PDA

View Full Version : Krstic: What's his value?

tav1
07-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Krstic and the Nets hope to reach a sign and trade this summer. He's coming off major injury, and I wonder if "the dump payroll to get LeBron in 2010 Nets" would be interested in a one year contract for someone like Finley and a future pick?

This would have advantages for the Nets and Finley. For Fin, it means one last big payday before he retires. For the Nets it means managaing the cap.

Or, even with a gimpy leg, do you think Krstic is out of reach? Out of reach is my assumption, but ya'll might have a better sense of this than me.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 10:01 AM
The min is the full MLE for 5 years, set by Cubes.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Holy crap, if we can get Krstic, I'd be all over that.

tav1
07-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Right, the Diop joke of a contract. I should have thought of that.

Maybe Krstic's people would prefer something short term, 1 or 2 years to reset his prior market value.

tav1
07-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Holy crap, if we can get Krstic, I'd be all over that.

Settle down, we probably can't. I'm simply raising it for what might be a very short discussion.

NicolasBatum
07-03-2008, 12:54 PM
We have the PG : Hill
We have the swing man : Maggette (i hope)
Just need the big... Krstic !

coopdogg3
07-03-2008, 12:57 PM
I'd prefer to just have KT. With Krstic I guess you get youth with potential. But I'd go with the proven vet.

montgod
07-03-2008, 01:04 PM
I'd prefer to just have KT. With Krstic I guess you get youth with potential. But I'd go with the proven vet.

I would think there is a possibility where the Spurs could have both. If Krstic is completely healthy, how about a Bonner and a second round pick for a sign and trade for Kristic? SHould workout fine.

Tully365
07-03-2008, 01:10 PM
It doesn't look possible financially to land Krstic and a swing player (Maggette, Pietrus, Smith) and the only trade piece the Spurs would have is Oberto. Compare the two:

Krstic:
6.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 0.6 apg, 41.0 FG%, 18 mpg

Oberto:
4.8 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 1.2 apg, 60.8 FG%, 20.1 mpg

coopdogg3
07-03-2008, 01:10 PM
I would think there is a possibility where the Spurs could have both. If Krstic is completely healthy, how about a Bonner and a second round pick for a sign and trade for Kristic? SHould workout fine.

I guess New Jersey might like Bonner's contract. In 2 years he's gone, and 2010 remains intact for them. Oberto, Duncan, Mahinmi, KT, and Krstic. 96 minutes total between PF/C. Not a lot of minutes to spare. Guess if there's an injury there would be a chance to play them all.

timvp
07-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Krstic a couple years ago was one of the best young bigs in the NBA. Then he tore his ACL and was horrible last year. He'd be a risk to sign because he was so bad last year but if he can recover to his old form, people could look back on this summer and wonder why more teams weren't fighting over him.

Not only did the Spurs tried to hide him in Europe to draft him, Pop raved about him all the time after the draft. He called him Divac with athletcism at one point.

All that said, it just doesn't seem possible to get him. The Spurs need their MLE for a swingman. Their only real sign and trade option is Bonner, but I doubt the Nets would be interested in him.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 01:25 PM
All that said, it just doesn't seem possible to get him. The Spurs need their MLE for a swingman. Their only real sign and trade option is Bonner, but I doubt the Nets would be interested in him.

Well, his contract ends in the summer of LeBron. But yeah, no dice.

timvp
07-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Well, his contract ends in the summer of LeBron. But yeah, no dice.The only hope would likely be something like Bonner and two second rounders in 2009 (GS and Hou) for Krstic. The trouble is Krstic wants a longterm contract and I don't think that fits the Spurs' plans.

T Park
07-03-2008, 01:32 PM
I think that ACL injury took away what little athleticism he had.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 01:33 PM
The only hope would likely be something like Bonner and two second rounders in 2009 (GS and Hou) for Krstic. The trouble is Krstic wants a longterm contract and I don't think that fits the Spurs' plans.

Right. The Spurs are likely selling Maggette on the fact that they will have the cap flexibility in 2010 to give him the large contract he seeks via re-signing or via a sign and trade. Agreeing to long term contracts with other players might put that into question.

tav1
07-03-2008, 01:55 PM
The only hope would likely be something like Bonner and two second rounders in 2009 (GS and Hou) for Krstic. The trouble is Krstic wants a longterm contract and I don't think that fits the Spurs' plans.

Maybe. I think there is chance he could take an MLE type deal for one year in hopes of resetting his value. I wouldn't pay him that, mind you. But he and is agent might consider that sort of contract, and then try for a bigger score next summer.

I'm not sure there is any market on Krstic because he didn't look good coming back from injury. If Thorn does trade, he'll be thankful to get a late first round draft pick or a short term servicable vet in return. That's probably what Thiorn is looking for.

I would take him for Bonner and a pair of twos on a two year deal making what Bonner is now. There is a chance he is finished, so that would be a generous offer so far as I'm concerned.

angelbelow
07-03-2008, 02:07 PM
i would prefer KT AND kristic =)

coopdogg3
07-03-2008, 02:18 PM

Well IF the Spurs sign Maggette, screw whatever 2010 plan there is. If we get Maggette, the Spurs might be willing to throw a longer term deal at Krstic. I just don't think it's in Krstic's best interest to have a longer term deal. No one is gonna throw a lot of money at him, until he's proven his knee is fine. He should sign a 2/3 year deal, get in shape, show he has recovered, and then go in for the big payday.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Well IF the Spurs sign Maggette, screw whatever 2010 plan there is. If we get Maggette, the Spurs might be willing to throw a longer term deal at Krstic. I just don't think it's in Krstic's best interest to have a longer term deal. No one is gonna throw a lot of money at him, until he's proven his knee is fine. He should sign a 2/3 year deal, get in shape, show he has recovered, and then go in for the big payday.

No, the 2010 plan would still be in effect. That's a key part of their pitch to Maggette.

coopdogg3
07-03-2008, 02:22 PM
No, the 2010 plan would still be in effect. That's a key part of their pitch to Maggette.

I doubt it. Maggette would be the 2010 plan.

angelbelow
07-03-2008, 02:27 PM
does bonners contract expire in 2010? maybe we could package him with cash and or draft picks for krstic

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2008, 03:25 PM

You need to spend some more time in the Maggette thread.

Spurtacus
07-03-2008, 03:25 PM
We need to concentrate on a swingman with the MLE. If we resign Thomas and bring in Mahinmi, we should be fine at the bigs. I'd still wouldn't mind having Horry (Bonner has to go) but he would be buried on the depth chart.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2008, 03:36 PM

Well, yeah. The Spurs would need some cap flexibility to be able to re-sign him then.

picnroll
07-03-2008, 03:45 PM

Krstic would be a FOOL to take a long term contract now with his value so low. He needs to rebuild his confidence and his value in a short term deal.