PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson and Kobe to reunite?

CosmicCowboy
02-02-2005, 10:47 AM
hmmm...talk radio this morning said the Buss, Kupchak, and Kobe met yesterday to discuss the possibility of bringing Phil Jackson back as coach and Kobe gave it his blessing...After reading PJ's book I would normally throw the bullshit flag on this rumor but Jeanne is obviously the wild card here...I can't believe they would have actually had this meeting unless Jackson had shown some interest...

office handle
02-02-2005, 10:54 AM
but but did karl malone hit on jeanne buss?

Slo spurs fan
02-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Short, oh i mean NBA forum!

boutons
02-02-2005, 10:58 AM
who gives a flying fuck?

LAL Soap Opera Forum

Useruser666
02-02-2005, 10:59 AM
I think it is BS. Not after what has happened.

Sec24Row7
02-02-2005, 11:29 AM
I would welcome it.

Put the assholes all in one place and kick their ass.

I love Shaq, I think he is a good competitor and a good person who just happend to kick our ass every year.

Put the dregs of LA back togeather.

Prop them up with a stick so we can hit them with a Semi.

tlongII
02-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Bs

Rummpd
02-02-2005, 12:25 PM
I would also enjoy both getting completely plastered out of the playoffs - if they make it.

Also, why would a prideful man like Jackson comeback there to, once abused, always abused?

LilMissSPURfect
02-02-2005, 12:27 PM
hmmm...talk radio this morning said the Buss, Kupchak, and Kobe met yesterday to discuss the possibility of bringing Phil Jackson back as coach and Kobe gave it his blessing...After reading PJ's book I would normally throw the bullshit flag on this rumor but Jeanne is obviously the wild card here...I can't believe they would have actually had this meeting unless Jackson had shown some interest...

ALL THE DRAMA....& AS FAR AS I KNOW RUDY T HASN'T ANNOUNCED HIS RESIGNATION OR HAS HE?

OR JBUSS IS JUST QUITTING ON RUDY T & FIRING HIM!

CosmicCowboy
02-02-2005, 12:28 PM
I didn't make this shit up...just told you guys about it...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/

Rummpd
02-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Repeating a post in another thread = completely classless and inane by an organization that sets itself as the "gold standard".

I have gone beyond despising them, to now hating the Lakers if it turns out they ran Rudy out when he kept them in 6th with Kobe out.

MadDoc

Kaster
02-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Repeating a post in another thread = completely classless and inane by an organization that sets itself as the "gold standard".

I have gone beyond despising them, to now hating the Lakers if it turns out they ran Rudy out when he kept them in 6th with Kobe out.

MadDoc

:lol

Suck it.

Dex
02-02-2005, 12:49 PM
After the claims Jackson made about Bryant in his book, I sincerely doubt the ZenMaster will be making a return to Los Angeles anytime so0n. If you ask me, the Clips have more of a chance of landing PJ than the Lakers at this point.

Would I want to see it happen? Sure, why the hell not. Like people have already said, it just gives us another reason to hate the Lakers again.

ducks
02-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Tomjanovich May Quit; Jackson 'Mulling' Return
By Mike Bresnahan and Tim Brown
Times Staff Writers

February 2, 2005

A reeling Laker franchise may have suffered its latest blow Tuesday, when Coach Rudy Tomjanovich informed team officials he might resign because of health concerns and the pressures that accompany his position — a move that sources said could prompt the team to ask former coach Phil Jackson to return.

Tomjanovich, hired as Laker coach in July, is suffering from symptoms of exhaustion and fatigue, and he has missed the last two games because of a stomach virus, according to Laker spokesman John Black.

Tomjanovich, 56, is in the first year of a five-year, $30-million contract. The deal includes a clause that allows the Lakers to terminate it at the end of a season if Tomjanovich's performance is affected by health issues. He was diagnosed with bladder cancer in March 2003, a condition from which he has recovered fully.

Laker owner Jerry Buss, General Manager Mitch Kupchak and sidelined star Kobe Bryant met privately for half an hour during the first quarter of Tuesday's game against the Portland Trail Blazers — "just chatting," Kupchak said afterward.

But Laker sources said Bryant was asked in the meeting what he would think if Jackson were approached about returning, and Bryant said he would agree to it.

Jackson is vacationing in Australia with Luc Longley, who played center for him with the Chicago Bulls. When asked in an e-mail about any possible scenario in which he would return to the Lakers, Jackson said: "[I am] mulling that over in my mind. Luc and I are going for a swim this p.m. [in the] Indian Ocean."

Bryant sat on the Laker bench after the meeting and appeared to be in a playful mood, smiling and talking with teammates. Bryant has been sidelined since Jan. 13 and has sat out nine games because of a severely sprained ankle.

The Lakers are 24-19 this season, including wins the last two games in which assistant Frank Hamblen has filled in for Tomjanovich. The Lakers defeated Portland on Tuesday, 92-79.

The sources said Buss told Bryant that Jackson's hiring would reduce the pressure on the Laker star since the departure of Jackson and center Shaquille O'Neal, who was traded in July to the Miami Heat.

The sources also said that Buss contemplated telling Bryant that the one person most irritated by the rehiring of Jackson would be O'Neal, who has referred to the Laker franchise only in acrimonious terms since being traded.

Jackson and the Lakers abruptly parted ways in June, with Buss suggesting that Jackson's "triangle" offense had run its course. Jackson guided the Lakers to three championships in five seasons. He won six championships in the 1990s as coach of the Chicago Bulls. Laker officials reportedly were in contact Tuesday with Jackson in Australia.

Jackson portrayed Bryant as an uncoachable enigma in his tell-all diary that hit bookstores in October. At the same time, Jackson said he wished the best for Bryant and sympathized with the constant scrutiny the young star had faced.

Bryant and Tomjanovich have had a generally cordial relationship. Tomjanovich has complimented Bryant numerous times throughout the season, which passed the halfway point last week. But there have also been disagreements.

Bryant and Tomjanovich met early last month to discuss the offense. Bryant recommended installing another offense, and Tomjanovich recommended they return to the triangle.

Bryant said Tuesday he was stunned to hear of Tomjanovich's condition, but he declined to discuss Jackson, saying, "I just want to play."

"He thought [Tomjanovich] was a great coach and a great person," said Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka. "They've had nothing but a positive experience mutually."

Privately, some players have questioned Tomjanovich's long-term plans. The offense was expected to be up-tempo, but it has evolved into more of a long-range shooting experiment, with several team records set or nearly set for three-point shots.

The Lakers have won nine championships since moving to Los Angeles in 1960, but the franchise seemed to spin out of control last season, when Bryant faced a rape charge, the team lost to Detroit in the NBA Finals, O'Neal was traded, and Jackson's contract was not renewed.

Now, a Tomjanovich chapter may be added to that.

"He's had some health issues," Black said. "This had nothing to do with cancer. It's not back. There are other health issues. He is contemplating his options on whether to continue coaching or not. When he does make a decision on that, it will be announced at the appropriate time."

Friends of Tomjanovich were stunned by the developments.

"This has blindsided me," Rocket General Manager Carroll Dawson said. "I've been trying to call him for the last 24 hours and haven't gotten through. Until I talk to Rudy, I don't know what to say except that I am shocked."

Tomjanovich, who spent his entire 11-year playing career with the Rockets, paid his dues for almost nine years as a Rocket assistant coach before getting a shot as the Rockets' head coach in February 1992, more than halfway through the 1991-92 season.

In his first full season, Tomjanovich was coach of the year in 1993. He guided the Rockets to NBA titles in 1994 and 1995.

In December 1977, Tomjanovich almost died after getting punched in the face by Laker forward Kermit Washington during an on-court fracas at the Forum. Tomjanovich, a four-time All-Star at the time, suffered compound facial fractures, and his playing career was never the same. He retired in 1981.

Tomjanovich was diagnosed with superficial bladder cancer in March 2003, ending his string of 2,601 games with the Rockets as player, assistant coach and head coach. He returned that fall as a personnel consultant.

Rudy Tomjanovich file

• Full name is Rudolph Tomjanovich, born Nov. 24, 1948, in Hamtramck, Mich.

• Averaged 25.1 points and 14.4 rebounds at the University of Michigan, including averages of 30.1 and 15.7 to earn All-America honors as a senior in 1970.

• Averaged 17.4 points and 8.1 rebounds in an 11-season NBA career with San Diego and Houston.

• Came back from a life-threatening injury when punched by the Lakers' Kermit Washington on Dec. 9, 1977, to average 19 points the following season.

• Compiled a 503-397 record in 12 seasons coaching Houston, with Midwest Division titles in 1993 and 1994.

• Coached Houston to a 4-3 victory over New York in the 1994 NBA Finals and a four-game sweep of Orlando in the 1995 Finals.

• Coached the United States to a third-place finish in the 1998 World Championships, and a gold medal in the 2000 Olympics.

Los Angeles Times

samikeyp
02-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Why would Phil want to come back? He is probably at home laughing his ass off!

Kori Ellis
02-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Rudy is officially gone now. But will stay on as a consultant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1982487

PM5K
02-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Rudy is officially gone now. But will stay on as a consultant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1982487

I guess the Lakers missed the drama, playing like crap wasn't drama enough.....

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Do the Lakers have even an outside chance at winning the title? Heck no.

There is no way that Phil is going back there. P

None.

Nada.

I'd put all of my V-Bookie dollars on it.

Tek_XX
02-02-2005, 04:51 PM
If Phil Jackson is to come back and rebuild a program, he would take the Knicks over the Lakers. Why the hell would he come back to Lakerland to lose? It would be fun to see though, just imagine shaq in the lane, brings back old memories, excempt this time we'd cream theres azzes.

adidas11
02-02-2005, 05:02 PM
I seriously doubt Phil would come back, unless the Lakers offered DOUBLE what he was making before.

GoSpurs21
02-02-2005, 05:31 PM
on ESPN they said Phil is currently swimming in the Indian Ocean with Luke Longly

Medvedenko
02-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Why would Phil take a Job anywhere else....
LA has Kobe...still one of the most special players in the NBA...
Tex Winters was just on the radio and both him and Phil have discussed the Laker team this year and state that it would be the most Triangle friendly team in all of the Laker years. He also said that anytime you have Kobe on your team, you can threaten for a championship given the right circumstances.

foodie2
02-02-2005, 05:44 PM
After reading Phil's book, all I have to say is that if I were Kobe, I would never play for Phil again. Not that I think Phil said anything untrue about Kobe... but I would think that for someone with Kobe's ego, playing under Phil now could be seen as demeaning.

Sec24Row7
02-02-2005, 05:53 PM
"Any time you have Kobe on your team you can threaten for a championship given the right circumstances"

As long as the right Circumstances include the Spurs not being in their way.

rr2418
02-02-2005, 06:08 PM
on ESPN they said Phil is currently swimming in the Indian Ocean with Luke Longly

Hmmm! Didn't think Luc was Phil's type of "partner" ;)

Kaster
02-02-2005, 06:17 PM
"Any time you have Kobe on your team you can threaten for a championship given the right circumstances"

As long as the right Circumstances include the Spurs not being in their way.

I wouldn't say that. If the Lakers find a strong power forward to bully the hell out of Duncan the way Malone did last year, I like the Lakers chances, especially with a good PG.

Why would Phil want to come back? He is probably at home laughing his ass off!

Because he said during the season he'd like to coach the Lakers if he did come back. Jeannie Buss (his girlfriend) just said a few minutes ago on ESPN radio that Phil will consider the Lakers when he coaches in the NBA next season. Yes, Phil will coach again next year.

I still don't want Phil Jackson though, he has lost all his pervious drive and ambition to improve the team on both sides of the ball, especially defensively, and dictates horrible personnel decisions (triangle only players).

ShoogarBear
02-02-2005, 07:29 PM
The real burning question:

If Phyllis comes back, does Mailman come back for the Lakers, too?

Rummpd
02-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Who cares - Lakers will still be a second rate team and their flameouts will be even more glorious!

pjjrfan
02-02-2005, 11:16 PM
This is LA LA land, I wouldn't put anything past these guys. The Lakers know drama, and they welcome it, damm, the more things change for these guys the more they stay the same. Except for the record, I like that they are losing more often.

CHAMPS AGAIN
02-03-2005, 11:15 AM
This is LA LA land, I wouldn't put anything past these guys. The Lakers know drama, and they welcome it, damm, the more things change for these guys the more they stay the same. Except for the record, I like that they are losing more often.

We all know this is what the national media wants so that espn(SUCKS) will talked about the lakers for 1 hour every night instead of 30 minutes of why the lakers will make the playoffs and have a very good chance of making the finals.I can just see it now kobe-phil vrs.SHAQ who is going to win.

LAKERS-ESPN they really SUCKKKKK

Jimcs50
02-03-2005, 04:53 PM
Phil will be back in LA next year...bank on it.

exstatic
02-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Phil will be back in LA next year...bank on it.
Why do you say that? He has had exactly two NBA head coaching jobs. BOTH teams, the Bulls and the Lakers, had already made it to the conference finals, had rosters basicly intact, but fallen short. Phil will only set himself up for success, and LA's roster is a recipe for a first round flameout, or worse. There is only one star, Phil doesn't get along with him, and the star has shown a propensity to "break" the offense with little or no prompting. The only team I can see him interested in coaching wears Black and Silver, and, well, that gig is taken by the guy who happens to be President of the club. :smokin

Tough sledding, Phillip. You're going to have to work for that tenth title, as there is really no nice situation for you to step into this time.

CosmicCowboy
02-03-2005, 05:14 PM
I dunno Jim...I read Phils book about last season and he REALLY doesn't like Kobe...and doesn't like coaching him...

KEDA
02-03-2005, 05:29 PM
I dunno Jim...I read Phils book about last season and he REALLY doesn't like Kobe...and doesn't like coaching him...

I agree, Im almost finished with it, and agree that there is NO WAY IN HELL Phil will be back!

Jimcs50
02-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Why do you say that? He has had exactly two NBA head coaching jobs. BOTH teams, the Bulls and the Lakers, had already made it to the conference finals, had rosters basicly intact, but fallen short. Phil will only set himself up for success, and LA's roster is a recipe for a first round flameout, or worse. There is only one star, Phil doesn't get along with him, and the star has shown a propensity to "break" the offense with little or no prompting. The only team I can see him interested in coaching wears Black and Silver, and, well, that gig is taken by the guy who happens to be President of the club. :smokin

Tough sledding, Phillip. You're going to have to work for that tenth title, as there is really no nice situation for you to step into this time.

First of all, Phil can handle a Kobe that is the Alpha dog on the team. He will not be in the middle of a pissing contest any more, because Kobe will have no peer on the team. He would do just fine with Kobe this 2nd time around. obe has found out that he needs Phil, and Phil needs a superstar.

Second of all Phil can build this team with Buss's checkbook back into a contender. Phil would never go to the Knicks because they are horrible and have no cap space.

Rummpd
02-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Jackson going to Lakers would only scare me 2-3 years down the line when an Amare or the like might jump to that ship. Short term no worries and it would be worth it to see the angst on his face and the bemused smirk go bad for a couple of years or more.

Plus I give him and Kobe a 6th month honeymoon then all #$%^ break out again.