PDA

View Full Version : Complete list of all-time MLE signings ? (mle curse)

objective
07-04-2008, 05:20 PM
re: the Spurs spending the full MLE

Hollinger has a piece on ESPN now (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FreeAgency-080703) about the curse of the MLE where he lumps Beno Udrih and DeSagana Diop as the latest in a long line of full-MLE failures.

He lists :

Beno
Diop
Shareer Abdur-Rahim

as his MLE curse players.

Is there anything to the "MLE Curse"? Are players signed to full-mle deals statistically more likely to be busts?

Some others that come to mind for me as MLE busts, at least to my memory:

Brian Cardinal
Jerome James
Jared Jeffries

What other players have been signed to to full MLE deals? Maybe not years but dollar-wise.

Have the Spurs ever signed someone to a full MLE? Was Robert Horry on his first contract a full MLE player?

SenorSpur
07-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Don't forget Nazr Mohammed. He signed, I believe it was, a 5-yr 30 mil contract with Detroit by way of their MLE in '06. He played one season and was subsequently shipped off to the Bobtails.

Tully365
07-04-2008, 06:02 PM
re: the Spurs spending the full MLE

Hollinger has a piece on ESPN now (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FreeAgency-080703) about the curse of the MLE where he lumps Beno Udrih and DeSagana Diop as the latest in a long line of full-MLE failures.

He lists :

Beno
Diop
Shareer Abdur-Rahim

as his MLE curse players.

Is there anything to the "MLE Curse"? Are players signed to full-mle deals statistically more likely to be busts?

Some others that come to mind for me as MLE busts, at least to my memory:

Brian Cardinal
Jerome James
Jared Jeffries

What other players have been signed to to full MLE deals? Maybe not years but dollar-wise.

Have the Spurs ever signed someone to a full MLE? Was Robert Horry on his first contract a full MLE player?

The two JJs I almost would have to put under the NY Knick Curse, but Brian Cardinal was signed by Jerry West when he was with Memphis. At the time I thought it was strange, but like a lot of people, I assumed that West saw something there that I didn't....

Hopefully, Maggette signs with the Spurs and kills the Curse forever...

objective
07-04-2008, 06:03 PM
I could be wrong, but I think these players were signed with full MLE deals:

Antonio McDyess
Hedo Turkoglu
Stephen Jackson
Al Harrington edit: I don't think Harrington qualifies after looking at his cap numbers on hoopshype

baseline bum
07-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Derek Anderson (then again, it was 2 years with a player option after the first).

baseline bum
07-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Devean George
Gary Payton
Tim Thomas

thekingrobert
07-04-2008, 07:26 PM
I think Kapano was signed with the MLE also

exstatic
07-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Terry Porter was a full MLE signing in SA.

objective
07-04-2008, 07:31 PM
I think these qualify:

Earl Watson
Stromile Swift
Vladimir Radmanovic

maybe

Mike James

kobyz
07-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Corey Maggette

thekingrobert