PDA

View Full Version : How do I put on weight/muscle mass

Brutalis
07-03-2008, 08:08 AM
So usually it's people dying to figure out how to lose weight and get slim and all that but I am trying to do the opposite.

Three weeks ago I was 149lbs and this morning before eating I weighed in at 152 and already see a very slight difference. All I have been doing so far is the typical old fashioned work outs like push ups, crunches, leg lifts, squats (strapping heavy stuff to my back), pull ups, and eating a lot. That's it. I won't be getting a weight bench for a few weeks and joining a gym right now is out of my budget but that will change within a couple months.

I have shot a few PM's to a few guys I know that pump iron and all that but I need some tips and advice from everybody.

I have read up a lot of web sites and information but a lot of them seem to contradict each other and have a lot of different ways to go about things.

What I want to do is set up a plan, a daily schedule of what I need to do from the time I wake up and go to sleep at night. Including:

-What foods do I need to be consuming as well as drink? Downing raw eggs, drinking lots of milk? etc etc
-What supplements do I need to be on, I know protein is a must for my situation but not only that what is this I hear about slow digesting protein for while I am sleeping, and am wondering about creatine(spelling?) and such..
-Vitamins? What kind would be best for my situation?

As I mentioned I want to set up some kind of daily regiment for myself to get back into shape and healthy again and would like some tips/advice/suggestions from people who have done it. So what do I need to pick up at GNC and give me some kickers here to start this plan up.

*edit*: If it matters, I am 23, 6-1 and currently 152lbs. Cut but, not near enough!

lebomb
07-03-2008, 08:16 AM
I used to weigh 160lbs for 10yrs........started working out at Golds about 5yrs ago.......I now weigh 195lbs and bench 310lbs. Oh, Im also over 40yrs old.

The best thing to do is work out AT A GYM......if and when possible. Do alot of benching, legs and arm workouts and eat foods with alot of protein........meats, eggs....things like that. I dont suggest supplements.....because your body will get used to the increased intake and if you ever slow down on the supplements or your workout......you will blow-up weight wise. You want to stay in shape and gain muscle weight, not fat weight. That is why I recommend controlling your weight with a good, balanced diet and working out......rather than supplements.

IMHO.....

Oh yeah, Im no longer at Golds, but still workout 3-4x a week at Snap 24hr fitness. :ihit

Brutalis
07-03-2008, 08:20 AM
I used to weigh 160lbs for 10yrs........started working out at Golds about 5yrs ago.......I now weigh 195lbs and bench 310lbs. Oh, Im also over 40yrs old.

The best thing to do is work out AT A GYM......if and when possible. Do alot of benching, legs and arm workouts and eat foods with alot of protein........meats, eggs....things like that. I dont suggest supplements.....because your body will get used to the increased intake and if you ever slow down on the supplements or your workout......you will blow-up weight wise. You want to stay in shape and gain muscle weight, not fat weight. That is why I recommend controlling your weight with a good, balanced diet and working out......rather than supplements.

IMHO.....

Oh yeah, Im no longer at Golds, but still workout 3-4x a week at Snap 24hr fitness. :ihit

What kind of monthly price should I be expecting to pay at a gym?

And supplements, I have always seen/been told that protein shakes, whey and all that are a must??? LoL what do you mean blow up weight wise?

ATRAIN
07-03-2008, 08:22 AM

And supplements, I have always seen/been told that protein shakes, whey and all that are a must???

I just read your pm man. Gym prices are usually around the 20 mark but go up with quality of gym. I pay 25 a month at Golds but I can use it at any golds around the US.

J.T.
07-03-2008, 08:24 AM
If you want to put on weight, eat three square meals a day at the following places for a week and you should gain 25 pounds easy:

Breakfast: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts. Personally I prefer DD. With KK you can just feel your ass getting fatter with every bite, but that may be what you're looking for. Go with a dozen of the biggest donuts with the most creme filling and lots of icing. That's probably like 400 calories per donut at least.

Lunch: Chinese Food Buffet. You can go to whichever one you prefer. Make sure to load up your plate so that it's like a pyramid of chicken, rice, eggrolls, wantons, and anything else you can fit on the plate without it spilling over. Get about five plates worth so that $3.99 lunch special goes a long, long way. Save room for dessert too.

Dinner: Taco Bell. Just spend like 10 dollars on those .89 cent burritos, that should get you like 12 of em. Get some of those caramel apple things too, maybe like 5, and make sure you go inside to eat to capitalize on the unlimited free drink refills.

Brutalis
07-03-2008, 08:25 AM
I just read your pm man. Gym prices are usually around the 20 mark but go up with quality of gym. I pay 25 a month at Golds but I can use it at any golds around the US.

Hit me back if you got some advice. I know you were saying something like talk to you when I can get to a gym or have weights, but I think my situation starting off with the push ups and etc have me sore as fuck as it's helping as it is.

Just 20-30? Wow cheap. I can do that. I am going to feel like a complete dumb ass however, I probably don't even know how to set the weights on the machines. :lol:lol:lol

ATRAIN
07-03-2008, 08:25 AM
If you want to put on weight, eat three square meals a day at the following places for a week and you should gain 25 pounds easy:

Breakfast: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts. Personally I prefer DD. With KK you can just feel your ass getting fatter with every bite, but that may be what you're looking for. Go with a dozen of the biggest donuts with the most creme filling and lots of icing. That's probably like 400 calories per donut at least.

Lunch: Chinese Food Buffet. You can go to whichever one you prefer. Make sure to load up your plate so that it's like a pyramid of chicken, rice, eggrolls, wantons, and anything else you can fit on the plate without it spilling over. Get about five plates worth so that $3.99 lunch special goes a long, long way. Save room for dessert too.

Dinner: Taco Bell. Just spend like 10 dollars on those .89 cent burritos, that should get you like 12 of em. Get some of those caramel apple things too, maybe like 5, and make sure you go inside to eat to capitalize on the unlimited free drink refills.

LMAO thats not the kind of wieght he is looking to put on. Also you can be skinny but still clog your arteries.

peewee's lovechild
07-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Get past puberty first.

J.T.
07-03-2008, 08:26 AM
And if you have problem holding down all that food, smoke a big fat bowl of some dank before you leave the house and you should have no probs.

lebomb
07-03-2008, 08:27 AM

And supplements, I have always seen/been told that protein shakes, whey and all that are a must??? LoL what do you mean blow up weight wise?

$25-$30........I pay $30 at Snap....and I can use any nation wide as well.

As far as supplements??? I had a friend that played football......struggled to gain weight for years.......took protein shakes like mad..........got really muscular and gained about 30lbs. Football career ended, and he stopped working out as much and stopped taking the supplements.........blew up to over 250lbs. Ive heard this happen more often than not. That is why IMHO, I say gain weight naturally with your diet and a good strong workout. Its much easier to control you body mass.

Brutalis

1. I can't afford to eat out 21 times a week.
2. I assume you're kidding anyways.

ATRAIN
Hit me back if you got some advice. I know you were saying something like talk to you when I can get to a gym or have weights, but I think my situation starting off with the push ups and etc have me sore as fuck as it's helping as it is.

Just 20-30? Wow cheap. I can do that. I am going to feel like a complete dumb ass however, I probably don't even know how to set the weights on the machines. :lol:lol:lol

I have been training a friend of mine for a month now and he was a total gym noob. What you have to remember is that everyone started off like that. No one will judge you and if you have problems dont be shy to ask. No one will look down and you and will commend you for trying. Be positive and keep at it. I pmed you back.

ATRAIN
07-03-2008, 08:28 AM
And if you have problem holding down all that food, smoke a big fat bowl of some dank before you leave the house and you should have no probs.

LOL

J.T.
07-03-2008, 08:29 AM
2. I assume you're kidding anyways.

If I learned any one thing from growing up in San Antonio, it's how to put on some serious flab without much effort. I go to the gym now too but for different reasons than you're looking for. :toast

Tho being a broke college student is a pretty good diet plan.

ATRAIN
07-03-2008, 08:29 AM

As far as supplements??? I had a friend that played football......struggled to gain weight for years.......took protein shakes like mad..........got really muscular and gained about 30lbs. Football career ended, and he stopped working out as much and stopped taking the supplements.........blew up to over 250lbs. Ive heard this happen more often than not. That is why IMHO, I say gain weight naturally with your diet and a good strong workout. Its much easier to control you body mass.

That usually only happens if you keep taking it when your not working out. Worst case you lose the muscle content you had.

Brutalis
07-03-2008, 08:30 AM

That is so cheap. What kind of hours do most gyms have? They open late or anything?

And holy shit @ your friend. Now I'm worried -- thanks a lot!! :lol

J.T.
07-03-2008, 08:31 AM
BRB I'm going to get some fucking donuts.

J.T.
07-03-2008, 08:34 AM
That is so cheap. What kind of hours do most gyms have? They open late or anything?

I used to have a membership at Gold's Gym and they were open 24 hours every day but Sunday I think. Stay away from personal trainers in my opinion. Some of them charge ridiculous amounts of money for a one hour session, and that's straight up cash in their pocket for them so they are going to try to get you signed up for some PT sessions when you get your gym membership. And if you said you couldn't afford my MegaFlab Diet Program then you can't afford a got damn personal trainer.

ATRAIN
07-03-2008, 08:36 AM

The body's can't store protein, and people vary widely in their daily protein needs. Recommendations from the government (0.8 gram of protein per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of bodyweight) totally contradict what many hardcore actually do (1 gram or more per pound of bodyweight), but the truth for you may lie somewhere in between. Whatever your protein needs, if you exceed them without following an accompanying mass-building program, the excess calories won't translate into muscle. I believe in small amounts throughout the day builds mass muscle without fat gains far more than large amounts of protein at one time (See Grazing). Also, if you aren't eating enough carbohydrate, you'll waste that precious protein on the fueling of basic metabolic processes and daily activity. In some cases, when people increase their protein intake drastically and then gain muscle, it may not be due to protein intake but to raising their calorie intake to a point at which growth can be supported. A final thought on protein: If your kidneys aren't in good shape, or you have kidneys disease, using excess alcohol, steroids, or any other medications that are hard and the kidneys and liver, a high-protein diet isn't a good ideal. You should determine a proper protein intake only.
In closing, remember that protein powders should be treated as a supplement to a food-based diet. Ideally, you should eat a variety of protein sources throughout the day, as well as enough carbohydrate to provide energy and prevent the protein you consume from being broken down to fuel basic energy needs. Any protein supplement, and long as you consume it with a a well-balanced mixed diet of different proteins, then all of your amino acids bases will be covered.

http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Information/Fitness/protein2.htm

Brutalis
07-03-2008, 08:37 AM
I used to have a membership at Gold's Gym and they were open 24 hours every day but Sunday I think. Stay away from personal trainers in my opinion. Some of them charge ridiculous amounts of money for a one hour session, and that's straight up cash in their pocket for them so they are going to try to get you signed up for some PT sessions when you get your gym membership. And if you said you couldn't afford my MegaFlab Diet Program then you can't afford a got damn personal trainer.

:lol

lebomb
07-03-2008, 08:38 AM

Snap gyms are smaller......located all over. They are 24hrs......you have a card that lets you into the gym at your convenience. My gym is about 1mi. from my house......I can walk, ride a bike, or drive there. I like it because its close, and I can workout when I want. They have great equipment including free weights, and the place never has over 2-3 people there at one time. I usually superset.

J.T.
07-03-2008, 08:38 AM
STEROIDS

[/thread]

(If interested, a friend of mine used to sell them to Dat Nguyen and other Dallas Cowboys players. I can provide a telephone number.)

Brutalis
07-03-2008, 08:42 AM
The body's can't store protein, and people vary widely in their daily protein needs. Recommendations from the government (0.8 gram of protein per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of bodyweight) totally contradict what many hardcore actually do (1 gram or more per pound of bodyweight), but the truth for you may lie somewhere in between. Whatever your protein needs, if you exceed them without following an accompanying mass-building program, the excess calories won't translate into muscle. I believe in small amounts throughout the day builds mass muscle without fat gains far more than large amounts of protein at one time (See Grazing). Also, if you aren't eating enough carbohydrate, you'll waste that precious protein on the fueling of basic metabolic processes and daily activity. In some cases, when people increase their protein intake drastically and then gain muscle, it may not be due to protein intake but to raising their calorie intake to a point at which growth can be supported. A final thought on protein: If your kidneys aren't in good shape, or you have kidneys disease, using excess alcohol, steroids, or any other medications that are hard and the kidneys and liver, a high-protein diet isn't a good ideal. You should determine a proper protein intake only.
In closing, remember that protein powders should be treated as a supplement to a food-based diet. Ideally, you should eat a variety of protein sources throughout the day, as well as enough carbohydrate to provide energy and prevent the protein you consume from being broken down to fuel basic energy needs. Any protein supplement, and long as you consume it with a a well-balanced mixed diet of different proteins, then all of your amino acids bases will be covered.

http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Information/Fitness/protein2.htm

:downspin: This is really confusing at first, but very useful at the same time if that makes any sense.

Extra Stout
07-03-2008, 08:42 AM
:lol Dude, J.T., between the booze, the cocaine, and your diet, you'll be lucky to see age 40.

Brutalis
07-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Snap gyms are smaller......located all over. They are 24hrs......you have a card that lets you into the gym at your convenience. My gym is about 1mi. from my house......I can walk, ride a bike, or drive there. I like it because its close, and I can workout when I want. They have great equipment including free weights, and the place never has over 2-3 people there at one time. I usually superset.

I don't know about free weights, I am too damn n00b to working out and would end up dropping the shit on my neck or something.

I am going to google Golds and Snaps and see which is closer to me thanks bud.

lebomb
07-03-2008, 08:45 AM
IMHO.......unless you want to be a body builder or power lifter, you can gain alot of weight and as much muscle as you probably want without supplements. Its all about a balanced diet and lifting weights. Like I said.....IMHO. :downspin:

Brutalis
07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
There is no Snap Fitness within even 100 miles of me!!! LMAO

There is NO GOLDS GYM IN ARKANSAS.

W T F

johnsmith
07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
The only supplements that REALLY WORK, in my experience, have been actual steroids.

Other then that, I'm all for a protein supplement and a balanced diet as Lebomb said.

J.T.
07-03-2008, 08:48 AM
:lol Dude, J.T., between the booze, the cocaine, and your diet, you'll be lucky to see age 40.

Dude I quit coke fuckin' months ago. Like in January.

And I don't eat like that. These days I get about one square meal a day, usually at Quiznos. That $5 meat stack sandwich is about the greatest thing on god's green earth you can buy for five bucks. If I could afford to eat like that I wouldn't be broke and indebt.

J.T.
07-03-2008, 08:49 AM
There is no Snap Fitness within even 100 miles of me!!! LMAO

There is NO GOLDS GYM IN ARKANSAS.

W T F

So you want that steroid dealer's number now or what?

lebomb
07-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Lastly......Im pretty muscular (get compliments all the time) and I have never taken a single supplement in my life. I just eat well and workout alot. Anyhow, good luck!

J.T.
07-03-2008, 08:53 AM
I wish I could eat well and work out but smoking weed is counterproductive toward both of those.

Brutalis
07-03-2008, 08:53 AM

1. I like my package. It's pleasing to women and I will not fuck that up. (not that i go fucking chicks all the time, i not that kinda dude)
2. Read 1.
3. Shrinkage is a bitch and there will be no steroid use here.

Extra Stout
07-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Back in the days when I worked out, I was stupid and got a personal trainer. Here I was a scrawny 160-lb 20-year-old and he had me counting calories. Well, I wasn't making any gains in the weight I was lifting, but boy was I losing weight! I got down to 145 and friends and relatives thought I must have cancer or something.

So I ditched the trainer and started eating normal amounts of protein and fat. I immediately began making substantial strength gains. By the age of 22, I had more than doubled the weight I could lift in most exercises, and had put on about 25 lbs. of muscle.

Dropping the personal trainer for me was like dropping the clutch.

Wayne Campbell
07-03-2008, 08:57 AM
1. I like my package. It's pleasing to women and I will not fuck that up. (not that i go fucking chicks all the time, i not that kinda dude)
2. Read 1.
3. Shrinkage is a bitch and there will be no steroid use here.

There's actually a 1 in 368 billion chance that juicing will make you bigger. Come on brah, you can't even get those kind of odds in Vegas!

Brutalis
07-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Back in the days when I worked out, I was stupid and got a personal trainer. Here I was a scrawny 160-lb 20-year-old and he had me counting calories. Well, I wasn't making any gains in the weight I was lifting, but boy was I losing weight! I got down to 145 and friends and relatives thought I must have cancer or something.

So I ditched the trainer and started eating normal amounts of protein and fat. I immediately began making substantial strength gains. By the age of 22, I had more than doubled the weight I could lift in most exercises, and had put on about 25 lbs. of muscle.

Dropping the personal trainer for me was like dropping the clutch.

:lol damn.

Wasn't going for a personal trainer to begin with and damn sure won't be convinced to get one either.

johnsmith
07-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Roids don't shrink the wang. The nuts, now that is a different story...........but they bounce back nicely with a good pct program.........plus the body will do it naturally.

leemajors
07-03-2008, 09:13 AM
yeah JT's right, Vitamin S is the way to go.

Brutalis
07-03-2008, 09:19 AM
I once knew a dude that worked out a lot, took roids, supplements.

Well once he quit all that, and just ate right and worked out, dude deflated like a balloon.

Like, ... deflated... all over...

/thread

johnsmith
07-03-2008, 09:32 AM
I once knew a dude that worked out a lot, took roids, supplements.

Well once he quit all that, and just ate right and worked out, dude deflated like a balloon.

Like, ... deflated... all over...

/thread

If you take certain types of Roids and don't go through a proper Post Cycle Therapy (PCT) program as well as eating like a pig along with heavy weights afterwards, that is exactly what will happen.

Figure that if you do indeed take the roids, once you're done with them, even if you do everything correctly, you'll lose about 10% of your gains. Having said that, the gains you make while using them is around 90%, so you drop down to 80%.

Plus, muscle has memory, once that big, it's easy to get there again.

I haven't touched that stuff for a few years, I've lost quite a bit of weight, but most of that was lost intentionally. I don't play sports anymore so I saw no reason to put my body through that anymore.

All in all though, if you educate yourself enough on roids, use them safely, and routinely get bloodwork done, they are fairly safe.

Having said that, they are still a drug that fucks with your muscles, liver, kidney's, etc, and I'm sure will come back to haunt me later in life.

florige
07-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Plenty of Protein. Fish, Chicken, Protein Shakes. What that does is helps you put on solid muscle.

johnsmith
07-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Plenty of Protein. Fish, Chicken, Protein Shakes. What that does is helps you put on solid muscle.

I don't care what anyone has said on this site, everytime you post, I have to stop and stare at your sig for a while.

mavs>spurs2
07-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Mus-l blast protein powder plus working out at the gym helped me put on 12 pounds the first month

CosmicCowboy
07-03-2008, 09:56 AM
If you want to do it without roids and build muscle mass it's just a matter of eating LOTS of carbs and protein and then burning them off with activity. When I did it in college for sports I went from 190 to a toned 250 running 10 miles a day (time goal was 60 minutes) and doing an hour of gym time with heavy weight, low reps...like as much as you can lift/press for 10 reps and maybe do 2-3 rotated sets working different muscle groups. I was eating 6K-8K calories a day and then burning them off.

MavDynasty
07-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Ask T Park

J.T.
07-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Ask T Park

I thought T Park was on the verge of replacing Jared as a weight loss celeb?

Brutalis
07-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm taking notes, except for the roids.

rAm
07-03-2008, 03:38 PM

rofl