PDA

View Full Version : Gerald Green to the Mavs

Findog
07-02-2008, 08:20 AM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=6892540&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

Free agent guard Gerald Green has agreed to a one-year contract with the Dallas Mavericks. Green, a first round pick of the Boston Celtics in 2005, was part of the trade that sent Kevin Garnett from Minnesota to Boston. The Timberwolves traded Green to Houston last season. He played in one game for his home town team before being released.

Green was the NBA Slam-Dunk Champion at the 2007 All-Star Game.

"We have a verbal agreement with Dallas on a one year contract," said Colin Bryant, Green's agent in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "We talked to a number of teams and there is more money out there, but this is the best situation for Gerald at this point in his career."

Green went from high school to the NBA. He played at Gulf Shores Academy in Houston.

Bryant believes the Mavericks coaching staff can help Green build a solid foundation.

"With (Head) Coach (Rick) Carlisle and Mario Elie, they will be vital to Gerald's development," Bryant said. "Playing for the Mavericks will help elevate his game."

Elie is a Mavericks assistant coach.

In three years in the NBA Green has averaged 8.1 points and 1.8 rebounds a game.

Findog
07-02-2008, 08:21 AM
For the vet minimum and none of the MLE, this is a great signing. Young, athletic player to run with Kidd, and pretty much no risk. An anti-Avery move. Now please resign Antoine Wright Donnie.

Is Azubukke a lock to return to GS now that they have plenty of cap room to resign him?

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2008, 08:31 AM
i hope green is not one of those players that hop around the league playin for minimum contracts...a player with that much talent is wasted on the court...

monosylab1k
07-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Hey, we signed The Second Coming........................of Harold Miner! Sweet!

Dallas might have their first ever Dunk Contest championship! Finley got robbed and Tony Dumas sucked! Gerald will bring it home!

Findog
07-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey, we signed The Second Coming........................of Harold Miner! Sweet!

Dallas might have their first ever Dunk Contest championship! Finley got robbed and Tony Dumas sucked! Gerald will bring it home!

Dallas needs to fill roster spots. I'd way rather have this guy than the rotting corpses of Juwan Howard, Eddie Jones and Jerry Stackhouse.

lebomb
07-02-2008, 08:41 AM
I think this was a good move as well. 1yr. contract.....for a minimal amount of money.

monosylab1k
07-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Dallas needs to fill roster spots. I'd way rather have this guy than the rotting corpses of Juwan Howard, Eddie Jones and Jerry Stackhouse.

I would too, but this better be a very minor deal in a very active offseason for the Mavs. If by training camp Donnie & Cuban's big rallying cry is "Gerald Green is this year's Brandon Bass!" I'll just jump onto the Clippers bandwagon.

Findog
07-02-2008, 08:43 AM
I would too, but this better be a very minor deal in a very active offseason for the Mavs. If by training camp Donnie & Cuban's big rallying cry is "Gerald Green is this year's Brandon Bass!" I'll just jump onto the Clippers bandwagon.

They better not be done, I agree.

Findog
07-02-2008, 08:44 AM
If Maggette is about to sign with the Spurs for the full MLE, then the Mavs should try to get Azubuikke from GS.

Indazone
07-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Well Green can have his cake and eat it too. Right next to Juwan Howard on the bench.

Supergirl
07-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Green has tremendous potential, but I have always wondered why he's bounced around so much in his short career. Celtics liked him a lot initially, then dropped him very quickly.

Still it's a relatively low risk move with the potential to pay dividends for the Mavericks.

DaDakota
07-02-2008, 09:25 AM
GG is a great talent, but has not matured, let's hope he gets it together this year.

DD

stretch
07-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Still it's a relatively low risk move with the potential to pay dividends for the Mavericks.

agreed. if he is serious about trying to make it in the NBA, he is going to have to play his ass off this year or his career might be done for. that could be a very very good thing, considering this is possibly the Mavs last chance to win a title with this core, and we need a player with his youth, athletcism, and shooting.

DaDakota
07-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Playing with Jason Kidd is 100% the right move for GG, he could be a starter for the Mavs.......

If they are truly going to commit to running having him and Josh filling the lanes on the wings is a very deadly two man combo....and Dirk trailing for the 3........dang.....it makes me ill.

DD

Findog
07-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Playing with Jason Kidd is 100% the right move for GG, he could be a starter for the Mavs.......

If they are truly going to commit to running having him and Josh filling the lanes on the wings is a very deadly two man combo....and Dirk trailing for the 3........dang.....it makes me ill.

DD

The Mavs still have a lot of holes in their roster. They still need to address the lack of size and scoring at the 2 and a lack of another defensive big.

MavDynasty
07-02-2008, 09:35 AM
we still got george/stack for trading pieces + MLE=fuck yeah

DaDakota
07-02-2008, 09:54 AM
The Mavs still have a lot of holes in their roster. They still need to address the lack of size and scoring at the 2 and a lack of another defensive big.

GG is a 6'8" shooting guard with a 45"+ vertical, isn't that enough size for you guys at the 2?

What do you want Manute Bol at SG?

;)

DD

Findog
07-02-2008, 09:55 AM
GG is a 6'8" shooting guard with a 45"+ vertical, isn't that enough size for you guys at the 2?

What do you want Manute Bol at SG?

;)

DD

Well, maybe he'll pull a Josh Hamilton and put it all together, in which case he'd be a steal, but Boston, Minnesota and Houston have all given up on him, so I want some insurance in case he washes out here as well.

MavDynasty
07-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Well, maybe he'll pull a Josh Hamilton and put it all together, in which case he'd be a steal, but Boston, Minnesota and Houston have all given up on him, so I want some insurance in case he washes out here as well.

its a low risk-high reward thing so it doesnt really matter if he doesnt pan out, we spent the vet min on him.

Findog
07-02-2008, 09:59 AM
its a low risk-high reward thing so it doesnt really matter if he doesnt pan out, we spent the vet min on him.

Yeah, I know, but you can't sign just Gerald Green and pronounced yourself fit at the SG position.

Shank
07-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I know, but you can't sign just Gerald Green and pronounced yourself fit at the SG position.

Hopefully, they'll re-sign Antoine Wright and see what he can do at the 2-3 positions. Aside from nabbing Maggette, I'd be happy with letting Wright get the opportunity. I think the kid has something and will be an asset.

SynicFan
07-02-2008, 10:04 AM

No...I think the Mavwrecks are good.
Close the checkbook Q-bun.

Findog
07-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Hopefully, they'll re-sign Antoine Wright and see what he can do at the 2-3 positions. Aside from nabbing Maggette, I'd be happy with letting Wright get the opportunity. I think the kid has something and will be an asset.

They need to hire Calvin Hill away from the Cowboys or do whatever it is the Cowboys do when they bring in a TO or a Tank Johnson, and I don't think Adam Jones will have any trouble off the field either. I think Green is walking into the best possible situation for him with Kidd and Dirk. And I am waiting on pins and needles for them to resign AW. That guy has a chance to be a real contributor next year. And I'd love to see if there's anyway they can split the MLE between Diop and Azubuikke, but the Warriors can probably resign him without any trouble at all now that Davis's $17 million is off their books next year.

stretch
07-02-2008, 10:09 AM

honestly, if he plays to his potential, i wouldnt mind starting GG at the 2. he definitely has size, and his athleticism and scoring abilities are very very good. again, thats IF he plays to his potential.

i would still be very interested if we could find a way to trade howard for Shawn Marion. his hustle, defense, rebounding, athleticism, and ability to take easy buckets from guys like Kidd and Dirk would be very nice to have. plus teams would be forced to put guys like Bowen, Posey, etc... on him, otherwise it will be a dunkfest, thus resulting in easier matchups for Dirk.

Shank
07-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Splitting the MLE between any of the following would give me a semi:

Diop
Patty O'Bryant
Azubukkake
Barnes
Pietrus
James Jones
Tony Allen
Telfair

With as little as the Mavs have to work with, they'd better be frugal and astute in their signings. They only get one chance to fuck this up. Better make it good.

Findog
07-02-2008, 10:10 AM
honestly, if he plays to his potential, i wouldnt mind starting GG at the 2. he definitely has size, and his athleticism and scoring abilities are very very good. again, thats IF he plays to his potential.

i would still be very interested if we could find a way to trade howard for Shawn Marion. his hustle, defense, rebounding, athleticism, and ability to take easy buckets from guys like Kidd and Dirk would be very nice to have. plus teams would be forced to put guys like Bowen, Posey, etc... on him, otherwise it will be a dunkfest, thus resulting in easier matchups for Dirk.

I don't know that you could get Marion here except for the price of Howard + Terry, and I don't like that. There's not much on our roster that they would want.

stretch
07-02-2008, 10:10 AM

i hope so too. he definitely has some skills.

Findog
07-02-2008, 10:12 AM

Diop
Patty O'Bryant
Azubukkake
Barnes
Pietrus
James Jones
Tony Allen
Telfair

With as little as the Mavs have to work with, they'd better be frugal and astute in their signings. They only get one chance to fuck this up. Better make it good.

Instead of going out there and overpaying for a bit past their prime "name" player, like they've done oh so many times with Juwan Howard, Nick Van Exel and Jason Kidd, they should use the MLE on young guys with potential like they did with Brandon Bass.

DaDakota
07-02-2008, 10:12 AM
GG needed to get away from his local hometown crew in Houston, they were a bad influence, the Rockets had a chat with him about being a professional, and it seemed to have sunk in.......Dallas may be getting a high lottery talent for very little money.

With Gerald it is all a matter of committment, if ...IF...he is commmitted......he can be awesome......if he hangs around and continues to miss practices and pollute his body, he will be another statistic.

DD

MavDynasty
07-02-2008, 10:14 AM

Diop
Patty O'Bryant
Azubukkake
Barnes
Pietrus
James Jones
Tony Allen
Telfair

:lmao

stretch
07-02-2008, 10:14 AM

Diop
Patty O'Bryant
Azubukkake
Barnes
Pietrus
James Jones
Tony Allen
Telfair

I wouldnt mind splitting it between Diop and Azzibuke or whatever his name is. we gotta get Diop back though, to fix our poor second unit interior defense. i wouldnt mind james jones either, that dude can fuckin shoot. tony allen is a nice athletic guy, but if we get Wright back, and already have Green, i dont see much room for him. either him or wright would be nice. but wright would probably be cheaper, plus he is already somewhat established in our team. id say stay loyal.

Shank
07-02-2008, 10:15 AM
GG needed to get away from his local hometown crew in Houston, they were a bad influence, the Rockets had a chat with him about being a professional, and it seemed to have sunk in.......Dallas may be getting a high lottery talent for very little money.

With Gerald it is all a matter of committment, if ...IF...he is commmitted......he can be awesome......if he hangs around and continues to miss practices and pollute his body, he will be another statistic.

DD

I think if they can get 10-12 minutes, 8 points, 6 boards and good hustle and defense out of him, then it's a steal. I think it's too much to expect All-Star results from a guy that was on the street just days ago. I'll curb my enthusiasm until he actually makes the roster. (cue the theme song)

monosylab1k
07-02-2008, 10:36 AM

Diop
Patty O'Bryant
Azubukkake
Barnes
Pietrus
James Jones
Tony Allen
Telfair

The only guys I like on that list are Diop, Allen, and Azabblulikkibluke. If the Mavs sign that faggot Matt Barnes I will officially become a Clippers Fan For Life.

MavDynasty
07-02-2008, 10:42 AM
The only guys I like on that list are Diop, Allen, and Azabblulikkibluke. If the Mavs sign that faggot Matt Barnes I will officially become a Clippers Fan For Life.

we can be the Dallas Cowboys and sign thugs onto our team.

DaDakota
07-02-2008, 10:50 AM
I think if they can get 10-12 minutes, 8 points, 6 boards and good hustle and defense out of him, then it's a steal. I think it's too much to expect All-Star results from a guy that was on the street just days ago. I'll curb my enthusiasm until he actually makes the roster. (cue the theme song)

A wise approach concerning Gerald, but the Josh Hamilton reference could be spot on....he is an amazingly talented player, when his mind is right.

DD

Shank
07-02-2008, 10:54 AM

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/mdamon.jpg

Maaaaaaaatt Baaaaaaaaarnes

monosylab1k
07-02-2008, 10:56 AM
best case scenario is that Green gets his shit together and adds a little bulk so that he can play SF. Or play him at SG as long as we have a guy like Azubulkjkljljeike. As long as we have someone new at SF then I'm happy.

Shank
07-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Mono, you're free to have some fun in the "what jkidd said about avery" thread. The door is wide open for you.

MavDynasty
07-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Mono, you're free to have some fun in the "what jkidd said about avery" thread. The door is wide open for you.

:lol

SynicFan
07-02-2008, 11:05 AM
we can be the Dallas Cowboys and sign thugs onto our team.

say what you want about who they sign...
the fact is, on the field, they produce.

MavDynasty
07-02-2008, 11:06 AM
say what you want about who they sign...
the fact is, on the field, they produce.

yeah and off the field they go to clubs and shoot people

SynicFan
07-02-2008, 11:07 AM
yeah and off the field they go to clubs and shoot people

not once they become Cowboys...

ChumpDumper
07-02-2008, 11:16 AM
By November his vertical should be 76".

GuerillaBlack
07-02-2008, 11:43 AM
GG is a great talent, but has not matured, let's hope he gets it together this year.

DD

Uh...let's not! :)

With the Rockets luck, Green will probably be have All-Star like games against them. But honestly, if he couldn't make it a month with the Rockets, AND THEN couldn't sign with a single team after that, then there is something wrong with the guy. He has a ton of athletic ability, but he has a low understanding of the game.

But I say, Greene > Green. :)

SynicFan
07-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Greene > Green. :)

I 100% AGREE!

Findog
07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
And lest we get too excited about Gerald Green, Ball Don't Lie brings us this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Gerald-Green-gets-another-chance?urn=nba,91583

During a Wolves' timeout in the second quarter, Gerald Green spent the entire time well removed from the circular huddle, where, you know, he might glean some information that would improve on his reputation for not knowing where to go in the offensive and defensive sets. Instead Green was conversing with the injured Ratliff near the end of the bench. Twelve seconds after play resumed, Gomes picked up his third foul and with McCants also saddled with three, Sichting sent Green into the game. Thirty eight seconds after that, Green receives a pass just over center court from McCants for his first touch. Kobe and Lakers' rookie Jarvis Crittenton immediately sneak up behind Green and knock the ball from his grasp, resulting in a ruthlessly gorgeous, but rather embarrassing to Green, breakaway slam by Kobe. Two or three years from now, Gerald Green will be back in his old neighborhood, alternately bragging about his NBA career and complaining how he got screwed because nobody gave him a chance to play.

It sounds like he's got a lot of talent and has super upside, but there's a reason he was available for the vet minimum. Hopefully he can pull himself together.

Tippecanoe
07-02-2008, 01:01 PM
suckas

dallaskd
07-02-2008, 01:04 PM
I like it but i would still start Terry at the 2.

Shank
07-02-2008, 01:11 PM
suckas

For the vet minimum, it's a harmless move.

stretch
07-02-2008, 01:13 PM
I like it but i would still start Terry at the 2.

i dunno. terry seems like a perfect 6th man kind of player. scoring guard that is explosive and can shoot. his scoring abilities can take some pressure off other backups, and lets them have a guy that can bail them out, as he is one of the better "bail out/last second" shooters in the league.

1Parker1
07-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Not sure if Rick Carlise has the patience to mold him or even play him.

Still, it's a reasonable contract. If this guy ever gets his act together, he could be really, really good.

Ghazi
07-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Great move because of how small of an investment it is. If we would've dipped into the MLE, that would've been vexing.