PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Mr. Cook

texbound
07-04-2008, 12:14 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA.dancook.35e7cb48.html

UPDATE: Local sports icon Dan Cook dies

Web Posted: 07/03/2008 11:43 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Dan Cook, a San Antonio legend whose career as a sports columnist and broadcaster spanned more than a half-century, died Thursday after a long illness. He was 81.

Insightful, humorous, colorful and brutally honest, Cook spent 57 years in the newspaper business — 51 of those at the San Antonio Express-News — interviewing sports’ greatest legends, from Joe Louis and Jack Dempsey to Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Paul “Bear” Bryant and Tom Landry.

Cook joined the Express-News on Aug. 14, 1952, as a copy editor and writer, and became an award-winning columnist and sports editor for the Evening News.

He was executive sports editor of the Express-News from 1960-75, when he became a full-time columnist.

In addition to print journalism, Cook worked as a sportscaster at KENS-TV for 44 years, from 1956-2000. It was there in 1978 that Cook uttered the famous phrase, “The opera ain’t over till the fat lady sings,” which is listed in Bartlett’s “Familiar Quotations.” He later said he first used the phrase in a column about two years before.

More coverage
• Dan Cook, a retrospective

The two jobs helped to create a macho, yet fatherly image that, coupled with his folksy, shoot-from-the-hip style, made him a South Texas institution.

“When they write the final history of San Antonio newspapering, his name will be up at the top,” said Frank A. Bennack Jr., CEO of the Hearst Corp., vice chairman of the board of directors and chairman of the executive committee.

Bennack was editor and publisher of the San Antonio Light from 1967-75, during an era when there were two daily newspapers in town. He said he made frequent efforts to recruit Cook from the Express-News because of the loyal following Cook enjoyed all across South Texas.

“I finally had to buy the (Express-News) to get him,” Bennack quipped. “Readers loved him. Audiences loved him. He was the genuine article.”

Former Express-News editor and publisher Charles Kilpatrick, who knew Cook for more than 50 years, said his good friend exuded authority.

“People believed that if Dan Cook said it, it must be true,” Kilpatrick said. “And he wrote in such a way that everyone understood what he was talking about.”

Cook’s pseudonymous Benjamin P. Broadhind character, a fast-talking, barroom bettor who served as Cook’s alter ego, became a reader favorite. Kilpatrick said Cook made Broadhind so lifelike, many people thought he was a real person.

Cook’s opinions often would get him into trouble. He didn’t always say or write what was politically correct. As a result, especially in his early years at the paper, he often received hate mail accusing him of being a racist.

Kilpatrick said he never tried to censor Cook, who came to represent the voice of the common man and average fan.

And Cook wasn’t afraid to criticize. In a column during Roger Maris’ quest to break Babe Ruth’s home-run record in 1961, he ripped the New York Yankees slugger as “a brooding, immature crybaby who would have been run out of baseball by the sharp-tongued bench jockeys of Ruth’s day.”

Cook had no explanation for his longevity.

“I’ve never figured it out,” he once said. “All I know is I outworked a lot of people. I thought they’d fire me after about three years, and probably should have.”

A book, “The Best of Dan Cook: Collected Columns from 1956 to 1990,” was published in 2001. The first printing of 5,280 copies sold out in less than a month.

Cook’s work habits still are the stuff of legend around the Express-News Sports Department. Former sports editor Barry Robinson, now the newsroom’s director of administration and recruitment, was hired by Cook in July 1969.

Then, Cook was writing six columns a week, delivering two sportscasts a day at KENS-TV (in those days the TV station was owned by the newspaper and KENS stood for Express-News Station) and doing two daily radio commentaries, in addition to his duties as sports editor.

Robinson marveled at Cook’s output, calling it “nearly super human.”

As for Cook’s popularity, Robinson had a simple explanation.

“He was going to be the same around Darrell Royal as he was the beer vendor at the ballpark,” Robinson said, referring to the legendary former football coach of the Texas Longhorns. “Everybody loved Dan.”

Cook had a chance to go to Chicago and be a syndicated columnist, Robinson recalls, but stayed because of the “love affair” he had with the public in San Antonio.

“I think Dan knew it was a special relationship,” Robinson said, “one that could never happen anywhere else.”

The stories about Cook — as well as Cook’s stories — are as legendary as the man himself.

Blackie Sherrod, who retired in 2003 as sports columnist at the Dallas Morning News after 60 years in journalism, was perhaps Cook’s best friend in the business. He and Cook were part of a breed of sportswriter that lived for the big game and big event, then went to their favorite watering hole afterward to relive it all.

They helped to form the “Geezers Club” that met once a year in Dallas and included such newspaper icons as Edwin Pope of the Miami Herald and Furman Bisher of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Sherrod said Cook was always the life of the party and his keen wit never failed to make him laugh.

One of his favorite Cook stories came when the two were covering the Kentucky Derby one year. He said prior to the race, a friend of theirs approached Cook, an avid bettor, and asked him about one of his daughters. She wanted to know where he planned to send her to college.

“It all depends on who wins this race,” Cook said.

Cook is survived by his wife, Katy; daughter Marie Gian and her husband, Mike, of Rockport; son Danny Cook and his wife, Laura, of San Antonio; daughter Alice Ann Ashton and her fiancé, Doug Beauchamp, of San Antonio; and three grandchildren, Brad Bates, Dani Parker and Britney Ashton. Arrangements for public services are pending at Sunset Memorial Funeral Home, 1701 Austin Highway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know it isn't about the Spurs. Please feel free to move it to another location.

duncan228
07-04-2008, 12:18 AM
More conversation, and condolences, here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100546

rayray2k8
07-04-2008, 12:19 AM
My thoughts are with his family for their loss..
San Antonio has lost a great person.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Favorite sports writer/commentator of all time :depressed

T&P.

texbound
07-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Favorite sports writer/commentator of all time :depressed

T&P.

I'm right there with you. Over 13 years away from SA and I still remember his Sportscasts (especially when he wore those polo shirts with the zipper and gigantic shower curtain ring attached) like they were yesterday. My mom would send every Benamin P. Broadhind article he wrote. God speed to you Mr. Cook.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2008, 12:35 AM
I'm right there with you. Over 13 years away from SA and I still remember his Sportscasts (especially when he wore those polo shirts with the zipper and gigantic shower curtain ring attached) like they were yesterday. My mom would send every Benamin P. Broadhind article he wrote. God speed to you Mr. Cook.

:lol
Benamin P. Broadhind

Those were the best, weren't they? :cry

It's kinda funny. I used to look forward to his columns more than anything in the paper. And once I graduated from college and got a job, I forgot all about them. This brings it all back. We'll miss you, Dan.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Definitely a San Antonio de Bexar institution.

remingtonbo2001
07-04-2008, 12:52 AM
May God bless you eternally Mr. Cook.

SpursFanFirst
07-04-2008, 12:55 AM
:( San Antonio has definitely lost a legend.
Thanks for posting that article, texbound

Russ
07-04-2008, 01:02 AM
I seem to recall that Cook's famous quote -- "The opera ain't over till the fat lady sings" -- was made in a column he wrote about the Spurs during the 1979 playoffs.

The Spurs were up on the defending NBA champion Washington Bullets 3-1 in the Esatern Conference Finals. The whole city was ecstatic about the Spurs' soon to be first trip to the NBA Finals.

But Dan warned everyone not to be so hasty and came up with his famous quote in the process.

Then I believe Bullets' coach Dick Motta seized upon the line from Cook's column and it became the rallying cry for his Bullets. The Bullets went on to win three in a row and take the series 4-3. So, unfortuately for the Spurs, Dan was prophetic.

In fact, Motta repeated the phrase so often that many people just assumed that Motta had come up with it, himself. So not only did the Spurs choke away the series, SA's most prominent sportswriter didn't even get credit for what became one of the most heralded expressions in sports.

But I'm not so sure that my memory is correct on all of this, so please feel free to correct. :)

SpursFanFirst
07-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Chris Marrou put together a fantastic tribute!
Here's the link:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/multimedia/KENSVideo/index.html?bclid=1127701735&bctid=1646146999

sammy
07-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Rest in peace Mr. Cook! Our prayers are with you and your family! Man, he was a legend and will be missed!

200 miles
07-04-2008, 01:37 AM
as a 12-year-old becoming a spurs fan in the mid-90s who lived a lot closer to Corpus than SA and reading from the Caller Times for any spurs coverage which only had AP stories, i started getting the pricier SA-EN and saw spurs galore with two columnists, Buck Harvey (mainly Spurs) and the esteemed Dan Cook (San Antonio sports in general)

i was always filled with anticipation before reading Cook's column about what the status of the Spurs was (especially in the injury year of 96-97)

the epitome of great SA sports journalism

Cook will forever be remembered

:depressed

bigfan
07-04-2008, 01:44 AM
I just remember for years when I lived in SA watching the sports and Dan always cutting to a commercial "I'll be right back." He was truly the best I ever saw.

curtismedellin
07-04-2008, 02:03 AM
Dan Cook as a young boy growing up in San Antonio entertained me with his articles and sportscasts. I remember him and Judd Ashmore eternally debating on subjects that would have the censors of today calling for thier resignations. Goofing off during one news cast Dan and Judd switched newscast responsibilites because each thought the other had it easier. HIlarious stuff, that had me as a 9-12 year old boy crying from laughter and tuning in to see what else these guys would do. As I grew up I became a Dan Cook fan because of his resounding honesty, opinions, and sports knowledge. It turns out I learned Dan was a legend in his field, respected by national sports writers across the country, who seemed to have a Dan Cook story at a moments notice. I have missed his articles and his unique writing style that few will ever hope to capture and the personality that never ceased to entertain me and enthrall me as a boy growing up, a young man going to College, or a man trying to raise his family.

You will be missed Mr. Cook
Cheers, have a cold one on me.

Rest in Peace

spurscenter
07-04-2008, 02:04 AM
oh man

rest in peace

wonderful man

angelbelow
07-04-2008, 02:48 AM
Rip..

toosmallshoes
07-04-2008, 04:04 AM
Wow. Goodbye Dan. I feel ashamed that I had forgotten about you for the last few years. But now I'm crying while watching your last sportscast on youtube. You were an inspiration. :toast:toast

Texas_Ranger
07-04-2008, 04:29 AM
R.i.p

Twisted_Dawg
07-04-2008, 05:13 AM
I loved Dan's story about the time he was interviewing that wrestler Fritz Von Erich live on the 10 PM news. This guy's schitck was to act like he was from Germany with accent and all when in reality he was some former football player from North Texas. Anyway, Dan asked him what made him so famous, and Von Erich screamed out with a German accent, "The Iron Claw!" The he slapped his big hand on Dan's forehead and started "applying" The Iron Claw. Dan was standing behind a podium and later said he slugged Von Erich in the balls to escape the Iron Claw. The podium hid the punch.

RIP Dan. We appreciate all those wonderful years of your reporting.

edit: P.S. A few years ago I spoke with Dan in a bank line in Castle Hills. He was all about telling me about this little squirrel he trained in his back yard that would run over to him and take a peanut out of his hand. He was so proud of that squirrel. We talked a bit and be bemoaned the problems of getting older. I told him, "Dan, you know you are old when you out live your dick." He laughed so hard in that bank line I will never forget it.

Twisted_Dawg
07-04-2008, 05:54 AM
Chris Marrou put together a fantastic tribute!
Here's the link:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/multimedia/KENSVideo/index.html?bclid=1127701735&bctid=1646146999

Great piece of work!!!! I love those old clips of Dan from the 1970's with him wearing those polyester leisure suits and those WIDE collars.

xmas1997
07-04-2008, 06:44 AM
I seem to recall that Cook's famous quote -- "The opera ain't over till the fat lady sings" -- was made in a column he wrote about the Spurs during the 1979 playoffs.

The Spurs were up on the defending NBA champion Washington Bullets 3-1 in the Esatern Conference Finals. The whole city was ecstatic about the Spurs' soon to be first trip to the NBA Finals.

But Dan warned everyone not to be so hasty and came up with his famous quote in the process.

Then I believe Bullets' coach Dick Motta seized upon the line from Cook's column and it became the rallying cry for his Bullets. The Bullets went on to win three in a row and take the series 4-3. So, unfortuately for the Spurs, Dan was prophetic.

In fact, Motta repeated the phrase so often that many people just assumed that Motta had come up with it, himself. So not only did the Spurs choke away the series, SA's most prominent sportswriter didn't even get credit for what became one of the most heralded expressions in sports.

But I'm not so sure that my memory is correct on all of this, so please feel free to correct. :)

This is all true. I remember it well.
And he was as much Spurs as the Spurs themselves so it deservedly belongs here.
Enjoy heaven, Mr. Cook.
They'll enjoy your broadcasts.
We lost a great one.

RashoFan
07-04-2008, 07:00 AM
A True Texas Legend.
My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
R.I.P. Mr. Dan Cook
Thank you for the memories. :toast

CubanMustGo
07-04-2008, 09:44 AM
When you open that great Sports Reporter Dictionary in the sky and look up "Old School," Dan's picture is the one you'll see.

A great one has passed and in this day and age of "yelling is good, reporting is bad" his like will never been seen again.

RIP Dan and condolences to your family and many, many friends.

BOHOLANO#21
07-04-2008, 09:48 AM
RIP MR. COOK. i met him in person 5 years ago when he visited his buddy who was my patient in sta. rosa hospital medical center. nice person with good sense of humor...

GrandeDavid
07-04-2008, 10:05 AM
I really enjoyed his columns, he will be missed. RIP with the Lord, Mr. Cook.

Steve-O-Matic
07-04-2008, 10:44 AM
"We'll take a break and I'll be right back."

spursfan09
07-04-2008, 04:58 PM
I heard about it this morning before work. I was really sad to find out. RIP

wildbill2u
07-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Many years ago I was racing sportscars in SCCA and was pissed because the ENews didn't have any regular coverage of any motorsports events. I went to Cook's office prepared to give him a lot of shit, but he turned the tables on me.

"Ok, young man, if you think its easy to write something every week that the readers will enjoy, you take a crack at it. If it's good, I'll publish it."

Well, I did and he did, although not everything got in. It was mostly buried in small miscellaneous columns and of course no byline. But he was courteous every week when I brought my stuff in. Eventually, he assigned a reporter to work on motor sports stuff and my paltry volunteer contributions ended.

Somewhere in a bar in Heaven, Mr. Broadhind takes his cigar out of his mouth and says, "Siddown Bub, what took ya so long to get here? I had ya 9-5 that you'd been at the other place all this time."

Radiosparks
07-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Somewhere in a bar in Heaven, Mr. Broadhind takes his cigar out of his mouth and says, "Siddown Bub, what took ya so long to get here? I had ya 9-5 that you'd been at the other place all this time."

Hahahahhaaaa!!!

Man, I remember back in the day in San Marcos when I had a choice between the Austin and San Antonio news coverage. Although, I preferred Austin news, I made sure I caught Dan's sports segment. One of a kind, he will be missed dearly.