PDA

View Full Version : ABA Returns To San Antonio

duncan228
07-04-2008, 12:22 PM
http://www.abalive.com/news/releases/?newsid=2008070406001

ABA RETURNS TO SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS

Indianapolis, IN -- The American Basketball Association announced that it will return to San Antonio, Texas, the home of the original ABA San Antonio Spurs, which moved to the NBA along with the Indiana Pacers, New Jersey Nets and Denver Nuggets.

According to Joe Newman, ABA CEO, "San Antonio was one of the great ABA teams led by the incomparable George "Ice Man" Gervin. And of course, the tradition of San Antonio legends has continued with the likes of David Robinson, Tim Duncan and others. There is certainly room in this wonderful city for exciting professional basketball at affordable prices - and we've found an owner/operator who can maximize the potential in Benjamin Mireles. We're really looking forward to being there."

"Our goal is to give an opportunity to many up and coming players," said Head Coach/Owner Benjamin Mireles. "Our team, the South Texas Showboats will be the first professional basketball team in San Antonio since the Spurs switched from the ABA to the NBA. We hope the citizens of SA will respond to our exciting brand of basketball at affordable prices as they did in the mid-70s. We look forward to making an impact here on the community and the youth in the community as well as giving young players a chance to play. It should be a lot of fun in this beautiful city - and we are looking forward to the challenge."

Complete details about tryouts, personnel, and other information will be announced shortly.

For more information email Coach at [email protected], call (210) 897-0379, or visit www.sanantonioproball.com.

http://www.sanantonioproball.com/index_nav.html

South Texas Showboats
WELCOME

We would like to announce that the South Texas Showboats will be moving into the ABA this season beginning December 5th 2008 through March 31st 2009. We are going to bring the ABA back to life here in the city in which the San Antonio Spurs were originated from.

WE ARE CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR STRONG SPOSORSHIP IN THE SAN ANTONIO AREA TO BE APART OF HISTORY IN THE MAKING BY BRING A MINOR LEAGUE BASKETBALL TEAM TO SAN ANTONIO!! We work strongly with the youth, education, and community outreach here in San Antonio!!

We are also holding Tryouts Every Monday and Tuesday. DEADLINE for tryouts is September 30, 2008. Send Player profiles to [email protected] or Call 210-897-0379 and reserve your spot for $50.00 or bring $75 on Mondays or Tuesdays 7pm-10pm at Christian World of Ministries of 6633Walzem Road. SERIOUS INQIRIES ONLY!! TRYOUTS will last throughout September15th and only for $75 you can get in for 2 months of workouts!!!!!!!

TAKE A LOOK AT THE REST OF THIS WEBSITE AND SEE WHAT OUR TEAM IS ALL ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Benjamin Mireles 210-897-0379 HEAD COACH / OWNER

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Oh God no.

Well we can at least make a vBookie about how many games they will actually play next season.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Showboats? WTF? What kind of name is that?

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 12:35 PM
I think this is one of the three teams that ended up playing in San Antonio for the UBL this summer. That league has all kinds of ABA-type issues, so I guess it's natural to want to extend that kind of madness into a year-round adventure.

Brutalis
07-04-2008, 12:36 PM
How many times is the ABA closing and re-opening?

Arkansas RimRockers won the ABA title here recently, then got moved to the D League I believe then folded. SO.... who fucking cares anymore these people need to get a grip already.

duncan228
07-04-2008, 12:38 PM

:lol That was my first reaction. It's about as far away from the Spurs mode of operation as you can get. When I think of San Antonio showboating is not something that pops into my mind.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 12:39 PM
I think the RimRockers still have the rights to a D-League franchise; they were trying to get into LaCrosse, Wisconsin this fall but couldn't get an arena deal (which sunk them in Little Rock too).

All the best ABA franchises leave like the Arkansas team did. The PBL has been the greatest beneficiary lately.

T Park
07-04-2008, 12:40 PM
I wish i had half the money that these guys waste on these stupid leagues.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 12:41 PM
I wish i had half the money that these guys waste on these stupid leagues.You definitely have enough to join the ABA.

T Park
07-04-2008, 12:42 PM
You definitely have enough to join the ABA.

Lets see

(looks through wallet)

Got 120 bucks, that enough? :lol

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Lets see

(looks through wallet)

Got 120 bucks, that enough? :lolI'm sure Joe Newman will work something out with you.

lefty
07-04-2008, 01:08 PM
God Yes !!:lol

Montreal will kick your asses ! :lmao

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Montreal left for the PBL....

lefty
07-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Montreal left for the PBL....

When ????

curtismedellin
07-04-2008, 01:18 PM
The league will have the FlintTropics again.

Word is Jackie Moon will also return as coach/choreographer for the Tropics.

I also have heard rumors that Pancake Night will return to the arena as well!!!
I can't wait!!

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 01:20 PM
When ????Sorry, I have it wrong. The PBL has an expansion team there. Will the Royal be there too after most of the NE teams left the ABA?

lefty
07-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Sorry, I have it wrong. The PBL has an expansion team there. Will the Royal be there too after most of the NE teams left the ABA?

The ABA website mentions both the Montreal Matrix and Montreal Royal.

I know for sure that we still have the Matrix (previously owned by Jerome Williams).

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 01:26 PM
What a mess. I'm hoping Newman retires soon so the ABA can be put out of its misery.

Steve-O-Matic
07-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Has anyone ever actually seen a showboat in south Texas?

midgetonadonkey
07-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Has anyone ever actually seen a showboat in south Texas?

The Cowboys had their training camp here last season.

T Park
07-04-2008, 02:05 PM
I want half the money Newman has blown on this abortion

CubanMustGo
07-04-2008, 02:19 PM
The Showboats also announced that they would play home games Hemisfair Arena, last seen in 1995 before being demolished to make way for yet another Convention Center expansion. "We know that doesn't make a lot of sense," said owner/head coach/janitor Benjamin Mireles, "but the Arena still exists in our hearts from the ABA days and we consider it our '12th man'. Or is that sixth man? Whatever, we're working things out right now."

Mireles then wandered off, mumbling something about needing to find his meds.

sa_butta
07-04-2008, 02:26 PM
It would be cool if they played thier games in the summer, like now when the Spurs are not playing.

Mister Sinister
07-04-2008, 02:39 PM
:lol That was my first reaction. It's about as far away from the Spurs mode of operation as you can get. When I think of San Antonio showboating is not something that pops into my mind.
Maybe the players are going to put their boats on display, to show them off?

angelbelow
07-04-2008, 08:55 PM

:lol

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 09:14 PM
It would be cool if they played thier games in the summer, like now when the Spurs are not playing.They have been.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 09:15 PM
I want half the money Newman has blown on this abortionIt's not his money -- that's the beauty of it. He's been charging $10,000 franchise fees for years. Certainly not everyone has paid in full, but he's made a nice living off of naive would-be basketball team owners.

kobe_bryant
07-04-2008, 09:24 PM
i want to know what timvp thinks

Avitus1
07-05-2008, 01:17 AM
I wonder how long it'll take for the STS to fold...