PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Punk Bands

midgetonadonkey
07-05-2008, 10:43 PM
1. NOFX - They have been around for over 20 years and never signed to a major label. They still tell the commercial music industry to fuck off. They have dedicated all of their most recent projects to sending out an anti-Bush message. They refuse to do interviews, refuse to bow to the industry and write music bitching about the current state of "punk" music. Nothing is more punk than shitting on your own genre.

2. The Ramones - What can you say about a band that pretty much started the trend in the U.S. Joey Ramone is a God. Nothing more can be said about them really.

3. Sex Pistols - Personally, I hate the Brits so I never got into their music but you can't deny their influence on the entire genre. Johnny Rotten is one of the greatest front men in history and Sid Vicious pretty much defines "punk" in his being. Anarchy in the UK and God Save the Queen are are two of the greatest punk songs ever recorded.

Honorable Mention: The Decendents, The Misfits, The Vandals, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys

Thoughts???

Ronaldo McDonald
07-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Rancid and The Clash.

dickface
07-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Blink-182, Green Day, and the Jonas Brothers.

midgetonadonkey
07-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Blink-182, Green Day, and the Jonas Brothers.

:lmao

Ronaldo McDonald
07-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Sum 41

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Bad Religion should go somewhere in there.

1. Ramones
2. Bad Religion
3. The Misfits

N.Y. Johnny
07-05-2008, 10:58 PM
1. Ramones

2. Sex Pistols

3. The Misfits

dickface
07-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Seriously tho, all of the aforementioned (minus the shity stuff), and add Screeching Weasel. If ur gonna do pop punk, at least do it right.

midgetonadonkey
07-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Bad Religion should go somewhere in there.

I meant to put them in honorable mention simply because Mr. Brett started Epitaph.

midgetonadonkey
07-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Seriously tho, all of the aforementioned (minus the shity stuff), and add Screeching Weasel. If ur gonna do pop punk, at least do it right.

None of the bands I mentioned are pop punk. To me, pop punk is more like Green Day, Sum 41, Offspring and other radio punk bands.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Pop punk makes my ears bleed.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-05-2008, 11:09 PM
The Clash
Circle Jerks
Fear
Social Unrest

Needed to have 4. Not making the list but should be mentioned 4-Skins and Code of Honor.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-05-2008, 11:17 PM
sZpKBB-Z_qo

CuckingFunt
07-06-2008, 12:11 AM
The Clash, The Ramones, and X.

remingtonbo2001
07-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Blink 182- Chesire Cat, Dude Ranch, and Enema of the State

IMHO, Blink was the only band to make Pop Punk work. They also put up a decent comedy routine.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-06-2008, 12:25 AM
hmm. no mention of bad brains. not even an honorable mention.

mrsmaalox
07-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Well of course no one can dispute the Sex Pistols, the Ramones and the greatest one, the Clash. But I also liked the BoomTown Rats, BeastieBoys and the Plasmatics.

dallaskd
07-06-2008, 12:31 AM
if blink is considered punk, then its blink 182. they are my favorite band of all time.

midgetonadonkey
07-06-2008, 12:33 AM
if blink is considered punk, then its blink 182. they are my favorite band of all time.

No they aren't. Blink 182 is a boy band. Just like NSync and Backstreet Boys.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-06-2008, 12:33 AM
if blink is considered punk, then its blink 182. they are my favorite band of all time.blink is not punk. theyre pop punk. punk bands don't make love songs.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-06-2008, 12:36 AM

+1

Blink is POP just like Greengay

O-Factor
07-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Blink 182 Owns all...........

kidding

sUPER sOAKER
07-06-2008, 01:41 AM
eve 6

smash mouth

sugar ray

Viva Las Espuelas
07-06-2008, 01:53 AM
ok now this has been hijacked.

Slomo
07-06-2008, 03:04 AM
1. NOFX - They have been around for over 20 years and never signed to a major label. They still tell the commercial music industry to fuck off. They have dedicated all of their most recent projects to sending out an anti-Bush message. They refuse to do interviews, refuse to bow to the industry and write music bitching about the current state of "punk" music. Nothing is more punk than shitting on your own genre.

2. The Ramones - What can you say about a band that pretty much started the trend in the U.S. Joey Ramone is a God. Nothing more can be said about them really.

3. Sex Pistols - Personally, I hate the Brits so I never got into their music but you can't deny their influence on the entire genre. Johnny Rotten is one of the greatest front men in history and Sid Vicious pretty much defines "punk" in his being. Anarchy in the UK and God Save the Queen are are two of the greatest punk songs ever recorded.

Honorable Mention: The Decendents, The Misfits, The Vandals, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys

Thoughts???

Good list I would change the order to Sex Pistols, Ramones, NOFX - but that's just me.

Agree!

I like the Clash, but they became mainstream way too fast.

remingtonbo2001
07-06-2008, 05:03 AM

No.

I take serious offense to that notion. Blink 182 produced their own music, from composition to lyrics

Unlike NSync.

Unlike the Backstreet Boys.

Whether you enjoy their music, is up for debate.

Blink 182 was a band, not merely a group of entertainers.

Their music is influenced by bands mentioned by posters such as yourself.

I'm sure Mark and Tom are well aquinted with members of the bands mentioned.

However, you mock them.

And for what reason.

Because you simply can't relate to their music.

Because they opened a door for those of us who hadn't previously listened to the Romone's, the opportunity to hear their music.

Do you know what it takes to compose a song?

And, no I'm not talking about making a beat on ACID.

Actually siting down and writing a song

That's just a song.

When you able to compose as many successful albums as Blink 182, you must be doing something right.

Ronaldo McDonald
07-06-2008, 12:48 PM
What about Operation Ivy?

They only made one album (Energy), but it is really good.

Ronaldo McDonald
07-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Blink 182's stuff is mostly manfuctured and fake, just like most of The Bealtes earlier stuff. But, that not to say it isn't good. I personally like some of it, but they just shouldn't be talked about in this thread.

manufor3
07-06-2008, 01:36 PM
green day

midgetonadonkey
07-06-2008, 02:25 PM
No.

I take serious offense to that notion. Blink 182 produced their own music, from composition to lyrics

Unlike NSync.

Unlike the Backstreet Boys.

Whether you enjoy their music, is up for debate.

Blink 182 was a band, not merely a group of entertainers.

Their music is influenced by bands mentioned by posters such as yourself.

I'm sure Mark and Tom are well aquinted with members of the bands mentioned.

However, you mock them.

And for what reason.

Because you simply can't relate to their music.

Because they opened a door for those of us who hadn't previously listened to the Romone's, the opportunity to hear their music.

Do you know what it takes to compose a song?

And, no I'm not talking about making a beat on ACID.

Actually siting down and writing a song

That's just a song.

When you able to compose as many successful albums as Blink 182, you must be doing something right.

Just because they are able to compose songs doesn't make them a punk band. They went mainstream and started to make music for radio and MTV. That in itself makes them not punk.

duckdick
07-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Leave Bo alone.
So what if he likes to listen to blink 182 while Angel him engage in some heavy, non penatrational petting.

ATRAIN
07-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Did someone on here say beastie boys? WTF

samikeyp
07-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Sex Pistols
The Clash
The Ramones

peewee's lovechild
07-06-2008, 03:54 PM
BeastieBoys

Are you just randomly picking out names out of the interwebs?

peewee's lovechild
07-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Clash
Ramones
Misfits

peewee's lovechild
07-06-2008, 03:56 PM
How could Midge put The Pistols above The Misfits?

ATRAIN
07-06-2008, 03:56 PM

Fucking dumb cunt

mrsmaalox
07-06-2008, 04:16 PM

No. I blindfolded myself and drew names out of a hat. :rolleyes

I didn't see where there was a timeline specified by the OP so going by that the Beastie Boys definitely qualify. It's true the last 2 decades or so they have morphed into hip hop which is why I don't listen to them anymore. But they began in the 70's (I don't have the album or I would be more specific) as a true, very hardcore punk band.

PakiDan
07-06-2008, 04:34 PM
How could you leave off the Pogues!? Shane McGowan practically invented the bloody bad boy punk rock image.

mrsmaalox
07-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Fucking dumb cunt

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/beastie_boys/bio.jhtml
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the first white rap group of any importance, the Beastie Boys received the scorn of critics and strident hip-hop musicians, who accused them of cultural pirating,
especially since they began as a hardcore punk group in 1981. But the Beasties weren't pirating -- they treated rap as part of a post-punk musical underground, where the do-it-yourself aesthetics of hip-hop and punk weren't that far apart. Of course, the exaggerated b-boy and frat-boy parodies of their unexpected hit debut album, Licensed to Ill, didn't help their cause. For much of the mid-'80s, the Beastie Boys were considered as macho clowns, and while their ambitious, Dust Brothers-produced second album, Paul's Boutique, dismissed that theory, it was ignored by both the public and the press at the time. In retrospect, it was one of the first albums to predict the genre-bending, self-referential pop kaleidoscope of '90s pop. The Beasties refined their eclectic approach with 1992's Check Your Head, where they played their own instruments. Check Your Head brought the Beasties back to the top of the charts, and within a few years, they were considered one of the most influential and ambitious groups of the '90s, cultivating a musical community not only through their music, but with their record label, Grand Royal, and their magazine of the same name.

It was remarkable turn of events for a group that demonstrated no significant musical talent on their first records. All three members of the Beastie Boys -- Mike D (born Mike Diamond, November 20, 1966), MCA (born Adam Yauch, August 5, 1965), and Ad-Rock (born Adam Horovitz, October 31, 1967) -- came from wealthy middle-class Jewish families in New York and had become involved in the city's punk underground when they were teenagers in the early '80s. Diamond and Yauch formed the Beastie Boys with drummer Kate Schellenbach and guitarist John Berry in 1981, and the group began playing underground clubs around New York. The following year, the Beasties released the 7" EP Pollywog Stew on the indie Rat Cage to little attention. That year, the band met Horovitz, who had formed the hardcore group the Young and the Useless. By early 1983, Schellenbach and Berry had left the group -- they would later join Luscious Jackson and Thwig, respectively -- and Horovitz had joined the Beasties. The revamped group released the rap record "Cookie Puss" as a 12" single later in 1983. Based on a prank phone call the group made to Carvel Ice Cream, the single became an underground hit in New York. By early 1984, however, they had abandoned punk and turned their attention to rap.

samikeyp
07-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Ok so if you take them just for their punk work...they are still not top 3.

J.T.
07-06-2008, 05:02 PM
I can't listen to The Ramones anymore because there was this gay dude when I was in 11th grade that worshiped them and said he wished Johnny Ramone was still alive so that he could fuck him for the rest of time. . . Yeah, that's a tough image to get out of my mind.

Now let's play a game called Spot The Fail. Hint, there are 3.

My list:

1. My Chemical Romance
2. Fall Out Boy
3. Panic At The Disco

On the subject of Blink 182, they are definitely a pop band, but unlike most pop groups they did actually write their own music. So I give them a pass up until their last two albums. The "Pants and Jacket" album was pretty bad but it had one or two decent songs on it, plus the lyrics were still funny and weird on most songs. Their last album SUCKED. Why go away from what people know you for? That'd be like KISS putting out a disco album.

mrsmaalox
07-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Ok so if you take them just for their punk work...they are still not top 3.

:oops Sorry I thought this was personal opinion. If not, then I withdraw all my choices because I am not qualified to proclaim/dispute the greatest, end-all punk bands of all time! ;)

___uPtOwNgIrL___
07-06-2008, 05:20 PM
:oops Sorry I thought this was personal opinion. If not, then I withdraw all my choices because I am not qualified to proclaim/dispute the greatest, end-all punk bands of all time! ;)

you are probably a top 3 non-troll worst poster on this site.

samikeyp
07-06-2008, 05:20 PM

It was personal opinion....as was what I said.

ATRAIN
07-06-2008, 05:22 PM

mrsmaalox
07-06-2008, 05:22 PM

Who the fuck are you?!

samikeyp
07-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Looks like Mouse has a new troll. :)

ATRAIN
07-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Looks like Mouse has a new troll. :)

Mouse or not I like this troll already

dickface
07-06-2008, 05:42 PM
None of the bands I mentioned are pop punk. To me, pop punk is more like Green Day, Sum 41, Offspring and other radio punk bands.

I wasn't calling the bands you mentioned pop punk, I was just saying that Screeching Weasel is considered 'Pop punk" by some, but their music wasn't dickless faggy Blink/Green Day/Good Charlotte crap.

dickface
07-06-2008, 05:44 PM
damn peewee and Atrain are some fucking dumbshits for not knowing that the Beastie Boys started off as a punk band. But their punk career sucked worse than their rap career, and their rap career is an absolute abortion.

midgetonadonkey
07-06-2008, 08:17 PM
How could Midge put The Pistols above The Misfits?

I had to rate them above because they are a bigger influence and have two of the most classic punk songs. The Misfits were going to go up there but their shitty career after Danzig left couldn't allow me to put them up there.

peewee's lovechild
07-06-2008, 08:31 PM
damn peewee and Atrain are some fucking dumbshits for not knowing that the Beastie Boys started off as a punk band. But their punk career sucked worse than their rap career, and their rap career is an absolute abortion.

Yea, since they have such a large body of work in the Punk genre, your and saggytits' opinions are extremely valid here.

We're talking about Punk bands, not white pussy Jews who "started" as a Punk band but then found out how much they sucked they decided to be gimmikie and launch careers as rap's first whities and lead the way for Vanilla Ice and Emminem.

Great call there, stupid fucks.

peewee's lovechild
07-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I had to rate them above because they are a bigger influence and have two of the most classic punk songs. The Misfits were going to go up there but their shitty career after Danzig left couldn't allow me to put them up there.

Pistols are overrated, in my opinion, but I can see how they "influenced" Punk and they did have the "attitude". But, I've always felt it was all show and rehearsed, except for may Sid Vicious. Johnny Rotten bothers the fuck out of me.

Anyway, Misfits (with Glenn Danzig) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sex Pistols.

mrsmaalox
07-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Yea, since they have such a large body of work in the Punk genre, your and saggytits' opinions are extremely valid here.

We're talking about Punk bands, not white pussy Jews who "started" as a Punk band but then found out how much they sucked they decided to be gimmikie and launch careers as rap's first whities and lead the way for Vanilla Ice and Emminem.

Why do you always have to be that way? Did I insult your opinion or call you names? As far as I'm concerned you can believe whatever you want and like/dislike whatever you want, makes no difference to me. I've never felt the need to disparage you for expressing your opinion.

07-06-2008, 09:44 PM
J.F.A.
Suicidal Tendencies
Agent Orange

remingtonbo2001
07-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Blink 182's stuff is mostly manfuctured and fake.

How so?

Strike
07-06-2008, 09:59 PM

Thoughts???

Bad Religion.

peewee's lovechild
07-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Why do you always have to be that way? Did I insult your opinion or call you names? As far as I'm concerned you can believe whatever you want and like/dislike whatever you want, makes no difference to me. I've never felt the need to disparage you for expressing your opinion.

Just have fun listening to your badass Bestie Boys punk albums.

slayermin
07-06-2008, 10:07 PM

Thoughts???

Tough to argue with that list.

My three personal favorites are:

Lagwagon - They are on the Fat Wreck Chords label with NoFx plus they infused some of the R.K.L. sound into their style. I could listen to them for hours on end and not get tired of them.

D.R.I. - If you love Slayer, you will love D.R.I. They are punk with a metal sound. They started in the early 80's so I would bet they influenced many, many bands.

Bad Religion - Great lyrics, great music. If you don't like Bad Religion, you suck.

Condemned 2 HelLA
07-06-2008, 10:39 PM
1) (tie) Sex Pistols/Ramones
2) Dead Kennedys
3) Black Flag

Honorable mentions:
Discharge, G.B.H., Raw Power, M.D.C., Dayglo Abortions, the Exploited, Fear, Circle Jerks, Dr. Know, Poison Idea, the Mentors, (early) Corrosion of Conformity and (early) Suicidal Tendencies.

Blink 182, Green Day, the Offspring, Sum 41 and the like are laughable at best and have no credibility whatsoever. All they did was take "punk" from the clubs and put it on MTV and in the shopping malls across the nation.

dimsah
07-07-2008, 04:28 AM
I'm going with.

The Misfits
Dead Kennedys
Minor Threat

dickface
07-07-2008, 08:39 AM

I didn't say they were any good or worthy of being discussed here, but the fact is that they started off as a punk band. Don't be a pissy little faggot bitch just because you're a dumbfuck who didn't know.

peewee's lovechild
07-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I didn't say they were any good or worthy of being discussed here, but the fact is that they started off as a punk band. Don't be a pissy little faggot bitch just because you're a dumbfuck who didn't know.

Don't be pussy little faggot bitch just because I called her out, and you as well, for not understanding that we are talking about punk bands, not bands that "started" off as punk but are known for their rap.

You don't seem to understand that, dickface.

Thunder Dan
07-07-2008, 03:57 PM
My Top 5 are

1. Good Charlotte
2. Sum 41
3. Blink 182
4. Ramones (I only know that one song..Blitzkrieg Rock)
5. Simple Plan

Spurminator
07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
The Who and The Kinks.

Everything else sucks. Well, except Bad Religion.

to21
07-07-2008, 05:19 PM
When Tupac and Biggie come out with Punk albums....................it'll be over.

Until then:
1. The Ramones
2. NOFX
3. Sex Pistols
999. Beastie Boys

HM: ST, DRI, The Misfits, Rise Against (hadn't heard them till Gutiar Hero...LOL)

leemajors
07-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Can A.C. be considered punk?

Bandit2981
07-07-2008, 08:07 PM
No love for Social Distortion?

u2sarajevo
07-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Dead Kennedys..... Dead Milkmen.....

and for good measure the best punk band with the gayest name..... The Circle Jerks.

Thunder Dan
07-07-2008, 09:24 PM
No love for Social Distortion?

(forgetting my joke of a post before) Social D is one of my favorite bands

remingtonbo2001
07-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Strung Out.

peewee's lovechild
07-07-2008, 10:33 PM
My Top 5 are

1. Good Charlotte
2. Sum 41
3. Blink 182
4. Ramones (I only know that one song..Blitzkrieg Rock)
5. Simple Plan

:lol

What, no Springsteen?

Vinnie_Johnson
07-07-2008, 11:26 PM
J.F.A.
Suicidal Tendencies
Agent Orange

Skater? What about DRI Black Flag and MDC I think they were from Texas too.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-07-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm going with.

The Misfits
Dead Kennedys
Minor Threat

Great call Minor Threat I used to love that band.:toast

mrsmaalox
07-07-2008, 11:57 PM
When Tupac and Biggie come out with Punk albums....................it'll be over.

Until then:
1. The Ramones
2. NOFX
3. Sex Pistols
999. Beastie Boys

HM: ST, DRI, The Misfits, Rise Against (hadn't heard them till Gutiar Hero...LOL)

I can live with that! :toast

Guru of Nothing
07-08-2008, 12:30 AM
I like these three:

pmVCdPe2_Ao

oAhIs_DV0KA

k2cQPln0Fr8

remingtonbo2001
07-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Less than Jake.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-08-2008, 08:48 AM
NY Dolls were Glam Rockers.

RandomGuy
07-08-2008, 01:24 PM

Thoughts???

I would generally agree, but the Clash has to get an honorable mention there too.

OI

RandomGuy
07-08-2008, 01:25 PM

Don't hold back, man. I get the feeling you are trying to say something here...

Vinnie_Johnson
07-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Don't hold back, man. I get the feeling you are trying to say something here...

monosylab1k
07-08-2008, 01:42 PM
I dunno, I always kinda liked Blink 182. I mean, they're not at all punk, they're pop all the way, but I always thought they were catchy. At least they stuck to what they knew and wrote songs about girls, masturbation, or farting and not much else. When their act got tired, they gave it up, rather than get "mature" and ride the wave of Anti-American, Anti-Bush sentiment in order to keep their careers alive, the way Green Day did. Green Day is the worst band in music history.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Green Day is the worst band in music history.
i give that to R.E.M.

remingtonbo2001
07-08-2008, 02:28 PM
I dunno, I always kinda liked Blink 182. I mean, they're not at all punk, they're pop all the way, but I always thought they were catchy. At least they stuck to what they knew and wrote songs about girls, masturbation, or farting and not much else. When their act got tired, they gave it up, rather than get "mature" and ride the wave of Anti-American, Anti-Bush sentiment in order to keep their careers alive, the way Green Day did. Green Day is the worst band in music history.

+1

Spurminator
07-08-2008, 02:33 PM
For me, Green Day >>> Blink 182

I agree that Green Day got in over their heads trying to be political but they still make good catchy music.

Spurminator
07-08-2008, 02:34 PM
i give that to R.E.M.

Kiss.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Kiss.
watch it sucka!

Guru of Nothing
07-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Kiss.

I'm thinking of a different 4-letter band name. :blah

Spurminator
07-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Of course you are, you anti-Geddyite.

Thunder Dan
07-09-2008, 02:41 PM
:lol

What, no Springsteen?

People have been killed for mentioning Good Charlotte and the Boss in the same sentence

Ronaldo McDonald
07-09-2008, 02:44 PM
I can't stand Good Charlotte.

Thunder Dan
07-09-2008, 03:06 PM
I can't stand Good Charlotte.

they are the best punk band around- them and My Chemical Romance (who are from Jersey)

JustSpurs
07-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Dead Kennedys
Sex Pistols
Ramones
and anyone else on the "No New York" Compilation.

Mr Dio
07-11-2008, 12:30 AM
http://www.poster.net/ramones/ramones-logo-3701424.jpg

___uPtOwNgIrL___
07-11-2008, 01:23 AM
korn

diturbing daisy

misread print

Vinnie_Johnson
07-11-2008, 12:36 PM
korn

diturbing daisy