PDA

View Full Version : Warriors targeting Maggette

Walton Buys Off Me
07-04-2008, 08:02 AM
And can offer more than the MLE

Maggette now is person of interest
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

With Gilbert Arenas off the market and Clippers free agent Elton Brand no closer to Oakland, the Warriors headed into the holiday weekend sorting through contingency plans.

Golden State has reached out to forward Corey Maggette, another Clippers free agent, according to two league sources. The Warriors are one of the few teams who can offer Maggette more than the mid-level exception, which is expected to be around $5.6 million when the new cap figures are released.

The rest of the NBA's free agent crop is headlined by 76ers forward Andre Iguodala and Hawks forward Josh Smith, though the Warriors are not believed to be courting either restricted free agent at the moment.

Brand remains the Warriors' No. 1 target, with their five-year, $90 million deal on the table. The Clippers are limited to offering Brand a five-year contract at about $75 million if they renounce Brand's rights, as planned, to fit both him and Baron Davis under the salary cap.

Brand's agent, David Falk, could not be reached, though sources said the pair was in Philadelphia on Thursday hoping to lure the Sixers into the bidding.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/04/SPV611JS76.DTL

chasky
07-04-2008, 08:04 AM
OHhhh

Bye Bye Corey!

:bang

samikeyp
07-04-2008, 08:08 AM
if so, then bye bye Corey's hopes of winning a title.

Supergirl
07-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Well, it's always been a matter of whether Corey wants to chase a championship, make as much money as he can, and/or get as much playing time as he can. Spurs offer the best combination of each.

Orlando, GS, and Philly can offer more, but he's not gonna put them over the top there. Utah and NO don't really have a place for him, nor does Boston.

He can get solid minutes in SA, and make a decent amount of money. We'll see what his priorities are.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Maggette will be a Spur by this time next week

SenorSpur
07-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Better start thinking about Plan B.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Not good news, but that doesn't mean it's over. GS has Ellis and Biendrins to re-sign. They've been rather cautious about giving out contracts to role players and lesser stars.

GS might be seeing if Maggette would come on the cheap. They might also be contemplating a run at a RFA like Josh Smith and will want to see if they could fit in both Smith and Maggette.

Throwing a lot of $ at Maggette wouldn't make much sense for the Warriors. After losing Davis, they don't have much of a chance at making it back to the playoffs next season, especially in the Western Conference. Maggette isn't a big name who can be the face of the franchise to replace Davis either. They'll be in rebuilding mode and it's not like Maggette would put them back in the playoffs.

SenorSpur
07-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Looking at this objectively, I can't see where Maggette would fit with the Warriors. They're already stocked with swingmen and above all, Maggette doesn't fit their style. He's more of an isolation-type player/slasher/scorer while the Warriors favor a run-n-gun-chuck style.

Bartleby
07-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Wouldn't signing Maggette make Azubuike somewhat redundant (and vice-versa)?

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Wouldn't signing Maggette make Azubuike somewhat redundant (and vice-versa)?

One would think so.

K-State Spur
07-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Pretty much an example of an NBA team with cap room feeling that the money will burn a hole in their pocket if they don't spend it.

GrandeDavid
07-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Pretty much an example of an NBA team with cap room feeling that the money will burn a hole in their pocket if they don't spend it.

Well stated!

O-Factor
07-04-2008, 09:56 AM
if so, then bye bye Corey's hopes of winning a title.

In this case, the quote below is true.

"He chose money over championships"
-Wes Welker

tmtcsc
07-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Well, it's always been a matter of whether Corey wants to chase a championship, make as much money as he can, and/or get as much playing time as he can. Spurs offer the best combination of each.

Orlando, GS, and Philly can offer more, but he's not gonna put them over the top there. Utah and NO don't really have a place for him, nor does Boston.

He can get solid minutes in SA, and make a decent amount of money. We'll see what his priorities are.

C'mon now, even you don't believe that nonsense. He would propel New Orleans and Utah big time. Who would take more minutes from him in New Orleans ?

Chris Paul - PG
Corey Maggette -SG
David West- PF
Peja Stojakovich - SF
Tyson Chandler - C

If GS wants him, he's gone. If he comes to San Antonio its because of Coach Pop.

tmtcsc
07-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Not good news, but that doesn't mean it's over. GS has Ellis and Biendrins to re-sign. They've been rather cautious about giving out contracts to role players and lesser stars.

GS might be seeing if Maggette would come on the cheap. They might also be contemplating a run at a RFA like Josh Smith and will want to see if they could fit in both Smith and Maggette.

Throwing a lot of $ at Maggette wouldn't make much sense for the Warriors. After losing Davis, they don't have much of a chance at making it back to the playoffs next season, especially in the Western Conference. Maggette isn't a big name who can be the face of the franchise to replace Davis either. They'll be in rebuilding mode and it's not like Maggette would put them back in the playoffs.

Marcus, we had an ongoing discussion about this a couple of days ago. Just admit what you don't want to admit. Its actually liberating... Maggette is going to go to Golden State and all the BS (Just like Rashard Lewis going to Houston) about it not being about the $$ will play itself out.

Remember, he has an agent and that agent will be telling him to not make a decision until the Sixers and Warriors have exhausted all of their options. He has NOTHING to lose. He will get the MLE at the very least so why jump at a decision right away ? If the Spurs were really his favorite option he would have put his signature (or verbal agreement) where his mouth is. Smart teams will pursue other options. In fact, the Spurs should put pressure on him by offering the MLE to JR Smith NOW. Maggette won't commit anywhere for weeks.

He will go to the highest bidder and that will be the Warriors. Brand will stay with the Clippers (Because of Davis) and Golden State will not land any RFA. Maggette will go to GS and put up huge numbers and go for gold when he becomes a FA again.

For those of you trying to say "Maggette doesn't fit the system" because he's an isolation player...think again. Nelson's offense is...first one over the half court line shoots. He'll put up silly numbers and silly shots and won't get slammed for his lack of defense. Its a dream fit for most players.

coopdogg3
07-04-2008, 10:19 AM
If it's not about the money, why would Brand return to the Clips as opposed to taking Golden States much larger offer? Most of the time, it's about money. Sometimes it's not. Maybe Corey would be interested in playing for a winner for a couple years, and then optioning out for his big payday. It's not likely, but it's certainly possible.

xtremesteven33
07-04-2008, 10:26 AM
CM "Im tired of losing, Its not about the money, I want to get back into the playoffs and start winning"

I take these words to heart

tmtcsc
07-04-2008, 10:32 AM
CM "Im tired of losing, Its not about the money, I want to get back into the playoffs and start winning"

I take these words to heart

Sincerely,

Derek Anderson
Lamond Murray

Tully365
07-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Looking at this objectively, I can't see where Maggette would fit with the Warriors. They're already stocked with swingmen and above all, Maggette doesn't fit their style. He's more of an isolation-type player/slasher/scorer while the Warriors favor a run-n-gun-chuck style.

With the Spurs, Celts, Hornets, and Magic all supposedly interested, it should have to be a lot of money to make Maggette join another perennial borderline playoff team.... aside from one dramatic upset in the playoffs, this team has been a non-factor for a very long time.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2008, 10:36 AM
the Magic are probably out, since they're looking strongly at Duhon..

it's between San Antonio and Boston for the MLE IMO..

as for Golden State, despite the future pieces, the Warriors are a team on the way down RIGHT NOW..signing Maggette would be a terrible move for their franchise, since he doesn't fit in their semi-rebuilding scheme..he doesn't make them a significantly better team, they'd still be a 1st round exit at best..they probably wouldn't even make the playoffs in the tough West anyways..

Kindergarten Cop
07-04-2008, 11:07 AM
What we also need to consider is that Maggette may be taking his time because at the current time he is the #1 FA in the NBA and many teams are vying for his services - that's got to be a pretty good feeling. This is the first, and likely the last time, in his NBA career that he can say that he is the top target to several Championship quality teams. If you were in that situation, would you rush to make a decision (or admit that you have already made your mind up) or would you listen to all of the offers and let teams wine and dine you? I believe that Maggette has already made his mind up and is just milking this for all that it is worth, and I can't really fault him for it.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2008, 11:09 AM
definitely agree with Kindergarten..

I'm sure our FO is competent enough to have back-up plans though..

I haven't heard much about our other potential signings though, so that's good news..I haven't heard much interest in Pietrus from other teams(Detroit so far), or Azubuike, or Childress..those guys and their agents are probably waiting it out too..

tmtcsc
07-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Do you really think he needs to be wined and dined ? Do you really think that's what he wants ? A free meal and an attention shower ?

OR

Do you think he is waiting to see which team will bring him the most $$ ? I think he has enough money to go on a great vacation and be pampered all he wants. In fact, I'm sure his agent strokes his ego enough for 5 teams.

I'm sure our FO has back up plans. Maggette was never our # 1 target. I'm not sure who is but unless they had information on BDavis that he was going to go LA LA land, I'm pretty sure it was probably someone else. BDavis did alot of teams a big favor.

Big P
07-04-2008, 11:18 AM
definitely agree with Kindergarten..

I'm sure our FO is competent enough to have back-up plans though..

I haven't heard much about our other potential signings though, so that's good news..I haven't heard much interest in Pietrus from other teams(Detroit so far), or Azubuike, or Childress..those guys and their agents are probably waiting it out too..

It's like dominos...once the big ones fall(BDavis, Brand, Josh Smith) the rest will start to go...there is interest in Pietrus, Azibuke, etc. its just that teams would be stupid to commit money to 2nd & 3rd tier FA's, while 1st tier FA's are still out there.

Kindergarten Cop
07-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Do you really think he needs to be wined and dined ? Do you really think that's what he wants ? A free meal and an attention shower ?

OR

Do you think he is waiting to see which team will bring him the most $$ ? I think he has enough money to go on a great vacation and be pampered all he wants. In fact, I'm sure his agent strokes his ego enough for 5 teams.

Of course it's just my opinion, but sometimes "being wanted" or "being appreciated" is far more valuable than money - especially when you consider that the teams that are scouting you are top notch teams. I did not mean to infer that he was in it for a free meal or even that he is an attention whore - but when you get a chance to be the Big Man on Campus and you are in the headlines of numerous papers as the premiere target for some Championship caliber teams, I'd imagine that it would be tough to turn that away.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Of course players usually go for the money. It's not a surprise, but GS is looking at a pretty weird roster if they sign Maggette. I suppose the strategy is to get the best players available and try to trade for needs later.

tmtcsc
07-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Of course it's just my opinion, but sometimes "being wanted" or "being appreciated" is far more valuable than money - especially when you consider that the teams that are scouting you are top notch teams. I did not mean to infer that he was in it for a free meal or even that he is an attention whore - but when you get a chance to be the Big Man on Campus and you are in the headlines of numerous papers as the premiere target for some Championship caliber teams, I'd imagine that it would be tough to turn that away.

I hear ya. I've just become cynical over the years at how much the recruiting thing doesn't work. It started with Chris Webber and ended with the Jason Kidd fiasco. It just doesn't work.

Kindergarten Cop
07-04-2008, 11:32 AM
I hear ya. I've just become cynical over the years at how much the recruiting thing doesn't work. It started with Chris Webber and ended with the Jason Kidd fiasco. It just doesn't work.

Actually in hindsight, you could say that it DID work (at least when you consider the best interests of the Spurs).:toast

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 11:33 AM
It just doesn't work.Except when it does.

Maggette is still young to be thinking that way though.

SenorSpur
07-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Marcus, we had an ongoing discussion about this a couple of days ago. Just admit what you don't want to admit. Its actually liberating... Maggette is going to go to Golden State and all the BS (Just like Rashard Lewis going to Houston) about it not being about the $$ will play itself out.

Remember, he has an agent and that agent will be telling him to not make a decision until the Sixers and Warriors have exhausted all of their options. He has NOTHING to lose. He will get the MLE at the very least so why jump at a decision right away ? If the Spurs were really his favorite option he would have put his signature (or verbal agreement) where his mouth is. Smart teams will pursue other options. In fact, the Spurs should put pressure on him by offering the MLE to JR Smith NOW. Maggette won't commit anywhere for weeks.

He will go to the highest bidder and that will be the Warriors. Brand will stay with the Clippers (Because of Davis) and Golden State will not land any RFA. Maggette will go to GS and put up huge numbers and go for gold when he becomes a FA again.

For those of you trying to say "Maggette doesn't fit the system" because he's an isolation player...think again. Nelson's offense is...first one over the half court line shoots. He'll put up silly numbers and silly shots and won't get slammed for his lack of defense. Its a dream fit for most players.

Just because the first player across half court takes the shot, doesn't mean that Maggette is a good fit for their system. He put up decent numbers in a starting role for the Clippers and what did he get for his trouble? They renounced his rights.

If he does indeed end up in Golden State, he can be assured of Clippervision - the sequel. He'll be a major cog on a team that score a ton of point, plays no defense and doesn't make the playoffs. Maggette would be a fool not to go to the highest bidder. So if that's the role he wants, no problem.

The Spurs can simply acquire Pietrus, insert him into the starting lineup and move on. No one is gonna sweat it if Maggette turns down the Spurs.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2008, 12:05 PM
The Spurs can simply acquire Pietrus, insert him into the starting lineup and move on. No one is gonna sweat it if Maggette turns down the Spurs.

Pietrus would be a huge downgrade compared to Maggette and I'd hope the Spurs have other options other than Pietrus.

But, I've never been hopeful of the Spurs getting Maggette - there's always a team with more money when it comes to acquiring 20/5 type of guys.

SenorSpur
07-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Pietrus would be a huge downgrade compared to Maggette and I'd hope the Spurs have other options other than Pietrus.

But, I've never been hopeful of the Spurs getting Maggette - there's always a team with more money when it comes to acquiring 20/5 type of guys.

No doubt about it. Maybe the Spurs aren't even considering him. But with J.R. Smith practically off the radar, I don't know of any better 2nd option than Pietrus.

T Park
07-04-2008, 12:11 PM
But with J.R. Smith practically off the radar

What story did I miss about him being off the radar?

SenorSpur
07-04-2008, 12:13 PM
What story did I miss about him being off the radar?

I'm making an assumption, given that Smith is a RFA, that the Nuggets will match whatever MLE offer Smith is likely to receive.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2008, 12:15 PM
The other obvious fact is why should they overpay for Maggette if they can re-sign some combination of Pietrus and Kelenna for cheaper and add said signings to what they already have in Wright and Randolph? It'd cost them less and they'd have more players for Nellie to tinker with.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm making an assumption, given that Smith is a RFA, that the Nuggets will match whatever MLE offer Smith is likely to receive.

That's a rather dubious assumption to make. Smith isn't in the headlines yet only because of the Brand/Davis/Maggette merry-go-round.

Remember, Denver is in tax hell and is looking at the luxury tax for whatever JR is offered (ie, an MLE deal to Smith is going to cost them north of $11 million dollars in 2008-2009).

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-04-2008, 12:17 PM

They will, its a given (sorry Tpark, you must be sick of me saying that :lol ), but if one of the clubs with capspace offer him more, then im not sure how high stan would be willing to go.

T Park
07-04-2008, 12:18 PM
They will, its a given (sorry Tpark, you must be sick of me saying that :lol ), but if one of the clubs with capspace offer him more, then im not sure how high stan would be willing to go.

Yeah well see if Stan is willing to shell out 11.6 million over a 4th scorer.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah well see if Stan is willing to shell out 11.6 million over a 4th scorer.

yes we will and ill be happy to let you know when the news comes out that he has matched an MLE offer.

timvp
07-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Yeah this is disappointing but not horribly surprising. We'll see what the Warriors will offer. If they offer something above a 5-year, $45M offer, I think Maggette takes it. But if they low ball him with a 5-year, $38-40M, Maggette may still opt for the Spurs and to hit free agency in 2010.

One thing going for the Spurs is Chris Mullin has been strict about not over paying (well, since the Adonal Foyle debacle) and may just bid a few million over the MLE to gauge Maggette's interest. The other thing is Maggette says he wants to win. Of course that very likely just could be talk but we'll find out soon enough.

spurman20
07-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Just because the first player across half court takes the shot, doesn't mean that Maggette is a good fit for their system. He put up decent numbers in a starting role for the Clippers and what did he get for his trouble? They renounced his rights.

If he does indeed end up in Golden State, he can be assured of Clippervision - the sequel. He'll be a major cog on a team that score a ton of point, plays no defense and doesn't make the playoffs. Maggette would be a fool not to go to the highest bidder. So if that's the role he wants, no problem.

Pietrus instead of Maggette .......not a good trade off......Pietrus is basically B Bowen with a better vertical. He is an OK 3pt shooter, has no midrange game......a very good defender....but his numbers are inflated becasue he played in a fast paced enviorment.....his best season was 11 pts pg.....In San Ant......who plays slower this guy would avg 7-8 a game less than Fin.....I doubt we will even target Pietrus he might be 5th option.

timvp
07-04-2008, 01:30 PM
As for Maggette, the story going around on Thursday had him also leaning toward taking the mid-level exception of approximately $5.8 million per season in a multi-year pact from the San Antonio Spurs. The 6-6, 225-pound swingman is firmly established as one of the more explosive athletic players in the West who has worked hard to become a good long-range shooter. But it sounds like he'll accept the multi-year, mid-level pact for the second consecutive contract just for the opportunity to win with the Spurs. Put him on the floor with Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan, and nobody will doubt the Spurs have got a shot at winning their fourth title in seven years.

Then again, the Warriors have all that money now available with Davis' departure, so Maggette would get big money with a team that plays at break-neck speed — a nice combination, if not as formidable as the Spurs.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8311782/Money-not-always-players'-sole-motivation

Nothing new. It looks like the Spurs are going to finish second in a chase for a big name free agent for the 234,635 time. :shootme

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2008, 01:46 PM
One thing going for the Spurs is Chris Mullin has been strict about not over paying (well, since the Adonal Foyle debacle) and may just bid a few million over the MLE to gauge Maggette's interest. The other thing is Maggette says he wants to win. Of course that very likely just could be talk but we'll find out soon enough.

I could see GS giving him a solid offer, not a crazy one, with the idea of shuffling the roster later on.

T Park
07-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Nothing new. It looks like the Spurs are going to finish second in a chase for a big name free agent for the 234,635 time. :shootme

I dont see there what made you think that other than the guy saying "The warriors have money"

Hell it says hes leaning twords SA.

T Park
07-04-2008, 02:10 PM
I read it again, for it not being worded very well, he makes it sound like Maggette is coming.

timvp
07-04-2008, 02:13 PM
I read it again, for it not being worded very well, he makes it sound like Maggette is coming.It's just some opinion piece. If the Warriors are serious about landing Maggette, they will.

T Park
07-04-2008, 02:15 PM
It's just some opinion piece. If the Warriors are serious about landing Maggette, they will.

He said sources are saying hes leaning tword signing with the Spurs.

Hes not the first person to have said that either.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Josh Smith? Sources inside and outside the organization say he's not on the Warriors' radar.

Corey Maggette? The Warriors like him, but not at much more than the mid-level exception.

Andre Iguodala? Even if the Warriors went after him, (which I'm not sure they will), his restricted status is a big hurdle.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/warriors/detail?blogid=39&entry_id=27854

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-07-2008, 09:37 AM
In need of a point guard, the Golden State Warriors are expected to see what they can get in a trade for PF Al Harrington. ...

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=431805

Big P
07-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Its really going to come down to what happens in Philly...I think they are the team that we have to worry about...

wisnub
07-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Fuck....i feel that CM is nto coming...

wisnub
07-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Wariors Philly Magette....that leave us w/ the rest of the leftovers

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-07-2008, 12:12 PM
And it leaves us with your continuous bitching. Just die.

angelbelow
07-07-2008, 02:13 PM
what is the warriors purpose of going after maggette tho? they have a young backcourt already, they should be looking to fill holes no adding veterans at expensive prices.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2008, 02:18 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/warriors/detail?blogid=39&entry_id=27854

Corey Maggette? The Warriors like him, but not at much more than the mid-level exception.

I hope that's the case. Philly is stuck waiting on Smith and then seems ready to go to Krstic if that doesn't work out....