PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Nominated For ESPY For Best Finish Game 1 Suns; Manu For Best International

duncan228
07-02-2008, 09:11 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070108.ESPYs.en.1338586d.html

Local: Trinity's football play nominated for ESPY
Chad Peters
San Antonio Express-News

The legend of Trinity’s “Mississippi Miracle” continues to grow.

Last year’s improbable 15-lateral, game-winning play against Millsaps has been nominated for an ESPY for best play.

Trailing by two points with two seconds remaining Oct. 27, 2007, the Tigers pulled off a play that covered 60 yards and included 15 laterals to beat Millsaps 28-24 in Jackson, Miss. Officially, the play was recorded as a 44-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Blake Barmore to receiver Riley Curry.

“It was certainly unforgettable at the time,” Trinity coach Steve Mohr said. “But I guess when you look back, the longer that it’s been since the play itself, the more remarkable it appears.”

Trinity is up against David Tyree’s extended 32-yard reception from Eli Manning pass in the New York Giants’ Super Bowl XLII victory over New England; Rick Nash’s game-winning goal for the Columbus Blue Jackets at Phoenix, when he took a long outlet pass and skated past two defensemen to the net; and Blake Hoffarber’s basket on a length-of-the-court pass as Minnesota shocked Indiana in the Big Ten tournament.

Other San Antonio nominees included the Spurs for best finish in their dramatic 117-115 double-overtime victory over Phoenix in the first round of this year’s Western Conference playoffs. Michael Finley’s 3-pointer sent the game to OT, Tim Duncan’s 3-pointer — his first of the season — sent it to a second OT, and Manu Ginobili scored the game-winner with 1.8 seconds left in the second OT.

Also nominated were Ginobili for best male international athlete and Silver Stars guard Becky Hammon for best WNBA player. Ginobili averaged 19.5 points and won the NBA’s sixth man award, while Hammon was runner-up for the WNBA’s Most Valuable Player award after averaging 18.8 points.

The ESPYS will be televised July 20 on ESPN.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Of course neither will win since it's a popularity contest.

Brutalis
07-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Well it's nice they got mentioned anyways.

1Parker1
07-02-2008, 09:19 PM
:lol That Spurs/Suns game has no chance to beat out the Superbowl game for best finish.

Avitus1
07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
I love when ESPN tries to look like they give a shit about the Spurs.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2008, 10:10 PM
I love when ESPN tries to look like they give a shit about the Spurs.

What do you mean, "when"? I love that ESPN tried to look like they give a shit about the Spurs.

Spurtacus
07-02-2008, 10:10 PM
We won't win. Happy to be nominated though.

CubanMustGo
07-02-2008, 10:26 PM
First time in history (and likely last) that Trinity athletics gets mentioned before the Spurs.

FromWayDowntown
07-02-2008, 10:28 PM
I'd be shocked if Trinity doesn't win the best play category.

greens
07-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Does anyone know where you can vote? A link to the site? I wonder who else is nominated for the best international athlete.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Does anyone know where you can vote? A link to the site? I wonder who else is nominated for the best international athlete.

http://www.espys.tv

angelbelow
07-03-2008, 06:20 PM
congrats!

dknights411
07-03-2008, 06:22 PM
I'd be shocked if Trinity doesn't win the best play category.

TU would have been a lock for the ESPY if it wern't for...

http://civilizer.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/david-tyree-catch.jpg

As a Trinity alum, I'm afraid we've got no chance to win. Oh well, I still voted for the Tigers. I friends with a few of the players who caught one of the laterrals.

CubanMustGo
07-03-2008, 10:01 PM
I wondered why the TU play wasn't up for best finish instead of best play, coming as it did on the last play of a game which decided not only the conference championship but the team which would represent the SCAC in the NCAA playoffs.

But yeah it's gonna be tough, if not impossible, to beat that awesome catch on arguably the biggest stage of American pro sports.

carina_gino20
07-03-2008, 10:09 PM

Kaka, Nadal, and Ronaldo will be kicking Manu's ass. :lol