PDA

View Full Version : Amazing 90-foot overtime shot video

Solid D
02-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Did anyone see this on TV? In case you missed it, the vidio link is here.

http://premium.cnn.com/pr/video/meta/sports/2005/02/01/obrien.amazing.shot.affl.np.smil

Courtesy of cnn.com

From way downtown
Player hits 90-foot overtime shot for the win
Posted: Tuesday February 1, 2005 8:43PM; Updated: Tuesday February 1, 2005 8:52PM

For this former quarterback, it took a Hail Mary thrown like a baseball to win the basketball game.

With 0.6 seconds left in overtime, Jordan Snipes of Guilford College rebounded the other team's missed free throw, wheeled around and heaved the ball the full length of the court.

Swish.

For Snipes, the improbable, 90-foot shot for the 91-89 victory over Randolph-Macon on Monday is a memory the former high school quarterback doesn't expect to top.

"I think that'll be my highlight," the sophomore said Tuesday afternoon after the game. "I thought if I went to sleep that it was just going to turn into a dream and when I woke up it'd be over."

Snipes was hoping to grab the rebound and lean quickly against a Yellow Jackets player hoping to draw a "cheap foul," he said. But then he heard the Randolph-Macon coaches tell their players to back away from the line.

"When they did that, I couldn't get near anybody in six-tenths of a second, so I just took the ball and threw it," he said. "I didn't know what else to do."

The shot capped a career-best 34-point night for Snipes, who made 6 of 7 3-point tries.

Tom Palumbo, coach of Greensboro, N.C.-based Guilford, said he was already walking toward Randolph-Macon coach Mike Rhoades to shake hands when the flight of the ball caught their attention.

"I remember thinking it looked like it had a chance and when it went through, it was just crazy," he said. "When the referee came and said it was good, I kind of jumped up and down when I was right next to [Rhoades]," he said. "I told him I was sorry.

"It was hard to control your emotions on a play like that."

Rhoades told Adam Krovic to miss the second free throw on purpose, following the conventional wisdom that six-tenths of a second is not enough time to make a play.

He realized there might be trouble after Snipes released the shot.

"When it got to halfcourt, I said, 'That's going to hit something,"' Rhoades said. "The guy just made an incredible play. That's life."

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-02-2005, 03:54 PM
I just saw on FARK that a local station gave the kid sixteen tries to repeat the feat and he did it again.

Solid D
02-02-2005, 04:00 PM
No joke? Now that is truly amazing.

Useruser666
02-02-2005, 04:07 PM
It was like number 1,3,5,7, and 9 from the Top Ten Plays on Sportscenter.