bigdog
07-02-2008, 10:45 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9329

Report: Maggette Off the Market?

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 7/2/08 10:14 AM ET | 593 times read
Increase Font Size
Decrease Font Size
Adjust font size:
No player has been more sought after or talked about this summer than Corey Maggette. Most of the teams who feel they have a legitimate shot at winning a title in the near future have talked about him being the missing piece that would put them over the top. The Orlando Magic were the most recent team to make a play, but teams like Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio have also been hot on his trail.

According to multiple reports this morning Maggette will, indeed, wind up in the Texas Triangle, and he could very well turn out to be the piece that gets his new team a championship. If all goes according to plan, Maggette will finally join the San Antonio Spurs, who were very much in love with him a couple of seasons ago when his last contract came up.

Maggette was not completely against returning to the Clippers, but behind closed doors it seems there was a mutual understanding that splitting the sheets was the best move. LA's move to steal Baron Davis away from the Golden State Warriors was the final indicator that Maggette's days in LA are finished.

For now, Spurs fans can start to think about Finals tickets once again . . .and get in line for your Corey Maggette jersey.

It won't be #50.

timvp
07-02-2008, 10:46 AM
:pctoss

There goes any shot at Maggette.

On to JR Smith . . .

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
07-02-2008, 10:46 AM
:pctoss

There goes any shot at Maggette.

On to JR Smith . . .

Yeah... my first reaction was. "Shiiiiiiiiiit"

TheProfessor
07-02-2008, 10:47 AM
A little too much qualifying in that article.

oligarchy
Hoopsworld is always spot on. I believe it.

bigdog
It would be funny if Ingram actually got it right this time, and I hope that's the case, but then again, it's Bill Ingram.

Just keep your fingers crossed.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Death. Knell.

timvp
07-02-2008, 10:49 AM
It would be funny if Ingram actually got it right this time, and I hope that's the case, but then again, it's Bill Ingram.

Just keep your fingers crossed.It wouldn't even really be a matter of "getting it right". All HoopsWorld does is either find or make up rumors and then present those rumors as fact. If it doesn't end up as fact, they delete the story and act like it never existed.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 10:49 AM
The Spurstalk reverse jinx runner-up strikes again...

Kori Ellis
07-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Okay, not to fuel the fire but I heard that Pop was in San Diego yesterday talking to someone.

Maggette hangs in San Diego in the offseason (his wife is from there, he got married there, etc).

So ...

bigdog
07-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Okay, not to fuel the fire but I heard that Pop was in San Diego yesterday talking to someone.

Maggette hangs in San Diego in the offseason (his wife is from there, he got married there, etc).

So ...

there is hope.....

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-02-2008, 10:52 AM
HoopsWorld: The Ultimate C*ck Blockers

Sausage
07-02-2008, 10:53 AM
This would be huge! I've always been a fan of Maggette's, but the possibility of losing Brent Barry hurts so bad.

Kermit
07-02-2008, 10:53 AM

So ...

Wine distributor?

WildcardManu
07-02-2008, 10:54 AM
There is always a first. Let's hope this is it.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 10:55 AM
i disagree TIMVP....yea im a big time skeptic, but i always believe there is truth to every lie.

this has to have some level of truth to it.

im about to have a heart attack if he joins us....

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-02-2008, 10:55 AM
nice........at least the Spurs FO didnt waste their time going after JR

tmtcsc
07-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Unless Pop brought a briefcase full of "under the table" cash, I still think this isn't going to happen. Bill Ingram reads this forum for his stories. I really want him to sign here. If not, then do what you have to do to convince JR Smith to come over and sign. I don't think Denver would match.

We need a commitment from Maggette QUICK.

Bruno
07-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Spurs are said to be the front runners. Gambling on Maggette going to Spurs is the less risky bet to make.
Kinda like betting on Finley going to Miami.

Bartleby
07-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Bill Ingram reads this forum for his stories.

"multiple reports" = SpursTalk.

spurs_fan_in_exile
I won't consider it officially dead until Peter Vescey confirms it.

Marcus Bryant
Unless Pop brought a briefcase full of "under the table" cash, I still think this isn't going to happen. Bill Ingram reads this forum for his stories. I really want him to sign here. If not, then do what you have to do to convince JR Smith to come over and sign. I don't think Denver would match.

We need a commitment from Maggette QUICK.

Spurs don't need to do anything under the table. They can offer him the most he'll get if his options are limited to the MLE, plus they can offer him the opportunity to opt out in 2010 which will be a nice offseason for free agents and, of course, when the Spurs will have the flexibility to offer a max contract to a free agent themselves. Maggette's looking at the MLE not for the long haul but as a stop gap until he can become a free agent in a better summer for free agents.

Shank
Hoopsworld = Profootballtalk.com?

Obstructed_View
I'm not sure about the assertion that no player has been more sought after or talked about than Maggette. He might not be the most talked about free agent on Spurstalk.

Spurs are said to be the front runners. Gambling on Maggette going to Spurs is the less risky bet to make.
Kinda like betting on Finley going to Miami.

Yeah, it makes them look good if they're right. They're awfully desperate for street cred, though. They're going to need to hit an awful lot to make up for the misses.

phyzik
07-02-2008, 11:00 AM

So ...

So... your saying there's a chance...

http://digitalderek.typepad.com/sawxblog/photos/2006/a_chance.jpeg

Bartleby
07-02-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure about the assertion that no player has been more sought after or talked about than Maggette. He might not be the most talked about free agent on Spurstalk.

True, I think JR Smith gets that honor, but that's mostly due to the fact that Maggette seemed like a pipe dream until very recently.

Russ
07-02-2008, 11:02 AM
The Spurs need to let Maggette know that they need a decision quick.

Otherwise, the lost opportunity costs are too great and they may alienate more attainable players.

Russ
Sorry.

Russ
Sorry sorry.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 11:03 AM
The Spurs need to let Maggette know that they need a decision quick.

Otherwise, the lost opportunity costs are too great and they may alienate more attainable players.

Bears repeating.

jag
07-02-2008, 11:06 AM
If all goes according to plan, Maggette will finally join the San Antonio Spurs, who were very much in love with him a couple of seasons ago when his last contract came up.

Who the hell writes like this?

tmtcsc
07-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Spurs don't need to do anything under the table. They can offer him the most he'll get if his options are limited to the MLE, plus they can offer him the opportunity to opt out in 2010 which will be a nice offseason for free agents and, of course, when the Spurs will have the flexibility to offer a max contract to a free agent themselves. Maggette's looking at the MLE not for the long haul but as a stop gap until he can become a free agent in a better summer for free agents.

Yeah they do. I have a feeling Golden State will go after him and do something foolish. They aren't getting Brand, they aren't getting Arenas and they just lost Baron Davis. Why not play for Golden State for a year or 2 at 8 mill per season ? Stay on the West Coast and put up silly numbers in Don Nelson's offense. -- Inflate your worth for 2010 in a player friendly system.

samikeyp
07-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Yes more Spurs musings from Bill "The Rocket Guy" Ingram. That dude is a tool, professionally and personally.

tmtcsc
07-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Good Gawd Russ, do you have a stuttering problem ? JK

Buddy Holly
07-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Yeah they do. I have a feeling Golden State will go after him and do something foolish. They aren't getting Brand, they aren't getting Arenas and they just lost Baron Davis. Why not play for Golden State for a year or 2 at 8 mill per season ? Stay on the West Coast and put up silly numbers in Don Nelson's offense. -- Inflate your worth for 2010 in a player friendly system.

So your assumption in based off speculation you created? Good to know.

angelbelow
07-02-2008, 11:09 AM
great, why couldnt espn report this.

samikeyp
07-02-2008, 11:11 AM
great, why couldnt espn report this.

because they don't steal stories from Yahoo...like hoopsworld does.

SenorSpur
Better keep Pietrus on speed dial until we get a confirmed report from a more trusted source.

Extra Stout
Does Rummpd still write for Hoopsworld? He, um, fit in well there.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 11:12 AM

Giving a lot of $ to Maggette doesn't fit their MO for perimeter players. They just lost 29 year old Davis because they didn't want to commit a large amount of $ to him. They squeezed Barnes into taking virtually nothing last summer. Ditto for Pietrus. With the talent they have on the perimeter it'll be much easier for them just to keep what they have and keep their payroll down. Maggette doesn't have the name ID of a Davis, Brand, and Arenas, so it doesn't make sense in throwing a lot of $ his way.

SenorSpur
07-02-2008, 11:15 AM
If Maggette does go to SA, this will benefit him. He'll get the exposure of being a key contributor on a championship-caliber team. If the Spurs win it all in the next 1-2 seasons, Maggette is still young enough to command a bigger payday in the summer of 2010, assuming the Spurs structure the contract accordingly. We all know that players on championship teams have very high (sometimes ridiculously overpriced) market value.

Bartleby
07-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Yeah they do. I have a feeling Golden State will go after him and do something foolish. They aren't getting Brand, they aren't getting Arenas and they just lost Baron Davis.

I think there is still a pretty decent chance Arenas signs with GS.

SPURSGOAT
07-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Only thing that ESPN is saying about Maggette is that the Spurs are preparing to make an offer...

Hoopsworld is like reading the national enquirer

bigdog
07-02-2008, 11:17 AM
I think there is still a pretty decent chance Arenas signs with GS.

There's no chance Arenas signs with GS.

SPURSGOAT
07-02-2008, 11:20 AM
if this is not true then the Spurs need to jump on JR Smith or Pietrus FAST!!

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Only thing that ESPN is saying about Maggette is that the Spurs are preparing to make an offer...

Hoopsworld is like reading the national enquirer

HOOPSWORLD just reported that Gregg Popovich is really an undercover gray alien from planet NEPTUNE!!!!

EJK5032
07-02-2008, 11:22 AM

So ...

man, I live in San Diego.....I wish I had seen Pop !

rayray2k8
07-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Then nothing happened...

jag
07-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Barry and Maggette...not sure if this has been posted yet, nothing new really

Pro basketball: Spurs plan to make offer for Maggette

Web Posted: 07/02/2008 01:09 AM CDT

By Jeff McDonald and Mike Monroe
[email protected]

Two seasons after the Spurs unsuccessfully tried to trade for Corey Maggette, they appear to be trying to recruit him.

According to two NBA sources, one from each conference, the Spurs are preparing to make an offer to Maggette, who became an unrestricted free agent Tuesday when he opted out of the final year of his contract with the Los Angeles Clippers.

Details are not known, but the Spurs are believed to be poised to offer the 28-year-old guard-forward their full mid-level exception worth about $5.8 million for the first year, the sources say.

Maggette, who gave up $7 million to nullify his Clippers’ contract, would seem to satisfy the Spurs’ annual search for a young, athletic scorer on the wing. A 6-foot-6 slasher, Maggette has averaged 16.1 points during a nine-year NBA career, including 22.1 per game last season.

Spurs general manger R.C. Buford declined to comment on negotiations with any particular free agent.

News of Maggette’s potential courtship came hours after another swingman, Brent Barry, informed the Spurs he had decided to opt out of his contract, turning down the veteran minimum of $1.262 million to become an unrestricted free agent for the second time in six months.

In an odd bit of coincidence, Barry was part of a failed deal with the Clippers in January 2007 that would have brought Maggette to San Antonio. Another coincidence: Barry and Maggette share the same agent, Arn Tellem.
Reached late Tuesday night, Barry said he hadn’t heard anything of an impending deal between the Spurs and Maggette. He was more concerned with mapping his own future.

“I’ve got one year at the veteran minimum,” he said. “I’ve talked with R.C. about maybe doing more, and I am talking to some other teams, too. I’m entitled to do that.”

It is presumed Barry’s latest list of could-be suitors will look a lot like the one he mulled in February, after a whirlwind flurry of transactions saw him traded to Seattle and then waived in the span of a few hours.

Barry eventually wound up re-signing with the Spurs then, shunning inquiries from Houston, Phoenix, Dallas and Boston. There is a chance he could end up with the Spurs again — although that could hinge on what happens with Maggette, because the two essentially play the same position.

This time around, the Rockets have reportedly offered the 36-year-old guard their $1.9 million biannual exception.

Jacque Vaughn, the only other Spurs player who had the right to opt out of his contract this summer, has decided to return to San Antonio for the final year of his deal. Vaughn, a backup point guard who could see his minutes challenged by first-round pick George Hill, is scheduled to earn the veteran minimum next season.

Under NBA rules, teams cannot sign free agents until July 9. Between now and then, the Spurs could have some competition for Maggette’s services.

The Orlando Sentinel, citing an unidentified friend of Maggette’s, reported earlier this week that the guard was encouraging the Magic to join the bidding for him.

Maggette played for the Magic during his rookie season of 1999-2000, and his parents still live in Central Florida. Like the Spurs, Orlando can offer Maggette its mid-level exception as a starting point.

Barry’s latest turn on the free-agent Tilt-A-Whirl comes after one of the most head-spinning seasons of his professional career.

Barry averaged 7.3 points and shot a team-best 43-percent from beyond the 3-point arc in his first 29 games last season.

A calf injury in December all but derailed his promising campaign. He was still shelved in February, when the Spurs dealt him and Francisco Elson to Seattle.

The Sonics quickly cut Barry, kicking off a month-long courtship that eventually ended with Barry right back where he started. Still recovering from the calf injury, Barry played sparingly for the Spurs until the posteason.

He was most active during the Spurs’ Western Conference Finals ouster against the Los Angeles Lakers. He scored a season-high 23 points in the Spurs’ Game 4 loss, which ended in a controversial non-foul call that would have sent Barry to the foul line with a chance to tie the game.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 11:35 AM
In an odd bit of coincidence, Barry was part of a failed deal with the Clippers in January 2007 that would have brought Maggette to San Antonio. Another coincidence: Barry and Maggette share the same agent, Arn Tellem.

WOW.....

hater
07-02-2008, 11:41 AM
there is a big ? in that guys title :rolleyes

leemajors
07-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Does Rummpd still write for Hoopsworld? He, um, fit in well there.

:lmao

Kindergarten Cop
07-02-2008, 11:57 AM
WOW.....

I think it was actually pointed out last night that they do not share the same agent - the article is inaccurate.

grjr
07-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Bears repeating.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/22/30022623_e1a7705fd5.jpg?v=0

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Meanwhile, Boston makes an offer for him.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Meanwhile, Boston makes an offer for him.

sources?

bigdog
07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
sources?

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/07/02/celtics_extend_offer_to_maggette/

it was reported in another article yesterday, also.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 12:20 PM
sources?

Saw it in Google news, and thought it wasn't something new. Sorry.

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Corey-Maggette-Gets-MidLevel-Exception-Offer-From-Celtics-Blog-9998

Upon reading the article, it doesn't look like the article matches the headline, though. Fucking annoying when they do that. That same article states the Spurs have already offered MLE to Maggette.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Saw it in Google news, and thought it wasn't something new. Sorry.

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Corey-Maggette-Gets-MidLevel-Exception-Offer-From-Celtics-Blog-9998

Upon reading the article, it doesn't look like the article matches the headline, though. Fucking annoying when they do that.

yea, a big difference when someone "considers" and a team offering a contract.

Kindergarten Cop
07-02-2008, 12:23 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=21324

The Celtics and Spurs have shown a lot of interest so ... if what he says is true about caring more about winning a championship than money he should take the offers and run. However, I know he's still waiting to see if the Warriors or Sixers could offer more money. Very few players, at the end of the day really take big financial hits to join contenders.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Here's another one

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/07/02/celtics_extend_offer_to_maggette/

lefty
07-02-2008, 12:25 PM
We're screwed

nkdlunch
07-02-2008, 12:26 PM
I doubt he is coming. But I would rather go all out for him than overrated JR.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 12:27 PM
We're screwed

i dont know just yet.

If maggette wants to just be a role player off the bench then he signs with Boston for less minutes and less shots.

If he wants to be a star player, then he signs with the Spurs for more minutes and more shots.

either way he cant go wrong signing with either team

BacktoBasics
07-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Maggs not coming to SA would just reinforce the obvious

1. Upper tier players never sign here...unless they're past their prime.
2. How stupid the 2010 plan really is.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 12:32 PM

2. How stupid the 2010 plan really is.

i honestly think he really wants to sign with SA. but Boston is really where all the limelight and fame is. but he wont be a go to guy anymore. hell just be a role player, a major setback from what hes used to. The spurs are really relying alot on Maggette if we were to get him.

in SA Maggette can really show the basketball world that he can really excell in a great team with great players

Streakyshooter08
07-02-2008, 12:33 PM
As I see it. Right now all we know is that the Spurs are interested. Maggette will weight the options and make a decision. I think the Spurs chances are decent because no other winning team can give him the money he probably wants. All I hope is that his choice will be made soon, so that the Spurs know what he is up to and could concentrate on other players.

That said, even if they get Maggette, I really hope Brent stays it would be could to have at least on reliable shooter at the 2.

tmtcsc
07-02-2008, 12:34 PM
So your assumption in based off speculation you created? Good to know.

Yeah, sorry about that. I should have let it be known that I wasn't a part of Golden State's or the Spurs' front office.

urunobili
07-02-2008, 12:35 PM

So ...

i believe!!!!:toast

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Maggette would be really wasted on a loaded Celtics team.

if he were to go....

Kindergarten Cop
07-02-2008, 12:37 PM
I think the Spurs chances are decent because no other winning team can give him the money he probably wants.

I too think that the Spurs' chances are decent - but you are incorrect with assuming that no other winning team can give him the money he wants. All of the contenders have the same use of the MLE that the Spurs do.

Tigole Bitties
07-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Breaking Hoopsworld scoop: Fabricio Oberto is having Tom Cruise's love baby.

Bartleby
07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
If his end goal is to showcase his talents so he can land a fat contract in 2010, SA is probably the best option because of the playing time he would get, the importance of his role in the offense, and the chances of going deep into the playoffs.

SPURSGOAT
07-02-2008, 12:41 PM
man we better not lose out on JR or Pietrus if this Maggette offer falls through...

Kindergarten Cop
07-02-2008, 12:41 PM

When asked, "Do you think that now Maggette regrets opting out? thinking he was going to get more money and now he is actually taking a huge pay cut"

Too early to tell. If the Sixers and Warriors both pass on him, then yes, he's taking a paycut. But then again, it may be worth it to play on a team like the Spurs. He'd be a perfect fit for them.

K-State Spur
07-02-2008, 12:43 PM

Where do upper tier free agents sign?

bigdog
07-02-2008, 12:44 PM
ESPNews barely report on their ticker about the Celtics offer to Maggette.

Nothing yet on the Spurs.

Kindergarten Cop
07-02-2008, 12:45 PM

Don't we have 3 "upper tier players" that could have gone elsewhere - yet, chose to sign here?

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 12:45 PM
BLAAAHHH!!!

i cant take this anymore.... i just want to hear a verbal agreement already...!!

Bartleby
07-02-2008, 12:46 PM

When asked, "Do you think that now Maggette regrets opting out? thinking he was going to get more money and now he is actually taking a huge pay cut"

From the same chat:

John (Santa Barbara, CA): After the sixers strike out on Josh Smith and Stefanski has to work at it, who do you think the PF the sixers end up getting this off season will be?

SportsNation Chad Ford: (1:10 PM ET ) I'm not so sure they'll strike out on Josh Smith. The Hawks have reservations about giving him a huge deal. He's talented, but he was also a major handful for them. If the Sixers blow the bank on him, I think there's a good chance the Hawks walk away.

G Money (Orlando): C'mon Chad.At least answer 1 question fromus Magic Fans.All we want to know is if you heard anything about Maggette's chances of signing with Orlando

SportsNation Chad Ford: (1:48 PM ET ) I think they'll be a distant third to a team that can offer him more than the mid-level and the Spurs.

AA2120
07-02-2008, 12:49 PM
i saw on espn.com that were gonna extend an offer...

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 12:50 PM
thats old news brotha

Darkwaters
07-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Wow, thats good news. Hopefully Orlando is as much out of it as Chad thinks.

Kindergarten Cop
07-02-2008, 12:51 PM
i saw on espn.com that were gonna extend an offer...

Welcome to the party.:lmao

Kindergarten Cop
07-02-2008, 12:54 PM
From the same chat:

G Money (Orlando): C'mon Chad.At least answer 1 question fromus Magic Fans.All we want to know is if you heard anything about Maggette's chances of signing with Orlando

SportsNation Chad Ford: (1:48 PM ET ) I think they'll be a distant third to a team that can offer him more than the mid-level and the Spurs.

So would he put the Celtics at an even more distant fourth? :wow I certainly hope that Ford is right - but I hope that the few teams that can offer him more than the MLE choose to go different directions.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 12:54 PM
If Maggette commits to Boston, they probably let Posey go. The Spurs could (and might) do worse than Posey.

bigdog
07-02-2008, 12:55 PM

probably meaning the Warriors and Spurs.

Indazone
07-02-2008, 01:07 PM
This would be huge! I've always been a fan of Maggette's, but the possibility of losing Brent Barry hurts so bad.

Just become a Houston Rockets fan! :lol

We are gonna have all your players anyways. Horry, Barry, Scola

nil.ball
07-02-2008, 01:14 PM

alright
yao+tmac for duncan+ginobili+parker straight up...

Indazone
07-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Oh I do that deal everyday 365 days a year. Three All-Stars for two. Heck ya

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 01:27 PM

Hey, I bet Jaren Jackson is available, too!

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 01:33 PM

So ...

First day of free agency and Pop's on Maggette's doorstep. Nice.

jag
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Here's one fan's analysis i found on MYSA in the "comments" section of a free agency article. Hope it helps (i know it will):

Posted by: David at July 2, 2008 01:08 PM

@@@@@@THE TRUE FACTS@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
NBA at this point and the facts is that the only 2 teams to be a title contenders for next year is the SPURS AND CELTICS,cause if spurs had gotten to the finals it woulded been a tremendous serious and spurs woulded won it.but since the spurs didnt got the finals and the celtic won the title, this coming year 2009 it would be SPURS VS CELTICS and SPURS WOULD WIN FOR SURE IF THEY GET TO SIGN MAGGETTE cause if they dont maggette woulld go to the celts and those celts can win another one. but we should trust POP AND MANAGMENT to get this deal for maggette and we that ELITE team we need to be again to win another CHAMPIONSHIP, and of course we off the injury list. IT WOULD BE BETTER IF WE MAGGETTE WOULD WE IN OUR SPURS SIDE IN THE FINALS NEXT YEAR THAN ON THE CELTICS SIDE THATS FOR SURE. GO SPURS GO !!!!!!!!!

BacktoBasics
07-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Where do upper tier free agents sign????? anywhere but here apparently. Don't get me wrong I got my fingers crossed like everyone else.

bigdog
07-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Here's one fan's analysis i found on MYSA in the "comments" section of a free agency article. Hope it helps (i know it will):

Posted by: David at July 2, 2008 01:08 PM

@@@@@@THE TRUE FACTS@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
NBA at this point and the facts is that the only 2 teams to be a title contenders for next year is the SPURS AND CELTICS,cause if spurs had gotten to the finals it woulded been a tremendous serious and spurs woulded won it.but since the spurs didnt got the finals and the celtic won the title, this coming year 2009 it would be SPURS VS CELTICS and SPURS WOULD WIN FOR SURE IF THEY GET TO SIGN MAGGETTE cause if they dont maggette woulld go to the celts and those celts can win another one. but we should trust POP AND MANAGMENT to get this deal for maggette and we that ELITE team we need to be again to win another CHAMPIONSHIP, and of course we off the injury list. IT WOULD BE BETTER IF WE MAGGETTE WOULD WE IN OUR SPURS SIDE IN THE FINALS NEXT YEAR THAN ON THE CELTICS SIDE THATS FOR SURE. GO SPURS GO !!!!!!!!!

Wow, that guy's grammar is absolutely horrible.

BacktoBasics
07-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Don't we have 3 "upper tier players" that could have gone elsewhere - yet, chose to sign here?jesus christ do I really have to explain it.

...I'm not talking about our own farm talent or traded talent. Straight up FA of the upper tier variety don't typically sign here. Prime or hotly sought after prospects and middle aged studs on the up and up don't sign here either. Aging talent and guys who haven't found their way end up in SA.

Kindergarten Cop
07-02-2008, 02:17 PM
jesus christ do I really have to explain it.

...I'm not talking about our own farm talent or traded talent. Straight up FA of the upper tier variety don't typically sign here. Prime or hotly sought after prospects and middle aged studs on the up and up don't sign here either. Aging talent and guys who haven't found their way end up in SA.

When have we had the cap space to sign these "prime" or "hotly sought after prospects"? There was only once during the Duncan era that I recall and the two targets ended up resigning with their respected teams for more money than the Spurs could have offered (and it was a blessing in disguise that we didn't get either of them). Other than that, we have only actually had the money for and we have only actually NEEDED those "aging talent" and "guys who haven't found their way".

BTW, why don't our own FAs count? Is it simply because it hurts your argument? They were top-tier players who were highly sought after by numerous teams, yet they chose to sign in San Antonio.

BacktoBasics
07-02-2008, 02:21 PM
When have we had the cap space to sign these "prime" or "hotly sought after prospects"? There was only once during the Duncan era that I recall and the two targets ended up resigning with their respected teams for more money than the Spurs could have offered (and it was a blessing in disguise that we didn't get either of them). Other than that, we have only actually had the money for and we have only actually NEEDED those "aging talent" and "guys who haven't found their way".

BTW, why don't our own FAs count? Is it simply because it hurts your argument? They were top-tier players who were highly sought after by numerous teams, yet they chose to sign in San Antonio.I hear what you're saying and I'm disagreeing with you.

Our own players don't count because they were already here.

Kindergarten Cop
07-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Our own players don't count because they were already here.

But if this is such an undesirable place to play (as you seem to be stating), wouldn't they bolt at the first opportunity for the same (or more) money? Why would they take less than their market value to remain?

BacktoBasics
07-02-2008, 02:42 PM
But if this is such an undesirable place to play (as you seem to be stating), wouldn't they bolt at the first opportunity for the same (or more) money? Why would they take less than their market value to remain?
lol I had a customer. I meant to say I'm not disagreeing with you.

I don't think its undesirable once they have a real opportunity to appreciate the town. I think thats why so many players once they get here rarely leave. Suffice to say I haven't figured out why that hasn't caught on and I really can't say why FA don't take a harder look at SA considering most every high quality player manages to stick around once they've had a taste.

wisnub
07-02-2008, 02:49 PM

So ...

Star Wars episode IV: A NEW HOPE

wildbill2u
07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Maggette has a career 31% average from 3pt arc. He's not gonna spread the floor with that stat.

Why is he considered an answer to our shooting woes from the perimeter?

K-State Spur
07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
???? anywhere but here apparently. Don't get me wrong I got my fingers crossed like everyone else.

I believe the answer is that - for the most part - they don't change teams period.

The only time you do see it happen is for a team to vastly over-pay a second/third tier player (i.e. Rashard Lewis) or to over-pay an unproven player in the hopes that he will develop into an all-star (i.e. Wizards with Agent 0).

Yeah, we can bitch and moan that the Spurs never sign top free agents, but 29 other teams' fans can do the same thing.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't know where this has been posted, but the Celts are now saying that they didn't make an offer to Maggette.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2008_07_02_Celtics__Perkins__rookie_Walker_undergo _surgery/srvc=sports&position=recent

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't know where this has been posted, but the Celts are now saying that they didn't make an offer to Maggette.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2008_07_02_Celtics__Perkins__rookie_Walker_undergo _surgery/srvc=sports&position=recent

:toast

K-State Spur
07-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Maggette has a career 31% average from 3pt arc. He's not gonna spread the floor with that stat.

Why is he considered an answer to our shooting woes from the perimeter?

What shooting woes from the perimeter? The team still shot 37% from downtown last year, not that shabby.

The big problem was that they would go long periods without scoring when the jumpshots weren't falling. Maggette is a slasher in the purest sense of the word, who may not be a terrific shooter, but is a solid scorer who attacks the rim and gets himself to the free throw line.

This team - as it's currently constructed - does not need another shooter (although it will if Barry goes elsewhere). What it needs is an attacking wing.

Ronaldo McDonald
07-02-2008, 02:56 PM
I had Corey on my fantasy team this year and he gave me steady three point production. Towrds th eend of the season, he made something like 8 three's in one game, and he had a couple more where he had like 6.

He gave me one 3 a year this past year, and that was without a low post guy that could command double teams, and guy's like TP and Manu that can get int he lane and create open shots for the perim. players.

Kindergarten Cop
07-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I had Corey on my fantasy team this year and he gave me steady three point production. Towrds th eend of the season, he made something like 8 three's in one game, and he had a couple more where he had like 6.

Corey had one game in March in which he went 6/9 from 3pt range, one game in February where he went 5/5, and one game in February where he went 4/5. Other than that he had 8 games where he hit 3 from beyond the arc and 10 games in which he hit 2. That adds up to 21 games in which he hit multiple threes.

I LOVE the possibility of adding Maggette, but it is more for his slashing and ability to get to the stripe than his three point shooting. Let's not make him out to be the Rifleman though. ;)

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 03:09 PM
gotta Get Gette!!

tp2021
07-02-2008, 03:20 PM
gotta Get Gette!!

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/watermark.php?src=wp-content/uploads/2007/12/what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Brutalis
07-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Well, I hope so.

T Park
07-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Well there goes all the hope of Maggette now that I read this...

Budkin
07-02-2008, 06:34 PM
He can't get them all wrong can he?

T Park
07-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Its Ingram, so its possible :lol

DPG21920
07-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Question...If teams over the cap can only offer the MLE, how do teams get so far over the cap and into luxury tax? Only through trades? Don't trades have to have equal monetary value? I do not get how with the rules, teams get into trouble.

DPG21920
07-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Or can teams offer whatever they want to a player regardless of if they are over the luxury tax limit and just pay dollar for dollar? I am confused...

T Park
07-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Question...If teams over the cap can only offer the MLE, how do teams get so far over the cap and into luxury tax? Only through trades? Don't trades have to have equal monetary value? I do not get how with the rules, teams get into trouble.

resigning your own players to bigger and bigger contracts.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Trades, re-signing free agents, draft picks, etc...

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Or can teams offer whatever they want to a player regardless of if they are over the luxury tax limit and just pay dollar for dollar? I am confused...

Yes, a team can re-sign their own free agent and end up in lux tax territory. If they want to pay the tax and forgo the distribution then they are free to do so.

FromWayDowntown
07-02-2008, 07:40 PM
I read this thread title and say to myself: "whottt, whottt, whottt?"

lotr1trekkie
07-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Nice to see two teams spend 200 million screw to each other but to stay about the same. If we sign Maggette does that mean the Clips offer Finley a similar deal as revenge. Personally, I believe Barry will resign for that 1.9 LLE -whatever. WHAT OTHER MOVES CAN WE MAKE IN FA?

spursfan09
07-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Come on Maggette, it is an odd number year, be a part of it!

T Park
07-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Nice to see two teams spend 200 million screw to each other but to stay about the same. If we sign Maggette does that mean the Clips offer Finley a similar deal as revenge. Personally, I believe Barry will resign for that 1.9 LLE -whatever. WHAT OTHER MOVES CAN WE MAKE IN FA?

Go for it LA if that were the case :lol