PDA

View Full Version : Don't the Spurs need an athletic PF or C?

Srupsog
07-04-2008, 04:10 PM
There's been all this talk about the spurs major need is a athletic wing, but the spurs need an athletic PF or C just as bad. I know people say Mahinmi will help next year, but isn't proven yet, so no one knows if he can even handle playing in the NBA. Kurt Thomas and Oberto are good, but neither is athletic, both of them can't jump at all, which really hurt us in the western finals, Lamar Odom killed us because of them, the spurs can only keep one of them, and I say oberto since he's cheaper and locked up. I think need to go after emeka Okafor or earl barron in free agency, because they seem to be the only bigs left that fit that need, or trade Matt bonner, or sign kurt thomas and trade oberto and bonner; whatever they do I hope they get an athletic big because they need it bad. So what does everyone else think?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2008, 04:13 PM
I think we should hold off the bigman rotation thoughts until we got the whole Maggette situation over with.

TheProfessor
07-04-2008, 04:13 PM
James Gist!

angelbelow
07-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Ian!

Indazone
07-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Scola!

:lmao

xtremesteven33
07-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Timmy is the man people. it seems we have forgotten about that.

Tim rebounds, defends the paint and scores the ball.
does he need help? sure he does. but its not a desperate situation like the 2 spot

Tully365
07-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Hmmmm....Emeka or Earl, Emeka or Earl... just kiddin'-- I agree that even with Mahinmi, Oberto, and Thomas, the Spurs should look to get one more big body. If Bynum and Oden are healthy next year, they will be a handful to deal with, and Earl Barron or Brian Skinner or Adonal Foyle will actually be players the Spurs can afford to fill that role.

xtremesteven33
07-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Hmmmm....Emeka or Earl, Emeka or Earl... just kiddin'-- I agree that even with Mahinmi, Oberto, and Thomas, the Spurs should look to get one more big body. If Bynum and Oden are healthy next year, they will be a handful to deal with, and Earl Barron or Brian Skinner or Adonal Foyle will actually be players the Spurs can afford to fill that role.

i disagree. were ok for right now with the 4 and 5's. maybe next year we need some fresh blood. not right now

Ocotillo
07-04-2008, 04:43 PM
I agree but there is thing called reality that gets in the way.

The team has one MLE to offer. We are over the cap, so we are hamstrung in our ability to sign free agents and that means we are restricted to signing players via the MLE (5.8 mil), the LLE (1.8 mil) and free agents we have Bird rights to.

The team could really use a jumping jack type shot blocker to cover the weak side and help Tim. That is a need I will concede but if Corey Maggette is actually talking with us, we have to focus on him even if the odds are long.

The team needs a player just like him more than we need the athletic big. Fortunately, we at least have a chance of having that athletic big already in Ian Mahinmi. He may not work out but I believe the FO believes he has a decent chance otherwise they might have gone a different direction in the draft.

Bruno
07-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Spurs also need some athleticism upfront.
Saying it is one thing , finding players that can do it is another.

Okafor isn't available and Barron quite sucks.
Come back with a name that makes some sense.

thekingrobert
07-04-2008, 04:45 PM
I live in Miami and go to Heat games Barron is Elson version 2

Tully365
07-04-2008, 05:10 PM
I live in Miami and go to Heat games Barron is Elson version 2

The Spurs won a championship with Elson, and with Nesterovic. It's easy to knock those guys-- no they are not star players by a long shot-- but they served their modest purposes. Elson gave a very reasonable 5 pts/5 rebs per game, which is pretty much what was expected. The idea of adding a cheap big as insurance is a very sensible one.

timvp
07-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Earl Barron might be the worst center in the NBA. Elson > Barron.

Tully365
07-04-2008, 05:16 PM
I agree but there is thing called reality that gets in the way.

The team has one MLE to offer. We are over the cap, so we are hamstrung in our ability to sign free agents and that means we are restricted to signing players via the MLE (5.8 mil), the LLE (1.8 mil) and free agents we have Bird rights to.

The team could really use a jumping jack type shot blocker to cover the weak side and help Tim. That is a need I will concede but if Corey Maggette is actually talking with us, we have to focus on him even if the odds are long.

The team needs a player just like him more than we need the athletic big. Fortunately, we at least have a chance of having that athletic big already in Ian Mahinmi. He may not work out but I believe the FO believes he has a decent chance otherwise they might have gone a different direction in the draft.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure teams can sign players to the League minimum salary without it effecting the LLE and MLE.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure teams can sign players to the League minimum salary without it effecting the LLE and MLE.

Correct.

mrspurs
07-04-2008, 05:21 PM
anyone whos read anything ive said has already heard me.......timmy needs help downlow, hellooooo...if we go in with these same guys, we better get someone on the wing who can score alot of points, game in and game out...if we are gonna live from behing the arc, then expect the same kind of season, if timmy doesnt get any help....imo next season will be a replay of this past one....dont know bout yall, but ive never seen us get so outplayed in the paint...im not a stat remember(some say it comes with age) but i remember one game against NO (in the PO's) we got stomped in the paint (40 something to 12 plus or minus 2 something) and guess what really amazed me....we won that game haha....but still the west will be tougher next season, some players will be back, bynum,oden, most of the better teams have 2 threats downlow or at least 2 that work well together....timmy has what?.....nada

Ocotillo
07-04-2008, 05:26 PM

You are correct.

Athletic big men don't sign league minimum contracts.

Tully365
07-04-2008, 05:34 PM
You are correct.

Athletic big men don't sign league minimum contracts.

I'm talking Foyle, Skinner, Andre Brown, etc., not Dalembert, Biedrins, etc.

spurman20
07-04-2008, 05:41 PM
If we dont get Gettee then we should go after Krystic from NJ. he is not a shot blocker but is quick can play high and low post, is a good passer and 7ft tall. Oh hes still 24yr old too. Then use the LLE to sign Mason, or Delfino...and re up barry.

Tully365
07-04-2008, 05:47 PM
If we dont get Gettee then we should go after Krystic from NJ. he is not a shot blocker but is quick can play high and low post, is a good passer and 7ft tall. Oh hes still 24yr old too. Then use the LLE to sign Mason, or Delfino...and re up barry.

With Duhon getting the MLE from NY, do you think Mason will settle for the LLE?

Tully365
07-04-2008, 05:54 PM
I can't wait to see Mahinmi next year and have been impressed by his progress, but I think people are expecting an awful lot from him. It's been very rare in the past few years for a PF or C from the D League to put up big numbers in the NBA. I'd be happy if he contributed 5 pts & 5 rebs a game.

spurman20
07-04-2008, 06:10 PM
With Duhon getting the MLE from NY, do you think Mason will settle for the LLE?

I think he is gonna ask for around 2.5 but if he isnt signed in the first week or two he may take the LLE for a yr and retry FA next year.

spurman20
07-04-2008, 06:13 PM
I can't wait to see Mahinmi next year and have been impressed by his progress, but I think people are expecting an awful lot from him. It's been very rare in the past few years for a PF or C from the D League to put up big numbers in the NBA. I'd be happy if he contributed 5 pts & 5 rebs a game.

If he gets the mins he will produce...I see him as a 7-9ppg, 5 rb 1.25 blk in 16 min pr game. His problem is he is foul prone.....also will depend if he is on the floor alot with Tim or if his mins will come mostly with the second uniti

wildbill2u
07-04-2008, 06:15 PM

Dorell Wright with Miami? He's a restricted fa since they made him an offer.

Tully365
07-04-2008, 06:17 PM
If he gets the mins he will produce...I see him as a 7-9ppg, 5 rb 1.25 blk in 16 min pr game. His problem is he is foul prone.....also will depend if he is on the floor alot with Tim or if his mins will come mostly with the second uniti

Those numbers would be great... and I agree on the issue of fouls-- he had big problems last summer and at the beginning of the D League season, but definitely improved as the year went on. Keeping my fingers crossed...

spurman20
07-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Those numbers would be great... and I agree on the issue of fouls-- he had big problems last summer and at the beginning of the D League season, but definitely improved as the year went on. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Me too, there are whispers around the leauge most coaches think he has super star potiental.........I see him as someone who could be a bigger version of A Stoutimire.......in a few yrs

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Ian is here, as is Gist for the time being. Javtokas may get an offer and I would even take Elson back for the right price, but young scoring help on the wing is far more important right now. I can't believe anyone could have watched the playoffs and decided otherwise.

marcflynn2009
07-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Ian is here, as is Gist for the time being. Javtokas may get an offer and I would even take Elson back for the right price, but young scoring help on the wing is far more important right now. I can't believe anyone could have watched the playoffs and decided otherwise.

are you joking... we need big men more than anything... there just arent any good ones that want the MLE we have to offer... we have NO big men... elson sucks, oberto sucks... bonner sucks... horry sucks... thomas is old... the only good big man we have is duncan... we need a big guy before anyone else

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 06:59 PM
we need big men more than anythingNah, young swingmen who attack the basket are much more of a priority -- and the Spurs FA choices reflect that.
elson sucksMaybe you should know who is on the roster before stating team needs.

kobyz
07-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Oberto is the worst big man defender in the NBA, we need to replace him, but it will be tough because there is no team that will want to take him, so we stuck with him for the next two years.

anakha
07-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Oberto is the worst big man defender in the NBA

Worse then, say, DJ Mbenga?

Try again. :lmao

kobyz
07-04-2008, 07:31 PM

DJ Mbenga is better, he can block shots

AusSpursFan
http://sportsmedia.ign.com/sports/image/article/678/678535/david-lee-interview-20060103001025035-000-000.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong, but here is your answer. He rebounds, he hustles and he is bloody athletic would run the floor well with Parker. I also hear that they want to trade him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz5IAYjP57w&feature=related

SPURSGOAT
We have enough with Duncan, Ian, and Thomas...Ian is very athletic and quick.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I'd like Lee, but Zeke isn't running the show anymore. The Knicks would actually want something in return.

mystargtr34
07-04-2008, 08:52 PM

:lol trying to be nice.... i agree...

Barron is the worst Center in the league...

mystargtr34
07-04-2008, 08:56 PM

Except DJ Mbenga doesnt start.

At least Oberto knows HOW to play... he just doesnt have ANY skill to speak of other than throwing the ball well to Duncan and getting out of his way.

I think Kwame Brown is better than Oberto... at least he can dunk the fucking ball when he catches it... whats the use of being able to catch a ball and being in the right position when your only front rim an open lay up like Oberto

SenorSpur
07-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Oberto is the worst big man defender in the NBA, we need to replace him, but it will be tough because there is no team that will want to take him, so we stuck with him for the next two years.

I don't know if he's the worst defender, but can look really bad against a superior offensive post player. He's a smart player and I know Pop loves him dearly, but there are a lot of tough matchups in the West that render Oberto virtually useless. Besides that, I'm tired of seeing him tap rebounds out as opposed to having enough skill in which to grab them.

We do need a wing player first. Another help defeder will be great. As I've said many times, the frontlines of the Western Conference teams will be much bigger than in years past. So another big man with skills that are slightly better than Thomas/Oberto would be helpful to Duncan.

AC#21_TD ERA
07-04-2008, 09:49 PM
I agee. With the dud Oberto starting at center were going to gext exposed next season like we did in the WCF. Even Gasol beat us on the boards. We went to KT when the series was over he should of been our starting C. TD hasn't had help since Robinson retired. It will be hard to get Okafor but if we somehow get him then get Oberto out of San Antonio.

Big P
07-04-2008, 09:59 PM

Word!

SenorSpur
07-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Unless the Spurs do come up with yet another supporting big, Pop will have to force-feed minutes to Ian, exhibit a bit of patience and live with the results.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2008, 10:18 PM
I am completely fine with that.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Me too.

SenorSpur
07-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Me three.

SRJ
07-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Besides that, I'm tired of seeing him tap rebounds out as opposed to having enough skill in which to grab them.

You think that's tiresome; imagine what I go through every time some poster makes this stupid argument.

lefty
07-05-2008, 01:16 AM
i disagree. were ok for right now with the 4 and 5's. maybe next year we need some fresh blood. not right now

What did you smoke during the WCF?

Farmar and Fisher outhustled Oberto for rebounds...ugh

Tully365
07-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Me too.

In the "How to Rebuild" thread, you proposed signing Brian Skinner to the LLE and Foyle to the minimum-- what made you change your mind?

AusSpursFan
07-05-2008, 03:21 AM
totally in agreement about Oberto, why did we ever resign him, I thought it was a mistake at the time and now we are stuck with him for another year. Scola was a far superior option, the only thing I am hoping for this year, in the absence of a trade, is to see Mahinmi step up and take over this role.

nil.ball
07-05-2008, 04:58 AM
Scola
Splitter
Landry
Hayes
Batum
Dorsey

Take your pick spurs, you could have had them all...

Bruno
07-05-2008, 05:00 AM
Dorell Wright with Miami? He's a restricted fa since they made him an offer.

He is a SF.

Elson is maybe the best athletic bigman available on FA this year. :downspin:

mystargtr34
07-05-2008, 05:30 AM
Scola - Not athletic - probably a worse defender than Oberto

Splitter - Weve still got him
Landry - Gist is bigger and longer
Hayes - Ditto
Batum - SF, probably plays more like a guard
Dorsey - Who will he guard at 6'6"

wildchild
07-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Oberto did a good job in the regular season against Yao, Howard, Garnett, Okur, Dampier, many guys.

Lamar Odom killed us? When? Two good games of five? C'mon.
Timmy on Gasol and Gasol didn't nothing. Oberto, Horry and Thomas on Lamar and Lamar finished with only two good games in the all serie.
What's the big deal?

Ian is an athletic guy, Oberto is a smart player and knows how play in Pop's systems and Thomas is a pretty good post defender.

If we don't bring a better big, doesn't matter. We didn't lose the playoffs 'cause our bigs were bad or their defense was bad.

SenorSpur
07-05-2008, 08:49 AM
You think that's tiresome; imagine what I go through every time some poster makes this stupid argument.

Perhaps it wouldn't be so tough, if you bothered to take your head out of the sand.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-05-2008, 09:29 AM
In the "How to Rebuild" thread, you proposed signing Brian Skinner to the LLE and Foyle to the minimum-- what made you change your mind?

Well that was assuming Bonner and Udoka was traded, which is unlikely, and I would still like Skinner if it is possible. Not Foyle though, he's just IR fodder.

wildbill2u
07-05-2008, 12:03 PM
He is a SF.

Exactly! Isn't Wright at 6'9" precisely what this site has been clamoring for all these years: an athletic long 3. Some reports have him going even longer since his initial draft four years ago.

Now everyone is enamored of a 6'5" swingman who will force us to either play small ball with him at the 3 and Manu at the 2 or alternate him with Manu on the bench so we can't play both at the same time.

Either way we lose Bowen, our defensive stopper. At least Wright would provide some athleticism and height on the wing if Bowen is on the bench.

Oh well, we'll probably lose out on every good FA and settle for some bozo like every other year.

Tully365
07-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Scola
Splitter
Landry
Hayes
Batum
Dorsey

Splitter & Landry were in the same draft, so it was one or the other. Batum wasn't available, he'd already been taken when it was their pick.
I still think the Splitter pick was a good one. The draft always involves risk, especially for picks in the late 20s, and it took the convergence of a poor U.S. dollar, a spike in Euro salaries, a Tau championship, and possibly his sister's illness to make him stay in Spain, which surprised everyone including the FO of the Spurs. Don't you think it's a case of bad luck, not bad planning?

tlongII
07-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Sounds like you need Darrell Arthur to me. :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Sounds like you need Darrell Arthur to me. :lol

Too bad he's not a F/C.

underdawg
07-05-2008, 01:22 PM

Instead of Javtokas or Elson - how possible would it be to get O'Bryant? What do you think his price is this summer?

ChumpDumper
07-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Instead of Javtokas or Elson - how possible would it be to get O'Bryant? What do you think his price is this summer?I doubt his price is going to be more than the LLE, if that.

I think he is currently at the Celtics mini-camp -- and they obviously have other plans for their MLE.

nil.ball
07-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Here's what you should do, pick an even year, and take Tim Duncan out, and tank the season, like the way you did with Robinson and draft the next generation duncan. You will be set for the next 10 years!

ChumpDumper
07-05-2008, 03:35 PM
rocketfans are spectacularly ignorant.

T Park
07-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Here's what you should do, pick an even year, and take Tim Duncan out, and tank the season, like the way you did with Robinson and draft the next generation duncan. You will be set for the next 10 years!

Rocket fan continues to show their ass.

exstatic
07-05-2008, 03:44 PM

Mahinmi isn't a d-leaguer, he's an NBA first rounder farmed out for some playing time. There is a difference.

It's also a sad fact of life that big men are overpaid, athletic ones even more so. About the only one I've seen mentioned in this thread that you have a prayer of getting for the LLE is Barron, and he sucks.

Srupsog
07-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Remember, Earl Barron is very young, he has all the physical tools, he's also very cheap. He did show alot of improvement this year. Put him in a winning environment around seasoned veterans to learn from and Pop, he could be very productive.

rj215
07-05-2008, 04:30 PM

Or we could draft a cornball Center with our top pick and watch him break every bone in his lower body every year but still make it to China for summerball. Then we could sign a overhyped SG/SF who sucks in the clutch and couldn't get out of the 1st round if you gave him a 3-1 lead.....

djohn14
07-05-2008, 04:40 PM
James Gist

mrspurs
07-05-2008, 06:04 PM

i recall that yr. clearly....sometimes you gotta shoot a hostage

Tully365
07-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Mahinmi isn't a d-leaguer, he's an NBA first rounder farmed out for some playing time. There is a difference.

It's also a sad fact of life that big men are overpaid, athletic ones even more so. About the only one I've seen mentioned in this thread that you have a prayer of getting for the LLE is Barron, and he sucks.

Using that logic, would you say Splitter isn't a euro-leaguer, but an NBA first rounder making some extra cash for a few years in Spain? Listen, I like Mahinmi and I am absolutely rooting for him, but I see some posts in this forum saying things like "Mahinmi will be our new D Robinson" or "Mahinmi will dominate" and I just think that those kind of expectations are unfounded at this point. I also see lots of posts saying that Nazr, Rasho, Elson, Horry, and Oberto are the worst players that ever walked the earth, etc., despite the fact that they all helped win championships. And I think it would be a shame if Mahinmi gave the Spurs something perfectly helpful like 18 mpg, 5 pts, 5 rebs next year and people starting saying the same thing about him. That's all I'm saying.

SenorSpur
07-05-2008, 06:22 PM

A Rockets fan is one to know, considering the fact that it was Rockets process of "tanking games" in during both the '83 & '84, which became the impetus for the creation of the NBA Draft Lottery.

SRJ
07-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Perhaps it wouldn't be so tough, if you bothered to take your head out of the sand.

When I watch, I see Oberto tipping rebounds no one in history could possibly grab. When a defender has inside position on a rebound, it is physically impossible to grab that board without fouling. None of our best rebounders (Duncan, Robinson, Rodman, etc.), at their best, could grab them.

It is flat out ignorant to say that Oberto is tipping rebounds other players could be grabbing. Frankly, back-tapping those rebounds is the only thing a player can do in that situation. But by all means, keep salivating about the idea of Spurs signing some mystery player who can grab the rebounds Oberto cannot.

Spurtacus
07-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Mahinmi and hopefully Gist. Gist isn't really a power forward, but if we go small, he's ideal. OR, bring in Mahinmi and sign a young, athletic PF/C with the LLE.

coachmac87
07-06-2008, 07:27 PM
yes i do...spurs need to start looking for a low post scorer who is a decent defender. It is easier finding a wings and guards because there are so many. But the two hardest positions to get a very solid player is the point guard and low post scorer.

i would rather have somebody who can score on the low block and get a block here and there and average about 8 boards...and the spurs should be golden.

underdawg
07-06-2008, 07:56 PM
yes i do...spurs need to start looking for a low post scorer who is a decent defender. It is easier finding a wings and guards because there are so many. But the two hardest positions to get a very solid player is the point guard and low post scorer.

i would rather have somebody who can score on the low block and get a block here and there and average about 8 boards...and the spurs should be golden.

Patrick O'Bryant