PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Team for Seattle: Seattle Sonics

Brutalis
07-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Why not?

The Browns pretty much did it in Cleveland. If Sonic fans and the Seattle area is in such an uproar why not (if they get one) name their expansion team the Sonics? Same colors, jerseys, court, and everything.

Twisted_Dawg
07-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Seattle had ample oppurtunity to builld a new basketball arena and they didn't. The built new stadiums for their baseball and football teams. Screw them. I say no to a new team in Seattle. That is just one more competitor drafting players and signing free agents to unrealistic amounts driving up the cost for other teams. I can guarantee you that if the Spurs left SA, the league would never let us back in the game.

Darkwaters
07-05-2008, 09:18 AM
If you're going to give them an expansion team then why didn't you just keep a team there in the first place? No, the same arena problem still exists and the NBA won't let another team in there until it's resolved.

remingtonbo2001
07-05-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm sure there will be discussions in 5 years.

Biggems
07-05-2008, 01:21 PM
well if the NBA does expand again, I would like to see Seattle and either Kansas City or St. Louis. Then you would have 16 in each conference and you would have to realign to four 4-team divisions.

EAST
Northeast
Boston
Toronto
New York
New Jersey

Mideast
Washington
Philadelphia
Indiana
Memphis

Great Lakes
Chicago
Milwaukee
Detroit
Cleveland

Southeast
Atlanta
Charlotte
Orlando
Miami

WEST
Southwest
San Antonio
Houston
Dallas
New Orleans

Midwest
Minnesota
KC / St. Louis
Oklahoma City
Denver

Northwest
Seattle
Portland
Sacramento
Golden St.

Pacific
LA Lakers
LA Clippers
PHX
Utah

Then you redo the schedule to emphasize division games and rivalries. For this I will use the Spurs as my example

Spurs play 82 games

vs East: 2 games x 16 teams = 32 games (16 H, 16 A)

vs Southwest: 6 games x 3 teams = 18 games (9 H, 9 A)

vs Midwest: 4 games x 4 teams = 16 games (8 H, 8 A)

vs Northwest: 2 games x 4 teams = 8 games (4 H, 4 A)

vs Pacific: 2 games x 4 teams = 8 games (4 H, 4 A)

the next year they would play the Midwest 2 games each and Northwest 4 games each....and so on.

Twisted_Dawg
07-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Screw those coffee drinkers.

ducks
07-05-2008, 01:53 PM
why should they get another chance
they proved they can not support three major teams
they do not want to upgrade their stadium

ChumpDumper
07-05-2008, 02:28 PM
It will be a long time before the league expands again, and it will cost Seattle more than they ever would have put up for the original Sonics.

Biggems
07-05-2008, 03:28 PM
I am surprised that cities like Louisville, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Kansas City don't or haven't had teams in a few decades or more.

But St. Louis probably won't be getting an NBA team if the league does expand. They lost their pro team once.....they lost the Cardinals to Arizona. They will be eventually losing the Rams to LA.

Kansas City had the Kings, but they left for Sacramento in the 80s. I do not know if they would be able to support an NBA franchise or even if they would want one.

Cincinnati seems like it would be an excellent fit for a team. They seem to have a large population of rabid basketball fans. I am wondering why they have yet to get a team.

Louisville is another city that seems to have a rabid fan base when it comes to basketball. I think a team could thrive there. If I am not mistaken, Louisville and Cincinnati are relatively close to one another. So they could share interest in a team.

I have always wondered why Pittsburgh doesn't have a team. I guess the NBA isn't blue collar enough for the community. If they did have a team, I bet they would be a hard nosed team like the Pistons, Spurs, or the Heat/Knicks of the 90s. I doubt they would ever be a finesse team like the Suns or Warriors.

Another city that could be a possibility, but I do not know if Stern would ever go for it, Las Vegas. They could be the Las Vegas Gamblers. I just don't know if the league is ready for a team in Vegas, especially after the referee scandal.

Other Cities......Albequerque, Syracuse, Hartford, and Baltimore

Brutalis
07-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Guys, I wasn't saying they deserve a team. I was saying if Seattle gets a team they should name it Sonics and bring the colors and logo back.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure that's the plan.

Stand
07-05-2008, 05:07 PM
I find it hard to comprehend how fans of any small market team could be happy with how things in Seattle played out. Maybe some of you will change your tune when we are in full rebuilding mode and the Spurs ownership group starts threatening to move the team if we don't drop another 50 to 60 million into new renovations for the SBC center. Lets see how well that goes over when it isn't followed by the team winning one of these :lobt:.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2008, 05:09 PM
I didn't rent any hotel rooms or cars in San Antonio.

tp2021
07-05-2008, 06:53 PM
well if the NBA does expand again, I would like to see Seattle and either Kansas City or St. Louis. Then you would have 16 in each conference and you would have to realign to four 4-team divisions.

EAST
Northeast
Boston
Toronto
New York
New Jersey

Mideast
Washington
Philadelphia
Indiana
Memphis

Great Lakes
Chicago
Milwaukee
Detroit
Cleveland

Southeast
Atlanta
Charlotte
Orlando
Miami

WEST
Southwest
San Antonio
Houston
Dallas
New Orleans

Midwest
Minnesota
KC / St. Louis
Oklahoma City
Denver

Northwest
Seattle
Portland
Sacramento
Golden St.

Pacific
LA Lakers
LA Clippers
PHX
Utah

Then you redo the schedule to emphasize division games and rivalries. For this I will use the Spurs as my example

Spurs play 82 games

vs East: 2 games x 16 teams = 32 games (16 H, 16 A)

vs Southwest: 6 games x 3 teams = 18 games (9 H, 9 A)

vs Midwest: 4 games x 4 teams = 16 games (8 H, 8 A)

vs Northwest: 2 games x 4 teams = 8 games (4 H, 4 A)

vs Pacific: 2 games x 4 teams = 8 games (4 H, 4 A)

the next year they would play the Midwest 2 games each and Northwest 4 games each....and so on.

Most Intriguing! Good show, Biggems! Capital Work!

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2008, 07:48 PM
why should they get another chance
they proved they can not support three major teams
they do not want to upgrade their stadium

They supported the Sonics, they just didn't want to front a quarter of a billion for a new hoops arena when the one they have is perfectly okay.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Guys, I wasn't saying they deserve a team. I was saying if Seattle gets a team they should name it Sonics and bring the colors and logo back.

Um, that's pretty much why the team agreed to change its name and colors when moving to OKC - they cleared the way for a future expansion team to be the Sonics with the same colors.

itzsoweezee
07-05-2008, 07:52 PM
no expansion.

the league is just now recovering from the dilution in talent resulting from the previous expansion.

just move the grizzlies to seattle.

Biggems
07-05-2008, 11:02 PM
actually if any team should be moved it is Atlanta.....those fans have a horrible habit of not supporting their teams....well except for that loser Mike Vick. But, they take the Braves for granted and have for a decade now. I have seen more fans at a UTSA game than at a Hawks game.

Spurtacus
07-05-2008, 11:09 PM
no expansion.

the league is just now recovering from the dilution in talent resulting from the previous expansion.

just move the grizzlies to seattle.

ha I thought the same.

Seattle Grizzlies...

exstatic
07-06-2008, 11:07 AM
It'll be a LONG fucking time before they see NBA hoops in Seattle. The league isn't fucking strong enough to expand. It's a weak product right now, and not particularly in demand by viewers. Oh, and you can forget the Grizz for a while. They're iron-clad locked in for like 8 more years at FedEx, their brand new arena.