PDA

View Full Version : Wilbon: For $111 Million, We Need More

duncan228
07-05-2008, 02:34 AM
Edit: Wrong forum, I'm sorry. Please move...:)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/04/AR2008070402693.html

For $111 Million, We Need More
By Michael Wilbon

Isn't it just fabulous, Gilbert Arenas putting aside his own basic needs to sacrifice for the greater good of Washington and the Wizards by accepting $111 million instead of $127 million? How unbelievably heroic can one man be? It's not like the $16 million surplus will allow the Wizards to go get Elton Brand, too. It will allow the Wizards to keep a couple of their own guys and not pay a big luxury tax. Whoop-de-doo!

Don't get me wrong, the Wizards handled this very, very skillfully. They did just what you have to do when trying not to offend an NBA superstar's fragile sensibilities. The Wizards "respected" Arenas by offering him the maximum contract allowable under league rules, then held their breath, hoping that Arenas would leave some money on the table and thus a little wiggle room for personnel procurement and tax relief. It worked in stark contrast to the Juwan Howard negotiations in 1996 when the then-Bullets cost themselves, oh, $80 million by failing to understand not just the market, but the way business usually must be done in the NBA.

The Wizards did probably all they could do in keeping Arenas and Antawn Jamison, short of tearing up the team and starting over. I like Arenas. I like him as a player. I certainly, as a sportswriter, like him as Washington's No. 1 copy-producing athlete-celebrity. I like his blog, his parties, the way he tosses his jersey into the stands after games. I like that he'll say exactly what's on his mind, that he sneaks into the gym at 2 a.m. to shoot jumpers. I like that he's stylish and engaging and even that he tries to come back too quickly from injuries.

Arenas is good for the business of basketball here, good for the business of talking sports. He's 26 and hasn't yet reached his prime. With Arenas as the centerpiece, surrounded by Jamison and Caron Butler, the Wizards should continue to be both competitive and entertaining. The team is viable, which for a long time simply wasn't the case.

But I don't know that I'd have given him $111 million -- or $100 million. If I pay somebody max dollars, I want it to be a player I feel confident can get me to the conference finals. Believe it or not, this may be asking too much. Of the players with the largest contracts in the NBA since 1999, only Kobe Bryant ($136 million) and Tim Duncan ($122 million) have gotten their teams to the NBA Finals. Jermaine O'Neal ($127 million), Rashard Lewis ($126 million) and Chris Webber ($123 million) have not -- though Lewis is only one season into his deal in Orlando and Webber was bumped from the Finals by terrible officiating in 2002.

Still, when payroll jumps, so do expectations. (Ask Mr. Quarter-Billion, Alex Rodriguez.) Does Arenas's new deal mean the Wizards are suddenly better than Cleveland? Absolutely not, not as long as LeBron James wears a Cavaliers uniform. James is 3-0 in playoff series vs. the Wizards, so this isn't arguable. Does Arenas's new wealth mean the Wizards are as good as Orlando? No, not unless the Wizards' big men are going to counteract Dwight Howard. Heck, I'm not even sure the Wizards are going to be better than Miami if the new coaching staff there figures out how to work in Michael Beasley with Dwyane Wade and Shawn Marion. Charlotte will definitely improve with Larry Brown on the bench. And I'm just looking at the division, not the entire Eastern Conference.

As spicy as the Arenas story has been, the development of the Wizards' big men is going to be more critical to the improvement of the team than anything. Just look at the Celtics: It's not just that Kevin Garnett is big and great, though he's both at 7 feet. It's that Boston hits you with 6-10, 264-pound Kendrick Perkins, long and athletic Leon Powe, 6-9, 289-pound Glen "Big Baby" Davis and 6-11 P.J. Brown. That's five bigs, who together work the body.

The Wizards will need Andray Blatche, Oleksiy Pecherov, Dominic McGuire, JaVale McGee and Brendan Haywood, if not others, to have a similar ensemble effect. And Nick Young will have to become a reliable big-time scorer off the bench.

A big reason to give the Wizards the benefit of the doubt is that Ernie Grunfeld is making these decisions. He's the one who built the Knicks into an NBA Finals team in 1994 and 1999. Grunfeld found Olympian Michael Redd in the second round, and stole a young Arenas from Golden State when the Warriors didn't know quite what they had. Grunfeld has proved that he has instincts for making the right move, and he's never wavered on the question of whether the Wizards should, or would, keep Arenas.

However, sooner rather than later we're going to come to the no-more-excuses portion of the program. This is the part where the key Wizards are expected to stay healthy the way highly paid stars ought to, where they actually play the kind of defense contenders play, where multiple all-stars gang up on supernovas like LeBron the way the Celtics did.

But in order for all these complementary players, role players and reserves to matter the way they should, the star has to be in place. That's the way it has been and probably always will be in the NBA. The Wizards have secured that player in their estimation. Arenas has no upcoming opt-out. There's no more testing the free agent waters. He is being paid an amount of money that doesn't seem discounted to the rest of us. It's time for him to listen to his coach, learn how to best use his teammates and take the Wizards deeper into May basketball, if not June. If he does that, he'll be worth $100 million-plus. If he doesn't, he won't be.

Tully365
07-05-2008, 02:53 AM
When Duncan agreed to take less than the max it didn't get nearly as much press as Arenas is getting now, and that's after Duncan's leadership delivered 4 titles...

Arenas is a good player, but Washington, with their 3 stars all signed and healthy, is probably still a 4-8 seed in the Eastern Conference.... and if they played in the West, quite possibly a bubble team that misses out on the playoffs altogether. I can see the Wizards being like Dominque's Hawks or last year's Warriors or Nuggets for the next five years... fun to watch and good, but never champs.

spurscenter
07-05-2008, 03:19 AM
When Duncan agreed to take less than the max it didn't get nearly as much press as Arenas is getting now, and that's after Duncan's leadership delivered 4 titles...

exactly but its S.A. no national writer comes to S.A. to mingle and chat basketball in off season

they are all based in east coast exposed to 7-10 different papers on a daily basis in love and star struck with the nature of the loud nba players vs. the tim duncans small market players that actually win.

mystargtr34
07-05-2008, 03:23 AM
What was funny to me.... Gilbert really had to stress the fact he left some money on the table...

Damn that dude is over paid.

sprrs
07-05-2008, 04:20 AM
But I don't know that I'd have given him $111 million -- or $100 million. If I pay somebody max dollars, I want it to be a player I feel confident can get me to the conference finals. Believe it or not, this may be asking too much. Of the players with the largest contracts in the NBA since 1999, only Kobe Bryant ($136 million) and Tim Duncan ($122 million) have gotten their teams to the NBA Finals. Jermaine O'Neal ($127 million), Rashard Lewis ($126 million) and Chris Webber ($123 million) have not -- though Lewis is only one season into his deal in Orlando and Webber was bumped from the Finals by terrible officiating in 2002.

Unfortunately, the market doesn't work like that. If the Wiz didn't give him the big money, someone else would have. At worst, Arenas puts fans in the stands, even if he doesn't make a team instant contenders.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Does anyone know how much Wilbon gets paid?

Kindergarten Cop
07-05-2008, 08:12 AM

Arenas is a good player, but Washington, with their 3 stars all signed and healthy, is probably still a 4-8 seed in the Eastern Conference.... and if they played in the West, quite possibly a bubble team that misses out on the playoffs altogether. I can see the Wizards being like Dominque's Hawks or last year's Warriors or Nuggets for the next five years... fun to watch and good, but never champs.

Also consider that Duncan wasn't an UFA - he signed an extension, which would obviously get less headlines than one of a FA considering offers from numerous teams. Oh, and D.C. is a bit of a larger market than S.A. ;)

mrspurs
07-05-2008, 08:17 AM
if you watch, buy, goto an nba game....then im pretty sure you helped pay for some of that gilbert arenas money......its all good and so is life....

DMX7
07-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Actually when Tim did it, it did get some national attention. However, he didn't leave nearly as much money on the table (but for him, leaving anything was nice because he is one of the few players worth every cent of a max contract).

Kindergarten Cop
07-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Actually when Tim did it, it did get some national attention. However, he didn't leave nearly as much money on the table (but for him, leaving anything was nice because he is one of the few players worth every cent of a max contract).

Actually depending on how you look at it, Duncan left more on the table. Agent Zero "refused" $16M that he could have received over a 6 year contract (an average of $2.67M/yr) and Tim turned down $11M off of a 2 year deal ($5.5M/yr). Obviously the Spurs benefit more from Tim leaving money on the table than the Wizards will in their situation.

duncan228
07-05-2008, 03:59 PM

Duncan left 11 million on the table, Arenas left 16 million.

Duncan's move got some national press, but not until quite a bit after it was done. And he didn't get anywhere near the attention Arenas is, but that's par for the course with Duncan and the Spurs.

SenorSpur
07-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Bottom line is Arenas IS NOT a max player. This is part of the economics of sport. A player is worth whatever a team is willing to pay. However, there is a such thing as overvaluing an asset. That is EXACTLY what the Blizzards have done here with Arenas. Sure he puts butts in seats, but his impact on the game isn't the same as a Duncan or Kobe or Wade or Lebron. Therefore, he's not a max player and the Blizzards WILL NOT win a title simply because of him.

DMX7
07-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Duncan left 11 million on the table, Arenas left 16 million.

Duncan's move got some national press, but not until quite a bit after it was done. And he didn't get anywhere near the attention Arenas is, but that's par for the course with Duncan and the Spurs.

I remember first hearing about Duncan's contract on SportsCenter. Is Arenas really getting as much attention as your claiming? This is a Washington Post article (where the Wizards play). I'm sure you can find more but I just don't see that many people lauding him as a hero.

peskypesky
07-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Bottom line is Arenas IS NOT a max player. This is part of the economics of sport. A player is worth whatever a team is willing to pay. However, there is a such thing as overvaluing an asset. That is EXACTLY what the Blizzards have done here with Arenas. Sure he puts butts in seats, but his impact on the game isn't the same as a Duncan or Kobe or Wade or Lebron. Therefore, he's not a max player and the Blizzards WILL NOT win a title simply because of him.

I am in full agreement with you. The Wizards have torpedoed any chances of a Championship now, but they will sell tickets. It seems that few teams REALLY care about putting together a team that will contend for a Championship.

duncan228
07-05-2008, 07:26 PM
I remember first hearing about Duncan's contract on SportsCenter. Is Arenas really getting as much attention as your claiming? This is a Washington Post article (where the Wizards play). I'm sure you can find more but I just don't see that many people lauding him as a hero.

I didn't say people were lauding him as a hero. But his leaving money on the table has gotten a lot of national press. Everywhere from NBA.com to the Associated press to the local beat writers in most NBA markets. He's a name that fills seats and sells articles. It's being talked about.

I follow Duncan, not Arenas. My point was only that Arenas has gotten much more attention for taking less than Duncan did. Duncan is big time, obviously there was press when he signed for less. But from what I've found there wasn't as much talk about it as there is about Arenas.

Again, that's par for the course with Duncan and the Spurs. Whatever the "story" is, they don't get the press attention that some other players/teams get.

angelbelow
07-05-2008, 09:22 PM
111 is overpaying because you arent sure if hes 100% or ever will be.

DMX7
07-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I didn't say people were lauding him as a hero. But his leaving money on the table has gotten a lot of national press. Everywhere from NBA.com to the Associated press to the local beat writers in most NBA markets. He's a name that fills seats and sells articles. It's being talked about.

I follow Duncan, not Arenas. My point was only that Arenas has gotten much more attention for taking less than Duncan did. Duncan is big time, obviously there was press when he signed for less. But from what I've found there wasn't as much talk about it as there is about Arenas.

Again, that's par for the course with Duncan and the Spurs. Whatever the "story" is, they don't get the press attention that some other players/teams get.

mmm... I just don't agree. You'll have to show me where most local markets are covering this beyond reprinting the same old AP article (except for Washington beat writers of course). I really don't think this is getting that much more attention but we could argue that forever.

The AP (which covers everything) at least managed to acknowledge it.

Associated Press:
Asked about reports that Duncan took $10 million less than he was eligible to receive so the team would have salary-cap flexibility in the future, Popovich said Duncan is "definitely special and that's just a very good example of how his brain works and what his priorities are."

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2007/10/30/1062941-duncan-spurs-agree-on-2-year-extension

spursnatic
07-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Edit: Wrong forum, I'm sorry. Please move...:)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/04/AR2008070402693.html

For $111 Million, We Need More
By Michael Wilbon

Isn't it just fabulous, Gilbert Arenas putting aside his own basic needs to sacrifice for the greater good of Washington and the Wizards by accepting $111 million instead of $127 million? How unbelievably heroic can one man be? It's not like the $16 million surplus will allow the Wizards to go get Elton Brand, too. It will allow the Wizards to keep a couple of their own guys and not pay a big luxury tax. Whoop-de-doo!

Don't get me wrong, the Wizards handled this very, very skillfully. They did just what you have to do when trying not to offend an NBA superstar's fragile sensibilities. The Wizards "respected" Arenas by offering him the maximum contract allowable under league rules, then held their breath, hoping that Arenas would leave some money on the table and thus a little wiggle room for personnel procurement and tax relief. It worked in stark contrast to the Juwan Howard negotiations in 1996 when the then-Bullets cost themselves, oh, $80 million by failing to understand not just the market, but the way business usually must be done in the NBA.

The Wizards did probably all they could do in keeping Arenas and Antawn Jamison, short of tearing up the team and starting over. I like Arenas. I like him as a player. I certainly, as a sportswriter, like him as Washington's No. 1 copy-producing athlete-celebrity. I like his blog, his parties, the way he tosses his jersey into the stands after games. I like that he'll say exactly what's on his mind, that he sneaks into the gym at 2 a.m. to shoot jumpers. I like that he's stylish and engaging and even that he tries to come back too quickly from injuries.

Arenas is good for the business of basketball here, good for the business of talking sports. He's 26 and hasn't yet reached his prime. With Arenas as the centerpiece, surrounded by Jamison and Caron Butler, the Wizards should continue to be both competitive and entertaining. The team is viable, which for a long time simply wasn't the case.

Still, when payroll jumps, so do expectations. (Ask Mr. Quarter-Billion, Alex Rodriguez.) Does Arenas's new deal mean the Wizards are suddenly better than Cleveland? Absolutely not, not as long as LeBron James wears a Cavaliers uniform. James is 3-0 in playoff series vs. the Wizards, so this isn't arguable. Does Arenas's new wealth mean the Wizards are as good as Orlando? No, not unless the Wizards' big men are going to counteract Dwight Howard. Heck, I'm not even sure the Wizards are going to be better than Miami if the new coaching staff there figures out how to work in Michael Beasley with Dwyane Wade and Shawn Marion. Charlotte will definitely improve with Larry Brown on the bench. And I'm just looking at the division, not the entire Eastern Conference.

As spicy as the Arenas story has been, the development of the Wizards' big men is going to be more critical to the improvement of the team than anything. Just look at the Celtics: It's not just that Kevin Garnett is big and great, though he's both at 7 feet. It's that Boston hits you with 6-10, 264-pound Kendrick Perkins, long and athletic Leon Powe, 6-9, 289-pound Glen "Big Baby" Davis and 6-11 P.J. Brown. That's five bigs, who together work the body.

The Wizards will need Andray Blatche, Oleksiy Pecherov, Dominic McGuire, JaVale McGee and Brendan Haywood, if not others, to have a similar ensemble effect. And Nick Young will have to become a reliable big-time scorer off the bench.

A big reason to give the Wizards the benefit of the doubt is that Ernie Grunfeld is making these decisions. He's the one who built the Knicks into an NBA Finals team in 1994 and 1999. Grunfeld found Olympian Michael Redd in the second round, and stole a young Arenas from Golden State when the Warriors didn't know quite what they had. Grunfeld has proved that he has instincts for making the right move, and he's never wavered on the question of whether the Wizards should, or would, keep Arenas.

However, sooner rather than later we're going to come to the no-more-excuses portion of the program. This is the part where the key Wizards are expected to stay healthy the way highly paid stars ought to, where they actually play the kind of defense contenders play, where multiple all-stars gang up on supernovas like LeBron the way the Celtics did.

But in order for all these complementary players, role players and reserves to matter the way they should, the star has to be in place. That's the way it has been and probably always will be in the NBA. The Wizards have secured that player in their estimation. Arenas has no upcoming opt-out. There's no more testing the free agent waters. He is being paid an amount of money that doesn't seem discounted to the rest of us. It's time for him to listen to his coach, learn how to best use his teammates and take the Wizards deeper into May basketball, if not June. If he does that, he'll be worth $100 million-plus. If he doesn't, he won't be. Yes I beleive that he should of taken a whole lot less money than what he took!! Like somewhere around 80 million or something in that area. Because truthfully I think after all of these knee surgeries, he might never come back the same? And then they might be able to get enough talent to get past the Cavs? Because if he doesn't come back to his old self, the Wizards are gonna be kicking theirselves in te ass for 6 miserable years in a row. You all remember the Allan Houston contract right??? And by the way, I thought he was going to take alot less to go win a Championship????

duncan228
07-05-2008, 10:33 PM
mmm... I just don't agree. You'll have to show me where most local markets are covering this beyond reprinting the same old AP article (except for Washington beat writers of course). I really don't think this is getting that much more attention but we could argue that forever.

The AP (which covers everything) at least managed to acknowledge it.

Associated Press:
Asked about reports that Duncan took $10 million less than he was eligible to receive so the team would have salary-cap flexibility in the future, Popovich said Duncan is "definitely special and that's just a very good example of how his brain works and what his priorities are."

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2007/10/30/1062941-duncan-spurs-agree-on-2-year-extension

We don't have to agree, and I tend not to argue too often. :)

In my reading over the last several days I've seen lots of press on the Arenas signing. It seems to me like more attention than Duncan got. I may be more sensitive to it because of how I follow Duncan.

In the end it doesn't mean anything. The Wizards did what they thought was best for them, and Arenas left money on the table.

Duncan did the same, my hope is that the Spurs can use it wisely and help Duncan bring home a couple more Titles before he hangs it up.

Oh...And that AP article was off. Duncan took 11 million less, not 10. :lol