the bench will be hard for Finley to swallow. Barry has his father's basketball IQ. We need to make an offer he can't refuse.