PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Offer Carlos Delfino 2 Year Deal

gmanrulz
07-02-2008, 08:16 PM
http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2008/07/02/basquet/01706524.html

If someone can care to translate the rest...

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 08:17 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98562

T Park
07-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Nice.

Backup plan in case Maggette shoots you down.

I assume they offered the LLE.

Maggette would start
Ginobili Delfino Oberto off the bench.

Niiiice :)

bigdog
07-02-2008, 08:18 PM
already posted in 2 seperate threads

Mr.Bottomtooth
So long Barry. :depressed

Avitus1
Interesting.

bigdog
07-02-2008, 08:19 PM

Delfino could still accept one of the ridiculous offers he gets overseas.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Delfino could still accept one of the ridiculous offers he gets overseas.

Hopefully.

LakerHater
07-02-2008, 08:20 PM

http://db.funformobile.com/images/smiles/wave.gif (javascript:emoticon('form_text',':bye:'))

T Park
07-02-2008, 08:21 PM

Honestly,

I could think of worse replacements.

koopa
07-02-2008, 08:23 PM
so much for trying to improve the team..........

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Delfinos a really good player. i would actually LOVE this if the spurs can also land Maggette.

talk about getting younger in a really short time! Delfino and Maggette from Finley and barry??

i dont know about yall but ill take it

urunobili
07-02-2008, 08:28 PM
for the LLE i have no problem with that... Fin should be back as an assist coach.. Barry.. damn i'll miss you Bones.. :depressed

bigdog
07-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Delfinos a really good player. i would actually LOVE this if the spurs can also land Maggette.

talk about getting younger in a really short time! Delfino and Maggette from Finley and barry??

it seems pretty good, but Maggette could go somewhere else in the NBA for more money, and Delfino could go somewhere overseas for much more money.

We're basically in the same situation with both of them.

Big P

I dont think he is signed or anything....if its for more than the LLE i'm gonna be pissed...If his agent is looking at it, Im sure he's looking at some nice Euro offers as well....we'll see

baseline bum
I'd much rather bring Barry back if possible.

timvp
07-02-2008, 08:33 PM
I've said this before but I just don't like Delfino. He's nothing like any other Argentine player I've seen. He's not humble. He's not a team player. He doesn't have good fundamentals. The only real hope is that Ginobili and Oberto can keep him in line and have him focus on just playing. It might work ... or he could turn so emo during the season that the Spurs have to waive him.

Far from a sure thing but might be worth a LLE contract ... if other better options such as Roger Mason don't pan out.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 08:33 PM

i would too.but if you have the chance to sign Delfino and Maggette in one swoop and keep your BIG 3??

idk about you bro but thats a chance thats comes few and far inbetween

Sway
07-02-2008, 08:34 PM
I have a question, doesnt this guy shoot a low percentage? How is he supposed to replace Barry if this is the case? I dont know much about this guy so please excuse my ignorance.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 08:35 PM
I've said this before but I just don't like Delfino. He's nothing like any other Argentine player I've seen. He's not humble. He's not a team player. He doesn't have good fundamentals. The only real hope is that Ginobili and Oberto can keep him in line and have him focus on just playing. It might work ... or he could turn so emo during the season that the Spurs have to waive him.

Far from a sure thing but might be worth a LLE contract ... if other better options such as Roger Mason don't pan out.

u might be harsh to judge him to quick. he does seem like he is a premadona. but im sure if hes put in the right enviorment he will buy into the system and be a great role player

urunobili
07-02-2008, 08:35 PM
what i don't like about this is that the Spurs seem to be sure that Hairstron won't make it by any meanings... that sucks...

Mr. Body
07-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Spurs are clearly targeting wings that can rebound.

If true... Delfino, Maggette are both good rebounders.

All 3 draft picks are very good rebounders for their positions.

bigdog
07-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Spurs are clearly targeting wings that can rebound.

If true... Delfino, Maggette are both good rebounders.

All 3 draft picks are very good rebounders for their positions.

That definitely seems like that's what they're aiming for.

baseline bum
07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
This guy was such a baby in Detroit. Delfino's a legend in his own mind.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-02-2008, 08:39 PM
I wish we could get rid of Finley and somehow keep Barry

timvp
u might be harsh to judge him to quick. he does seem like he is a premadona. but im sure if hes put in the right enviorment he will buy into the system and be a great role playerI've followed him pretty closely over the year so I don't think I'm judging him too quick. He was on the Pistons for all but one year of his career, so it wasn't like he was on horrible teams.

Delfino is known commodity at this point. It's worth the roll of the dice for a reasonable contract if Ginobili and Oberto agree to it ... but you can't sugarcoat his career to this point.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Eh.

Kori Ellis
07-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Boy, Spurs fans are going to go crazy if the Spurs are giving Delfino part of the MLE and not really making an offer to Maggette. :lmao

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 08:41 PM
I've followed him pretty closely over the year so I don't think I'm judging him too quick. He was on the Pistons for all but one year of his career, so it wasn't like he was on horrible teams.

Delfino is known commodity at this point. It's worth the roll of the dice for a reasonable contract if Ginobili and Oberto agree to it ... but you can't sugarcoat his career to this point.

well let me ask you this than?

if you were the Spurs FO, who would you sign for the LLE?

Brent Barry or Carlos Delfino?

Mr.Bottomtooth
Boy, Spurs fans are going to go crazy if the Spurs are giving Delfino part of the MLE and not really making an offer to Maggette. :lmao

Ah, shit.

Mr.Bottomtooth

Barry, no question.

bigdog

I'm actually starting to think they might be doing just that. :lol

Ok, it's not funny, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Delfino as the 5th swingman? I'm not losing any sleep over it.

T Park
07-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Delfino as the 5th swingman? I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Hells yes.

timvp
07-02-2008, 08:43 PM

Brent Barry or Carlos Delfino?Depends who else comprises the swingman rotation. If the Spurs miss out on all the big names, might have to go with Delfino with the hope that he suddenly figures it out.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Depends who else comprises the swingman rotation. If the Spurs miss out on all the big names, might have to go with Delfino with the hope that he suddenly figures it out.

exactly my point.

RIGHT NOW barry is injury prone and not young anymore.

Delfino is young,strong, and can defend. problem is hes streaky at best. but hes athletic and can defend and hes a freakin argentinian!! cant go wrong with that.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-02-2008, 08:49 PM
exactly my point.

RIGHT NOW barry is injury prone and not young anymore.

Delfino is young,strong, and can defend. problem is hes streaky at best. but hes athletic and can defend and hes a freakin argentinian!! cant go wrong with that.

He hasn't proved all the qualities all the other Argies in the NBA did, in fact, quite the opposite. He always had a tremendous potential, but always failed to deliver...hopefully with Manu and Fabricio around he changes the microchip in his head and doesn't end buried in Pop's doghouse.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2008, 08:51 PM
He hasn't proved all the qualities all the other Argies in the NBA did, in fact, quite the opposite. He always had a tremendous potential, but always failed to deliver...hopefully with Manu and Fabricio around he changes the microchip in his head and doesn't end buried in Pop's doghouse.

thats what im trying to say!!

the fact that hes argentinian will help us because he has the argentinain chemistry with Fab and Gino.

that alone is worth the LLE...:blah

spurman20
07-02-2008, 08:58 PM

Delfino for sure! He is much better going to the basket and creating contact and he is much stronger. Much like barry he has no mid range game to speak of but he can get to the basket and is 12 yrs younger

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Delfino arrives at the Spurs practice facility for the first time.

One of the coaches handles him #94 or something like that.

"No way, 20 is my number"

http://pistonsnotebook.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/delfino1.jpg

http://www.nba.com/media/act_carlos_delfino.jpg

Is #8 available? Just to indicate "Not even the half of #20"

Cant_Be_Faded
07-02-2008, 09:03 PM
:rollin

and the spurs are starting free agency just like they have every single year since summer '03.

Aim for the dregs, end up with crap.

T Park
07-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Attention Whore

urunobili
07-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Depends who else comprises the swingman rotation. If the Spurs miss out on all the big names, might have to go with Delfino with the hope that he suddenly figures it out.

Do you think Pietrus would work better than Delfino with us?

1Parker1
07-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Delfino seems like a guy destined to be in Pop's doghouse.

I still don't understand why the Spurs appear to have given up on Brent Barry :madrun

SenorSpur
07-02-2008, 09:11 PM
I hope this is not a fallback option to the pending Maggette acquisition. I admit I've not been impressed with this guy the few times I've seen him. Though he could be a nice addition off the bench.

I also wonder if the R.C and Pop ever call up previous coaches, GMs for their feedback on a particular player before signing him. I'm sure this level of "due diligence" is performed, but I've never heard about it before.

Having said that, I wonder why Delfino didn't work out at his previous two stops?

Ronaldo McDonald
07-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Delfino arrives at the Spurs practice facility for the first time.

One of the coaches handles him #94 or something like that.

"No way, 20 is my number"

http://pistonsnotebook.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/delfino1.jpg

http://www.nba.com/media/act_carlos_delfino.jpg

Is #8 available? Just to indicate "Not even the half of #20"

This guy looks like a giant fuckin douchebag, and we should avoid offering him anything for that reason alone.

Sign Petrius.

Tully365
07-02-2008, 09:12 PM
If Maggette isn't possible, Delfino + Pietrus wouldn't be bad.

Last year it was Finley, Barry, Vaugn going into the season. Delfino, Pietrus, Hill is an upgrade in youth and athleticsm over that, and more importantly are upgrades in terms of trade assets. Maggette & Delfino would be a very successful off season.

Ocotillo
07-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Wouldn't it suck if the Spurs offered the LLE only to be outbid by Tau.....

tav1
07-02-2008, 09:13 PM
I've followed him pretty closely over the year so I don't think I'm judging him too quick. He was on the Pistons for all but one year of his career, so it wasn't like he was on horrible teams.

If I may, I live near Detroit and have watched a lot of Delfino, including a handful of Raps games. What timVP says about his character and skill set is pretty much dead on. But even given all the warts mentioned, he's probably still a 2.5 or 3 million a year guy. To get him for the LLE would be well worth it.

Three notes: 1) he is a glory-hound, but he's ultra competitive and will sometimes channel his inner-Ginobli when pissed off; 2) the best aspect of his game is his defense--but only when he wants it, he goes through periods of laziness--and can really bother guys when he turns it on 3) he's a streak three shooter, but fairly good in that area.

He'd fit in the offense if asked to play 15 to 20 minutes per night. In fact, I think he would be a marked improvement over Finley. In their primes, you take Fin 100/100 times, but at this point Delfino is a step or two up in terms of his own ability and in terms if spelling Ginobli.

I'm going long here, but I think Delfino is the sort of player that would really do well floating on the perimeter as Maggette and Parker get into the lane or teams collapse on Duncan. That should further elevate his production. Offensively, the Spurs would give every team in the league fits with Parker, Ginobli, Delfino and Maggette.

That's a lot to account for. Really, it's just an incredibly good roster. Any added production from Mahinmi or Hill, or second year improved play from Thomas or Udoka, would just be icing on the cake. There is no question that adding Maggette and Delfino would make this a championship team.

Damn Pop for standing pat and remaining old as dirt.

SenorSpur
07-02-2008, 09:14 PM
]If Maggette isn't possible, Delfino + Pietrus wouldn't be bad. [/B]

Last year it was Finley, Barry, Vaugn going into the season. Delfino, Pietrus, Hill is an upgrade in youth and athleticsm over that, and more importantly are upgrades in terms of trade assets. Maggette & Delfino would be a very successful off season.

I agree wholeheartedly!

:toast

resistanze
07-02-2008, 09:16 PM
What I didn't like about Delfino is that he seems to think he's a better shooter than he actually is. He sometimes take 2-3 ill advised shots that makes a 2-5 point game back to to a 10 point deficit. He's like a career 40% shooter.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-02-2008, 09:17 PM
How am I an attention whore? I point out the obvious to start a ruckus-infused spurstalk conversation.

And I am still not believing how many posters on this board still get excited about free agency. We are going to end up with another Udoka or Tony Massenburg and that is it.

As the timvp would say, I am making contrarian posts.

Tully365
07-02-2008, 09:19 PM
I can't imagine the FO didn't at least talk to Manu & Oberto before considering an offer. If Pop and those two are good with it, I'm good with it. Oberto plays better with manu on the floor and I imagine Delfino would too.

tav1
07-02-2008, 09:23 PM
What I didn't like about Delfino is that he seems to think he's a better shooter than he actually is. He sometimes take 2-3 ill advised shots that makes a 2-5 point game back to to a 10 point deficit. He's like a career 40% shooter.

He's got your typical playground game--he's good at getting to the hoop and launching threes, but he has no mid range game to speak of. He's three point percentage is higher than his mid range percentage, I'm sure. I think he shot 40% or so from 3 last year.

Tully365
07-02-2008, 09:24 PM
If I may, I live near Detroit and have watched a lot of Delfino, including a handful of Raps games. What timVP says about his character and skill set is pretty much dead on. But even given all the warts mentioned, he's probably still a 2.5 or 3 million a year guy. To get him for the LLE would be well worth it.

Three notes: 1) he is a glory-hound, but he's ultra competitive and will sometimes channel his inner-Ginobli when pissed off; 2) the best aspect of his game is his defense--but only when he wants it, he goes through periods of laziness--and can really bother guys when he turns it on 3) he's a streak three shooter, but fairly good in that area.

He'd fit in the offense if asked to play 15 to 20 minutes per night. In fact, I think he would be a marked improvement over Finley. In their primes, you take Fin 100/100 times, but at this point Delfino is a step or two up in terms of his own ability and in terms if spelling Ginobli.

I'm going long here, but I think Delfino is the sort of player that would really do well floating on the perimeter as Maggette and Parker get into the lane or teams collapse on Duncan. That should further elevate his production. Offensively, the Spurs would give every team in the league fits with Parker, Ginobli, Delfino and Maggette.

That's a lot to account for. Really, it's just an incredibly good roster. Any added production from Mahinmi or Hill, or second year improved play from Thomas or Udoka, would just be icing on the cake. There is no question that adding Maggette and Delfino would make this a championship team.

Damn Pop for standing pat and remaining old as dirt.

Ultra competitive, takes pride in D... that's an LLE player!
There's no way his character or attitude defects come close to J R Smith's.

tav1
07-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Ultra competitive, takes pride in D... that's an LLE player!
There's no way his character or attitude defects come close to J R Smith's.

Well, be careful. It's ego competitive, which is sometimes detrimental. But he does get that crazed Argentine stare going. And he *sometimes* takes pride in D. Without Maggette, Delfino would constiture a subpar signing. With Maggette, he's a great addition.

Agree about Smith.

T_MONEY_TX
07-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Was Delfino a big part of that arg team that won it all a few years ago? Barry and fin are playoff tested.

2centsworth
07-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Delfino is a good athlete.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Was Delfino a big part of that arg team that won it all a few years ago? Barry and fin are playoff tested.

Not a big part. He was a role player coming from the bench, giving Manu rest.

Tully365
07-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Well, be careful. It's ego competitive, which is sometimes detrimental. But he does get that crazed Argentine stare going. And he *sometimes* takes pride in D. Without Maggette, Delfino would constiture a subpar signing. With Maggette, he's a great addition.

Agree about Smith.

I wouldn't like this if it was part of the MLE, but if it's the LLE then I'd say a Delfino type of player is about the absolute ceiling in terms of talent & potential. Diop just got the entire MLE according to reports! Even Azubuike is expected to ask for at least 3 mil per. Toss in the familiarity with oberto & Ginobili, and I think you've got a steal.

DPG21920
07-02-2008, 09:47 PM
There is no way, that if the Spurs actually made him an offer, that it would be for less than half the MLE, which means bye bye Maggette, Smith, Childress or anyone like that...

bigdog
07-02-2008, 09:49 PM
There is no way, that if the Spurs actually made him an offer, that it would be for less than half the MLE, which means bye bye Maggette, Smith, Childress or anyone like that...

That's what I'm thinking, too.

The LLE would be too small for him, given the $70 million offer he got overseas. I'm thinking they're offering 2 years, half the MLE, and the opportunity to play with his buddies Manu and Fab to try and lure him to San Antonio.

DPG21920
07-02-2008, 09:53 PM
That would ruin all my happy feelings if that were true. Not because I am set on J.R. or Corey, those would just be absolute bonuses, but because there are so many other players worth that money that could help out imo.

exstatic
07-02-2008, 09:56 PM
That's what I'm thinking, too.

The LLE would be too small for him, given the $70 million offer he got overseas. I'm thinking they're offering 2 years, half the MLE, and the opportunity to play with his buddies Manu and Fab to try and lure him to San Antonio.

To someone with an alleged $70M offer, half the MLE and the LLE are indistinguishable.

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2008, 09:58 PM
if they sign him, whats next? fabio?

urunobili
07-02-2008, 09:59 PM
where is whottt when you need him :devil

exstatic
07-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Oh, and MLE deals must be for three years, minimum. You can offer an opt out, but in some way shape or form, it must be three years.

DPG21920
07-02-2008, 10:07 PM
By your estimation then exstatic, Delfino is unattainable. If he has a 70 million dollar offer, and no team can offer him more than the MLE than it does not matter the decision is made.

raspsa
07-02-2008, 10:08 PM
I like his strength and toughness on the perimeter if he can bring it on a consistent basis.. Pop, Manu and Fab will help keep him motivated and focused hopefully. A poor man's Nocioni but can definitely help the Spurs defend the LeBrons, Kobes etc.

El_Mago
07-02-2008, 10:09 PM
WTF is Carlos Delfino thinking if he really got offered 70 million dollars in Europe.

I would not even consider the LLE or half of the MLE....anyone would be completely retarded to settle for that. But, I don't believe that 70 million offer is legit anyways.

However, if the Spurs could some how pull off this line-up.....I would be stoked!

Parker, Hill, Vaughn
Maggette, Ginobili, Hairston
Bowen, Delfino, Udoka
Duncan, Horry, Bonner
Oberto, Thomas, Mahinmi

Too damn good to be true.

timvp
07-02-2008, 10:09 PM
ROFL @ the idea that Delfino is being offered $70M in Europe.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 10:12 PM

Artest received a 3 year, $73 million offer from the Athens Trojan Horses according to the forum's Greek correspondent.

DPG21920
07-02-2008, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=Too damn good to be true.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Don't these Maggette talks reek of pre draft talks where we all got hopes up, put in our two cents only to find out the Spurs went a different direction. If we get Maggette, fantastic, if we do not, we should not have gotten our hopes up. We can still get some good players.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
07-02-2008, 10:13 PM

:lol:lol:lol

exstatic
07-02-2008, 10:14 PM
By your estimation then exstatic, Delfino is unattainable. If he has a 70 million dollar offer, and no team can offer him more than the MLE than it does not matter the decision is made.

Someone was implying that it must be a partial MLE deal. I just pointed out the obvious. That's all I'm saying. I doubt he's unattainable, because I doubt there is any $70M offer on the table.

I like Delfino because he didn't take any fucking shit from LB. I find that to be a good quality.

gmanrulz
07-02-2008, 10:14 PM

in that case he better take the europe contract cuz if he doesnt then he's stupid and i dont want stupid people on the team

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2008, 10:15 PM
delfino is talkn out of his ass

has there even a player in europe atm earning that much?

SequSpur
07-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Delfino blows.

Spurtacus
07-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I'd rather have Barry. Maybe even Roger Mason.

timvp
07-02-2008, 10:21 PM
If Maggette gets scooped up by someone else and the top restricted free agents such as JR Smith and Josh Childress are attainable, landing a combination of Delfino and Pietrus could work. Neither one is a great scorer but the defense would be improved, the rebounding would be a lot better and the Spurs would actually have some perimeter athletes.

That said, it's hard to imagine landing both. Delfino will likely attract MLE money when it's all said and done and so will Pietrus. The hope would be Delfino for the LLE and Pietrus for the MLE.

The good news is the Spurs are casting a large net this offseason should be able to get at least one quality swingman. It's unclear who but the notion of the Spur standing pat has pretty much been proven false.

ducks
07-02-2008, 10:35 PM
just because he is an agie does not make him great

he is a big fucking baby

Big P
07-02-2008, 10:42 PM
If Maggette gets scooped up by someone else and the top restricted free agents such as JR Smith and Josh Childress are attainable, landing a combination of Delfino and Pietrus could work. Neither one is a great scorer but the defense would be improved, the rebounding would be a lot better and the Spurs would actually have some perimeter athletes.

That said, it's hard to imagine landing both. Delfino will likely attract MLE money when it's all said and done and so will Pietrus. The hope would be Delfino for the LLE and Pietrus for the MLE.

The good news is the Spurs are casting a large net this offseason should be able to get at least one quality swingman. It's unclear who but the notion of the Spur standing pat has pretty much been proven false.

No doubt..if Maggs is a no go, to me the next best move would be to get Pietrus & Delfino.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Delfino is everything I worry about in Maggette without the associated talent.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Buy low. The Raptors didn't give him the qualifying offer. Maybe some team offers him a big chunk of their MLE. I'm not sure. He has the skills to be an effective bench swingman for the Spurs. 25 years old.

As the primary swingman pickup this summer he'd be underwhelming. But as an additional one, he'd be a pretty good gamble.

BOHOLANO#21
07-02-2008, 10:46 PM
DELFINO will work. obviously an upgrade than bringing back finley.

gmanrulz
07-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Gd2--een7SI&feature=related

DPG21920
07-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Ya but for how much? There is no way he takes a pay cut and he made almost 2 mil last year. One would have to believe any offer to be taken serious would have to be around 3 mil which eats up half the MLE and all the chances for Maggette or J.R. or Childress. This would be un dude like.

DPG21920
07-02-2008, 10:54 PM
As the primary swingman pickup this summer he'd be underwhelming. But as an additional one, he'd be a pretty good gamble.

Exactly.

loveforthegame
07-02-2008, 10:59 PM
I still don't understand why the Spurs appear to have given up on Brent Barry :madrun

I don't think they've given up on him so much as they want to get younger and that means no Barry or Finley.

I just hate the idea of Barry or Finley shooting 3's in a Houston, Dallas, or Laker uniform.

HarlemHeat37
07-02-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm not a fan of Delfino..his style is too similar to a poor man's Manu..not the way they play, but the fact that they're both severely erratic players..they're both risky players that can come out and give you a great game, but can also come out any game and have bad games..not much of a middle ground..

I'd rather have Manu and then a more consistent SG with him, like Brent Barry..

Typhoon
07-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Delfino can shoot, dunk, rebound, slash, really good defender... He fits a lot of the needs of the Spurs, with Manu and Oberto he will be motivated and the chemistry off the bench would be insane.

I think Delfino would work, he has so much to prove.

Blackjack
07-02-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm not down with this if we're going to lose our only 2 pure 3-point shooters.(Finley,Barry)

Does anyone remember 2004? Teams will just pack the paint like the Lakers did in the playoffs.

If we're fortunate enough to land Maggette, Barry and/or Finley (preferably Barry) has to be retained. We have to have some proven clutch 3-point shooting to keep defenses honest. Delfino and Pietrus dont fit the bill.

SenorSpur
07-02-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm not down with this if we're going to lose our only 2 pure 3-point shooters.(Finley,Barry)

Does anyone remember 2004? Teams will just pack the paint like the Lakers did in the playoffs.

If we're fortunate enough to land Maggette, Barry and/or Finley (preferably Barry) has to be retained. We have to have some proven clutch 3-point shooting to keep defenses honest. Delfino and Pietrus dont fit the bill.

Both Delfino and Pietrus CAN hit the 3-ball. While they're not the prolific 3-ball shooters that Finley and Barry are, they DO have that range. On the flip side, they're not one-trick ponies either.

Blackjack
07-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Both Delfino and Pietrus CAN hit the 3-ball. While they're not the prolific 3-ball shooters that Finley and Barry are, they DO have that range. On the flip side, they're not one-trick ponies either.

So could Hedo. :lol

Blackjack
07-02-2008, 11:21 PM

Oh, and there's nothing wrong with having some proven one-trick ponies if you've got a Big 4.

SenorSpur
07-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Delfino can shoot, dunk, rebound, slash, really good defender... He fits a lot of the needs of the Spurs, with Manu and Oberto he will be motivated and the chemistry off the bench would be insane.

I think Delfino would work, he has so much to prove.

Don't you mean he has so much to give?
- apologies to late, great, Barry White

Marklar MM
07-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Delfino is pretty good defensively, can go to the hole, has pretty good handles, and is good on the break. He is a streak shooter as previously mentioned...and he shoots even when he is completely off to the detriment of the team at times.

He was in the doghouse for a while in Detroit, and seemed to be a bit on the mentally weak side, complaining about Larry Brown and others in Argentinian papers when things weren't going his way.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-02-2008, 11:38 PM
If we're going to get Delfino, can we get Hermann too? It'll simplify things for the second string, we can even bring in Magnano to coach them..

jcrod
07-02-2008, 11:39 PM
At this point any of the available FA will be an upgrade from last season.

Blackjack
07-02-2008, 11:41 PM
If we're going to get Delfino, can we get Hermann too? It'll simplify things for the second string, we can even bring in Magnano to coach them..

:tu

Maradona, strength and conditioning coach???

Spurtacus
07-02-2008, 11:53 PM

and Nocioni

objective
07-03-2008, 01:19 AM

True, the potential wing acquisitions sure aren't sharpshooters in the playoffs.

Finley at this point is so bad in every other area that he doesn't shoot well enough to keep him the court. He shot 36.5% from 3 in the playoffs, next year would be even worse.

Barry on the other hand shot 3-pointer at 46.3%, and is able to pass the ball well still at this point.

Unfortunately all the other options aren't great shooters either. But the hope is that they'd be able to affect the game in other ways like rebounding or defense that they have a positive effect on the game even if they're not shooting well.

Carlos Delfino in the 08 playoffs shot a miserable 26.7% from three. In 2007 he was even more revolting in the playoffs, in those 16 games he vomited up 18.8% shooting from 3.

The other options aren't much better in the playoffs.

Corey Maggette's only playoff run in 2006 he only shot 33.3% from three. Sure, he was better in the 2008 regular season shooting 38.4% from three. BUT in 2007 he shot a disgusting 20% from three for the season. And he's a career 33% shooter.

Mickael Pietrus in his lone playoff run in 2007 shot only 25.9% from three. The 2008 regular season was only 35.3% from downtown.

Even JR Smith hasn't been that great with regards to the playoffs. This year against the Lakers he only shot 31.8% from three. In 2007 against the Spurs in the first round, he shot a mindboggling 0% on 0-12 shooting from downtown.

So no matter what this offseason, if the Spurs lose Barry they're likely going to have a dropoff in 3-point shooting efficiency.

Blackjack
07-03-2008, 01:47 AM
True, the potential wing acquisitions sure aren't sharpshooters in the playoffs.

Finley at this point is so bad in every other area that he doesn't shoot well enough to keep him the court. He shot 36.5% from 3 in the playoffs, next year would be even worse.

Barry on the other hand shot 3-pointer at 46.3%, and is able to pass the ball well still at this point.

Unfortunately all the other options aren't great shooters either. But the hope is that they'd be able to affect the game in other ways like rebounding or defense that they have a positive effect on the game even if they're not shooting well.

Carlos Delfino in the 08 playoffs shot a miserable 26.7% from three. In 2007 he was even more revolting in the playoffs, in those 16 games he vomited up 18.8% shooting from 3.

The other options aren't much better in the playoffs.

Corey Maggette's only playoff run in 2006 he only shot 33.3% from three. Sure, he was better in the 2008 regular season shooting 38.4% from three. BUT in 2007 he shot a disgusting 20% from three for the season. And he's a career 33% shooter.

Mickael Pietrus in his lone playoff run in 2007 shot only 25.9% from three. The 2008 regular season was only 35.3% from downtown.

Even JR Smith hasn't been that great with regards to the playoffs. This year against the Lakers he only shot 31.8% from three. In 2007 against the Spurs in the first round, he shot a mindboggling 0% on 0-12 shooting from downtown.

So no matter what this offseason, if the Spurs lose Barry they're likely going to have a dropoff in 3-point shooting efficiency.

Exactly. :tu

Barry's more important than most realize, and expecting to bring in 2-3 new rotation players on the wing to pick-up where Barry/Finley left off... In there first year in this system? Under playoff pressure? We've all seen how even the best shooters struggle.(Kerr, Barry)

I realize we might have to find a way to get it done with less than ideal 3-point shooting, but Delfino and Pietrus are the types that shrink in the clutch. The last thing I want to see in big moments is: players passing-up open shots/3's, players over-passing, and players driving where there are no lanes because they're afraid to take a shot. It absolutely kills the offense and demoralizes the team.

I'm not against Pietrus as much as Delfino, because I feel he can fill a role similar to Bowen. Granted he lacks Bruces grit on defense, but he brings great athleticism and he's comfortable shooting from the corners.

I'm praying though for Maggette and Barry.

thekingrobert
07-03-2008, 01:51 AM
who had a post man such as duncan though he makes things a lot easier

timvp
07-03-2008, 01:57 AM
So no matter what this offseason, if the Spurs lose Barry they're likely going to have a dropoff in 3-point shooting efficiency.If you want to look at it another way, the two worst percentage shooting playoffs for Barry resulted in championships. The rest resulted in early fishing trips.

Blackjack
07-03-2008, 01:58 AM
who had a post man such as duncan though he makes things a lot easier

Duncan provides people with open shots, not the balls to take/make those shots.

Blackjack
07-03-2008, 02:01 AM
If you want to look at it another way, the two worst percentage shooting playoffs for Barry resulted in championships. The rest resulted in early fishing trips.

Yeah, but Barry among others reputation for hitting those shots kept defenses honest.

Maybe they weren't hitting a great percentage, but those driving-lanes were open for penetration.

spurman20
07-03-2008, 02:02 AM
I don't think they've given up on him so much as they want to get younger and that means no Barry or Finley.

I just hate the idea of Barry or Finley shooting 3's in a Houston, Dallas, or Laker uniform.

I still think they will resign barry, the lakers will never sign barry or fin due to lux tax.....they are blowing smoke. They still have to worry about signing turri and sasha and are already at almost 80m and bynum wants a max extention....I would be surprised if the lakers sign anyone.

thekingrobert
07-03-2008, 02:23 AM
also Fino and Maggs would bring more fouls and more free throw shooting because they are able to penetrate, I want Barry back though

roycrikside
07-03-2008, 02:43 AM
I'm with TimVP on this one, I don't like Delfino as a player. He's never had the stones to get it done when it matters. Also, I'm not sure playing with Manu would help him much. I think he's gotten compared to Manu so much in his career, especially in Argentina, that he has let it get into his head and affect his play. I'm afraid if the two of them are together he'd try to make it a competition and play selfishly. It's not a good fit at all.

Manudona
07-03-2008, 02:48 AM
As someone said, when Delfino is in a mood to defend, he is a very good defender, I remember a match between Pistons and Miami where Wade was scoring at will, Delfino entered the game and haunted Wade all over the court, resulting in Wade scoring 0 ZERO points while Delfino was on court. As soon as he sat, Wade started scoring again, no fricking kidding.

Now, with Pop and the threat of the doghouse, I am willing to believe he will bring his "A" defense :toast

thekingrobert
07-03-2008, 02:50 AM
if he can play team ball he brings everything to the table you can want out the 2 or 3 positions

Tully365
07-03-2008, 03:01 AM
I think Maggette and JR Smith will play it cool for a while and see what happens with Baron Davis, Brand, Josh Smith, etc., and wait to find out who might have the ability to make an offer above the MLE. If you accept this as a likely strategy, then it makes sense to use the LLE before the MLE. If Delfino is willing to sign for two years at LLE, there's really no risk involved. He's younger & more athletic than the back-up wings of the past couple years-- a step in the right direction-- and if it's not a good fit he's a tradable asset. I think expecting anything more than that with the LLE is really a stretch.

thekingrobert
07-03-2008, 03:03 AM
I think Maggette and JR Smith will play it cool for a while and see what happens with Baron Davis, Brand, Josh Smith, etc., and wait to find out who might have the ability to make an offer above the MLE. If you accept this as a likely strategy, then it makes sense to use the LLE before the MLE. If Delfino is willing to sign for two years at LLE, there's really no risk involved. He's younger & more athletic than the back-up wings of the past couple years-- a step in the right direction-- and if it's not a good fit he's a tradable asset. I think expecting anything more than that with the LLE is really a stretch.
how much is the LLE annually?

angelbelow
07-03-2008, 03:07 AM
lle is usually around 1.8

JPB
07-03-2008, 03:15 AM
I'm not a big fan of Delfino.

I think he's seeing himself better than he really is. And he's trying to play like that player he isn't instead of concentrating on doing well what he can do.

He could be a good role player if he'd just do that and accept he'll never be Manu.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2008, 03:37 AM
He's not great, but a pretty good deal if it's the LLE.

kobyz
07-03-2008, 06:07 AM
i dont like Delfino, he is soft!! he is slow!! he has bad shooting percentage!! he is a bad defender!!!

mrspurs
07-03-2008, 07:18 AM

theres no doubt in my mind....delfino wouldnt help the spurs..i myself watch many many nba games....most very up close(except during rodeo)...ive met the man and ive seen him in during warm ups before the crowd is allowed in...let me tell ya he isnt good in the nba....

z0sa
07-03-2008, 07:32 AM
theres no doubt in my mind....delfino wouldnt help the spurs..i myself watch many many nba games....most very up close(except during rodeo)...ive met the man and ive seen him in during warm ups before the crowd is allowed in...let me tell ya he isnt good in the nba....

I trust RC has far up close and personal NBA knowledge than you, friend.

urunobili
07-03-2008, 07:38 AM
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1026940

Orlando's 14 Mill offer for three years is the one leading the charge to get the guy... Cleveland is pushing too... San Antonio may just have a lower offer but Delfino would love to be with Manu and Oberto plus Scola isn't far to get together for barbecues as well...

Russian club Khimky doubles the best NBA offer he got...

Solid D
07-03-2008, 07:40 AM
I'm not that excited about this potential signing but it might work if Carlos is paired with one of his NT mates on the floor. Delfino could use a shooting coach. He needs to add some consistency and emotional stability to his game. He has the athleticism to play in the NBA, no doubt, and he plays decent defense when he wants to.

hater
07-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Delfino >> Finley

Barry >> Delfino

Roger Mason >> Delfino

hater
07-03-2008, 08:58 AM
and as defender Delfino >> all those 3 above

at this point in their careers when he really tries, he is better defender than Manu

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-03-2008, 09:42 AM

Anthony Parker and Ron Artest were offer $73 million by Panathinaikos and Olympiacos and Delfino is offer $70 million by them.

Just because players not take these offers not mean they not get offer. How many times it have to be explain here? Olympiacos and Panathinaikos is much richer than any NBA team.

But Spurs have good chance get Delfino because so far he is not so interest in the offers he have been given by Greek clubs.

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-03-2008, 09:45 AM
delfino is talkn out of his ass

has there even a player in europe atm earning that much?

Anthony Parker 3 years $73 millions US gross.

But Raptors is still trying to block him from leave his contract.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Anthony Parker and Ron Artest were offer $73 million by Panathinaikos and Olympiacos and Delfino is offer $70 million by them.

Just because players not take these offers not mean they not get offer. How many times it have to be explain here? Olympiacos and Panathinaikos is much richer than any NBA team.

But Spurs have good chance get Delfino because so far he is not so interest in the offers he have been given by Greek clubs.

:lol You're saying he's turning down 70 million for around 2 million?

Spurs Brazil
07-03-2008, 09:51 AM

:rollin:rollin:rollin

picnroll
07-03-2008, 09:53 AM

When did Isaiah Thomas become GM for Panathinaikos?

nkdlunch
07-03-2008, 09:57 AM
LMAO how could Spurs even have the guts to offer delfino if he had a 70mil offer from europe.

:lmao

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 10:08 AM

Move the decimal point in the $/€ exchange rate to the left.

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-03-2008, 10:09 AM
LMAO how could Spurs even have the guts to offer delfino if he had a 70mil offer from europe.

:lmao

These players is stupid. Just because scared of US fans make fun of them "fail NBA go to Europe" they refuse such contracts. All can be say about Delfino and Artest is they are dumb.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 10:09 AM
These players is stupid. Just because scared of US fans make fun of them "fail NBA go to Europe" they refuse such contracts. All can be say about Delfino and Artest is they are dumb.

Of course.

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Move the decimal point in the $/€ exchange rate to the left.

26 million euros net is what Anthony Parker contract from Olympiacos is. This same thing was offer to Artest by Panathinaikos. Now find exchange rate to dollars and then learn of thing call "gross pay" and "net pay".

Greek contract is "net pay" NBA is "gross pay"

26 million euro net is same as $73 million gross in NBA. Even monkeys can figure this.

samikeyp
07-03-2008, 10:11 AM

Or maybe they want to try their skills in the best league in the world. Eurobasketball is getting better but the NBA is still the best league.

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Or maybe they want to try their skills in the best league in the world. Eurobasketball is getting better but the NBA is still the best league.

What is point?

yes NBA is better but $2 millions US gross instead of $70 millions US gross just be able say "yes I play in NBA". To me Delfino is idiot. But Panathinaikos fans should not even care because he suck anyway. Artest is different, he is very good player.

jacobdrj
07-03-2008, 10:13 AM
GO CARLOS!!! TAKE IT MAN!!! TAKE IT!!!

SuWEEET.

Spurs get Delfino they get defense and some sporadic scoring, as well as some good bench ball handling.

nkdlunch
07-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Even monkeys can figure this.

damn, you got some smart monkeys over in europe

Spuradicator
07-03-2008, 10:15 AM

Very true. Isn't there a high schooler who is going straight to the Euro leagues or something like that?

Were his SATs that bad, or does he just not want to wait a year or 2 to earn some coin? Don't know, but I think we will start seeing some more American players playing over seas soon.

samikeyp
07-03-2008, 10:17 AM
What is point?

Tes NBA is better but $2 millions US gross instead of $70 millions US gross just be able say "yes I play in NBA". To me Delfino is idiot. But Panathinaikos fans should not even care because he suck anyway. Artest is different, he is very good player.

Point is that a lot of players want to test their skills against the best players out there....that way they can say they measured up or even be called one of the best.

So you are saying money is the most important thing?

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 10:18 AM
26 million euros net is what Anthony Parker contract from Olympiacos is. This same thing was offer to Artest by Panathinaikos. Now find exchange rate to dollars and then learn of thing call "gross pay" and "net pay".

Greek contract is "net pay" NBA is "gross pay"

26 million euro net is same as $73 million gross in NBA. Even monkeys can figure this.

What you fail to comprehend is that US citizens have to pay tax on any income, regardless of source. Perhaps Delfino and other non-US citizens can enjoy the wonderful Greek "net pay" arrangement, but it's not worth much to Artest.

Stupid monkey.

MoSpur
07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
If I am a high school baller who has a very slight chance of making it to the NBA, but have something guaranteed in Europe, I am going to Europe and getting paid. Forget having to go to college for one year and taking a chance in the NBA.

I would not blame H.S kids leaving the country to get paid to play ball over there.

samikeyp
07-03-2008, 10:20 AM
If I am a high school baller who has a very slight chance of making it to the NBA, but have something guaranteed in Europe, I am going to Europe and getting paid. Forget having to go to college for one year and taking a chance in the NBA.

I would not blame H.S kids leaving the country to get paid to play ball over there.

I wouldn't like that happening but I understand it happening.

jacobdrj
07-03-2008, 10:26 AM
You graduate HS in the US so you can get a job, or prepare for training for a job, or life for that matter. HS is for the 'pristine student athlete'. There is no place for that in a college. College is an institution for adults, trying to make a life for themselves. If they don't need it, they shouldn't have to do it.
If the NBA wants to have people loose the opportunity to win the lottery/make a living, then it is their own faults if those people make it somewhere else. The age limit is stupid. Make a real minor league system, and then this won't blow up into a bigger issue down the road.

Spuradicator
07-03-2008, 10:27 AM

I think more often than not, that would stunt their development and ruin their chances in the NBA. Most 18 year olds are not ready to handle such a culture shock. If Im an 18 year old baller, Im going on scholarship in the US.

But to each their own. It will start happening.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 10:28 AM
So a 26 mil euro contract ($40.9 mil gross), would be worth about $26.6 mil to a US citizen (net of US federal income tax).

Kindergarten Cop
07-03-2008, 10:32 AM
What you fail to comprehend is that US citizens have to pay tax on any income, regardless of source. Perhaps Delfino and other non-US citizens can enjoy the wonderful Greek "net pay" arrangement, but it's not worth much to Artest.

Stupid monkey.

Wow! I wasn't aware that if you were living overseas for several years and making a living there that you still had to pay U.S. Income Tax (although, it doesn't surprise me).

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Wow! I wasn't aware that if you were living overseas for several years and making a living there that you still had to pay U.S. Income Tax (although, it doesn't surprise me).

Yes. Uncle Sam provides an exclusion, but it's not a $40 million exclusion (it's closer to $80K).

1Parker1
07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Is Pop trying to turn the Spurs into Team Argentina? Goodness, is there a player from the 04 squad the Spurs haven't gone after yet? :lol

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-03-2008, 10:48 AM

Stupid monkey.

I have explain this so many times here and some stupid people cannot understand. They do PAY tax but you stupid idiots cannot understand simple concept.

Salary is AFTER TAX. No tax salary in Europe mean AFTER TAX salary. How many time do idiots here need be explain this? I am not sorry for talk this way because after maybe 20 posts try explain this still idiots is not able understand such simple thing.

samikeyp
07-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Is Pop trying to turn the Spurs into Team Argentina? Goodness, is there a player from the 04 squad the Spurs haven't gone after yet? :lol

Rubén Wolkowyski :lol

samikeyp
07-03-2008, 10:51 AM
I have explain this so many times here and some stupid people cannot understand. They do PAY tax but you stupid idiots cannot understand simple concept.

Salary is AFTER TAX. No tax salary in Europe mean AFTER TAX salary. How many time do idiots here need be explain this? I am not sorry for talk this way because after maybe 20 posts try explain this still idiots is not able understand such simple thing.

So people don't agree with you so you become insulting. Very sportsmanlike. :nope

MoSpur
07-03-2008, 10:53 AM
There would be culture shock obviously, but if he takes some family or friends with him, then it can help a little. I just think the NBA is sort of wrong in putting the age limit and in the rookie salary. I understand they are protecting themselves because a lot of these athletes aren't going to live up to their hype, but if they do, the NBA makes a lot of money off of them.

I am not for high school kids going to Europe instead of college, but I understand it and if I had the chance to go make millions of dollars straight out of high school, I'd do it instead of going to school.

tp2021
07-03-2008, 10:54 AM

Thats great, but as mentioned before: he'd be a great secondary signing after maggette, but a bad primary signing.

samikeyp
07-03-2008, 10:56 AM
There would be culture shock obviously, but if he takes some family or friends with him, then it can help a little. I just think the NBA is sort of wrong in putting the age limit and in the rookie salary. I understand they are protecting themselves because a lot of these athletes aren't going to live up to their hype, but if they do, the NBA makes a lot of money off of them.

I am not for high school kids going to Europe instead of college, but I understand it and if I had the chance to go make millions of dollars straight out of high school, I'd do it instead of going to school.

I would too. I can take or leave the age limit but I do like the rookie salary cap.

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-03-2008, 10:59 AM
So people don't agree with you so you become insulting. Very sportsmanlike. :nope

There is difference between not agree with someone and keep saying things which is wrong and accuse others who is state true thing of be wrong. It just shows very stupid person when they keep doing these kind of things.

MoSpur
07-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Its a business and the NBA is doing what it feels it needs to do to keep their product on top.

I can see more and more H.S kids leaving overseas though. I wouldn't mind being an agent and sending kids to Europe.

Indazone
07-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Its a business and the NBA is doing what it feels it needs to do to keep their product on top.

I can see more and more H.S kids leaving overseas though. I wouldn't mind being an agent and sending kids to Europe.

If you're an agent you make more money that way. By the way, the Euroleague needs to throw that Max of 3 Americans on the team rule away.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 11:08 AM

ROFL. It doesn't matter. If the Greek team pays a US citizen an amount to cover US taxes then that is taxable too, as well as the "net pay." Better yet, if the Greek team is paying Greek taxes for that US citizen (which seems to be what you are claiming. It, of course, is not clear due your utter inability to express yourself clearly) then the citizen may have to pay US taxes on those payments.

Stupid idiot.

Indazone
07-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I think Delfino takes the money in Europe. Just like Anthony Parker.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Before I forget, the Greek league is a refuge for whiny bitches who can't cut it in the NBA.

samikeyp
07-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Before I forget, the Greek league is a refuge for whiny bitches who can't cut it in the NBA.

C'mon MB....you know that every Greek player is better than any US player! :lol

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-03-2008, 04:20 PM
If you're an agent you make more money that way. By the way, the Euroleague needs to throw that Max of 3 Americans on the team rule away.

In Greece can only have 2 Americans. I am not sure about other countries.

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-03-2008, 04:23 PM
ROFL. It doesn't matter. If the Greek team pays a US citizen an amount to cover US taxes then that is taxable too, as well as the "net pay." Better yet, if the Greek team is paying Greek taxes for that US citizen (which seems to be what you are claiming. It, of course, is not clear due your utter inability to express yourself clearly) then the citizen may have to pay US taxes on those payments.

Stupid idiot.

Are you stupid? YES YOU ARE STUPID.

No tax salary in Europe mean AFTER TAX. Are you really this dumb? Tax rate is 40% in Greece. In US when you get pay check you get amount after taxes. But when your salary is report is report as gross not after tax. You not actual make 30,000 your boss just say this. But when you get checks is not 30,000.

Players is pay tax and yes stupid US government is also get their tax from players. But you to stupid to understand such simple thing. When salary is report in Europe is AFTER TAX.

Amount of pay check is SAME amount that is report in press. In NBA amount of pay check is maybe half what is report in press because is NOT after tax but before.

If you cannot still understand this you are very dumb. Sorry, but is true.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2008, 04:27 PM
The Euro teams already know the tax rates and policies for the US and each individual state and factors that into every stated salary for American players?

T Park
07-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Delfino is a BUM!!! Reminds me of Jon Barry.

I'd love it if the Spurs signed Delfino and he played like an athletic Jon Barry.

Jon Barry was a pretty good player in his day.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Players is pay tax and yes stupid US government is also get their tax from players. But you to stupid to understand such simple thing. When salary is report in Europe is AFTER TAX.

Yawn.

You've claimed again and again, implicitly, that American players are not subject to US federal income taxation when they play for a European team (ie your claim that a 26 mil euro contract "NET" is equivalent to US$73 million as 'the European team pays the player's taxes').

Sorry, that's not the case.

And to top it off, you are a gigantic douche. Greek basketball is dogshit. One of the greatest players in Greek basketball history ran home with his tail between his legs because he couldn't hack it in the NBA.

Go fuck yourself.

Bruno
07-03-2008, 04:30 PM
By the way, the Euroleague needs to throw that Max of 3 Americans on the team rule away.

:rolleyes
There isn't a limit a quota for American players in Eurolegaue.
An Euroleague team can play with 5, 6 or more Americans players.

T Park
07-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Yawn.

You've claimed again and again, implicitly, that American players are not subject to US federal income taxation when they play for a European team (ie your claim that a 26 mil euro contract "NET" is equivalent to US$73 million as 'the European team pays the player's taxes').

And to top it off, you are a gigantic douche. Greek basketball is dogshit. One of the greatest players in Greek basketball history ran home with his tail between his legs because he couldn't hack it in the NBA.

Go fuck yourself.

Damnt Pana now you got Marcus grumpy.

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Yawn.

Go fuck yourself.

You must have brain damage. Do you understand easiest of things? US media reports sports salary as GROSS number. Ones report in Europe is NET number. The tax is already pay. It is like talking to a baby.

You make this post here and it not even make sense. You are not even talking about same subject. What is this "US players pays tax" crap? Who say they not pay tax? Salary number for media in Europe includes after tax was already paid.

How hard is this understand? It means they do NOT pay taxes on number mention by media. Why would they pay taxes twice? So American player pay two times to Greece and US so he pay taxes 4 times? You are joke.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 05:07 PM
ROFL. The "NET" # is net of Greek, Italian, etc...tax. Uncle Sam still wants his cut.

You are a joke if you think someone offered Anthony Parker seventy-three million dollars.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2008, 05:12 PM
How does a Euro team pay an American player's federal and state income taxes before his tax burdens for each is even calculated?

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 05:14 PM
How does a Euro team pay an American player's federal and state income taxes before his tax burdens for each is even calculated?

Greeks, man. They're all gods.

duncan2k5
07-03-2008, 05:28 PM
You must have brain damage. Do you understand easiest of things? US media reports sports salary as GROSS number. Ones report in Europe is NET number. The tax is already pay. It is like talking to a baby.

You make this post here and it not even make sense. You are not even talking about same subject. What is this "US players pays tax" crap? Who say they not pay tax? Salary number for media in Europe includes after tax was already paid.

How hard is this understand? It means they do NOT pay taxes on number mention by media. Why would they pay taxes twice? So American player pay two times to Greece and US so he pay taxes 4 times? You are joke.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are a funny dude!!!!!!! i can imagine u actually saying those words out loud. u remind me of a friend i had in college from serbia...

Kindergarten Cop
07-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Greeks, man. They're all gods.

http://www.mytelevision.com/tv_stars/pictures/john_stamos.jpg

xtremesteven33
07-03-2008, 05:32 PM
http://www.mytelevision.com/tv_stars/pictures/john_stamos.jpg

gay

romad_20
07-03-2008, 05:35 PM

Are you saying that the salary number that the Greek team puts out is the actual $$$$ the player gets after he pays his "American" taxes, because he will have to payy taxes to the IRS and their state taxes, if they have them.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Good player just never lived up to the hype.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Good player just never lived up to the hype He would have a good game then take 10 games off.

angelbelow
07-03-2008, 05:38 PM
lol brain damage, havent heard that phrase being used as an insult in ages.

Kindergarten Cop
07-03-2008, 05:40 PM
gay

Off topic: Have you seen the trailer for Will Ferrell's new movie, Step Brothers? He has a line in it where he asks John C. Reilly "If you were a chick, who is the one guy that you would sleep with?" and they both answer at the same time, "John Stamos".:lmao

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/stepbrothers/

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Are you saying that the salary number that the Greek team puts out is the actual $$$$ the player gets after he pays his "American" taxes, because he will have to payy taxes to the IRS and their state taxes, if they have them.

Hey, you aren't Greek. What do you know?

romad_20
07-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Hey, you aren't Greek. What do you know?

:lol following this thread makes my head hurt:bang

Cherry
07-03-2008, 07:07 PM

He was injured with 19 years old in Detroit. Very young. I think he will be a good role player....in Pop i trust.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-03-2008, 07:09 PM
He was injured with 21 years old in Detroit. Very young. I think he will be a good role player....in Pop i trust.

Fixed. Just FYI.

whottt
07-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Maybe the Spurs did this so the Rockets will go after him and that way Houston will have the two biggest assholes in Argentina on their roster?

It'd be one thing if Delfino was actually a good NBA player, but he really isn't...he's very inconsistent. And it's not like he's a guy that brings a lot of ingtangibles(positive ones at least) to the table...

I'd rather we not sign him...unless it's he or Finley.

I'm not real hyped on Magette either...he's never been an "oh shit" player for me watching him play. Still...he's better than Finley.

Hemotivo
07-03-2008, 11:17 PM
:lol

T Park
07-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Maybe the Spurs did this so the Rockets will go after him and that way Houston will have the two biggest assholes in Argentina on their roster?

It'd be one thing if Delfino was actually a good NBA player, but he really isn't...he's very inconsistent. And it's not like he's a guy that brings a lot of ingtangibles(positive ones at least) to the table...

I'd rather we not sign him...unless it's he or Finley.

I'm not real hyped on Magette either...he's never been an "oh shit" player for me watching him play. Still...he's better than Finley.

Well who the fuck should they sign then?

angelbelow
07-04-2008, 03:04 AM
are there any reliable sources that say we officially offered him a contract?

SD126
07-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Isn't he a restriced FA?

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-04-2008, 09:25 AM

Yes that is exact how it work. So sad such simple thing is above ability for some here to grasp.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2008, 09:34 AM
The #s reported may be net of Greek taxes, but they are not net of the US federal income tax. Maybe there is a collection of US tax experts in the Greek media. I doubt it.

Or, alternatively, you can believe Greek teams are offering shitty American players $70 mil+ over 3 years and they are unwilling to take such money. In which case you'd probably be trolling every NBA fan forum possible and spamming it with nonsense.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2008, 09:44 AM
And the offer to Parker (http://www.one.co.il/Article/118394.html) was $24 mil (gross) over 3 years, not $24 mil per year for 3 years. You have to be pretty stupid to not be able to understand that. And that's from shitty Greek 'the basketball world revolves around us' media.

still.focused
07-04-2008, 10:28 AM
You are joke.
I laughed so hard after reading this
Im gonna try my best to work it into my everyday lexicon

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-04-2008, 11:56 AM
And the offer to Parker (http://www.one.co.il/Article/118394.html) was $24 mil (gross) over 3 years, not $24 mil per year for 3 years. You have to be pretty stupid to not be able to understand that. And that's from shitty Greek 'the basketball world revolves around us' media.

24 million EUROS NET plus 2 million euro sign bonus. Keep make lies up all you want.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Yes that is exact how it work. So sad such simple thing is above ability for some here to grasp.Explain to us how the Euro teams determine and pay the federal and state taxes for American players years in advance.

Please be specific.

SpurOutofTownFan
07-04-2008, 12:13 PM
If you want to look at it another way, the two worst percentage shooting playoffs for Barry resulted in championships. The rest resulted in early fishing trips.

Indeed. Whenever the Spurs had to rely on 3-pts from Barry, it was because something else was terribly wrong.

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Explain to us how the Euro teams determine and pay the federal and state taxes for American players years in advance.

Please be specific.

Very simple. Example Greek player would pay 40% tax to Greece and then his amount of paycheck is what is report as his "player salary" by media.

American play would get waiver for this and then he will pay US tax in same way. Tax is base on where he have listing of residence in US. This player will be play on work visa in Greece and have residence in US. he get exempt for first 80,000 US dollar then rest he pay tax.

Federal is 35% and state is base on where he have his residence like some is 0% some is more 8.5% and such.

Same way in Greece salary is report for player only what he can put in bank.

Is cultural thing. In US everyone must try sound richer than he really is. Like say "I make 100,000 per year" when really they makes 60,000 per year and government get 40,000 per year. You not make 100,000 you make 60,000.

Well in Greece if ask this question and you is 100,000 salary and you net 60,000 you says "I make 60,000 per year". In Greece money make is ONLY consider what actual go in bank account in US is imaginary number that include money person never actual see which goes to government.

We not consider money that go to taxes actual income. Is this simple. In Greece Tim Duncan would not be report as 20 million salary, he would be report as salary only after taxes. Understand? Is nothing complication here, very simple but some morons here with the bad IQ cannot understand.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2008, 01:39 PM
24 million EUROS NET plus 2 million euro sign bonus. Keep make lies up all you want.

Funny how Greek teams can't see to land any US talent with these mythical offers. Well, save for crackheads like Qyntel Woods. He probably believed what some lying douchebag Greek with a bad inferiority complex told him.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Very simple. Example Greek player would pay 40% tax to Greece and then his amount of paycheck is what is report as his "player salary" by media.

American play would get waiver for this and then he will pay US tax in same way. Tax is base on where he have listing of residence in US. This player will be play on work visa in Greece and have residence in US. he get exempt for first 80,000 US dollar then rest he pay tax.

Federal is 35% and state is base on where he have his residence like some is 0% some is more 8.5% and such.

And again, Syphilis, the number reported by the horrid Greek media is net of Greek tax, not US tax.

Kill_Bill_Pana
07-04-2008, 02:44 PM
And again, Syphilis, the number reported by the horrid Greek media is net of Greek tax, not US tax.

You is in ignore list now. If any other members needs me explain more how salary report for big Europe clubs is net I will but this person is retard and jerk.

Mister Sinister
07-04-2008, 02:45 PM
You is in ignore list now. If any other members needs me explain more how salary report for big Europe clubs is net I will but this person is retard and jerk.
Are you

[ ] Dense

[ ] Retarded

[ ] Or something

timvp
07-04-2008, 02:49 PM
If Chris Duhon is commanding the MLE, perhaps the Spurs will be forced to sign Delfino to a two-year, $12M deal.

:vomit:

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2008, 02:50 PM
If Chris Duhon is commanding the MLE, perhaps the Spurs will be forced to sign Delfino to a two-year, $12M deal.

I would literally vomit if that happened.

v2freak
07-04-2008, 02:54 PM

Ditto. Barry played admirably when he came back.

samikeyp
07-04-2008, 02:58 PM
In US everyone must try sound richer than he really is. Like say "I make 100,000 per year" when really they makes 60,000 per year and government get 40,000 per year. You not make 100,000 you make 60,000.

Its not a matter of "trying to sound richer" than you are. If my salary is $100,000 then that is what it actually is. Everyone here knows that taxes come out but that doesn't change how much you make. You are thinking of what is called "take home pay". If someone makes $100k then that is still correct to say so because even though taxes are taken out, you still make $100K even though you don't get to see all of it.

lefty
07-04-2008, 02:58 PM

Even if we land Maggette, I still want to keep Barry.

His IQ, passing, leadership are outside shooting are HUGE for us (especially when running the motion offense)

angelbelow
07-04-2008, 03:18 PM

Even if we land Maggette, I still want to keep Barry.

His IQ, passing, leadership are outside shooting are HUGE for us (especially when running the motion offense)

i totally agree, id rather keep him than finley, but if delfino accepts and maggette, i dont think theres room for either of those guys..

lefty
07-04-2008, 03:37 PM
i totally agree, id rather keep him than finley, but if delfino accepts and maggette, i dont think theres room for either of those guys..

Then it's pretty simple : let's get tid of Findawg

pad300
07-04-2008, 04:16 PM

I'd rather pay the money to Barry - he's a better player...

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2008, 04:27 PM

:baby

It's too bad your hero Spannnilllououous is a pussy.

SenorSpur
07-04-2008, 04:43 PM

There is no room for either Barry or Finley.

I'd love to have Barry around for another season too. However it's likely that Barry is looking for a 2-yr contract, which would explain why he opted out. Spurs DO NOT need to to commit an additional season to him.

Finley is just plain through. His tenure here, as a one-trick pony, is up.

Whatever and whoever the new swingman tandem is (Maggette & Defino, Pietrus & Defino), the Spurs need to move on from these older guys and start integrated not only the two new FA swingmen, but also developing the 2 rookie 2nd round picks, Hairston and Gist.

samikeyp
07-04-2008, 05:08 PM
:baby

It's too bad your hero Spannnilllououous is a pussy.

C'mon now...its not Bill's fault that his hero lacks the όρχεις to play NBA ball.

:lol

timvp
07-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Whatever and whoever the new swingman tandem is (Maggette & Defino, Pietrus & Defino)In this market, there won't be a tandem available. If Duhon is getting the MLE, there's no way Delfino is getting the LLE and there's no way Pietrus is getting less than the MLE. The Spurs are looking at Maggette, JR Smith, Pietrus or Delfino ... not a combination.

SenorSpur
07-04-2008, 05:48 PM
In this market, there won't be a tandem available. If Duhon is getting the MLE, there's no way Delfino is getting the LLE and there's no way Pietrus is getting less than the MLE. The Spurs are looking at Maggette, JR Smith, Pietrus or Delfino ... not a combination.

Assuming the Spurs throwing the MLE at either Maggette or Pietrus and assuming one or the other accept, you're saying you don't see the Spurs being able to land a less-significant swingman (like Delfino) with the LLE?

timvp
07-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Assuming the Spurs throwing the MLE at either Maggette or Pietrus and assuming one or the other accept, you're saying you don't see the Spurs being able to land a less-significant swingman (like Delfino) with the LLE?Correct.

SenorSpur
07-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Correct.

How much is the LLE?

How about Roger Mason? Could he be had with the LLE?

picnroll
07-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Correct.
Toward the end of the FA period some get caught without a chair, i.e. Udoka who everyone thought intiailly would get a much better offer. The more undeserving FAs that suck up MLEs in position the Spurs don't need, like Beno, Duhon and Diop, the better.

T Park
07-04-2008, 06:07 PM
How much is the LLE?

How about Roger Mason? Could he be had with the LLE?

Everyone available, at that level the spurs are looking at.

Will get, the MLE.

Period.

Tully365
07-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Big money, nostalgia, and an interesting nightlife are the main reasons for signing with the Knicks now. Definitely not the pursuit of a Ring. I don't think Duhon signing with them changes the entire MLE/LLE landscape. Average players hoping to play for a championship will still consider the Spurs, Hornets, Celtics for slightly less. All the Spurs need is one guy to make that choice.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Could the Spurs pull off a deal for Delfino? I guess we're assuming whatever offer that was made would have used a chunk of the MLE that is no longer available. Bonner for Delfino in a S&T could give Delfino a decent sized contract.

Typhoon
07-11-2008, 02:51 AM
He's really close to signing with Detroit, Clevaland is also on the race.

I don't see Delfino with the Spurs.

Sissiborgo
07-11-2008, 05:55 AM
:wow

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-11-2008, 07:10 AM

I know what you are saying about Delfino, but I have a feeling playing with Manu and Fab will bring out the best in him. He's mercurial, but he can do everything on the court and he could be that 4th scorer the team needs. 8-10ppg, which he is more than capable of, would be fine. My worry is that he's a gambler on D and Pop will hate that... but he made Manu a better team defender, hopefully Delfino can follow suit.

Mason, Delfino and another young big, and that's an acceptable offseason.

waly.mg
07-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Wait a minute

I saw Delfino in Toronto guarding Lebron James, and was not easy to Lebron

He´s not the best defender, but is a good defender

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Wait a minute

I saw Delfino in Toronto guarding Lebron James, and was not easy to Lebron

He´s not the best defender, but is a good defender

Read what I said - I said he's a gambler, which he is, as is Manu to some extent. That means he gambles for steals and sacrifices the team defensive concept. Manu did it a lot in his first few seasons but has gradually learned to gamble less and better, Delfino will need to do the same because the Spurs' defensive system relies on all five players sticking to the plan, and if they don't Pop doesn't let them on the court.

waly.mg
07-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Delfino was always one step behind Manu in Basketball

Manu in Italy played in Reggio Calabria the 98-99 and 99-00 seasons, next season Delfino played with Reggio Calabria,when Manu signed with Kinder Bologna.
When Manu signed with the spurs, Delfino signed with Kinder Bologna for the next season
Then, Reggio Calabria signed Delfino to replace Manu, and before The Kinder Bologna signed Delfino to replace Manu too, now the spurs can sign Delfino as Manu´s Backup.

mrspurs
07-11-2008, 08:49 AM
carlos delfino=vinny del negro............nothing good in that equation

SenorSpur
07-11-2008, 08:58 AM
I guess this report wasn't true after all.

jag
07-11-2008, 11:35 AM
carlos delfino=vinny del negro............nothing good in that equation

Terrible comparison...Delfino has 10x the athletic ability, better shooting range, much better defense, and can create his own shot. Vinny had a 15 foot pull-up J and great hair...not much else.