PDA

View Full Version : Longhorns

TILDEN
07-03-2008, 11:12 AM
how will the longhorns do this year

Kermit
07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Not very well. Kiss that 10 win season streak goodbye.

Ballcox
07-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Wow, big question-and I know if I put up some thoughts I'm going to have to deal with jgw and his incessant rambling about a&m an usc. Oh well, screw'im.

To me, this is one of the most interesting seasons in recent memory for the Longhorns. We have one hell of a tough schedule, 3rd game of the season Arkansas comes into town with 9 starters returning on offense. Last time they were here, we lost and I don't think I'll ever forget all those Arkansas fans making that wierd pig call sound. And the Horns better not get caught up thinking too much about Arkansas playing at UTEP the game before that.

After Arkansas there's the easy game against Rice and then a brutal stretch of games starting at an improving Colorado, the always crucial matchup with dirt burglars, home against a much improved Missouri team, the always unpredictable Ok. State game, on the road to Jones Stadium against what some pre-season mags label a BCS team in Tech, back home to thrash Baylor and then finish the season on the road against a very tough Kansas team and then Thanksgiving night against the ags-all together one of the toughest schedules in recent memory.

As for the Horns and positions, more questions abound. Can Muschamp get the defense playing like they're capable of playing? Can Greg Davis figure out how to build an offense around Colt's strengths instead of staying with the offense that Vince ran? Will Major get a say in gameplanning and helping with QB development (I can dream, can't I?). Can Mack and co. produce another 10 win season (I'll be happy with 9 wins if we beat both oklahoma and a&m).

Now positions, and there are plenty of questions to answer here. Lets start with QB. We all know Colt is back for his 3rd season under center. He should be a more calm and composed QB this season, he was trying to do too much at the beginning of last season and ended up forcing too many balls which ended up as int's. What didn't help him was an OL that was VERY banged up all season long. C. Dockery went down with a knee injury, Ulatoski was never reall healthy, Griffin went down and so did T. Hills-our starting LT. There is a TON of talent on that offensive line, if they can stay healthy and give Colt time, he'll make the reads and throws downfield. It will also open up the play action calls and make running the ball for V. McGee and F. Whitaker much easier.

The other question here is does Chiles get into the game, and more importantly-has he learned to throw the ball in the off-season? No doubt the kid has tremendous athletic talent, and dumbass Greg needs to find ways to get the ball in his hands. Play him at RB, WR, just as long as he gets his hands on the ball. He is a playmaker on offense and needs opportunities.

Now, what will make all the above possible with Colt, the running game and Chiles? The offensive line. I think this is an area (if we stay healthy) that will be very solid this year. C. Hall-mister do everything on the OL probably gets the start at center and has the smarts to make all the necessary calls for blitz pickups and protection schemes. D. Dockery returns at RG fully healthy and should be dominant. RT belongs to Ulatoski and he can be a BEAST when he puts his mind to it. LG and LT are where the battles will be for playing time. At LG the battle will be between C. Tanner, D. Snow, B. Mitchell and M. Huey, maybe fresh M. Buchanon gets in the mix. At LT someone will have to step up, it'll be between T. Allen, K. Hix and A. McGaskey. I'm hoping T. Allen pulls his head out and wins the starting job there, he was a 5 star recruit out of HS and needs to step it up. Again, if these guys are cohesive and stay healthy, they could be dominant.

Who makes plays downfield at the WR and TE spots? Obviously Q. Cosby and J. Shipley are the veterans who should have great seasons catching the ball. Both run good routes and have great hands, Shipley also has that break away speed which could translate into some explosive plays this season. But we need more at the WR/TE position. Young WR's like M. Webber, M. Williams, D. Buckner, D. Hales, B. Collins, B. Fritzhenry, DJ Grant need to step up. At TE the job appears to belong to B. Irby, but he hasn't shown much in Spring practice.

On the defensive side of the ball, biggest questions are at DT and the backfield. Only R. Miller at DT has much experience going into the season. It would be great if A. Jones had decided not to participate in an armed robbery, because we sure could use him in the DT rotation. Someome between B. Alexander, J. Humphrey, K. Randall and M. Wilcoxon will have to step up and show they deserve minutes at DT.

The backfield is another big question mark. Only R. Palmer returns to the unit, and I would think he gets one of the starting DB spots. There is some very good talent back there, and it looks like Curtis Brown, D. Beasley and Chykie Brown would be in the mix for starting DB spots. However, don't count out big time fresh. recruits DJ Monroe and A. Williams making some noise at the position-along with young guy E. Thomas.

Back at safety it's wide open. Early practice reports from Spring indicate that fresh. N. Brewster looks very good back there, along with B. Wells and C. Scott. I. Oduegwu has some experience back there, he can just never stay healthy. So, the talent is there in the backfield, and with D. Akina now moving back to coaching the secondary, a job he has done very well in the past, I think this unit will come together. They can't cover all day, so the DE's and LB's will need to apply pressure-but I also think those two positions are some of the deepest and most talented for the Horns this season.

So, I know I went on too long, but I'm in serious withdrawals from college football and tend to think about the Horns and football season pretty much every day. Hook'em!

Spurtacus
07-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Not very well. Kiss that 10 win season streak goodbye.

Sadly, I feel the same way.

johngateswhiteley
07-03-2008, 03:45 PM
they'll be overrated per usual...but how will their season end up? well, t.u.'s schedule is not that difficult...in fact, it wouldn't even place near the toughest schedules in the nation...don't buy the hype. that said, t.u. goes 8-4.

degenerate_gambler
07-03-2008, 04:14 PM
but I'm in serious withdrawals from college football

ain't that the truth..

10-2; losing to oklahoma and tech. to hell with missouri, they have to come to austin this year.

Ballcox
07-03-2008, 04:17 PM
^Ah, jgw-I was wondering where your homer ass was. Figured a post about UT football would bring you out of the steam room with your other gay friends, welcome back!

As for schedule, I don't see how you can say a schedule which includes Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas Tech, Kansas and a&m is an easy or overrated schedule. But, your also known for making posts with very limited insight which border and often times exceed moronic. It's good to know that some things never change.:lol

RonMexico
07-03-2008, 04:18 PM
I'm going to back jgw on this one. The fact that A&M is on your schedule maybe makes it one of the top 70 toughest in the nation.

Oklahoma, Tech, Mizzou, Petrino... all overrated.

johngateswhiteley
07-03-2008, 04:27 PM
ain't that the truth..

10-2; losing to oklahoma and tech. to hell with missouri, they have to come to austin this year.

t.u. won't lose to A&M?

johngateswhiteley
07-03-2008, 04:29 PM
^Ah, jgw-I was wondering where your homer ass was. Figured a post about UT football would bring you out of the steam room with your other gay friends, welcome back!

As for schedule, I don't see how you can say a schedule which includes Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas Tech, Kansas and a&m is an easy or overrated schedule. But, your also known for making posts with very limited insight which border and often times exceed moronic. It's good to know that some things never change.:lol

arkansas won't be any good this year, missouri won't be as good, kansas won't be as good, and tekk is the most overrated team in the nation...beating out t.u. for annual honors, lol.

degenerate_gambler
07-03-2008, 04:34 PM
t.u. won't lose to A&M?

not this year, in austin, on thanksgiving nite.

Ballcox
07-03-2008, 05:05 PM
^Agree, I think a&m's run of luck against us ends this year-time for things to get back to normal. Which in this case means a&m losing to us on a regular basis.

I HOPE Kansas, Missouri and Tech are over-rated, but they all return a significant number of starters and I'm not willing at this point to overlook them or consider them over-rated.

Whisky Dog
07-06-2008, 11:23 AM
They'll go as the defense and turnover margin go. Simple as that.

mookie2001
07-06-2008, 01:10 PM
quan cosby has to carry the team on his back

tonylongoriafan
07-06-2008, 01:28 PM
a ten win season is not beyond realm of possibility...a&m, mizzou, and ou all have the capability to end the streak. depending on the turn out of the red river game, that missouri game could be huge...the bigger issues i think are 1) keeping colt health 2) who's gonna set themself apart at rb and 3) how the defensive scheme is going to come together, especially the secondary.

i can't wait for the season either...i can't think of anything better than tailgating in austin on a saturday afternoon.

djohn14
07-06-2008, 05:17 PM
arkansas won't be any good this year, missouri won't be as good, kansas won't be as good, and tekk is the most overrated team in the nation...beating out t.u. for annual honors, lol.
Kansas wont....arkansas wont....but Mizzou. Please man I love the longhorns, but Mizzou has the best O in the nation IMO, and the D is something that is underrated. Watch out, and I hope the horns win every other game, but Mizzou is going to make you look foolish.

redraiderinfiji
07-08-2008, 02:00 AM

Yet everyone ELSE knows that all the above teams are better than a&m!

RonMexico
07-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Longhorns a disappointing 7-5

djohn14
07-10-2008, 07:53 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/0708dnspobig12column.3df601e.html

Now this guy knows what he is talking about!

redraiderinfiji
07-10-2008, 10:44 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/0708dnspobig12column.3df601e.html

Now this guy knows what he is talking about!

ONE WORD FOR THIS ARTICLE...........REALITY

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2008, 11:45 PM
I think our defense is going to be 3lit3 this season. Like, really 3lit3.

It's our offense that will be our downfall. We have no real primary receiving threat, a quarterback who has no power and is one hit away from being a washed up bitch for the rest of the season, no proven running back, and a backup quarterback who cannot throw a ball in normal game situations involving college players.
On the bright side, our OL will be really good. But we have a serious lack of skill players on the offensive side.

We will have to be a defensive beast, force alot of turnovers, and keep that streak alive.

BTW, as for that Dallas Morning News article, Chip Brown is a no talent piece of shit, like a skinnier version of that Sooner Jizz Guzzling fat ass Keith Whitmire. His face just oozes fatness and sooner juice.

JBIIRockets
07-13-2008, 04:47 PM
I think the Horns may do better with Major working with Greg Davis.

I just hope their offense is more efficient this it was last season (the first 5 games especially.)

johngateswhiteley
07-14-2008, 06:22 PM
I think our defense is going to be 3lit3 this season. Like, really 3lit3.

speak english you fucking tool.

Malik Rows
07-14-2008, 06:44 PM
The Yosemite Sams won't finish 2nd (or higher) and Okie State will finish 5th.

mookie2001
07-14-2008, 08:09 PM
oh quan, we worship you, we give you thanks, we praise you for your glory

Whisky Dog
07-28-2008, 10:23 AM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/35/359150.jpg