PDA

View Full Version : In other news....The Blazers sign Rudy!

tlongII
07-02-2008, 10:18 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/121496911232190.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

Blazers, Spanish guard Fernandez reach deal
The talented playmaker with an admiration for Clyde Drexler is eager to contribute to the team
Wednesday, July 02, 2008
JOE FREEMAN
The Oregonian Staff
He hails from a different continent, some 5,600 miles away, but it appears Rudy Fernandez has always had an affinity for the Portland Trail Blazers.
Growing up in Spain, Fernandez looked west to the United States for boyhood basketball idols. And one of the players he identified with was one of Portland's most revered.
"I had a poster of (Clyde) Drexler in my room . . . when I was 10 or 11 years old," the 23-year-old Fernandez said. "I like him."
Fernandez reached an agreement Tuesday to leave the Spanish ACB League and join Drexler's former team. Fernandez had announced his intentions to become a Blazer during a news conference from Badalona, Spain, in early June, but it did not become official until Tuesday, the first day he could sign a contract under NBA rules.
During a teleconference with Portland media, Fernandez said he was excited to play with All-Star Brandon Roy, and eager to call Portland home and to fulfill his lifelong NBA dreams. But perhaps most important for Blazers fans was this: Although Fernandez acknowledged that he faces language and cultural barriers with a move to the United States, he is optimistic that his basketball ability will translate favorably to the NBA.
"I think the most important thing for me is to learn the language because I want communication for the team and I want to understand everything, the coach and everything," Fernandez said. "(But) I'm not nervous because I think it's my dream to play in the NBA. I love to play basketball. I'm not nervous because I play the best sport in the world for me.
"I go to the NBA for one experience (and that's to) play. I think I'm prepared to play in the NBA."
Such confidence should only expand the sky-high expectations for the 6-foot-6 shooting guard among Blazers fans, who anticipate Fernandez's Spanish League statistics to transform instantly to the NBA.
Fernandez, acquired by the Blazers during a 2007 draft day trade with the Phoenix Suns, has played the past seven seasons with DKV Joventut Badalona in the ACB League. Last season, when he won multiple tournament MVP awards, Fernandez averaged 21.2 points, 3.1 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 2.2 steals and shot 41.0 percent from three-point range.
Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard said Fernandez brings superb shooting, passing and playmaking abilities to the Blazers, and Pritchard seemed particularly intrigued by the vision of Fernandez lobbing alley-oop passes to Greg Oden, LaMarcus Aldridge and Travis Outlaw. After some NBA seasoning, Pritchard speculated, Fernandez could be a key component to the strong foundation the rising franchise already possesses.
But Pritchard also acknowledged that expectations are a bit inflated for the Spanish sensation.
"We know Rudy has got to come over here and learn the NBA game," Pritchard said. "It's different. We all know that. On the international court he's had huge successes. But it'll be a challenge to learn (the NBA game). How fast he learns will depend on a lot of factors. What I think is good, one of the things that will help us and help Rudy, is that he can learn from some of the best players in the league, (including) Brandon Roy. I see them playing together very well in the backcourt."
Fernandez has played for the Spanish National Team for years and figures to be a key contributor on the team during the upcoming Summer Olympics. He said he plans to arrive in Portland for the first time after the Olympics.
And he will do so after forfeiting millions of dollars to sign with the Blazers. Fernandez will enter the NBA on its rookie salary scale and will be locked into a four-year deal that will net just under $1 million next season, with gradual increases over the next three years. Fernandez had more lucrative offers from European club teams but said the lure of fulfilling his NBA dream was too much to pass up.
"For me, now, in this moment, the money is not as important," Fernandez said. "My dream is to play in the NBA and I think (with) Portland I have an opportunity now. It's my opportunity to learn to play with the best players in the world."
This sacrifice is indicative of the player the Blazers officially landed Tuesday, according to Pritchard.
"I think it shows what kind of kid this is," Pritchard said. "He's willing to accept less money to come here and try to win a championship. Today is a great day for the organization."

SynicFan
07-02-2008, 10:20 AM
that Blazer team could be full of stars in a few years.

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2008, 10:23 AM
nice signing, fukn splitter should learn from this, dreams bitch, there is so m uch money in the world that you cant earn all of it

MavDynasty
07-02-2008, 10:24 AM
lol tiago splitter

hater
07-02-2008, 10:26 AM
goddam blazers are deep

MavDynasty
07-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Damn portland....can you say rings?

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 12:03 PM
portland begins winning championships in 2010

lefty
07-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Wow

spursreport
07-02-2008, 12:10 PM
In other news.....Greg Oden is injury prone. He couldnt stay healthy for a college season so what makes anyone think he can during an 82 game season?

The Blazers are being highly overrated. Oden has to stay healthy (something he has yet to prove) before the Blazers start getting any kind of championship talk. When Oden can actually stay healthy along with the Blazers actually making the playoffs and a actually getting past the 1st round, then you can have something of talks of being any kind of serious threat to winning a championship.

Ghazi
07-02-2008, 03:07 PM
if Oden doesn't stay healthy, the Blazers are nothing more than a glorified soft jump shooting team. However if Oden does stay healthy, that's pretty damn scary.

T Park
07-02-2008, 04:09 PM
lol tiago splitter

lol Dallas Mavericks

bigfish22
07-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Not trying to be a hater, but didn't the Blazers earlier this decade show us that overstacking a team doesn't = championships?

Nevertheless, it will be fun to watch you guys play. I wish you and you're young crew of stars the best of luck

manufor3
07-03-2008, 08:01 AM
rudy's pretty good. nice signing

picnroll
07-03-2008, 09:38 AM
What's this I hear about the Blazers being the most likely team to move to Seattle?