Current Sports Anchors are ineligible.

1. Dan Cook (KENS)

2. Paul Alexander (KSAT)

3. Joe Fowler (KSAT)

4. "My Pal" Al Aleman (KMOL)

5. Rick Lozano (KSAT)

2centsworth
07-03-2008, 12:06 AM
I used to love Fowler. Last I saw of him he was doing an infomerical.

Kamala
07-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Joe Fowler!:lol I think I remember him shaving half of his mustache on a bet!

2centsworth
07-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Joe Fowler!:lol I think I remember him shaving half of his mustache on a bet!

I remember Kamala and the Blanco Junction. Wrestling was off-the-hook back then.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-03-2008, 01:29 AM
how can dan cook be ineligble. whenever i think of san antonio sports his leather face is the first thing that comes to mind.

Nbadan
07-03-2008, 03:45 AM
what about Gary DeLaune?

Gary has had many "firsts" in his career. In 1963, he was reported to be the first to broadcast the bulletin that President John F. Kennedy had been shot by a sniper in Dallas. As a young Dallas newsman DeLaune reported the tragic events involving the assassination of President John F. Kennedy and the shooting of Lee Harvey Oswald by Jack Ruby.

Plus those great suits....

curtismedellin
07-03-2008, 03:57 AM
Don Harris.

always intelligent and insightful. I like watching him because it looks like he really enjoys bringing sports info to San Antonio.

BTW...
After hearing his sports opinions on your show Chris, I feel KENS is doing a great injustice of depriving San Antonio a future great sports broadcaster in the form of...Bill Taylor!

Give this dude a chance, weather forecasts stifle this mans energy and personality.

curtismedellin
07-03-2008, 03:59 AM
used to enjoy Barry Brickmans segments as well.

That is all.

pooh
07-03-2008, 04:11 AM
1. Dan Cook
2. Greg Simmons
3. Barry Brickman
4. George McKenzie

Honorable mention: Joe Fowler, Randy Sparague, David Sears.

Who can forget when Danny White decked Fowler at the end of the 1982 NFC Championship game? Classic.

I had a chance to sit with Gary DeLaune during a Spurs game I covered for Hoopshype back in 2002, he was very nice. I would include him in the honorable mention catagory as well.

I can't see putting Alexander, Harris or even Chancellor up on either list cause I feel they haven't done anything significant to warrant them up that high.

Alexander would probably still be on TV if he didn't shoot his damned mouth off over at KSAT during his "editorialized" sportscast. Harris and Chancellor try be like, "only we have this n that" kind of sports reporting. Seems like they keep trying to audition for ESPN or something. By the way Don and Dave, it was George McKenzie who started "Sports Sunday" not you guys...and KSAT's Instant Replay is so much better.

Twisted_Dawg
07-03-2008, 06:49 AM

1. Dan Cook (KENS)

2. Paul Alexander (KSAT)

3. Joe Fowler (KSAT)

5. Rick Lozano (KSAT)

Sorry Chris....you fail in putting Paul Alexander #2 on you list. He works for your station and you showed bias and lack of objectivity. He does not belong #2 on anybodys list.

Old School Guys:
Dan Cook
George McKenzie
Gary DeLaune
Rick Lozano

Here is my list of the current guys:

New Age Guys:
Don Harris
David Chancellor
Joe Reinagel
David Sears

Worthy of mention:

Novelty Class:
Joe Fowler
Al Aleman

N.Y. Johnny
07-03-2008, 10:07 AM
how can dan cook be ineligble. whenever i think of san antonio sports his leather face is the first thing that comes to mind.

I'm not even from here and everytime San Antonio and definitely SA "Sports" comes up I immediately think of Dan Cook. The guy was a badass.

samikeyp
07-03-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm not even from here and everytime San Antonio and definitely SA "Sports" comes up I immediately think of Dan Cook. The guy was a badass.

+1

AlamoSpursFan
07-03-2008, 10:18 AM
There was nothing funnier than seeing Sparague get beaned by a Doug Williams lob to the back corner of the endzone while he was waiting to do a live "Gunslingers/Outlaws highlights at 5" spot at Alamo Stadium. I don't know if the folks at News 4 have that on some outtake reel, but me and my cousin were standing right there at the rail saying "hey, there's that fat-ass sports guy from KMOL!" when Williams sailed the pigskin over the receiver and right upside Sparague's dome.

I don't know what was funnier, that, or sitting beside former TV car-pimp Dan Walters at a Riders game in the same endzone at the Rockpile. Dude sat there the whole time with a seriously smoking hot babe who he ignored the whole time. My friend John chatted her up all afternoon and got her digits (and more at a later date). What a schmuck. :lol

AlamoSpursFan
07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Oh yeah, and here's my vote for Cordell Patrick, formerly of KSAT.

I have heard he was a major league a-hole, but dude was cool when I met him at the aforementioned Alamo Stadium at the 1995 Class 5A Division II State Championship game. (Go Riders!)

N.Y. Johnny
07-03-2008, 10:24 AM
I liked Cordell Patrick too, I remember him.

Ok, you local guys help me out here, I maybe off track and thinking of someplace else, but I'm sure KMOL or WOAI errr Channel 4 :lol at one time didn't they have a fellow named "Pete"...his last name escapes me but he was funny.

bus driver
07-03-2008, 10:24 AM

2. Paul Alexander (KSAT)

3. Joe Fowler (KSAT)

5. Rick Lozano (KSAT)

who the hell are these guys?
i only remember dan cook and the regulars now on tv.

AlamoSpursFan
07-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Oh yeah, and an Honorable Mention for Drew Pearson when he tried sportscasting on KENS a while back. Dude sucked ass at first, but made major improvement before he decided to pack it in. (Or management decided to pack him in...I can't remember which)

S_A_Longhorn
07-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Maybe I'm froma younger generation, but I could not stand Dan Cook. Complete lack of energy or emotion, and his 'commentaries' were usually way off. Anyone remember his baseball strike one? What a lod of ----.

CubanMustGo
07-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Wow! OMFG Yes you have to be EXCITED to report about SPORTS! Knowledge means squat, it's all in the presentation!!!! Wowzers!!!

FromWayDowntown
07-03-2008, 11:59 AM
I liked Cordell Patrick too, I remember him.

Ok, you local guys help me out here, I maybe off track and thinking of someplace else, but I'm sure KMOL or WOAI errr Channel 4 :lol at one time didn't they have a fellow named "Pete"...his last name escapes me but he was funny.

Pete Delgado.

robino2001
07-03-2008, 12:00 PM
I can't stand to watch Greg Simmons on tv... dude always comes across as a total douchebag and I got the same feelings the couple of times I met him... on a similar but not quite local note - Ric Renner (FSSW) is without a doubt the douchebag king. Whenever we see him on tv, the wife/family still mentions us walking through a live shot he was doing at the 03 Army All-American game while he was set up flat ass in the middle of the alamodome concourse with no room to get around him.

As another side note... Bob Ballou is lead anchor for KEYE in Austin (just an fyi)...

But as everyone else said, when you talk SA sportscasters... Dan Cook is #1-10 if you're taking out the current guys.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-03-2008, 01:23 PM
What about Chuck Miketinac and his way with words? I can just see the words "Katherine Hepburn in a helicopter" immortalized in bronze under his likeness in the Broadcaster's Hall of Fame.

braeden0613
07-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Greg Simmons is ok...he comes off as a retarded person sometimes but he seems to have a passion about the spurs that I like. I'm not a big fan of the Chancellor/Harris team b/c you can kind of sense that they really would rather report about the cowboys endlessly than the Spurs. Anyone one remember the guy from KSAT who's last name was madsen? I cant remember his first name but i thought he was hilarious.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2008, 12:45 AM
1. Dan Cook.

the rest.

It ain't close, even when the fat lady sings.

Twisted_Dawg
07-04-2008, 06:03 AM
1. Dan Cook.

the rest.

It ain't close, even when the fat lady sings.

+1

Biggems
07-04-2008, 11:36 AM
when it comes to the Sports report on the news....Dan Cook is atop the list with a Secretariat type lead over the rest of the field.

when it comes to calling the HS Football games....Gary DaLaune is atop the list with a Secretariat type lead over the rest of the field. Plus, he has all those funky sports coats that Craig Sager borrows during every NBA telecast on TNT.

alamo50
07-05-2008, 03:44 AM
Don Harris.

always intelligent and insightful. I like watching him because it looks like he really enjoys bringing sports info to San Antonio.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

.................................................. ...............................

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

T Park
07-05-2008, 03:11 PM
No more Benjamin P Broadhind.

Shame...