Source: Favre has 'itch' to ditch retirement, report to camp

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: July 2, 2008, 5:28 PM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

With his family "tugging" on him to play, Brett Favre has an "itch" to come out of retirement and report to training camp with the Green Bay Packers later this month, according to sources close to the team and player.

Favre has communicated his potential desire to coach Mike McCarthy but talks have not advanced to a substantive stage, a Packers source said.

The source said the Packers would be reluctant to open the door for Favre because "Brett retired for the right reasons, even though I know his family is tugging on him [to play]."

Another source conceded Favre was "getting the itch" to play football in 2008.

However, Favre's agent downplayed the likelihood that the quarterback could un-retire or that he was prepared to report to camp July 28.

"As far as I know, right now, Brett Favre is retired and until he tells me something different, that's what it is," James "Bus" Cook, Favre's agent, said.

Favre was unavailable for comment. A Packers spokesman said that McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson were on vacation.

2007: Best OF Brett Favre

NFL.com Video

Highlights of the best moments from Brett Favre in 2007.

Favre has two years remaining on his contract at an average of about $12.5 million per season. His salary is not currently counting toward the salary cap because the Packers placed him on the reserve-retired list.

If Favre decides that he absolutely wants to play this season, the Packers could be confronted with a sensitive issue. The entire offseason has been spent preparing Aaron Rodgers to play quarterback to the point where "the offensive scheme has evolved" and, psychologically, closing the door on Favre's legendary 17-year career.

If the Packers resist a stronger push by Favre to return, sources speculate that the quarterback could press the team to release him from his contract so that he could seek a job with another team. A league official said that Favre could force a decision by asking the Packers, in writing, to reinstate him to active status. The team would have to comply or release him.

"That's speculation and I wouldn't go there," a team source said. "We value Brett's legacy, we think he values it, and we'd want to protect that. Brett's a high-quality person and he's not going to push it that far. He'll do the right thing [and stay retired]. This was almost predictable, the idea that Brett would get the itch to play as we get closer to the season."

In an interview done with ESPN around the time Favre retired in early March, McCarthy predicted Favre "will have an itch to come back. I saw Joe Montana go through it, even though I was a younger coach in Kansas City at the time."

McCarthy said it was Favre who convinced the coach that retirement was the "right thing to do."

"I tried to talk him out of retirement," McCarthy said back in March. "Tom Clements [Green Bay's quarterbacks coach] and I were trying to sell him on the concept that he could still play at a high level with 80 to 85 percent of the commitment he had last year. Brett thought that maybe he could do it but he reasoned that when you cut back the commitment, you open yourself up to injury, to not being on top of your game -- which was very important to Brett -- and letting the team down in the process.

"Really, what Brett did was very honorable because the stress and pressure he feels is a direct result of the standard he sets for himself."

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 05:24 PM
OMG. Only five months after we all said that was exactly what he was going to do. Favre is such a putz.

Spurtacus
07-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I think Favre had another 1-2 years left. They were so close to the Super Bowl. But, he said he's done and it should stay that way. Unfair the the fans and teammates for him to come back.

LocosPorJuana
07-02-2008, 06:05 PM
:wow I'm in complete disbelief!

jack sommerset
07-02-2008, 07:56 PM
If he wants to play let him play. You only live once. I will say Green Bay can't bring him in. That has potetial of fucking a locker room all over it. Teammates have already committed to Rodgers.

The problem I see is what team would be a good fit for Farve as well as the team he goes to. I only see the Ravens and they might not be good enough in Farves eyes. He should wait and see if a good teams QB goes down then come out.

resistanze
07-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Blows ACL in preseason.

dirk4mvp
07-03-2008, 12:07 AM
The problem I see is what team would be a good fit for Farve as well as the team he goes to. I only see the Ravens and they might not be good enough in Farves eyes. He should wait and see if a good teams QB goes down then come out.

Do you really see Favre finishing his career on any other team besides the Packers?

Spurs rock
07-03-2008, 01:45 AM
If he wants to play let him play. You only live once. I will say Green Bay can't bring him in. That has potetial of fucking a locker room all over it. Teammates have already committed to Rodgers.

Minnesota Vikings

Brutalis
07-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Dude needs to take a page from Elway and Marino.

N.Y. Johnny
07-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Dude needs to take a page from Elway and Marino.

Exactly. Its either quit or keep playing until you suffer a serious concussion like Trent Green. Make up your mind Favre. I know If I was Aaron Rodgers I'd be pissed.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2008, 01:05 PM
At least the rest of us are seeing why the Packers used a high draft pick on a quarterback rather than a lineman or receiver.

If Packer fans didn't turn on him after the whole "What are they going to do, cut me?" fiasco, they never will, even if he completely undermines the team and lacks the fucking balls to admit that he doesn't want to play for them anymore, instead everyone has to get the information from his inbred relatives, who seem to have never met a microphone they didn't like.

If I was Aaron Rodgers I'd be pissed.
Seems like Rodgers is always pissed.

J.T.
07-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Dude needs to stay retired. He's not Michael Jordan. He won't come back and win the Super Bowl again. Not this season, not next season, never. The only thing he has to gain by playing another NFL season is padding his stats so that it takes Peyton Manning longer to break his records.

midgetonadonkey
07-03-2008, 03:41 PM
How did I know that J.T. was going to express his man love for Peyton in this thread.

T Park
07-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Jets.

Green Bay, capitalize on what little worth he has left and trade him to New York.

He would get so much love there, he'd have a stroke from all the fawning.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Brett Favre just blew his nose.

N.Y. Johnny
07-04-2008, 01:35 AM
Jets.

Green Bay, capitalize on what little worth he has left and trade him to New York.

He would get so much love there, he'd have a stroke from all the fawning.

I dont know about that. Mangini is so in love with Pennington the second coming could be in NY and he'd ignore it for ol' noodle arm.

Miami Dolphins, Miami Dolphins, :wow

Spur-Addict
07-04-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm wondering if they'll release him, or try and trade him if he persists.

N.Y. Johnny
07-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I see NFL Network is giving Favre the attention he's craving always.

FAVRE'S FIRST EVER COMEBACK FROM 1992!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ......really?

Extra Stout
07-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Packer joke: "This is just being misinterpreted. Brett Favre is done with professional football and wants to get as far away from it as he can. Therefore, he is going to join the Chicago Bears."

tbilliot
07-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Do you really see Favre finishing his career on any other team besides the Packers?

well JOE MONTANA did it with the cheifs. so it could happen. i wish he would come back. i love to watch that guy play on sundays.

midgetonadonkey
07-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Minnesota is the best option for him.

Spurtacus
07-05-2008, 11:11 PM
He still had two years left on his contract. Does Green Bay retain the rights to him? Can they dictate where he goes?

jack sommerset
07-06-2008, 04:06 PM
He still had two years left on his contract. Does Green Bay retain the rights to him? Can they dictate where he goes?

I am 99 percent sure Greenbay retains his rights. If not any player could say they retire just to go to another team.

jack sommerset
07-07-2008, 10:55 AM
If Farve played any other position on the football field this would not be big news or should I say noone would have a problem with him coming back.

mardigan
07-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Everyone knew he could still play and would probably have the "itch", to come back. I dont blame him. I hope he does come back.

LocosPorJuana
07-08-2008, 12:25 PM
As I read an article about ron mexico filing for chapter 11, a thought came to me.....what would be the best way for the falcons to forget #7...?

for favre to play in atlanta! Arthur Blank should do whatever it takes to get him, even if it means giving him a lifetime of supplies from home depot.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2008, 12:48 PM
I am 99 percent sure Greenbay retains his rights. If not any player could say they retire just to go to another team.

http://blog.chargers.com/i/jr.jpg

jack sommerset
07-08-2008, 05:12 PM
http://blog.chargers.com/i/jr.jpg

He retired but I think he was not under contract with any team when he signed with Pats. Not sure though.

GaryJohnston
07-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Let the man play if he wants to. Its Brett Farve. Look where he took that Green Bay team last year. Green Bay would be stupid to refuse him.

If they do release him I hope he goes to Minny. That would be a formidable team!

Obstructed_View
07-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Let the man play if he wants to. Its Brett Farve. Look where he took that Green Bay team last year. Green Bay would be stupid to refuse him.

If they do release him I hope he goes to Minny. That would be a formidable team!

Which is exactly why they won't. If your hall of fame QB asked for a release and you knew damn good and well that his top two choices were in your division, would you let him go?

GaryJohnston
07-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Which is exactly why they won't. If your hall of fame QB asked for a release and you knew damn good and well that his top two choices were in your division, would you let him go?

If Farve asks Green Bay to take him off the retired/IR list, and Green Bay wants to move on with Rodgers, they have to release him.

It would be shameful of the Green Bay brass to treat Farve otherwise.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2008, 12:31 PM
If Farve asks Green Bay to take him off the retired/IR list, and Green Bay wants to move on with Rodgers, they have to release him.

It would be shameful of the Green Bay brass to treat Farve otherwise.

Green Bay fans will be extatic if the Packers find themselves on the wrong side of a tiebreaker for a wild card spot due to a blunder like that. What's shameful is the way Favre has tried to strong arm the Packers into cutting him the last few years when it looked like the team wasn't going to be very good.

They have no obligation to allow Favre to go to the Bears or the Vikings and suddenly make their own path to the playoffs that much harder.

They should tell him that if he shows up in time for camp that he can compete for the backup job, and that if he gets the starting job due to injury, that he has a chance to keep it if he can manage not to play like dogshit in a meaningful game.

O-Factor
07-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Green Bay fans will be extatic if the Packers find themselves on the wrong side of a tiebreaker for a wild card spot due to a blunder like that. What's shameful is the way Favre has tried to strong arm the Packers into cutting him the last few years when it looked like the team wasn't going to be very good.

They have no obligation to allow Favre to go to the Bears or the Vikings and suddenly make their own path to the playoffs that much harder.

They should tell him that if he shows up in time for camp that he can compete for the backup job, and that if he gets the starting job due to injury, that he has a chance to keep it if he can manage not to play like dogshit in a meaningful game.

No way they treat Farve like that. I don't see it. They are not going to pay him what he is due to be a back up. They would be better off cutting him and him choosing a team of his own.

And Farve has not tried to strong arm the franchise the past few years. When McCarthy was hired, Ted Thompson begged Farve, flew down to Mississippi personally, to return and give McCarthy a chance.

They should be exstatic if Farve wants to come back. They were on the cusp of representing the NFC last year and would end up being even more formidable this year with last years experience. But they want to go with Rodgers??? Fuck that if Im a Green Bay fan.

jack sommerset
07-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Can you imagine all the things that were said to Rodgers the past 4-5 months since Favre retired. Now his career hangs in the balance with Green Bay. The guy was a first round draft choice. 2nd QB overall taken in that years draft. How can he stay there as the QB, the leader after this bs.

The thing that gets me is people just push him aside. They say its Favre, then they knock Rodgers. They KNOCK the guy. He has done nothing wrong. He did not cause all this. He still is quiet durning all this. You hear about replacing the greats. Marino,Elway,Kelly and Aikman until recently. What about Montana. His back up was Steve Young.

I think Farve should play. Not for Green Bay. Tell him him thanks but no thanks, we moved on. Let him know they will let him play for another team but not in the NFC. Also don't rule out money being a factor in Farves return. 12 Million a year is alot of cash left on the table. Its obvious to me Farve is a bit of a Diva. He does not mind stirring the pot. Rumor had it before he retired if the Green Bay Packers did not sign Moss he would retire. Coincidence? The packers had the best season they had in years and he pulls this shit. Pack needs to bow out gracefully and the team and fans need to get behind Rodgers and let the cards fall where they may. They are a young strong team and to be held hostage by Favres antics is ridiculous. I like Farve and personally I could careless where he plays. This is just my opinion what I think GB should do.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2008, 01:48 PM
And Farve has not tried to strong arm the franchise the past few years. When McCarthy was hired, Ted Thompson begged Farve, flew down to Mississippi personally, to return and give McCarthy a chance.

I'm sorry, when the GM has to fly to a guy's house and beg him not to retire because of a coaching change, and then retire because they didn't get Randy Moss, what do you call it?

Packers fans have been making excuses for Favre for a long fuckin' time. The franchise should do everything it can to make sure that they can move on without him fucking everything up.

O-Factor
07-09-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm sorry, when the GM has to fly to a guy's house and beg him not to retire because of a coaching change, and then retire because they didn't get Randy Moss, what do you call it?

Packers fans have been making excuses for Favre for a long fuckin' time. The franchise should do everything it can to make sure that they can move on without him fucking everything up.

I have to continue to disagree with you here. So Farve should always bend and do what Thompson wants him to do???? Not retire because there is a new coach, then retire because Rodgers played 1 good half of 1 game of football?? Thompson pressured him immediately after the season to tell him weather or not he wanted to come back. You have to give a guy more time to decide that.

You are making it sound as if Farve is such a degenerate. He's one of the good guys in the league and after what he has done for that franchise he deserves to come back to the Packers and compete for a starting job, which he'll win flat out. But the Packers don't want that.

This Packer team has a real legitimate chance to capture a Super Bowl this year if Farve is at the helm, and I say this as a Cowboys fan. I don't see why they would not want to do everything possible to win another one. You have a far greater chance with a living legend and hall of famer than Rodgers. He won't take that team there.

If they don't want Farve, then I have to agree with the sentiment of letting him go. Don't hold him hostage.

N.Y. Johnny
07-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Can you imagine all the things that were said to Rodgers the past 4-5 months since Favre retired. Now his career hangs in the balance with Green Bay. The guy was a first round draft choice. 2nd QB overall taken in that years draft. How can he stay there as the QB, the leader after this bs.

The thing that gets me is people just push him aside. They say its Favre, then they knock Rodgers. They KNOCK the guy. He has done nothing wrong. He did not cause all this. He still is quiet durning all this. You hear about replacing the greats. Marino,Elway,Kelly and Aikman until recently. What about Montana. His back up was Steve Young.

I think Farve should play. Not for Green Bay. Tell him him thanks but no thanks, we moved on. Let him know they will let him play for another team but not in the NFC. Also don't rule out money being a factor in Farves return. 12 Million a year is alot of cash left on the table. Its obvious to me Farve is a bit of a Diva. He does not mind stirring the pot. Rumor had it before he retired if the Green Bay Packers did not sign Moss he would retire. Coincidence? The packers had the best season they had in years and he pulls this shit. Pack needs to bow out gracefully and the team and fans need to get behind Rodgers and let the cards fall where they may. They are a young strong team and to be held hostage by Favres antics is ridiculous. I like Farve and personally I could careless where he plays. This is just my opinion what I think GB should do.

QFT

Bit of a Diva? Wow, alot of a diva if not the diva. Its pathetic. ESPN reports literally anything that Favre does now and he is the story in the NFL and probably will be right up until opening day when he trots out again to start in Green Bay.
once he comes back Rodgers should demand a trade out of that circus, which is what it really is now.

Obstructed_View
07-10-2008, 12:00 AM
I have to continue to disagree with you here. So Farve should always bend and do what Thompson wants him to do???? Not retire because there is a new coach, then retire because Rodgers played 1 good half of 1 game of football?? Thompson pressured him immediately after the season to tell him weather or not he wanted to come back. You have to give a guy more time to decide that.

This little drama has been going on every year for the last three, and he switches back and forth depending upon his mood that day. It's really hard to develop a team when you don't know where your most talented player at the most critical position is going to be one day to the next, particularly when his indecision bleeds into the off-season, affecting player acquisitions as well as mini camps. Favre clearly wanted the Packers to cut him a couple of years ago so that he could go somewhere else and the Packers could be the bad guys, and he dragged the decision out way further than he should have in the hopes that they'd blink. He didn't even have the common courtesy to just tell them, he instead decided to try to play the media. And nobody told Favre that he had to retire at the end of last season, all they asked was that he not fucking drag it out again. Unfortunately he did the one thing that was worse, and he couldn't have timed it better if he were intentionally trying to force the Packers into releasing him. Hmmmm....

You are making it sound as if Farve is such a degenerate. He's one of the good guys in the league and after what he has done for that franchise he deserves to come back to the Packers and compete for a starting job, which he'll win flat out. But the Packers don't want that.

I never said he was a degenerate, but he's clearly a primadona, and he's either completely unable to make a fucking decision or he's just outright being dishonest with the team. You are making it sound like he did something more than win a single super bowl for them. After what he's done to them the past few years with all the vacillating, I'm not sure why anyone, particulary Favre, would expect them to just welcome him back to compete for a starting job. As I've said before, I'm sure he doesn't. Why some of you think he does mystifies me.

This Packer team has a real legitimate chance to capture a Super Bowl this year if Farve is at the helm, and I say this as a Cowboys fan. I don't see why they would not want to do everything possible to win another one. You have a far greater chance with a living legend and hall of famer than Rodgers. He won't take that team there.

Everybody knew how good the Packers were at the end of the season, including the quarterback. If only he had cared enough to commit for another year when he had a chance instead of waiting until the team had moved on with the new quarterback. If he hadn't developed a reputation of screwing the team over while he revelled in yearly "will he or won't he" media bukakke displays, they might have given him a little more time to actually come to a sensible decision or been more forgiving when he unsurprisingly wanted to be the center of attention again.

If they don't want Farve, then I have to agree with the sentiment of letting him go. Don't hold him hostage.

If there's a party being held hostage in this, it's the Packers. If Jerry Jones had a chance to prevent the Cowboys' best player from signing with Washington or the Giants, he'd do it in a second and we'd all understand why. If nothing else, they should require that he not sign with a team within the division as a condition of his release.