PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith Impressed by 76ers

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-03-2008, 10:07 AM
http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/hawks/stories/2008/07/02/joshsmith_0703.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21

Hawks' Smith 'impressed' by visit with Sixers
Philly going after both of Atlanta's free-agent Joshes
By SEKOU SMITH
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/02/08

The Philadelphia 76ers rolled out the red carpet for Hawks forward Josh Smith on Wednesday, complete with limousine rides, a guided tour of not only their facilities but much of the city of Brotherly Love and a brief meeting with Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter.

"We had a great meeting and a great time visiting with everyone here [Wednesday], and we'll continue to talk tomorrow," Brian Dyke, one of Smith's agents, said late Wednesday night. "What I can tell you is that we're very impressed with 76ers organization and the city of the Philadelphia."

Dyke and Wallace Prather, Smith's other agent, had a lunch meeting with the Hawks on Tuesday afternoon.

Smith's highly anticipated visit to Philadelphia, on the second day NBA free agents could be wooed by other teams, is just the first for the Hawks' two Joshes.

Fellow free agent Josh Childress, whose representatives are scheduled to meet with the Hawks in Washington this week, is expected in Philadelphia for a Monday visit.

His Washington-based agent, Jim Tanner, said the interest in his client has grown steadily since the start of free agency Tuesday.

"We're extremely pleased with the broad and enthusiastic interest in Josh from a number of teams around the league," Tanner said, declining to name any of the teams or the number of teams. "We're in the process of setting up meetings in several places. But I don't think it's any secret that Josh wants to find the best fit, be it in Atlanta or elsewhere."

The 76ers, armed with more than $11 million in available cap space, are making a play for both Joshes. They could force the Hawks to match an offer for one of them, leaving the other vulnerable to their advances.

If the 76ers use the entire $11-plus million on a contract for Smith, factoring in the allowable 8 percent raise from the base-year salary, they could offer him a five-year deal worth about $67 million.

That's $22 million more than the $45 million the Hawks offered — and Smith turned down — in October, when they had a chance to keep both Smith and Childress in Hawks uniforms with five-year extensions.

A front-loaded offer for Smith, similar to the contract the Hawks offered Joe Johnson three years ago in an effort to snatch him from Phoenix, could further complicate matters for the Hawks.

Childress could command a deal starting at the projected mid-level exception salary of about $5.6 million. That would mean over five years the deal would pay him more than $34 million with the maximum allowable pay raise of 8 percent.

Childress finished sixth in the voting for the NBA's Sixth Man Award this season. Much like Smith, who finished sixth in the voting for the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year Award, Childress has a unique blend of skills that are in high demand this summer.

Childress saw his playing time dip this season by seven minutes, from 36.9 to 29.9 a night, and still averaged 11.1 points on 57 percent shooting.

He was one of just six players in the league to average at least 10 points and 4 rebounds while also shooting better than 50 percent (.571) and making 20 or more 3-pointers. Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom, Mike Miller, Grant Hill and Andre Kirilenko were the others.

Tanner said Childress is looking for a fit similar to the one he's had with the Hawks, who selected him with the sixth pick in the 2004 draft.

"He wants to play with other good players in a good situation and he wants to win," Tanner said.

Indazone
07-03-2008, 11:17 AM
The Sixers were just one or two players away from being a serious playoff team. When they won they won big. Their margin of victory was like 5 or 6th in the NBA.

tp2021
07-03-2008, 11:22 AM
If the sixers land smith, that takes another team out of the maggette race; one that could offer more than the mle, at that.

SPURSGOAT
07-03-2008, 11:38 AM
dang if he goes to the 76ers then that really makes it alomst impossible to get Childress if the Maggette offer fails... The Hawks will really be looking to keep Childress if this happens...

Bartleby
07-03-2008, 11:42 AM
dang if he goes to the 76ers then that really makes it alomst impossible to get Childress if the Maggette offer fails... The Hawks will really be looking to keep Childress if this happens...

I doubt the Spurs could land Childress anyway. His skill set makes him too valuable for Atlanta not to match whatever the Spurs could offer. Besides, even if they didn't somebody else (namely the Sixers or Warriors) would probably offer him more than the MLE.

1Parker1
07-03-2008, 12:47 PM
:lmao Our mayor even met with Josh Smith? Doesn't he have anything else to do?

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the Sixers making it to the playoffs last season, I didn't think they would. Not only that, but they put up a great fight against the Pistons and they even won some big games in the regular season against powerhouses like the Spurs and Celtics.

They still need more offensive options, but I definitely like the quick turnaround they've had post-AI. So many people in this city just gave up on them after Iverson was traded, but of course jumped back on the bandwagon once they made the playoffs. I think this version of the Sixers is actually a very entertaining team to watch...even more so than when AI was here. Not only that, but while I don't think they are championship contenders, with the East being as weak as it is, I can definitely see them making some noise and pulling an upset next season if they get the right pieces. I'm not too sure though that Josh Smith is the answer.

dallaskd
07-03-2008, 04:17 PM
lets make it happen!