PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Help!

1Parker1
07-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I am trying to watch a video online, but it says I need to download Firefox. Anyone know exactly what this is or if it's safe? I know a lot of people talk about having it, but I wasn't sure if once I download it, it would change my internet settings alltogether or how it would affect my computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and I don't have access to the computer/tech forum otherwise I would have posted there! Sorry!

ashbeeigh
07-05-2008, 06:00 PM
It's just another internet browser. Some swear by it, others hate it. Go for it. Not a big deal. It'll take 5-10 minutes to download depending on how fast your connection is. It won't mess anything up, at all. Then you go can back to internet explorer.

jaffies
07-05-2008, 06:01 PM
nah, download it, give it a shot, if you don't like it just delete it.
It shouldn't change your internet settings unless you prompt it to. Firefox has also proven to be much safer than IE.

1Parker1
07-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks for your quick responses! I'll let you guys know how it goes. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to still use my usual internet explorer for my web browser.

ShoogarBear
07-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Why don't you have access to the tech forums?

Evan
07-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Firefox is the best browser IMO but some sites you need to go back to IE to get it to work right.

I have never heard of a site requiring FF...how odd.

Slomo
07-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Firefox is the best browser IMO but some sites you need to go back to IE to get it to work right.

I have never heard of a site requiring FF...how odd.

It's because certain sites are written using specific MS html code (ie that's the default setting of MS FrontPage) or use weird Java routines. While both conflict with recognized standards, they are none the less still used by some today.

The solution is easy: install FF's extension called IE Tab and it will open an IE windows within FF and if you want it will remember which website require IE Tab and automatically do it whenever you visit them,

As for the initial question: Download and install Firefox, it will coexist with whatever you have now. If you take the time to look at Firefox and compare it to IE you might actually never use IE again (it's faster, safer and more user friendly).

1Parker1
07-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Why don't you have access to the tech forums?

I don't know...I thought u need to get special permission or send Kori an email to access those forums....

1Parker1
07-05-2008, 08:03 PM
It's because certain sites are written using specific MS html code (ie that's the default setting of MS FrontPage) or use weird Java routines. While both conflict with recognized standards, they are none the less still used by some today.

The solution is easy: install FF's extension called IE Tab and it will open an IE windows within FF and if you want it will remember which website require IE Tab and automatically do it whenever you visit them,

As for the initial question: Download and install Firefox, it will coexist with whatever you have now. If you take the time to look at Firefox and compare it to IE you might actually never use IE again (it's faster, safer and more user friendly).

:lol I'm not too sure it's more user friendly.

Evan
07-05-2008, 08:14 PM

Awesome thanks. :toast

:lol I'm not too sure it's more user friendly.

How so? After my dads computer got completely bogged down with spyware I had him go the FF route and he has never once had a problem and he has to have me do anything even remotely "non basic" for him when it comes to computers.

IE is an exercise in frustration.

ShoogarBear
07-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I don't know...I thought u need to get special permission or send Kori an email to access those forums....

:lol B.S. You're just too snobby to post in the Geek Forum.

1Parker1
07-05-2008, 09:30 PM
:lol B.S. You're just too snobby to post in the Geek Forum.

:lol What are you talking about? I'm not too snobby to talk to YOU after all, Am I?

...EDIT, I just figured it out. I kept going to "Forum Jump" looking for the forums, but they are all actually listed way at the top under Index. Hmm, I would why not all are listed in the "Forum Jump" I guess it's just the most popular ones listed there.

Ok, in the future I know where to post it now!

ashbeeigh
07-05-2008, 09:31 PM
None of those Geek Forums, Troll Forums, etc show. Unless I should be looking somewhere else for them....

Click on index you'll get them all.

duncan228
07-05-2008, 11:45 PM
...EDIT, I just figured it out. I kept going to "Forum Jump" looking for the forums, but they are all actually listed way at the top under Index. Hmm, I would why not all are listed in the "Forum Jump" I guess it's just the most popular ones listed there.

They're in the Index, but they are also in the "Forum Jump" at the bottom of a page, just not in the one at the top of the page.

Slomo
07-06-2008, 02:55 AM
They're in the Index, but they are also in the "Forum Jump" at the bottom of a page, just not in the one at the top of the page.

timvp! paging Mr. timvp!

:p:

1Parker1
07-06-2008, 11:40 AM

Ahhh that explains it. I usually just use the "Forum Jump" to get from forum to forum and since I didn't see any of those other new forums on there, I just assumed you needed to email Kori to get access to them.