PDA

View Full Version : Spurs FA Priority

Brox6
07-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Nuggets to Compete with Nets, Spurs for JR Smith
LINK (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/01/point-guard-once-again-the-focus-of-free-agency/)

Denver wants to keep restricted free agent J.R. Smith. San Antonio is believed to be interested in the guard, and the Bergen County Record reported New Jersey has reached out.

--------------
Jarvis Hayes to Spurs?

And as for one of the Suns' top swingman targets, Jarvis Hayes, guess who else is interested in him? The Spurs. LINK (http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/27021)

----------

So I guess Spurs prioritized more on getting help on wings than looking for no. 2 PG or additional big men :rolleyes

L.I.T
07-02-2008, 06:47 AM
They drafted a no.2 and have a big man in the wings.

Bruno
07-02-2008, 07:04 AM
First, it's obvious that Spurs main priority is a wing player.

The FA pool is quite crappy as the PG and at the PF/C spots. I think Spurs will just try to sign Kurt Thomas and if they succeed in it, they won't do nothing else significant at the PG and PF/C spots.

The next step is to see what will happen in summer leagues :
If George Hill is good, there is no need to go after a backup PG.
If Hill sucks, Spurs could try to get a better backup PG than Vaughn via trade.
The same thing is true with Mahinmi at the PF/C spot.

tav1
07-02-2008, 08:12 AM
First, it's obvious that Spurs main priority is a wing player.

The FA pool is quite crappy as the PG and at the PF/C spots. I think Spurs will just try to sign Kurt Thomas and if they succeed in it, they won't do nothing else significant at the PG and PF/C spots.

The next step is to see what will happen in summer leagues :
If George Hill is good, there is no need to go after a backup PG.
If Hill sucks, Spurs could try to get a better backup PG than Vaughn via trade.
The same thing is true with Mahinmi at the PF/C spot.

Right on target as usual, Bruno.

In addition to Hill, I think the Spurs will watch Hairston very closely. He's could be a reliable 3 pt threat. Perhaps not this season, but next year. If that's the case, it softens the blow of losing Barry.

I'm trying to think through the combination of losing Barry and gaining Maggette. Net, the Spurs win in that exchange. But I have some concerns that they'll leave themselves short with regard to three point shooting. It's so vital to their offense. Other than Hairston and, maybe, Hill I'm not sure whom the Spurs could pick up via trade, free agency or trade exception to spread the floor.

If the Spurs resign Thomas, introduce Mahinmi and bag Maggette, I think their rebounding is solid. Hill's college numbers also suggest he'll be a good rebounding point. Still, their shot blocking is in need of a little boost.

All in all, gain Maggette, lose Barry, the two off season obstacles that remain are more shooting and someone to rebound and protect the rim.

I really hope Hairston pans out. He could fill gaps.

Bruno
07-02-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm trying to think through the combination of losing Barry and gaining Maggette. Net, the Spurs win in that exchange. But I have some concerns that they'll leave themselves short with regard to three point shooting. It's so vital to their offense. Other than Hairston and, maybe, Hill I'm not sure whom the Spurs could pick up via trade, free agency or trade exception to spread the floor.

If Hill is the backup PG, he should bring some additional shooting (he should eb a better shooter than Vaughn).

I expect Spurs going after a shooter if they get Maggette. It could be a player like Finley, Barry, Jarvis Hayes, Gordan Giricek or Roger Mason.

If Spurs get Maggette, you can imagine as active roster for the season opener the following roster :

PG : Parker / Hill
SG : Bowen / Ginobili / a shooter
SF : Maggette / Udoka
PF : Oberto / Mahinmi / Bonner
C : Duncan / Thomas

That's a damn great roster.

tav1
07-02-2008, 09:07 AM
If Hill is the backup PG, he should bring some additional shooting (he should eb a better shooter than Vaughn).

I expect Spurs going after a shooter if they get Maggette. It could be a player like Finley, Barry, Jarvis Hayes, Gordan Giricek or Roger Mason.

If Spurs get Maggette, you can imagine as active roster for the season opener the following roster :

PG : Parker / Hill
SG : Bowen / Ginobili / a shooter
SF : Maggette / Udoka
PF : Oberto / Mahinmi / Bonner
C : Duncan / Thomas

That's a damn great roster.

Agreed.

I'm not sure Bowen will start at the 2, though. But he might. That's something to watch unfold. And, of course, Hill and Mahinmi are big question marks.

I just posted elsewhere that with the addition of Maggette, James Jones makes all kinds of sense, but at about 3 million more than we can spend. The highly improbable sign and trade of Bonner plus a second round pick or two for Jones would make the above roster league best.

Of the names you mention, I like Giricek for his three point shooting.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any of our previously mentioned trade exceptions possibles that would off set the loss of Barry's shooting.

tav1
07-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Agreed.

I'm not sure Bowen will start at the 2, though. But he might. That's something to watch unfold. And, of course, Hill and Mahinmi are big question marks.

I just posted elsewhere that with the addition of Maggette, James Jones makes all kinds of sense, but at about 3 million more than we can spend. The highly improbable sign and trade of Bonner plus a second round pick or two for Jones would make the above roster league best.

Of the names you mention, I like Giricek for his three point shooting.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any of our previously mentioned trade exceptions possibles that would off set the loss of Barry's shooting.

Responding to myself, what about Walter Herrman for the LLE or TE? Gets more in Europe? Yes, probably. But he's a decent 3 pt shooter, plays hard, and could board a little. I think he's a much better option than Hayes, which befuddles me. Yes, he's the one the Spurs should target if they sign C-Mags and lose Barry-boy. No question.

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2008, 10:13 AM
how about devin brown for the minimum?

bigdog
07-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Nuggets to Compete with Nets, Spurs for JR Smith
LINK (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/01/point-guard-once-again-the-focus-of-free-agency/)

Denver wants to keep restricted free agent J.R. Smith. San Antonio is believed to be interested in the guard, and the Bergen County Record reported New Jersey has reached out.

--------------
Jarvis Hayes to Spurs?

And as for one of the Suns' top swingman targets, Jarvis Hayes, guess who else is interested in him? The Spurs. LINK (http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/27021)

----------

So I guess Spurs prioritized more on getting help on wings than looking for no. 2 PG or additional big men :rolleyes

Why in the world would we need any more PGs? Consider Mahinmi as our big man addition.

The Spurs and their FO, and even a couple of players have said that their main need is an athletic wing player, and it's obvious that their main goal and priority is to get one.

Bruno
07-02-2008, 10:52 AM
tav1 : it's quite depend on the role you want to give to the 5th swingman. I think Spurs should get a player to play a Steve Kerr like role. I'm not looking for someone who isn't good or great but for a player able to step up for few minutes in a game to shoot a couple of 3's.

James Jones is a quite interesting player but he is too good and too expensive for that role. Hermann isn't really a shooter.

tav1
07-02-2008, 10:57 AM
tav1 : it's quite depend on the role you want to give to the 5th swingman. I think Spurs should get a player to play a Steve Kerr like role. I'm not looking for someone who isn't good or great but for a player able to step up for few minutes in a game to shoot a couple of 3's.

James Jones is a quite interesting player but he is too good and too expensive for that role. Hermann isn't really a shooter.

Herrmann has shot 40% on 3 balls since coming into the association. I know he's not James Jones or Brent Barry, but he seems like our most servicable option in terms of forwards who can spread the floor a little. And he brings some of those Argentine intangibles that seem to work for the Spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2008, 10:57 AM
tav1 : I think Spurs should get a player to play a Steve Kerr like role. I'm not looking for someone who isn't good or great but for a player able to step up for few minutes in a game to shoot a couple of 3's.

how about the magic player who was from duke, wtf is his name? i dont think his in the magics plans JJ REDICK

timvp
07-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Herrmann is too slow to guard small forwards. You have to play him at power forward. He'd basically be Bonner with longer hair in the Spurs system.

tav1
07-02-2008, 10:59 AM
how about the magic player who was from duke, wtf is his name? i dont think his in the magics plans JJ REDICK

No, he stinks.

And Herrmann could play the 4 in small ball sets. If we get Maggette, my mind is made up on Herrmann.

Bruno
07-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Herrmann has shot 40% on 3 balls since coming into the association.

Herrmann isn't a shooter in the same way Udoka and Bowen aren't shooter. He can just hit some corners 3's.

tav1
07-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Herrmann is too slow to guard small forwards. You have to play him at power forward. He'd basically be Bonner with longer hair in the Spurs system.

I thought of that, but he doesn't really guard anyone that well. For spot minutes, I'll live with his slow feet. If Pop played him, it would be for scrappyness and spacing in limited minutes. But you're right, he's dragging lead blocks around at his ankles.

wisnub
07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
let's make some offers....we talk too much

ChumpDumper
07-02-2008, 02:57 PM
It's been one (1) day.

Tully365
07-02-2008, 03:01 PM

The more direct approach would be to slip Bonner $50 to grow his hair out... an intriguing possibility....

Bartleby
07-02-2008, 03:06 PM
sure . . . as long as he doesn't start looking like a red-haired Chris Kaman.

Tully365
07-02-2008, 04:12 PM
sure . . . as long as he doesn't start looking like a red-haired Chris Kaman.

I dunno, maybe the uglier the better-- keeps defenders away.

mrspurs
07-02-2008, 04:41 PM
unless we grab kobe.(and that aint happening)....timmy being alone again will bring back the same season we had last yr.....nada