PDA

View Full Version : Top Local Sports Radio Shows?

2centsworth
07-03-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm mainly writing this to give attention to Paul Alexander's show in the afternoons. It's a darn good local show. He had great takes on Russ Bookbinder's retirement, had a great interview with one of George Hill's coaches, and just recently had Tommy Nobis on the show. Plus, unlike a lot of local sports talk host, Paul has a grasp of the English Language.

My top three shows are as follows:

1. Taylor's afternoon show. The guy has grown on me because he knows his stuff, but he also lands the best interviews. Listen most days.

2. Paul Alexander's show. I can talk Texas highschool, college, and pro football all day. Mix in a little Spurs and San Antonio Sports and I'm good. Listen most days.

3. Sports Grind. They are different, cool, and have some knowledge. Listen occassionaly.

I like Duehl personally, but his show is not my style. To me Duehl has way too much caffine in him, yells too much, and doesn't seem to talk sports all that much. If I had some advice for Duehl it woud be to play every fantasy sport available. Play fantasy baseball, football, basketball, golf, nascar, etc...

N.Y. Johnny
07-03-2008, 10:13 AM
I love Coach's show. I listen to it and really hate when it ends and its time for Tirico......I like Duel's show too on ESPN. Those are really the only two shows locally that I listen to regularly.
Oh and the Thompson's are ok to listen to at times.

I honeslty haven't tuned into the Ticket since I came back to Texas here recently, I do know that they have Dan Patrick on there in the mornings but I don't care for him and I definitely would rather entertain myself with a raging case of hemmoroids than listen to Jim Rome, so thats pretty much why I don't listen to the Ticket. I liked that we have a ESPN Station here now.

AlamoSpursFan
07-03-2008, 10:27 AM
1. Track Smack With Dawn Murphy, Saturday mornings 8-10, ESPN 1250 The Zone

2. Dawn, Chris, and Jason

3. The Thompson Brothers

4. The Garden Show with Bob Webster, 550 KTSA (No it's not sports, but it's infinitely more interesting than anything on Brand X or Brand Y. :lol )

S_A_Longhorn
07-03-2008, 11:03 AM
1. Thompson Brothers - no matter if it is sports or regular talk, I really enjoy their show and laugh half the time.

2. Paul Alexander - very knowledgable, but comes off a bit arrogant at times.

3. Sports Grind - Black guys on the Ticket? Naaaahhh.....

Duel - I agree that not enough sports talk is actually talked about. I do love his regular talk show on KTSA previously.

Sorry, I just don't listen to The Ticket anymore ouside of the Sports Grind. I hate Mike Taylor, and will always hate Taylor for the first couple of days of his show. "I'm a Mavs fan but I got to pay the mortgage......so Go Spurs Go!!!" Grow some balls and stand up for your teams. Don't kiss my ass just to get my attention. And why the Ticket would hire someone from Dallas to do Sports Talk San Antonio is ridiculouos.

N.Y. Johnny
07-03-2008, 11:07 AM
1. Thompson Brothers - no matter if it is sports or regular talk, I really enjoy their show and laugh half the time.

2. Paul Alexander - very knowledgable, but comes off a bit arrogant at times.

3. Sports Grind - Black guys on the Ticket? Naaaahhh.....

Duel - I agree that not enough sports talk is actually talked about. I do love his regular talk show on KTSA previously.

Sorry, I just don't listen to The Ticket anymore ouside of the Sports Grind. I hate Mike Taylor, and will always hate Taylor for the first couple of days of his show. "I'm a Mavs fan but I got to pay the mortgage......so Go Spurs Go!!!" Grow some balls and stand up for your teams. Don't kiss my ass just to get my attention. And why the Ticket would hire someone from Dallas to do Sports Talk San Antonio is ridiculouos.

Yeah I agree with you on the Ticket if thats where its at now. Its just not that good of a lineup. Dan Patrick and Rome early on really make for unlistenable radio and the afternoons are not as good as ESPN 1250.

I can't believe for once I'll say that I like the local guys over the National stuff, but I do on 1250.

BigZak
07-03-2008, 11:12 AM
duel entertains me...amuses me...yeah like a clown...but i'll keep listening...i like when he said he'd tell debra lefave what her ass tasted like no doubt!

earmuffs mrs. duel! earmuffs!!!

2centsworth
07-03-2008, 11:50 AM

the guy rubbed me wrong too, but it's obvious he knows his sports. Plus, it's sort of refreshing not to get homer opinions.

Chris Duel
07-03-2008, 12:53 PM
I like Duehl personally, but his show is not my style. To me Duehl has way too much caffine in him, yells too much, and doesn't seem to talk sports all that much. If I had some advice for Duehl it woud be to play every fantasy sport available. Play fantasy baseball, football, basketball, golf, nascar, etc...

I agree. That Duehl dude is loud and rarely talks sports.

Here are my top five Local fantasy Sports Radio Shows...

1. "Get Off My Elevator!" with Jay Howard

2. "The Sports Bong" with Mouse

3. "Can't We All Just Get Along?" with Rodney King, Kori Ellis and Dusty Garza

4. "Sports and My Smokin' Hot Wife" with Bob Ballou and Vanessa Macias-Ballou

5. "The Advanced Smile Care Sports Show featuring The Dirt Free Carpet Cleaning Scoreboard and The Neopell Hair Growth Shampoo Roundtable" with your host, Clear Channel sales manager Peter Burns
:downspin: :toast :p: :flag:

2centsworth
07-03-2008, 12:58 PM

2. "The Sports Bong" with Mouse

3. "Can't We All Just Get Along?" with Rodney King, Kori Ellis and Dusty Garza

4. "Sports and My Smokin' Hot Wife" with Bob Ballou and Vanessa Macias-Ballou

5. "The Advanced Smile Care Sports Show featuring The Dirt Free Carpet Cleaning Scoreboard and The Neopell Hair Growth Shampoo Roundtable" with your host, Clear Channel sales manager Peter Burns

I'm pulling for you. The fantasy suggestion was to increase your knowledge of sports, but not an idea for the show. Anyways, from the responses it sounds like you're doing well.

T Park
07-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Thompsons
Duel
Coach A.

Everything else is shit.

Evan
07-03-2008, 01:23 PM
www.theticket.com

AlamoSpursFan
07-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Everything else is shit.

I beg to differ...

alamo50
07-04-2008, 09:47 AM
I hope the Pop show will be back again coming season................

timvp
07-04-2008, 02:19 PM
People still listen to radio? ROFL.

Tree hugger
07-05-2008, 09:24 PM
People still listen to radio? ROFL.

To bad you missed Kori on the radio it was cool! :tu

PeterBurns
07-06-2008, 01:25 PM

5. "The Advanced Smile Care Sports Show featuring The Dirt Free Carpet Cleaning Scoreboard and The Neopell Hair Growth Shampoo Roundtable" with your host, Clear Channel sales manager Peter Burns[/FONT][/B]

Actually, it will just be called

The Morning Drive presented by Miller Lite.

I haven't heard back from Neopell yet.

tonylongoriafan
07-06-2008, 01:50 PM
who cares, they all suck in the middle of the summer. just bring back the topic wheel already...i don't care who does

(best topic wheel ever, 2003 western conf finals. question: real reason tony parker got sick against dallas and couldn't play...answer: ate a little mexican last night)

AlamoSpursFan
07-06-2008, 10:35 PM
And hands down the best sports radio show out there is the Thompsons Brothers.
End of Story.

Not possible.

Now if their show was called "Dawn Murphy with the Thompson Brothers", that would be a correct statement.

:hat

Taco
07-07-2008, 07:37 AM

is this where he speaks just to hear himself talk?

Taco
07-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Everything else is shit.

you never heard the Sports Grind?

those guys are pretty good

CharlieMac
07-07-2008, 07:48 PM
you never heard the Sports Grind?

those guys are pretty good

I REALLY like the Sports Grind. It's almost a treat when I turn the radio on and hear them.

1. Duel
2. Sports Grind
3. Coach A

The Thompson Brothers have their days. Some days they are on their shit. Other days, I find myself wondering what Mike Taylor is talking about. Which is sad because that is by far the worst show ever. I'm kind of suprised he didn't talk about the Dallas Stars or FC Dallas while the Spurs were in the playoffs.

CharlieMac
07-07-2008, 07:49 PM
And as much as Chris hated it, along with everyone else, I missed Duel and Booms. I remember going to SAC and sitting in the truck to just listen to Chris try to not lose it on air.

Taco
07-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Chris and Jason, had a great show in honor of Dan Cook!!!

N.Y. Johnny
07-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Chris and Jason, had a great show in honor of Dan Cook!!!

Great show. I caught that there was a youtube clip up of Dan's last show and rewatched that and got great memories of the good ol' days.

mouse
07-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Talk radio seems to do well until the host's ego takes over and then it goes to shit.

USA Employee
07-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Unless your........................................

http://synthesismagazine.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/cigaraficionado5.jpg

S_A_Longhorn
07-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Talk radio seems to do well until the host's ego takes over and then it goes to shit.

Actually I thought he was talking about Jim Rome. My wife and I were really big fans of him when we were in college (late 90s-early 2000s) as he was hilarious. Now, his show is dominated by interviews. Sorry, but his interviews bore me to death even when he has a Spur. The format for his show is the same every day - intro, setup interview, interview, talk about how great the interview was, repeat x2 hours.

I like Dan Patrick, but he is similar to Tirico in his monotone voice. Not very interesting sports talk. Of course, there isn't much to talk about right now so I'll try them again come football season.

The Sports Grind is very good. Minorities on Clear Channel?? Who would have thunk it?!?!?

I'll listen to STSA whenever Mike Taylor is fired. He's been on for a almost a year now, so it shouldn't be too long now. He may know his sports, but don't pretend to call MY Spurs "our" Spurs. He is a Mavs fan, and needs to stop calling the Spurs "our" Spurs. That is simply insulting.

I like Chris Duel, but his show sometimes is over my head. I'm 31, and I'm still lost when he starts talking about the "old days".

PeterBurns
07-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Actually I thought he was talking about Jim Rome. My wife and I were really big fans of him when we were in college (late 90s-early 2000s) as he was hilarious. Now, his show is dominated by interviews. Sorry, but his interviews bore me to death even when he has a Spur. The format for his show is the same every day - intro, setup interview, interview, talk about how great the interview was, repeat x2 hours.

The Sports Grind is very good. Minorities on Clear Channel?? Who would have thunk it?!?!?

I'll listen to STSA whenever Mike Taylor is fired. He's been on for a almost a year now, so it shouldn't be too long now. He may know his sports, but don't pretend to call MY Spurs "our" Spurs. He is a Mavs fan, and needs to stop calling the Spurs "our" Spurs. That is simply insulting.

I like Chris Duel, but his show sometimes is over my head. I'm 31, and I'm still lost when he starts talking about the "old days".

Dude, you are far away from the ever listening to STSA then.

Ratings for Taylor are better than we've ever had at the station. It's going to be funny on how people are going to lambast him for his Dallas connections, but when Cowboys season comes around, he's going to blow everyone out of the water with his info about the Boys.

Taylor has grown the station 20%+ in Cume and 24% in AQH rating since he took the helm.

In the words of Larry David..."Pretty, Pretty, Pretty Good"

2centsworth
07-08-2008, 10:36 AM

Ratings for Taylor are better than we've ever had at the station. It's going to be funny on how people are going to lambast him for his Dallas connections, but when Cowboys season comes around, he's going to blow everyone out of the water with his info about the Boys.

Taylor has grown the station 20%+ in Cume and 24% in AQH rating since he took the helm.

Taylor is good. I thought he had a horrific start, but he's recovered IMO.

N.Y. Johnny
07-08-2008, 10:45 AM

I like Dan Patrick, but he is similar to Tirico in his monotone voice. Not very interesting sports talk. Of course, there isn't much to talk about right now so I'll try them again come football season.

Spot on about Rome. The schtick is just tired and used up and really old. If it isn't interviews its him talking about maybe moving to Satellite Radio or retiring or who knows. Thats the last time I heard Rome he was contemplating during contract time I guess, its just not good radio anymore.
That can be said for the rest of the Ticket for me, I for one just can't get into the rest of the guys on there so its no big deal. I do like Duel's show and the rest of the local lineup on 1250.
I don't think I've ever been able to say that as usually the nationally syndicated shows were better than the local stuff, like back in the Tony Bruno Fox Sports Radio run. I really can't say much either for ESPN's National lineup except Mike and Mike are ok. Colin Cowherd is attrocious and the rest of the lineup, meh.

Taco
07-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Mouse's buddy G-Moore is co-hosting "Bringing It" today on ESPN while Paul Alexander is on Vacation

S_A_Longhorn
07-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Spot on about Rome. The schtick is just tired and used up and really old. If it isn't interviews its him talking about maybe moving to Satellite Radio or retiring or who knows. Thats the last time I heard Rome he was contemplating during contract time I guess, its just not good radio anymore.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Rome's pathetic sucking up to every guest he interviews. As if he wants to be best buddies with every guest. Reminds me of the kid who brags he knows so-and-so just to prop himself up.

No problem, DUDE. Ask Duel about ratings and employment status at Clear Channel.

And I do know enough about Mike Taylor that it DOES NOT HAVE TO BE FOOTBALL SEASON for Taylor to talk 100% Dallas Cowboys. That is the one subject he has hammered to death ever since he got on STSA. Might as well talk Cowboys to be on of "our" guys.

In fact, the show should be re-named SPDC - Sports Talk Dallas Cowboys - to appeal to the local SA listener.

mouse
07-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Dude, Ratings for Taylor are better than we've ever

Keep in mind the show he replaced, It was not what I call the best quality sports radio out there.
Jeff Vexler may be good but him and Wally talking over each other was like having root canal work done on your eye socket. Hell even a show about cooking would have done better. So before you toot your Ticket76 horn,

you may want to loosen your tight grip you have on Mike's nut sac and look at the big picture.

It's not just always money and ratings, sometimes people just want bullshit free talk radio. And it seems like those days are long gone.................

PeterBurns
07-08-2008, 05:04 PM
With you Mouse. BS Free Talk would be nice.

The latest Radio Ratings Trend just came in today. Haven't had a chance to look at it a lot. Will post an update when it comes.

mouse
07-08-2008, 05:25 PM
With you Mouse. BS Free Talk would be nice.

The latest Radio Ratings Trend just came in today. Haven't had a chance to look at it a lot. Will post an update when it comes.

Do me a favor and include this when you post your next ratings.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/to/tobar-ltd-classic-bike-horn.jpg

Stacie
07-08-2008, 06:50 PM
I wish Peter would give me some good ratings! :(

AlamoSpursFan
07-08-2008, 08:25 PM
No problem, DUDE. Ask Duel about ratings and employment status at Clear Channel.

:lol

In the words of the aforementioned Pimp In The Box...EPIC!!!!!!

I'll take Chris Duel's Cowboy knowledge over Sominex In The Box...ERRRRRR Mike Taylor's any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

And the best Sports Talk shows in town still all have one thing in common: Dawn Murphy. Period. Paragraph. End of freaking story.

2centsworth
07-08-2008, 09:12 PM
I was listening at 5:15 for about 10 mintues today and switched between 1250 and 760 to hear the difference. 1250 was yelling about dominatrixes, 760 talked about cowboys.

Tree hugger
07-08-2008, 09:28 PM
I was listening at 5:15 for about 10 mintues today and switched between 1250 and 760 to hear the difference. 1250 was yelling about dominatrixes, 760 talked about cowboys.

Like there is a difference? :lol

GoGatos
07-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Keep in mind the show he replaced, It was not what I call the best quality sports radio out there.

Jeff Vexler may be good but him and Wally talking over each other was like having root canal work done on your eye socket. Hell even a show about cooking would have done better. So before you toot your Ticket76 horn, you may want to loosen your tight grip you have on Mike's nut sac and look at the big picture.

You mean the big picture that also includes the illustrious Thompson Brothers as PM drive hosts on the Ticket?? By the way, those trends that Peter mentioned, I haven't seen the number yet but the big boss came in just before the show and told us it's the highest rating in men 18+ in the HISTORY of the Ticket.

Is 13 years a big enough picture for you, Mouse?

Lance
07-08-2008, 09:54 PM
^ The Stations lap dog trying to look good. :lmao

GoGatos
07-08-2008, 09:58 PM

When you post the highest ratings in the entire history of local sports talk radio in this city, you don't have to try to look good.

Speaking of looking good, anyone else notice Mike Taylor get 2nd place in the Reader's Choice awards for the E-N?? Again, just sayin'...

Jimmy Bobby
07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Eat s**t you stupid idiots. Don't act like you know ANYTHING about radio. Ticket 760 rocks and ESPN is a piece of crap.

This is Mike Taylor's town, people. You losers just happen to live in it. Either get with the program or kiss my ass!

dawn
07-08-2008, 10:21 PM

Ya, that was a FUN half-Hour.. then of course I guess to some talking to the ORIGINAL #88 for 15 minutes is not real COWBOY talk... but some of us LOVE the guy... Drew Pearson ROCKS!!!

Jimmy Bobby
07-08-2008, 10:23 PM

Shut up, Lance, you stupid pot smoker. People who know sports in this town listen to Ticket 760. Just wait till Cowboys season starts. No one can touch Mike on his Cowboy knowledge or his access to players and coaches.

We will dominate the sports scene this football season! Bank on it, idiots!

Jimmy Bobby
07-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Ya, that was a FUN half-Hour.. then of course I guess to some talking to the ORIGINAL #88 for 15 minutes is not real COWBOY talk... but some of us LOVE the guy... Drew Pearson ROCKS!!!

Drew Pearson? Who the flock is Drew Pearson? How impressive that you people can book 60 year old Cowboys. Mike Taylor talks with TODAY's Cowboys, you idiots. No one gives a crap about Drew Pearson. That loser isn't even in the Ring of Honor.

We laugh at you! :lmao

GoGatos
07-08-2008, 10:29 PM

It's a complete travesty that Pearson is not in the Ring of Honor. However, anyone who's ever spoken for 5 minutes with the insiders at Valley Ranch knows that Drew Pearson rubbed people in the organization the wrong way before he ever stopped playing. The reason he's not in the Ring is because he continually bitches about not being in the ring. Also, they'll tell you that Pearson was a bigger coke-head than Michael Irvin ever dreamed of being. There's a reason the Cowboys kicked off him their radio network.

Granted, he's turned his life around now, and deserves to be in the ring of honor. However, Drew Pearson doesn't realize his continual bitching about not being in the Ring of Honor is the very reason Jerry will never put him there. Jerry put a dead man in the ring before Drew Pearson for crying out loud, and as long as Jerry is alive, Drew will never get there. Not saying it's right, just saying that's the way it is.

Jimmy Bobby
07-08-2008, 10:32 PM
It's a complete travesty that Pearson is not in the Ring of Honor. However, anyone who's ever spoken for 5 minutes with the insiders at Valley Ranch knows that Drew Pearson rubbed people in the organization the wrong way before he ever stopped playing. The reason he's not in the Ring is because he continually bitches about not being in the ring. Also, they'll tell you that Pearson was a bigger coke-head than Michael Irvin ever dreamed of being. There's a reason the Cowboys kicked off him their radio network.

Granted, he's turned his life around now, and deserves to be in the ring of honor. However, Drew Pearson doesn't realize his continual bitching about not being in the Ring of Honor is the very reason Jerry will never put him there. Jerry put a dead man in the ring before Drew Pearson for crying out loud, and as long as Jerry is alive, Drew will never get there. Not saying it's right, just saying that's the way it is.

YEAH!!!! Boo-Yah, Bitches!!! I'll bet you little queers failed to mention ANY of that when you spoke with loser Drew Pearson on your pathetic little station today!

Jimmy Bobby
07-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Oh, and by the way, nice try by your desperate little move by having Joe Reinagel and Bill Taylor try their hand at hosting this week.

Those losers can't even carry Mike Taylor's jock. And tell that gap-toothed Bill Taylor to change his name. There is only one "Taylor" in this town, and his name is Michael, bitches.

2centsworth
07-08-2008, 10:40 PM

Drew was awesome. as far as the Fun half-hour, maybe for you, but it made for bad radio IMO. Just talk sports with occassional jokes and side notes. Dominatrixes will get you shipped to the new braunfels station next. Just constructive criticism. I would love for ESPN to knock it out the box.

dawn
07-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Drew was awesome. as far as the Fun half-hour, maybe for you, but it made for bad radio IMO. Just talk sports with occassional jokes and side notes. Dominatrixes will get you shipped to the new braunfels station next. Just constructive criticism. I would love for ESPN to knock it out the box.

HA HA... to some, dominatrix, or the art there of, is a sport... ha ha:lol

Shelly.
07-08-2008, 10:43 PM
When you post the highest ratings in the entire history of local sports talk radio in this city, you don't have to try to look good.

Speaking of looking good, anyone else notice Mike Taylor get 2nd place in the Reader's Choice awards for the E-N?? Again, just sayin'...

It must be so cool to know so much about sports radio your very talented. I wonder when Andrew Ashwood is going to get you your own show! :tu

dawn
07-08-2008, 10:46 PM
HA HA... to some, dominatrix, or the art there of, is a sport... ha ha:lol

Max Mosley... no wait, that is sadomasochistic orgies with Nazi role playing...

mouse
07-08-2008, 10:52 PM
It must be so cool to know so much about sports radio your very talented. I wonder when Andrew Ashwood is going to get you your own show! :tu

I have spent night after night emailing the ticket76 to get GoGato's his own show, but I am only one person on dial up mind you, I need help from others if I am going to succeed in this quest for quality sports radio in this great city we all live in. :depressed

Jimmy Bobby
07-08-2008, 10:52 PM

Who the hell is Andrew Ashwood, bitch? Just STFU and listen to the greatest sports station in the history of radio sports in this pathetic one-horse town.

You idiots can post on your little message board, but we'll be making history on the big stage. And BTW, Ticket 760 Spurs analyst Dusty Garza isn't too impressed with you people.

GoGatos
07-08-2008, 11:00 PM
I have spent night after night emailing the ticket76 to get GoGato's his own show, but I am only one person on dial up mind you, I need help from others if I am going to succeed in this quest for quality sports radio in this great city we all live in. :depressed

Psssh... c'mon Mouse, You and I both know Clear Channel couldn't afford to make me a host AND pay Burns' salary at the same time. :lol Plus, Clear Channel-owned Premiere Networks just gave Rush $400 million... the well is dry now.

2centsworth
07-08-2008, 11:07 PM
GoGatos is to Mike Taylor what Flava Flav was to Chuck D.

Tike Mailer
07-08-2008, 11:12 PM
GoGatos is to Mike Taylor what Flava Flav was to Chuck D.

Holmes, GoGatos is to Mike Taylor as Robin is to Batman.

GoGatos is to Mike Taylor as Kelly is to Regis.

GoGatos is to Mike Taylor as Bush is to Cheney.

GoGatos is to Mike Taylor as David was to Tim.

GoGatos is to Mike Taylor as Mouse is to his gay lover Chris Duel.

GoGatos is to Mike Taylor as Lee Harvey Oswald is to the C.I.A.

GoGatos is to Mike Taylor as Pacman Jones is to strip clubs.

It's all good, brah.

Banjo Boy
07-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Psssh... c'mon Mouse, You and I both know Clear Channel couldn't afford to make me a host AND pay Burns' salary at the same time. :lol Plus, Clear Channel-owned Premiere Networks just gave Rush $400 million... the well is dry now.

You guys don't know by now GoGatos is really Peter Burns? :lmao

GoGatos
07-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Actually, I really am Jim Bob. Nice try though.

AlamoSpursFan
07-09-2008, 12:09 AM

The "entire history of local sports talk radio in this city" includes however long the Tickrah has been on the air, and Jay Howard's original STSA on 'OAI. Your station has been on the air an awful long time to get to the "lofty" level you're at now. Just wait and see how little time it takes ESPN 1250 The Zone to get where you're at...Jim Bob.

Speaking of ballot stuffing good, anyone else notice Mike Taylor get 2nd place in the Reader's Choice awards for the E-N?? Again, just sayin'...

Fixed that for ya.

Dolt.

2centsworth
07-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Just wait and see how little time it takes ESPN 1250 The Zone to get where you're at...Jim Bob.

so dominatrix and drew pearson will catapult them up the charts?

AlamoSpursFan
07-09-2008, 12:19 AM
so dominatrix and drew pearson will catapult them up the charts?

Yeah. That's all they ever have. Dominatrix and Drew Pearson. 24/7/365.

You can't really be that dumb, can you?

There is not enough bandwidth on algore's interweb to list all of the stupid topics that have ever graced the Tickrah's air. Topic Wheel. Need I say more?

Jimmy Bobby
07-09-2008, 12:56 AM
Yeah. That's all they ever have. Dominatrix and Drew Pearson. 24/7/365.

You can't really be that dumb, can you?

There is not enough bandwidth on algore's interweb to list all of the stupid topics that have ever graced the Tickrah's air. Topic Wheel. Need I say more?

Shut up you stupid imbecile and kiss my ass! We serve our listenership with what they starve for: Spurs (we own them), Cowboys (we own them), Longhorns (we own them), Aggies (we own them), Astros (we own them), Rampage (we own them) and Silver Stars (we own them).

WTF does ESpeeN have? Dick! We brought Mike Taylor from Dallas because the pathetic talentless pool in this dog-ass town was barely a step up from Lufkin! Most of you trailer park snot wads wouldn't know great sports radio if it slapped you in the face. Well, listen to me now and remember this when we further dominate the ratings, dill weed: Ticket 760 is the 8,000 pound gorilla in this city. And if that queer little ESpeeN station wants to try to compete with us by airing dominatrix talk or Drew (nobody cares) Pearson interviews or hour upon boring hour of tributes to some old fart who died, then we will only beat them further into submission!

Boo-yah, bitch!

Get out of our way or prepare to be run over, dude.

AlamoSpursFan
07-09-2008, 01:05 AM

I think I just figured out who Jimmy Bobby is.

Classic!

mouse
07-09-2008, 01:50 AM
I thought GoGato's was Eric Gray or MomBear from SR. Has anyone met GoGatos?

PeterBurns
07-09-2008, 11:00 AM
This is great. I love how once a month, topic about Sports Talk Stations will come up.
It is always the same 7 people, and the arc of the conversation always is the same.

Taylor Sucks
Taylor Good
Duel Sucks
Duel Good

Local Radio Sucks
National Radio Sucks Worse

The only thing that hasn't been touched upon yet?

"How's that ESPN website coming along"

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Has anyone met GoGatos?

Yep.

BTW, get at Orts, GoGatos.

Taco
07-09-2008, 11:42 AM

:corn:

GoGatos
07-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Yep.

BTW, get at Orts, GoGatos.

Man I got no contact info for him... you got an email or phone for him? Shoot it to me. I talked to T-Summ a couple weeks ago and he gave me Orts' AIM but I'm never on there.

GoGatos
07-09-2008, 11:46 AM

What would reallllly be the icing on the "Local Sports Radio Website Smack Talk" cake is when we roll out the new revamped & redesigned Ticket760.com before ESPN even launches a single page...

Kori Ellis
07-09-2008, 11:55 AM
This thread is funny. Ticket760 has some affiliation with SpursReport, but their people post here. :lol

Anyway, back to talk radio ...

I haven't listened to Mike Taylor since his first couple weeks, but it's good that he's getting ratings. The ratings for that show were so bad for so long.

I like Chris Duel/Jason/Dawn a lot but I haven't listened to their show since Spurs season. No matter how many times I have been on radio in my life, I'm still not a radio person by nature so I never get in the habit of listening regularly.

I'm sure both shows have their merits and the best thing for San Antonio is that they both keep improving.

Taco
07-09-2008, 12:56 PM

WHERE CAN WE SEE THESE RATINGS ONLINE?

GoGatos
07-09-2008, 12:59 PM
This thread is funny. Ticket760 has some affiliation with SpursReport, but their people post here. :lol

I'd post on any thread that talks about our show, regardless of what website it's on. If SpursReport started a thread about the best local sports radio shows I'd post on it as well.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2008, 01:05 PM
WHERE CAN WE SEE THESE RATINGS ONLINE?

I don't think you can see them online.

DizzG.
07-09-2008, 01:16 PM
I'd post on any thread that talks about our show, regardless of what website it's on. If SpursReport started a thread about the best local sports radio shows I'd post on it as well.

You will never get to prove it since a topic like this would have been deleted by now. Just the other day someone made a topic about the new logos (WOAI and TIcket76) at SR now the topic is mysteriously gone. :lol

BTW go make a topic about ESPN ,Chris Duel, or **** (Kori) and see for your self.

2centsworth
07-09-2008, 01:17 PM

Is your intention to piss everyone off by being an arrogant prick?

I am Tom
07-09-2008, 01:23 PM

To bad your posting limitations keep you from talking about Politics,religion, and music it must suck to have a one track mind.

I am Tom
07-09-2008, 01:26 PM

The guy is from the Ticket76 its part of his job description.

Dude
07-09-2008, 01:43 PM
What I love about Radio people (this is not directed at GoGatos or anyone else who may be offended so relax and let me make my point) is that they bullshit the listeners so much they begin to believe there own bullshit.

For example they always say they never have time to post in forums but they are in front of a laptop 24/7. And it's obvious they lurk 24/7 because as soon as you mention them or their station they respond.

I remember Tony Bruno telling the listeners (who keep begging him to visit his site) he has no idea there is a Tony Bruno forum at FOX and he has no knowledge about computers and wouldn't know how to log on bla bla bla... he said he doesn't read his emails and is never around a computer long enough to learn. And yet when Peter and Stacie was in the Tony Bruno fox studio they hosted the pictures online and it showed Tony and Andrew had laptops right in front of them.

Why would Tony Bruno have a notebook in front of him if he has no idea how to turn it on? I love when they say I just looked up the stats on MJ and ....they forget they told the listeners 5 minutes earlier they have no idea how to surf the web. :lol

I like when Dawn and Chris Duel say they are to busy to post here at Spurs Talk but they created a MySpace page for ESPN?
Where do they find the time to read or reply to a MySpace site? Not to mention Chris Duel and Dawn both have their own MySpace pages.

'oops'.......now I went and did it!

Chris and Dawn only have two choices, to either read but not reply to this post to prove they don't have time to lurk, or they can reply and prove my point they are always on line. :lmao

GoGatos
07-09-2008, 02:40 PM

Sorry if that came across as arrogant...it wasnt intended that way. I was just saying that the website didn't matter if there's a discussion about local sports show in SA.

Kori Ellis
07-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Sorry if that came across as arrogant...it wasnt intended that way. I was just saying that the website didn't matter if there's a discussion about local sports show in SA.

I knew what you meant :)

It's good that you comment when people are talking about the show/station.

Dude
07-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Sorry if that came across as arrogant...it wasnt intended that way.

Thanks for ruing your asshat street creds! :bang

dawn
07-09-2008, 03:46 PM
What I love about Radio people (this is not directed at GoGatos or anyone else who may be offended so relax and let me make my point) is that they bullshit the listeners so much they begin to believe there own bullshit.

For example they always say they never have time to post in forums but they are in front of a laptop 24/7. And it's obvious they lurk 24/7 because as soon as you mention them or their station they respond.

I remember Tony Bruno telling the listeners (who keep begging him to visit his site) he has no idea there is a Tony Bruno forum at FOX and he has no knowledge about computers and wouldn't know how to log on bla bla bla... he said he doesn't read his emails and is never around a computer long enough to learn. And yet when Peter and Stacie was in the Tony Bruno fox studio they hosted the pictures online and it showed Tony and Andrew had laptops right in front of them.

Why would Tony Bruno have a notebook in front of him if he has no idea how to turn it on? I love when they say I just looked up the stats on MJ and ....they forget they told the listeners 5 minutes earlier they have no idea how to surf the web. :lol

I like when Dawn and Chris Duel say they are to busy to post here at Spurs Talk but they created a MySpace page for ESPN?
Where do they find the time to read or reply to a MySpace site? Not to mention Chris Duel and Dawn both have their own MySpace pages.

'oops'.......now I went and did it!

Chris and Dawn only have two choices, to either read but not reply to this post to prove they don't have time to lurk, or they can reply and prove my point they are always on line. :lmao

WOW... you got me...

am confused though...

So the fact that part of the job is to SURF the internet to find stories means that EVERY PAGE I get on in every message board or topic that allows comments in I am supposed to comment in?

I read A LOT of stuff from ALL over and yes I am on the computer each day, hardly 24/7 though... I do have a myspace page, but do not respond daily, in fact, I am very bad about responding to everything, and then having the work email and then the personal one... it gets busy...

But, do you post in every topic? Are you drawn into every post that is put in here and compelled to respond? Just curious. I like to lurk... you guys are entertaining, some more than others... I also always dig how big peoples balls are behind a computer and keyboard...

anyway...WHAT THE HECK WAS YOUR POINT? Did I miss something somewhere? :p:

Dude
07-09-2008, 03:54 PM
WOW... you got me...WHAT THE HECK WAS YOUR POINT? Did I miss something somewhere? :p:

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/ART/ART182/hook-line-sinker_~OBJ018.jpg

:lmao

johnsmith
07-09-2008, 04:04 PM
I also always dig how big peoples balls are behind a computer and keyboard...

I know there is a joke here about you being a man, but I just can't decide which one to use.

Howard K Stern
07-09-2008, 04:18 PM
I also always dig how big peoples balls are behind a computer and keyboard...

Kind of like Alamo Spurs fan always talking about taking you to the back of his 18 wheeler and waxing your ass on a case of Lay's potato chips, when in fact if you was to really call him or email him he would curl up in a ball under his desk thinking of a happy place. Those kind of behind the keyboard balls?

GoGatos
07-11-2008, 12:03 PM
For those who asked for a link to ratings, I've got something for you. It's not the complete ratings for this market, but it's an article about the ratings of all-sports radio stations. It examines which stations have made the biggest improvement in ratings and other categories like AQH (Average Quarter-Hour ratings)...

So for those who asked for hard evidence and numbers about the Ticket's improvement, here you go.

All-Sports Radio Stations Have No Off-Season (http://insideradio.com/goout.asp?u=http://ftp.media.radcity.net/ZMST/daily/ISJUL102008/ISJUL102008.pdf)

To summarize for those who don't want to read the entire thing...

Of the top 30 markets in the country (SA is the #30 radio market), only two stations saw a bigger increase in 12+ ratings from Winter of 2007 to Winter of 2008 than Ticket760 did. One is the legendary WEEI in Boston and the other was KLAC in Los Angeles. Of every single sports station that Clear Channel owns, only KLAC had a bigger increase, and it was only by a tenth of a ratings point.

Now, keep in mind that sports stations are geared to target males aged 25-54. The ratings in this article are 12+ (all persons age 12 and older), which is not the ratings sports stations really care about. To pull anything over a 2.0 in 12+ ratings as a sports station is considered to be pretty damn good. WEEI somehow managed to pull a 5.3 in 12+ which is nothing short of rediculous. WEEI's numbers would be comparable to what WOAI pulls 12+ here in SA, to put it in perspective.

Big Worm
07-11-2008, 12:09 PM
GoGatos is my Nigra!

Thanks for da link pat-na! :tu

David Oliver
07-11-2008, 02:30 PM
For those who asked for a link to ratings, I've got something for you. It's not the complete ratings for this market, but it's an article about the ratings of all-sports radio stations. It examines which stations have made the biggest improvement in ratings and other categories like AQH (Average Quarter-Hour ratings)...

So for those who asked for hard evidence and numbers about the Ticket's improvement, here you go.

All-Sports Radio Stations Have No Off-Season (http://insideradio.com/goout.asp?u=http://ftp.media.radcity.net/ZMST/daily/ISJUL102008/ISJUL102008.pdf)

To summarize for those who don't want to read the entire thing...

Of the top 30 markets in the country (SA is the #30 radio market), only two stations saw a bigger increase in 12+ ratings from Winter of 2007 to Winter of 2008 than Ticket760 did. One is the legendary WEEI in Boston and the other was KLAC in Los Angeles. Of every single sports station that Clear Channel owns, only KLAC had a bigger increase, and it was only by a tenth of a ratings point.

Now, keep in mind that sports stations are geared to target males aged 25-54. The ratings in this article are 12+ (all persons age 12 and older), which is not the ratings sports stations really care about. To pull anything over a 2.0 in 12+ ratings as a sports station is considered to be pretty damn good. WEEI somehow managed to pull a 5.3 in 12+ which is nothing short of rediculous. WEEI's numbers would be comparable to what WOAI pulls 12+ here in SA, to put it in perspective.

That's interesting spin, GoGatos. They say ratings numbers can be spun to benefit whoever is trying to keep their job.

Here are the official latest numbers I just pulled from Arbitron on Ticket 760...

#30 San Antonio, TX
Updated 7/8/2008
Spring '08 ARBITRENDS (March, April, May)
Pop: 1,626,500
Black: 99,700 (6%) Hispanic: 825,400 (51%) Asian: 0 (0%)
Station Format Owner Spr 07 Sum 07 Fall 07 Win 08 F/M/A 08 M/A/M 08
KTKR-AM Sports Clear Channel 0.9 0.9 1.5 1.3 1.2 1.1
© 2008 Arbitron

From Fall of last year, looks like Ticket 760 fell from a 1.5 to a 1.1.

Fall '07 - 1.5

Winter '08 - 1.3

Feb/Mar/Apr - 1.2

Mar/Apr/May - 1.1

I think that's what Arbitron calls a "trend."

Kudos to you for turning this "hard evidence" into one of the "best sports talk stations in the country."

:lmao :lol :rollin

GoGatos
07-11-2008, 04:01 PM

Fall '07 - 1.5

Winter '08 - 1.3

Feb/Mar/Apr - 1.2

Mar/Apr/May - 1.1

You are correct... it is what Arbitron calls a trend. However, if you pulled the ratings for from every book for the past 5 years you'll notice that fall is always the highest. Always. Followed by Winter. Even in this town where Spurs are king, ratings during Spurs season don't ever compare to to football season. That pattern you layed out ius the patter that this station has always followed.

PeterBurns
07-11-2008, 04:24 PM
That's interesting spin, GoGatos. They say ratings numbers can be spun to benefit whoever is trying to keep their job.

Here are the official latest numbers I just pulled from Arbitron on Ticket 760...

Fall '07 - 1.5

Winter '08 - 1.3

Feb/Mar/Apr - 1.2

Mar/Apr/May - 1.1

Kudos to you for turning this "hard evidence" into one of the "best sports talk stations in the country."

Well, that's a way of looking at it, but truly doesn't compare apples to apples.

In the Sports Radio Ratings, world, the books are very timely. Obviously, with Football season being "king" in South Texas. Fall Books traditionally are stronger than other books. Because they encompass football season. (A&M UT, Cowboys...etc)

The true test is looking at the same book from year to year. Because then you are comparing Football Season to Football Season, or Basketball to Basketball.

So you are incorrect. The station is growing.

Last year at this time, we were at a .9, and with the 2 trends, of 1.2 and 1.1 means that we will probably come in at a 1.1 or 1.2. for the same book +1 year.

Which means about a 19%-20% increase.

That's a more accurate way to view it. IMHO.

Again, Technically you are right about not having as many people as last football season, but I think everyone can agree that sports tend to be compelling to watch/listen during football season as opposed to right now.

Tike Mailer
07-11-2008, 09:19 PM

Fall '07 - 1.5

Winter '08 - 1.3

Feb/Mar/Apr - 1.2

Mar/Apr/May - 1.1

Who gives a crap about the numbers?

Duel Sucks

Taylor Rocks

Nuff said.

2centsworth
07-11-2008, 09:39 PM
wow, our media market is that pathetic, 30 out of 30? No wonder the spurs have to give away talent in return for nothing.

GoGatos
07-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Well, I just counted the top 30 since we came at the end. I tend to compare ourselves to the markets ahead of us, rather than behind us. They listed many more than just 30 markets. Austin, for example, made the list and they are #42. But yeah, a city this large should not be 30th when it comes to media market.

mouse
07-12-2008, 03:18 PM
I have never been a stats kinda guy so all these numbers may as well be GED material and way over my head, but I can say after the last 4 months I am certain that Peter Burns and Jim Bob aka GoGatos seem to be way to talented to be stuck in a small market like San Antonio I hope one day they hit it big in a lager market! :tu

AlamoSpursFan
07-12-2008, 03:52 PM
I have never been a stats kinda guy so all these numbers may as well be GED material and way over my head, but I can say after the last 4 months I am certain that Peter Burns and Jim Bob aka GoGatos seem to be way to talented to be stuck in a small market like San Antonio I hope one day they hit it big in a lager market! :tu

You forgot your phone number, Mouse...

mouse
07-12-2008, 04:47 PM

Hey GoGatos I have a question, do you only like Sports radio or can you do like a PMSA style radio? I think Chris Duel would rock if he had a show about whatever is in the new. His PMSA show was shred the mic with Charlie Parker and Chris Duel never seem to be at 100% of his talent always at 75%. If you know Charlie Parker you know he likes to be 150%.

the agent
07-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Peter Burns and Jim Bob aka GoGatos seem to be way to talented to be stuck in a small market like San Antonio I hope one day they hit it big in a lager market! :tu

You guys need to call me......

GoGatos
07-14-2008, 12:13 PM

Hey GoGatos I have a question, do you only like Sports radio or can you do like a PMSA style radio? I think Chris Duel would rock if he had a show about whatever is in the new. His PMSA show was shred the mic with Charlie Parker and Chris Duel never seem to be at 100% of his talent always at 75%. If you know Charlie Parker you know he likes to be 150%.

I'll be honest, I probably couldn't do a PMSA style show. I don't really follow politics or the type of topics that would interest the audience for PM drive shows KTSA and WOAI. I do "guy-talk", which doesn't really translate well to a station that's trying to bring in the type of audience that WOAI or KTSA are looking for. In fact, I'm probably not a great fit for any station in this market other than the two sports stations, KZEP or KISS. And even then, KZEP is an older audience and probably wouldn't relate to a 24-yr-old.

I have heard Duel do his thing on KTSA and agree that a show with no boundaries in terms of topics is right up his wheelhouse. I imagine there are times when it kills him not to be able to talk about things like Jesse Jackson wanting to cut Obama's nuts off because he has to talk sports. What's funny about Parker... that dude is a "man's man" and can do "guy-talk" with the best of them. But for whatever reason, Parker can bring in the female audience as well. Parker succeeds because there is no gray area with him. You either like him or you hate him - no in-between. Indifference is the enemy to a radio host. And yes, that dude likes to be at 150%. I'll be lucky if my career in radio lasts half as long as his has cause I'm a lazy bastard by nature.

2centsworth
07-14-2008, 12:16 PM
I imagine there are times when it kills him not to be able to talk about things like Jesse Jackson wanting to cut Obama's nuts off because he has to talk sports.

Duel does it anyway. There's not much difference between his KTSA show and his new show. I wonder if he'll try anything different for the New Braufels show?:lmao

N.Y. Johnny
07-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Colin Cowheard sucks = bad radio.

...oh wait

PhotoShop
07-14-2008, 03:18 PM
I'll be honest, I probably couldn't do a PMSA style show. I don't really follow politics or the type of topics that would interest the audience for PM drive shows KTSA and WOAI. I do "guy-talk", which doesn't really translate well to a station that's trying to bring in the type of audience that WOAI or KTSA are looking for. In fact, I'm probably not a great fit for any station in this market other than the two sports stations, KZEP or KISS. And even then, KZEP is an older audience and probably wouldn't relate to a 24-yr-old.

I have heard Duel do his thing on KTSA and agree that a show with no boundaries in terms of topics is right up his wheelhouse. I imagine there are times when it kills him not to be able to talk about things like Jesse Jackson wanting to cut Obama's nuts off because he has to talk sports. What's funny about Parker... that dude is a "man's man" and can do "guy-talk" with the best of them. But for whatever reason, Parker can bring in the female audience as well. Parker succeeds because there is no gray area with him. You either like him or you hate him - no in-between. Indifference is the enemy to a radio host. And yes, that dude likes to be at 150%. I'll be lucky if my career in radio lasts half as long as his has cause I'm a lazy bastard by nature.

Hey GoGatos if Mike Taylor is sick or out of town do you get to fill in? And if not, how come?

Chris Duel
07-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Duel does it anyway. There's not much difference between his KTSA show and his new show. I wonder if he'll try anything different for the New Braufels show?:lmao

Actually, given the heavy German population in New Braunfels, I plan to do a lot of Ayrian Lifestyle issues when I'm on-air there.

Also, I'm thinking about bringing back Chuck Booms, since the New Braunfels market will be a step up from his Mom's basement in Cleveland.

Plus, since I'll finally be rid of Minnix, I'll be going to Manilow, Abba and Josh Groban for the bumper music.

My posse will include Mouse, Nakomis (from Big Brother fame), DizzG (from Spurs Report) and Kinky Friedman.

We'll be broadcasting live from Wurstfest every single night!

:toast :downspin:

Evan
07-14-2008, 10:00 PM
again

http://theticket.com/listen.htm

of course more than half the damn station is on vacation before the entire crew heads to Cowboys training camp next week.

Rack The Trolls!
07-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Duel n Mouse m-f week days 6AM-9AM on KISS! :tu

AlamoSpursFan
07-15-2008, 08:58 AM
My posse will include Mouse, Nakomis (from Big Brother fame), DizzG (from Spurs Report) and Kinky Friedman.

If you don't have the lovely and talented Dawn Murphy, I ain't listenin'!!!

07-15-2008, 09:20 AM
Also, I'm thinking about bringing back Chuck Booms, since the New Braunfels market will be a step up from his Mom's basement in Cleveland.

Heard Booms last night on JT's show while I was coming back from Corpus.

Dude did not sound good.

GoGatos
07-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Somehow I completely missed this article when it first came out, but since it's relevant to the topic...

What to Watch: KZDC-AM 1250 drops the ball on live sports (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA.052408.WEB.WhattoWatch.en.21fe8d3d.html)

Web Posted: 05/23/2008 09:02 PM CDT

Jerry Garcia
San Antonio Express-News

What makes ESPN the WorldWide Leader in sports television, besides having the rights to just about any sporting event possible, is their always solid production of live events and the sheer amount of coverage that’s produced.

So, how is it that when those same events are broadcast by ESPN Radio (“The Zone”) they can’t be heard on local affiliate KZDC-AM 1250.

When the station debuted in February, primarily broadcasting the national lineup of shows ESPN Radio carries, commercials would trumpet the NBA on ESPN Radio lineup of games mainly heard on Sunday afternoons couldn’t be heard until a month later when technical difficulties were fixed.

In early May ESPN Radio carried the Kentucky Derby but KZDC carried its’ weekend “The Huddle” call-in show instead. National radio broadcasts of both NBA conference finals belong to ESPN Radio. Due to territorial restrictions KZDC can't air the Spurs-Lakers series (WOAI-AM 1200 has them) but are allowed to broadcast the Eastern series with Boston-Detroit.

Guess what? Local listeners who tune in have heard ESPN Radio’s “The Pulse” — another studio call-in show with live updates — instead of Games 1 and 2 this week with no word from the station about its plans to carry Games 3 and 4.

ESPN Radio will also produce the NBA Finals national radio broadcasts but if the Spurs advance their local broadcast will pre-empt KZDC’s coverage.

Any listener complaints are unknown since the station’s website, which listeners could post complaints to, may not be operational until sometime in June. Plus, no complaints about lack of coverage have crossed this column’s e-mail box or phone making one wonder if anybody is listening.

What may be worse for KZDC is that its corporate office may not know they exist. Go the ESPN Radio’s web site for the list of affiliates and San Antonio’s station isn’t listed. Actually, one station is listed — former affiliate KTKR-AM 760.

Even though it’s a full-time Fox Sports Radio affiliate, before KZDC began, KTKR was allowed to pick and choose ESPN Radio programming (like the Kentucky Derby, NBA playoffs and Sunday night Major League baseball) and is still listed as the station to listen to if you want to hear another call-in/update show “GameNight.”

Not only is KZDC unrecognized by the national website, this column has also learned that staffers for “The Herd with Colin Cowherd” seeking information kept calling KTKR recently because they though it was still San Antonio’s affiliate.

Already stocked with live events that include Texas Longhorns basketball, San Antonio Rampage hockey, San Antonio Silver Stars basketball and Houston Astros baseball, KTKR beefed up their live sports coverage with a package of NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races to its’ lineup — including this weekend’s Coca-Cola 600. This fall, KTKR will drop Houston Texans football so they can broadcast four NFL games every week (a triple-header on Sundays and the Monday night game).

While KTKR stocked up on live sports and added “The Sports Grind” with Calvin Casey from 6-7 p.m. weeknights since KZDC opened shop, The Zone stocked up on local programming with 35 hours of locally-produced weekday radio (Paul Alexander’s “Bringin’ It” from 11 a.m.-1 p.m., The Thompson Brothers from 3-5 p.m. and Chris Duel-Jason Minnix-Dawn Murphy trio from 5-8 p.m.) that trumps KTKR’s 15-to-20 locally produced weekday hours. Quantity doesn’t dictate quality but that’s for the listener to decide.

Taco
07-15-2008, 10:27 AM
/\
/\
/\
/\
:wakeup
:corn:

07-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Somehow I completely missed this article when it first came out, but since it's relevant to the topic...

Web Posted: 05/23/2008 09:02 PM CDT

Jerry Garcia
San Antonio Express-News

What may be worse for KZDC is that its corporate office may not know they exist. Go the ESPN Radio’s web site for the list of affiliates and San Antonio’s station isn’t listed. Actually, one station is listed — former affiliate KTKR-AM 760.

And the affiliate list still shows 760 today.

Duel, what's up with that?

Kahn Souphanousinphone
07-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Not only is KZDC unrecognized by the national website, this column has also learned that staffers for “The Herd with Colin Cowherd” seeking information kept calling KTKR recently because they though it was still San Antonio’s affiliate.

While KTKR stocked up on live sports and added “The Sports Grind” with Calvin Casey from 6-7 p.m. weeknights since KZDC opened shop, The Zone stocked up on local programming with 35 hours of locally-produced weekday radio (Paul Alexander’s “Bringin’ It” from 11 a.m.-1 p.m., The Thompson Brothers from 3-5 p.m. and Chris Duel-Jason Minnix-Dawn Murphy trio from 5-8 p.m.) that trumps KTKR’s 15-to-20 locally produced weekday hours. Quantity doesn’t dictate quality but that’s for the listener to decide.

Oh you stupid rednecks just got doggie slapped! :lol

ESPN Radio Affiliates for TX
Location Station Shows Carried
SAN ANTONIO, TX KTKR-AM 760 GN

http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/affiliate?query=tx

Tree hugger
07-15-2008, 05:31 PM
And I thought only the DELL support site was fucked up. :lol

Taco
07-16-2008, 07:40 AM
http://www.wiqr.net/ONNN_files/tony_bruno-rdo.gif

HEY TONY BRUNO FANS!!!!

TONY WILL BE SUB HOSTING FOR DAN PATRICK THE REST OF THE WEEK

degenerate_gambler
07-16-2008, 11:10 AM
http://www.wiqr.net/ONNN_files/tony_bruno-rdo.gif

HEY TONY BRUNO FANS!!!!

TONY WILL BE SUB HOSTING FOR DAN PATRICK THE REST OF THE WEEK

heard him this morning...i miss that dude

the agent
07-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Why did they get rid of him in the first place?

degenerate_gambler
07-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Why did they get rid of him in the first place?

i think he got canned by FSR 3-4 years ago..

Lance
07-16-2008, 01:59 PM
i think he got canned by FSR 3-4 years ago..
Why did he get canned?

Taco
07-16-2008, 02:05 PM
heard him this morning...i miss that dude

Tony Bruno King of the Drops !!! :lol

Taco
07-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Why did he get canned?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bruno

Bruno would eventually be unable to come to a contract renewal agreement with Fox. He left radio for 7 months to tour the world and entertain offers

Captain Koons
07-16-2008, 02:10 PM
That caller Mickey was the king of sound effects!

degenerate_gambler
07-16-2008, 02:17 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bruno

Bruno would eventually be unable to come to a contract renewal agreement with Fox. He left radio for 7 months to tour the world and entertain offers

fucker is the Larry Brown of sports talk radio..

Captain Koons
07-16-2008, 02:42 PM
He left radio for 7 months to tour the world and entertain offers

Isn't there a 6 month wait before you can work for someone else when you lose your job in radio?

Taco
07-16-2008, 02:51 PM
fucker is the Larry Brown of sports talk radio..

rr2418
07-16-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm mainly writing this to give attention to Paul Alexander's show in the afternoons. It's a darn good local show. He had great takes on Russ Bookbinder's retirement, had a great interview with one of George Hill's coaches, and just recently had Tommy Nobis on the show. Plus, unlike a lot of local sports talk host, Paul has a grasp of the English Language.

My top three shows are as follows:

1. Taylor's afternoon show. The guy has grown on me because he knows his stuff, but he also lands the best interviews. Listen most days.

2. Paul Alexander's show. I can talk Texas highschool, college, and pro football all day. Mix in a little Spurs and San Antonio Sports and I'm good. Listen most days.

3. Sports Grind. They are different, cool, and have some knowledge. Listen occassionaly.

I think the Mike Taylor show is the best at this time. Him and Jim Bob have me laughing all the time plus they talk about SPORTS. I know he's from Dallas, but he tells it like it is, good or bad. Besides, he's the only one who has pronounced Eduardo Najera's name right, N-A-J-E-R-A not N-A-J-A-R-A.
The next show would be Bringing It w/Paul Alexander. Great show, althought every call seems to be a "great call" or every caller seems to make a "great point" to Paul. Deep into sports, a real spors show.
Chris Duel's show I listen to but what gets me is that Chris, Jason, or Dawn don't let you say what you want to say or ask. I called the other day and I couldn't get my take in b/c they were busy "joking and goofing around". By the time I got my chance I had to rush because they needed to go to a commercial.
The Grind would be the least show I listen to.

Taco
07-30-2008, 12:53 PM
[/SIZE]

http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/affiliate?query=tx

I CLICKED ON THE ABOVE LINK AND IT SAYS.........

"We're surrently updating our affiliate lists. Please check back soon for the most up-to-date information on all our ESPN Radio affiliates."

YES IT SAYS "SURRENTLY" :lol

AlamoSpursFan
07-30-2008, 01:03 PM
I sent them a notice a couple of weeks ago on their "Report a bug" link. Nice to see they're ON IT!!!

Taco
08-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Where are the Thompson Brothers?

I haven't heard them on the air for the past two days.

Were they taking vacation for a couple of days

espn is running national broadcast in their time slot

Taco
08-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Where are the Thompson Brothers?

I haven't heard them on the air for the past two days.

Were they taking vacation for a couple of days

espn is running national broadcast in their time slot

:wakeup

bump

PeterBurns
08-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Not sure.

On another note.
Ratings come out today.
Heard it's interesting stuff.

Taco
08-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Ratings come out today.
Heard it's interesting stuff.

Do Tell !!!:wakeup

pkbpkb81
08-04-2008, 03:45 PM
tell us we need to know how bad dule got beat

PeterBurns
08-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Have to wait until they post officially.

pkbpkb81
08-04-2008, 03:47 PM
and when will that be

PeterBurns
08-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Think later today.
I've only heard rumors.

I won't believe them until I see it with my own eyes.

Taco
08-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Think later today.
I've only heard rumors.

Rumors about the T-Bro's or the Ratings?

pkbpkb81
08-04-2008, 03:55 PM
ratings

pkbpkb81
08-04-2008, 03:56 PM
T-Bro's are in a drag show some where in fl

PeterBurns
08-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Ratings.

pkbpkb81
08-05-2008, 06:55 AM
so any word on the ratings, or when dule well start sending people ugly private messages again

S_A_Longhorn
08-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Think later today.
I've only heard rumors.

So will there be two links: one for the 'official' ratings and one for the Clear Channel preferred 'ratings' ?

GoGatos
08-05-2008, 10:42 AM
It just so happens that the "official" ratings are also the CC preferred ratings this time around. ;)

The 12+ numbers have been released and Ticket went from a 1.3 to a 1.1. But again, 12+ numbers mean diddly to sports stations. Oh, and ESPN didn't even show up in the numbers, meaning their ratings are equal to ZERO.

SAN ANTONIO RATINGS (ALL PERSONS 12+) (http://www.radioandrecords.com/rrratings/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=226&RY=2008&RQ=2&MP=0&OTHER=2&MN=San%20Antonio&MS=TX&MR=30&12P=1626500&UP=8/4/2008&SU=CM&BPER=6.1&HPER=50.5&OPER=&NSD=8/26/2008&CE=0)

I cannot give you numbers for 3-6 because the breakdowns haven't been officially released. (I saw some early numbers but they won't be official probably utnil Thursday I'm guessing, and I can't release the numbers I saw because I'd get in trouble).However, the numbers I looked at show that in men 25-54, STSA is the #1 afternon drive talk show in San Antonio. The only stations that beat Ticket in the target demo are FM stations, and STSA was 6th in the market overall in the afternoon.

Again, this is in men 25-54 only, which is the only demographic that matters to us.

PeterBurns
08-05-2008, 12:49 PM
So will there be two links: one for the 'official' ratings and one for the Clear Channel preferred 'ratings' ?

Let me know what you want to pull up. And when I get a chance I post.
Give me a time frame.

And a demographic. (Men, 25+...or whatever)

I know it was a bloodbath.
Think Georgia Tech - Cumberland Gap College

PeterBurns
08-05-2008, 12:54 PM
For just all listeners. 12+ Men and Women.

AQH (Meaning how many people listening during any given 15 minutes)

AQH
Coach A Vs Rome - (Just comparing same times 11A-1P)

Rome - 6100
Coach A - 100

AQH
Duel Vs Taylor (They only go against each other 1 hour. 5P)

Taylor - 5200
Duel and Jason - 800

PeterBurns
08-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Best way to compare ratings in Sports is not by book to book, but year to year. (because of the sport seasons)
With that said....

Here's a breakdown of Spring 07 Vs Spring 08

AQH
Rome Spring 07 - 4200
Rome Spring 08 - 6100

AQH
Ticket Spring 07 - 3700
Taylor Spring 08 - 5200

Pretty good growth.

Let's break down ESPN - Which last year was Oldies/Classic Tejano

AQH (11A-1P)
Spring 07 - Oldies Classic/Tejano - 1200
Spring 08 - Bringing It - 100

(5P-8p)
Spring 07 - Oldies Classic/Tejano - 1100
Spring 08 - Duel and Minnix - 300

pkbpkb81
08-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Espn Lost Again Hay Do The Guys Up North Know They Have A Station In Sa

pkbpkb81
08-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Espn Will Suck Un Till They Get Rid Of Clear Channal Left Overs

Evan
08-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Dallas Ticket (the first ticket) KTCK

The Ticket finished No. 1 in Dallas-Fort Worth for their target demographic – men 25-54 – with a 7.6 rating, well ahead of fourth-place rival ESPN Radio and its 4.7. The amazing inside-the-numbers revelation is The Ticket’s 3-7 p.m. Hardline, which continues to rise in popularity despite the loss of one of the show’s main voices.

The Hardline not only rules men 25-54 with a 10.6 (ESPN’s Randy Galloway/Dale Hansen sports a 5.4), but also finished second in the market with all listeners 12 and up. Apparently, women and children are beginning to stay hard.

“We never put much stock in anything in this business until we see it happen over a period of time,” says Hardline founding father Mike Rhyner. “We're now two books and the vast majority of a third along that road, so we're getting there. We're still standing watch for that comeuppance that so many have assured us will be ours someday and we've got a ways to go. But we just do the show every day and to that, it's great to have all oars in the water and rowing in the same direction again.”

S_A_Longhorn
08-05-2008, 03:10 PM
It just so happens that the "official" ratings are also the CC preferred ratings this time around. ;)

'Nuff said. That's all I ever need to know about CC marketing. :lol

However, the numbers I looked at show that in men 25-54, STSA is the #1 afternon drive talk show in San Antonio. The only stations that beat Ticket in the target demo are FM stations, and STSA was 6th in the market overall in the afternoon.

The one thing I will celebrate along with you regarding the above is that that means fewer people are listening to that ignorant, bias, company-touting, alien Joe Pags. That is the one guy that would make me listen to 'Sports Talk Dallas'. At least 'Sports Talk Dallas' is not as damaging to the country as that propaganda on 1200.

Again, this is in men 25-54 only, which is the only demographic that matters to us.

Good to know, I'll be sure to let everyone know.:nope

Evan
08-05-2008, 03:20 PM
That is the one guy that would make me listen to Sports Talk Dallas.

Sports Talk Dallas?

AlamoSpursFan
08-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Sports Talk Dallas?

AKA STSA with Mike Taylor or Tike Mailer or whatever the hell his name is.

Taco
08-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Question

Why is Paul Alexander's pet name for his wife "CHAINSAW"? :lol

BTW his show is awsome!!! :tu

Jimmy Bobby
08-20-2008, 01:25 AM
I am so sick of this! ESPN can't even hold our jock! They suck. They have no team affiliation and all of their hosts are faggots! They are idiots and YOU are an idiot if you listen to them.

Taco
08-20-2008, 08:11 AM
I am so sick of this! ESPN can't even hold our jock! They suck. They have no team affiliation and all of their hosts are faggots! They are idiots and YOU are an idiot if you listen to them.

http://www.civilization.ca/hist/verre/images/intr02b.jpg

screamformelongbeach
08-27-2008, 02:54 AM
Is there no one at Ticket 760 who can tell Calvin Casey to back away from the word "basically?" (or as he usually pronounces it, "basally"). I am not exaggerating...I listened to the first 10 minutes of the show today and I think he said the word about 5-6 times, and when I tuned back in to the final 10 minutes, I swear he said it another 8-10 times. You can't even hold a drinking game based on his usage of the word, because everyone would be passed out before the halfway mark of the show.

His other default word/phrase is "my thing is...." or "the thing of it is, for me....." WTF?! Did this guy even get out of the 10th grade?

Meanwhile, Rudy J comes across as being a little more polished but he needs to cut back significantly on the "exactly" usage, as well as his own propensity to drop a "my thing is...." into the discussion. And finally, "the thing of it is, for me," that Salami sounds pretty polished and educated, but he's "basally" irrelevant since the other two "basally" never let him speak.

Mulchie
08-27-2008, 03:46 AM
So basically your saying?

Taco
08-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Is there no one at Ticket 760 who can tell Calvin Casey to back away from the word "basically?" (or as he usually pronounces it, "basally"). I am not exaggerating...I listened to the first 10 minutes of the show today and I think he said the word about 5-6 times, and when I tuned back in to the final 10 minutes, I swear he said it another 8-10 times. You can't even hold a drinking game based on his usage of the word, because everyone would be passed out before the halfway mark of the show.

His other default word/phrase is "my thing is...." or "the thing of it is, for me....." WTF?! Did this guy even get out of the 10th grade?

Meanwhile, Rudy J comes across as being a little more polished but he needs to cut back significantly on the "exactly" usage, as well as his own propensity to drop a "my thing is...." into the discussion. And finally, "the thing of it is, for me," that Salami sounds pretty polished and educated, but he's "basally" irrelevant since the other two "basally" never let him speak.

CALL THE STATION AND AXE HIM TO STOP

screamformelongbeach
08-27-2008, 07:51 PM
CALL THE STATION AND AXE HIM TO STOP

IronMexican
08-27-2008, 07:52 PM
570 KLAC:hat

screamformelongbeach
08-29-2008, 06:54 PM
570 KLAC:hat

Now you're talkin'.......Petros Papadakis!

screamformelongbeach
09-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Why does Ticket 760 management feel the need to jam yet another local show down our throats, especially at the expense of the last hour of Steve Czaban (and the first hour of Dan Patrick)?

Does anyone honestly believe Andy Everett and Peter Burns are more talented on-air personalities than Czaban or Patrick? And does anyone honestly believe that this town needs ANOTHER local sports radio show?