PDA

View Full Version : Draft Mailbag

SKINNYPIMP210
07-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Question: It seems shooting has been the downfall of the Spurs each time they have failed in the playoffs. Was acquiring good shooters something that you guys wanted to address in the draft?

Dennis Lindsey: We think all of the guys that we drafted are quality shooters. Shooting is always important for people who are trying to enter this league. For us it (having good shooters) allows Tim, Tony, Manu and the rest of the team to play to their fullest potential.

Rob Hennigan: Shooting is something that we’re always looking to add to our team. Our coaches are all under the belief that you can’t have enough shooting so regardless of whether we are trying to acquire a player through the draft, free agency or through a trade shooting is always a high priority.

--------------------------

Question: What does George Hill bring to the team and what are the odds that James Gist can make this team and be a contributor?

Dennis Lindsey: The Spurs’ culture has been talked about over a number of years and George Hill matches how we want our players to represent us both on and off the court. From a playing standpoint, I think the thing that best describes him is that he is a very good all-around player.

When we saw him play at IUPUI we saw some of his defensive capabilities, but the games were more about his tools and quickness. During the Orlando pre-draft camp he showed outstanding agility, body balance, strength, length and just a propensity to want to guard. On the opposite side of the ball his game is very well rounded. He brought a mature skill-set that really was attractive to us.

Regarding Gist, he’s just a terrific athlete whose skills have grown over the last couple of years. His athleticism and length are off the chart.

Rob Hennigan: George Hill brings a host of tools to the club. He’s a guy that we identified early on in the scouting process and really grew to like. He does a little bit of everything. He’s going to bring a defensive mindset, he’s going to bring an unselfish mindset and he’s going to be able to make open jump shots. We felt that his fit on our roster as a person and as a player was something that could really work well going forward.

James Gist is going to have a great chance to make our roster. We wouldn’t have drafted a guy if we weren’t intrigued by his tools and his ability to make plays with his athleticism.

Question: Now that the draft is done, was Nicolas Batum the preferred pick at #26?

Rob Hennigan: Nicolas Batum is a guy that we scouted since he was 18 years old. We’ve seen him play 20 times in international events and he was on our radar just like everyone else was.

Question: Do you think James Gist can play a little small forward?

Dennis Lindsey: We see him as a mobile “4” that can play some small forward. The combination "4" is kind of unique for our program. The great thing about James is his athleticism and he has great lateral quickness to also slide his feet around the perimeter. He has defensive versatility and that was something that really attracted us to him.

Rob Hennigan: That’s kind of the million dollar question is can he make that switch to the perimeter and that small forward position. He played primarily small forward in college and that’s where he was most productive. He’s going to get a chance to experiment with that and try to prove us and the rest of his teammates that he can contribute at that position.

Question: Was Bill Walker ever on your draft board?

Rob Hennigan: Bill Walker is clearly a gifted talent and a guy who will play in the NBA for a long time. He was a consideration, but wasn’t a priority guy on our board.

Question: What’s it like the war room in the first and second round?

Dennis Lindsey: The level of uncertainty in the draft it always high. We have our order on how we selected for us and then you have a market board to try and match who is going to which team. George Felton did a very good job on our market board and sizing up the rest of the league. We felt like there was going to be a good player for us to select from based upon George’s intel.

Question: Most people predicted George Hill to be a second round pick including his school's website. What did the Spurs see in George Hill that they lead them to choose him?

Dennis Lindsey: George Hill is a very accomplished player. He played at a small Division 1 school, but he faced plenty of quality opponents.

One thing that was attractive to R.C. Buford was that his game had a dynamic quality to it in someways, but he could see that his game was also very simple. He wasn't out there trying to do things he couldn't do, he wasn't forcing shot and he wasn't a risky passer.

Rob Hennigan: We felt that George, as a player and as a person, fit our organization as good as anyone. We love the fact that he hangs his hat on defense, he can guard two positions and he can make an open shot. He also brings a set of intangibles to the team that we think our team needs.

Question: How did the scouting process work with George Hill?

Rob Hennigan: It started with his freshmen year. We identified him as a guy to keep following because we were intrigued by his tools. This past year we saw him a couple of times early in the year and then when he got invited to the Orlando pre-draft camp we really made it a priority of ours to really focus on him and dissect his game. He played very well in Orlando and then we had him in for a workout and an interview. Our coaching staff really liked him and thought that he had a chance to contribute right away heading into next season and we decided that he was our guy.

Question: What was the team hoping to accomplish with the second round trade to acquire Malik Hairston?

Rob Hennigan: That was a trade that we thought made sense for both teams. We targeted Malik Hairston as a guy that could have value on our roster and then have a chance to make our team. We felt like that decision was able to get us the player we wanted and also give us an opportunity to get another player next year with a pretty good pick.

Question: What are the plans for the summer league?

Dennis Lindsey: We’re excited about our summer program which is headed up by Dell Demps, who is our Director of Pro Personnel and also the GM for the Austin Toros. We’re trying to integrate all of the Austin Toro programs with our summer league mini-camps. Dell does a great job with that.

Right now our players are coming to summer league training camp on July 10th. They’ll prepare for a couple of days and then play four games in Las Vegas. Then we’ll play another four or five games in Salt Lake City.

We’re really excited about this group. Ian Mahinmi obviously made great strides with the Austin Toros this year when he was First Team All-DLeague. We’re also excited about having three draft picks that can help our summer program and maybe eventually make our roster.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/mailbag_draft_080703.html

anakha
07-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Name: Lon
Question: Now that the draft is done, was Nicolas Batum the preferred pick at #26?

Rob Hennigan: Nicolas Batum is a guy that we scouted since he was 18 years old. We’ve seen him play 20 times in international events and he was on our radar just like everyone else was.

That really settles the issue once and for all. :lol

timvp
07-04-2008, 12:35 AM
Nice find and some interesting stuff in there.

Dennis Lindsey: We think all of the guys that we drafted are quality shooters. Calling Gist a "quality shooter" is a bit of a stretch. Then again, it is Dennis Lindsey were talking about.

Rob Hennigan: James Gist is going to have a great chance to make our roster. Interesting. Pop and RC were much less committal regarding Gist's chances to make the team.

Rob Hennigan: Nicolas Batum is a guy that we scouted since he was 18 years old. We’ve seen him play 20 times in international events and he was on our radar just like everyone else was.WOW. Since he was 18?!?! A whole six months? Impressive. :lol

Gotta love the Spurs scouts bragging about scouting a 19-year-old since he was 18. But yeah, that was a non-answer if I've ever seen one. And I also find it interesting that Dennis "Mole" Lindsey didn't answer that question.

Rob Hennigan: Gist played primarily small forward in college and that’s where he was most productive.Uh, no. Gist played primarily power forward and center in college.

We’re also excited about having three draft picks that can help our summer program and maybe eventually make our roster.That's the first confirmation that all three rookies will play on the summer league team. When Pop was asked the same question, he said "at least one or two of them." Good to know all three will be playing :tu

Blackjack
07-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Much appreciated SKINNYPIMP. :toast

Nice to see an interview that provides some insight into the Spurs F.O.

Rob Hennigan: James Gist is going to have a great chance to make our roster.

That's definitely encouraging. :tu

Bruno
07-04-2008, 02:07 AM
Question: Do you think James Gist can play a little small forward?

Dennis Lindsey: We see him as a mobile “4” that can play some small forward. The combination "4" is kind of unique for our program. The great thing about James is his athleticism and he has great lateral quickness to also slide his feet around the perimeter. He has defensive versatility and that was something that really attracted us to him.

Gist seems destined to guard mobile PFs like Dirk, West or Odom. Spurs have really struggle in the past against this kind of players. He has the size, quickness and athleticism to succeed at doing that.

bigdog
07-04-2008, 02:15 AM
I think Gist could be perfect in a situation guarding Odom.

SenorSpur
07-04-2008, 03:55 AM
That really settles the issue once and for all. :lol

Nice to see my question was published - even though they didn't answer it. CIA - even after the draft! :lol

Good looking out. :toast

mystargtr34
07-04-2008, 04:00 AM
I think Gist could be perfect in a situation guarding Odom.

:lol not sure why i find it funny but you chose to point out Odom over Dirk and West?

SenorSpur
07-04-2008, 04:03 AM
:lol not sure why i find it funny but you chose to point out Odom over Dirk and West?

Gist trying his hand at West, even for a short spell experimenation, is what I had in mind when I found out about his potential defensive prowess.

Mr. Body
07-04-2008, 04:05 AM
More about Gist than Hairston. When asked about the draft in general they mentioned Hill and Gist first.

timvp
07-04-2008, 04:07 AM
When asked about the draft in general they mentioned Hill and Gist first.Where?

stéphane
07-04-2008, 04:19 AM
That's the first confirmation that all three rookies will play on the summer league team. When Pop was asked the same question, he said "at least one or two of them." Good to know all three will be playing :tu

I know I'm french and not so good at english but I thought that Ian was one of the three as he said three spurs picks and not rookies...

SenorSpur
07-04-2008, 05:06 AM
I know I'm french and not so good at english but I thought that Ian was one of the three as he said three spurs picks and not rookies...

Upon re-reading this, I don't believe he was referring to Ian here. He was referring to Hill, Hairston and Gist, who were the three Spurs picks in last week's NBA draft. Pop had previously intimated that perhaps 2 out of the 3 picks would likely be able to contribute. This was the first indication that all 3 were expected to, not only play in the summer league, but perhaps even make a contribution to the roster.

stéphane
07-04-2008, 06:18 AM
Upon re-reading this, I don't believe he was referring to Ian here. He was referring to Hill, Hairston and Gist, who were the three Spurs picks in last week's NBA draft. Pop had previously intimated that perhaps 2 out of the 3 picks would likely be able to contribute. This was the first indication that all 3 were expected to, not only play in the summer league, but perhaps even make a contribution to the roster.

Yup, I see. The "also" in the sentence sounds like it. That's great. We'll be able to see all of them in the summer league.

JPB
07-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Gist seems destined to guard mobile PFs like Dirk, West or Odom. Spurs have really struggle in the past against this kind of players. He has the size, quickness and athleticism to succeed at doing that.

So does Ian.

bpc55
07-04-2008, 07:03 AM
I think most of you guys will be surprised by Gist. I had really hoped that he was on the Spurs radar, and I was amazed when they actually made the selection I wanted, and it was a player from a major American school. I have much more confidence in Gist contributing this year than I do in Ian. To be fair though, I've spent 4 years watching him at UMD, and I've only seen some YouTube clips and D league highlights of Ian.

I really think Gist has some long term potential on this team as a 3 and situational 4. His athleticism, desire, and energy make him a strong defensive player. But his offensive skills will surprise. Every year his range got better. By his senior year, he was fairly consistent from 18' out and his 3 point range had some potential. I'm confident that with a year or 2 with Chip, he'll have that corner 3 down, and FG% around 45%.

So while I'm not positive if they'll start him on the Spurs at the beginning of year due to lack of playing time, I'm hopeful that Pop will bring him up early in the season and try to get him into some rotations. At least experiment with him and see if he can stick with West and Nowitzki.

Bruno
07-04-2008, 07:26 AM
So does Ian.

True. Mahinmi ability to defend this kind of players will be a key of the next season.

TJastal
07-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Almost sounds as if Gist might turn out to be a James Posey type player. Which is good.

urunobili
07-04-2008, 07:48 AM

i think that would be his best chance to make the team... prove that he could be in front of any of those 3... :toast

timvp
07-04-2008, 01:10 PM
True. Mahinmi ability to defend this kind of players will be a key of the next season.Not to bring up Splitter again .... but Splitter is extremely good at defending perimeter players. I've seen Tau put him on three-point shooters. I don't think Mahinmi is quite at Splitter's level it terms of being able to guard the perimeter, but hopefully Mahinmi can at least be better than what we saw from Oberto and Thomas.

JPB
07-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Ian is more mobile and has more hoops than Tiago.

I don't think Tiago could defend perimeter players in NBA. Because of their speed first, and also because the perimeter is further from the paint.

Sway
07-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Rob Hennigan: That’s kind of the million dollar question is can he make that switch to the perimeter and that small forward position. He played primarily small forward in college and that’s where he was most productive. He’s going to get a chance to experiment with that and try to prove us and the rest of his teammates that he can contribute at that position.

Am I the only one concerned with that statement? My knowledge of Gist isnt that great and I even know he played mostly at the 4 in college. I really hope that is a typo and not an indicator of the FO's knowledge of the draft prospects otherwise the Spurs are fucked.

objective
07-04-2008, 05:59 PM
fwiw, Hennigan is one of Presti's Emerson cronies. I'm surprised he's still with the Spurs and not the Sonics.

spurman20
07-04-2008, 06:02 PM
So does Ian.

Ian is really foul prone...and he will struggle away from the basket on D

spurman20
07-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Almost sounds as if Gist might turn out to be a James Posey type player. Which is good.

HE REMINDS ME OF BUCK WILLIAMS!

spurman20
07-04-2008, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=Sway;2644818]Am I the only one concerned with that statement? My knowledge of Gist isnt that great and I even know he played mostly at the 4 in college. I really hope that is a typo and not an indicator of the FO's knowledge of the draft prospects otherwise the Spurs are fucked.[/Q

Your right on the money, he played 3 and 4 at maryland but is projected to be a 3 in the pros....I see him as a combo forward......who could give mins at both...but a running 4 who can take other bigs away from the basket and put the ball on the floor is gonna be his nitch