PDA

View Full Version : Warriors offer Brand $85-90 million

50 cent
07-02-2008, 03:20 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53345/20080702/warriors_offer_brand_huge_contract/

Wow, these 2 teams have to be hating each other right now.

I still think Elton stays in LA after the Davis signing, but this is hilarious and $20 million is a big difference:

The Warriors have offered free agent Elton Brand a five-year deal worth between $85 and $90 million, according to league sources.

Brand, like Baron Davis, opted out of the final year of his contract just before Monday's deadline, giving up a guaranteed $16.4 million for next season.

At the time, Brand's agent, David Falk, told reporters that the move was designed to create some cap flexibility for the Clippers to add another top-line player.

The most the Clippers can offer Brand is a five-year deal worth about $70 million due to salary-cap restrictions - about $20 million less than the Warriors.

Brand, who had been close to re-signing with the Clippers, is expected to make a decision today.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 03:22 PM
HAHA.....how in the world will Nellie incorparate Brand into his system...

tp2021
07-02-2008, 03:23 PM
If he signs with GS, does that hurt our chances of maggette by letting the Clips try and keep him? If Brand signs with LAC, does GS then go after Maggette?:dizzy

timvp
07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Last few pages of this thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100361) discuss why it is very unlikely that Brand will take that offer.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 03:24 PM
If he signs with GS, does that hurt our chances of maggette by letting the Clips try and keep him? If Brand signs with LAC, does GS then go after Maggette?:dizzy

If brand signs with GS, yes, maggette will be back with LA

if brand stays with LA, GS cannot offer more than MLE to maggette....i believe

bigdog
07-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Let this thought flow through your thick skulls: BRAND WILL NOT SIGN WITH GS, BRAND WILL NOT SIGN WITH GS, BRAND WILL NOT SIGN WITH GS.

It's not going to happen.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Let this thought flow through your thick skulls: BRAND WILL NOT SIGN WITH GS, BRAND WILL NOT SIGN WITH GS, BRAND WILL NOT SIGN WITH GS.

It's not going to happen.

we know that prarie dog....he had a question, i answered it

bigdog
07-02-2008, 03:28 PM
we know that prarie dog....he had a question, i answered it

I wasn't aiming it at him. I was aiming it at the other clueless people that would have come in here worrying about Brand going to the Warriors.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 03:30 PM
The most the Clippers can offer Brand is a five-year deal worth about $70 million due to salary-cap restrictions - about $20 million less than the Warriors.

Incorrect. The most the Clippers can offer is a 6 year, $113 to 115 mil deal . If it's a 5 year deal, then they can offer the same $90 mil deal as the Warriors.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 03:30 PM
I wasn't aiming it at him. I was aiming it at the other clueless people that would have come in here worrying about Brand going to the Warriors.

Until figuring out the salary cap numbers, it seems like it's a completely reasonable concern that Brand might take the Warriors' offer. Technically, it's not too late for both Davis and Brand to end up with someone other than GS or LA, right?

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Until figuring out the salary cap numbers, it seems like it's a completely reasonable concern that Brand might take the Warriors' offer. Technically, it's not too late for both Davis and Brand to end up with someone other than GS or LA, right?

Well sure, maybe the Sixers or Grizz get involved. Maybe someone cooks up a mammoth sign and trade deal which maxes out Brand.

Possible, but unlikely.

bigdog
07-02-2008, 03:33 PM

True, but given the projected cap numbers and what the Clippers can offer, he'll very likely stay with LA anyways, no matter what another team could offer Brand, or even Davis.

His reason for opting out was to have some money to spend on another guy, like Davis. Now that it's happened, the two will be paired.

DPG21920
07-02-2008, 03:34 PM
The Warriors, if they do not get Brand, could offer Maggette the same money they offered Brand, way more than the MLE...not saying they would offer that much, but they could.

Bartleby
07-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Well sure, maybe the Sixers or Grizz get involved.

Jerry West is probably already on the phone with Wallace, telling him what to do.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Jerry West is probably already on the phone with Wallace, telling him what to do.

No doubt.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Well sure, maybe the Sixers or Grizz get involved. Maybe someone cooks up a mammoth sign and trade deal which maxes out Brand.

Possible, but unlikely.

I agree. My point is that on the surface, it looks like GS are offering Brand WAY more money, so it doesn't make someone stupid for thinking he might jump. Certainly stranger things have happened.

T Park
07-02-2008, 03:49 PM
coughfacesavercough

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 03:55 PM
I agree. My point is that on the surface, it looks like GS are offering Brand WAY more money, so it doesn't make someone stupid for thinking he might jump. Certainly stranger things have happened.

That offer to Brand isn't that bad. They offered the max to Arenas, IIRC.

The concern with Maggette is not that the Warriors would throw $90 mil at him, but rather that they would put something together like a 5 year, $50 mil deal. Such a deal would start at $8.6 mil. That would be very reasonable for him. The question would be whether or not he thought he could do better in the summer of 2010. Another question, of course, is if the Warriors would even be interested in Maggette. They seem to be rather cautious with the contracts they dole out. They weren't willing to give Davis anything close to $90 mil over 5 years. They squeezed Barnes after the '07 playoffs into taking a one year, $3 mil deal. Ditto for Pietrus. Maybe that was just in anticipation of this summer. I don't know. At a minimum, they already have a fair amount of swingman talent there.

VaSpursFan
07-02-2008, 03:57 PM
freaking hysterical...warriors to exact some sort of revenge:lmao:lmao:lmao

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Also, Golden State can now afford to keep some of their free agent swingman talent there. Unless they viewed Maggette as that big of an upgrade, maybe they give Barnes, Abuzikuke, and/or Pietrus smaller contracts instead of signing another team's free agent to a much larger amount.

Indazone
07-02-2008, 04:03 PM
How they supposed to get Brand when there is supposedly a what? $124 million dollar offer for Arenas?

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 04:06 PM
How they supposed to get Brand when there is supposedly a what? $124 million dollar offer for Arenas?

I guess he said no.

bigdog
07-02-2008, 04:08 PM

Because the offer for Arenas is coming from the Wizards, who were desperately overpaying him to stay after the Warriors offered him $100 million.

If they could offer Arenas that much in GS, they can offer around that much.

Arenas likely turned down the GS offer, which is why GS is offering another big contract now.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 04:08 PM
freaking hysterical...warriors to exact some sort of revenge:lmao:lmao:lmao

Yeah, it's definitely a face-saving measure.

BTW, do they actually have offers for Arenas and Brand out there at the same time? Can they theoretically afford both? I didn't think you were allowed to just go out there and make multiple max offers to see if one sticks.

EDIT: Saw answer above. I have too many pages open to keep track. :)

jack sommerset
07-02-2008, 04:15 PM
If Brand turns down that money he is fucking stupid. Its 90 MILLION dollars. Him and his entire family and family members not even born will have unthinkable oppurtunities. Take the fucking money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only one team can win a championship once a year out of 30 teams. Take the fucking money. That fucker even gets to stay in Cali. 5 years, if he hates it or does not win a championship durning those 5 years, guess what, then he can go as a old Vet and be Mr "I want a ring guy" Take that money.

spurscenter
07-02-2008, 04:20 PM
brand owes the clippers for sticking with him last year while hurt

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 04:22 PM
If Brand turns down that money he is fucking stupid. Its 90 MILLION dollars. Him and his entire family and family members not even born will have unthinkable oppurtunities. Take the fucking money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only one team can win a championship once a year out of 30 teams. Take the fucking money. That fucker even gets to stay in Cali. 5 years, if he hates it or does not win a championship durning those 5 years, guess what, then he can go as a old Vet and be Mr "I want a ring guy" Take that money.

I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that Brand gets similiar money from the Clippers. They will be able to under the CBA.

mrspurs
07-02-2008, 04:23 PM
brand another one of those players who spends most of his time....hurt on the bench, if any sucker wants to pay a guy that much money for being hurt all the time....then plz dont let it be us

jack sommerset
07-02-2008, 04:26 PM
brand owes the clippers for sticking with him last year while hurt

I'm curious what does that mean? He was under contract. They had to stick with him. Did other teams offer a trade for him last year?

bigdog
07-02-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm curious what does that mean? He was under contract. They had to stick with him. Did other teams offer a trade for him last year?

No, it means he owes them because they could have traded him, and now that they want to pair him with Davis, he should resign with them and not accept the GS offer, as some sort of "thank you" for sticking with him.

smrattler
07-02-2008, 04:43 PM
^ I think Clipps owe Brand more than he owes them. Then again, they have taken care of him financially too over the years, not like he was playing for free. Still, don't see him going to GS.

I'm more concerned about Maggz getting an offer now from the GSW. I know people are posting that "they got a lot of swing talent", but if you follow Nellie, there is no such thing as too many scorers, especially swingmen types. They don't have to break the bank for him either, just 2.5-2M more than the Spurs are offering per year would do it I bet.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
^ I think Clipps owe Brand more than he owes them. Then again, they have taken care of him financially too over the years, not like he was playing for free. Still, don't see him going to GS.

I'm more concerned about Maggz getting an offer now from the GSW. I know people are posting that "they got a lot of swing talent", but if you follow Nellie, there is no such thing as too many scorers, especially swingmen types. They don't have to break the bank for him either, just 2.5-2M more than the Spurs are offering per year would do it I bet.

But would that satisfy Maggette? He could take the Spurs' MLE for 2 years and then opt out in the Summer of 2010 when half of the NBA will have the cap room to offer a max contract (including, most likely, the Spurs). It's a gamble, yes, but I think GS would have to offer more than $45 mil (which is what $2 mil more than the MLE translates into over 5 years) to lure Maggette. Think something above $60 mil. Now does GS offer Maggette $60 mil over 5 years when they apparently were unwilling to offer Davis 5 years/$65 mil?

Big P
07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Now the reports are saying a 5 year $100 mil contract...if he leaves $6-7 mil per year on the table & signs with the Clipps...I wil applaud the man...Reports say Clipps offer starts at $13.5 mil

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Now the reports are saying a 5 year $100 mil contract...if he leaves $6-7 mil per year on the table & signs with the Clipps...I wil applaud the man...Reports say Clipps offer starts at $13.5 mil

Clippers' offer or Warriors' offer?

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 04:59 PM
A 5 year contract starting at $13.5 mil offered by the Warriors would be worth $79 mil.

If offered by the Clippers, $81.7 mil.

To get to a $100 mil offer from the Clippers, the contract would start at $16.53 mil.

If offered by the Warriors, $17.1 mil.

Bruno
07-02-2008, 05:00 PM
I quite think Brand will re-sign will Clippers and Warriors will go in rebuilding mode. If they don't get Brand, Warriors won't be a playoff team in the west even if they sign Maggette.

Warriors going in rebuilding mode is a good news for Spurs because Spurs have their 2009 second round pick. Spurs could get a pick around 35th which will help them in a draft where they don't have a first round pick.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm more concerned about Maggz getting an offer now from the GSW.

If they end up with Maggette and keep their own free agents it's bad for the Spurs, but it's much worse for the Warriors. I think even Nellie's not that suicidally in love with smallball. They certainly don't make the playoffs for the forseeable future, which basically means that Maggette is abandoning one sinking ship for another, which he said he wasn't going to do.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 05:01 PM
I quite think Brand will re-sign will Clippers and Warriors will go in rebuilding mode. If they don't get Brand, Warriors won't be a playoff team in teh west even if they sign Maggette.

Warriors going in rebuilding mode is a good news for Spurs because Spurs have their 2009 second round pick. Spurs could get a pick around 35th which will help them in a draft where they don't have a first round pick.

Double bonus.

:king

Big P
07-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Warriors Offer Brand $100-million?

Posted: 7/2/2008 3:59:00 PM
Source: LA Times

In a move that could act as sweet revenge, the Golden State Warriors have offered free-agent Elton Brand a more lucrative, multiyear deal than the Clippers have proposed, according to NBA sources who requested anonymity because they are not allowed to speak about other free-agent dealings.

The Warriors offered $100 million over five years, the sources said.

On Tuesday, the Clippers reached a verbal agreement to sign Warriors free-agent Baron Davis and were nearing a new deal with Brand.

Now, the Warriors have more salary cap space than the Clippers and have offered Brand a maximum contract, according to the sources.

Brand could not be reached for comment this morning.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 05:22 PM
according to NBA sources who requested anonymity because they are not allowed to speak about other free-agent dealings.

And people cite David Stern as the reason the NBA has a credibility problem.

Spurtacus
07-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Brand has a better chance of winning a championship in LA than in GS. He already has millions. I think he stays in LA.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 05:58 PM
$100 mil? Then the Warriors are offering Brand close to the max (a starting salary that is 30% of the expected cap for 2008-09). That would be a contract starting at $17.1 mil.

I'm sure the Clippers will up whatever they have offered to Brand.

TheMadHatter
07-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Brand has a better chance of winning a championship in LA than in GS. He already has millions. I think he stays in LA.

You clearly aren't very familiar with the Clipper franchise. It doesn't matter how much talent they have, they will always find a way to screw things up.

Spurtacus
07-02-2008, 06:02 PM
You clearly aren't very familiar with the Clipper franchise. It doesn't matter how much talent they have, they will always find a way to screw things up.

You clearly assume too much. So, I can have my opinion, and you can have yours. Thanks.